• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

GymWolf

Game was pure garbage, MMO style gameplay in a single player RPG is a big nono imo. Remaster looks like dogshit too, I'll pass.
Mmo style of gameplay? Maybe you are mistaken with another game, the combat was action real time, nothing to share with stuff like wow or ff14...
Are you talking about the quest?

Lanrutcon

Mmo style of gameplay? Maybe you are mistaken with another game, the combat was action real time, nothing to share with stuff like wow or ff14...

I think he's talking about the general structure of the game. It did have a single-player MMO feeling to it, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

GenericUser

yeah, the general structure of the game. The pacing reminded me of a MMO instead of a well paced single player rpg. The game made high promises, but underdelivered.

vkbest

Add: I notice at the bottom of that page, it says "improved graphical fidelity". I suspect they would state definitively if they had jumped up to 60fps. So, will probably take a pass on this.

Bayonetta PS4 port is 60 FPS, and PSN not mention that. The marketing is visuals not framerate, that is because we have so much AAA games at 30fps.

Last edited:
I didn't know this game was so revered. It looked so generic that I never even got the urge to try the demo. Will definitely try the remaster.

Banned
It’s incredible just how much better this game is than that piece of shit Skyrim.

oh damn, that's a hot take lol.
I mean I agree with you, but many people seem to like bug-ridden games with dogshit attack animations, awful fighting systems and bad AI 🤣🤣 and they might disagree

Bayonetta PS4 port is 60 FPS, and PSN not mention that. The marketing is visuals not framerate, that is because we have so much AAA games at 30fps.

the difference being that Bayonetta was a 60fps game from the start (well, on everything other than the PS3) so 60fps was not only expected but a necessity, while Kingdoms of Amalur was a 30fps game meaning an improvement in that department could be used for PR.
so why didn't they? likely because it isn't 60 or they simply don't think it's a big deal.

Last edited:

T-Cake

I always get excited about this game but then I remember the massive amount of backtracking you have to do because of lack of fast travel points, especially during the dwarven city bits.

cormack12

Gold Member
Holy shit, this is massive! Wasn't their a dispute over the rights or something? Can we expect this on PS4, X1X?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Fell off this game after trying to get into it for a good while. Think it was just too generic for me. It had no real ideas of it's own, it was just yet another fantasy with elves & magic & all that.

Could maybe be tempted to give it another try though. I remember the combat was quite fun.

Chastten

Banned
Nice! I think this is the only Western RPG I've enjoyed so far. Sure, it was incredibly easy but it felt incredible to enter a room or cave, unleash a few AOE spells and watch everything go down before they even noticed you.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I bought the PC version years ago on a Steam sale. I actually installed it and was getting ready to pick it up, but now I’ll just see what this looks like.

Daymos

This is my only platinum trophy, I did everything you could do. That said it was way too easy. As you entered each 'zone' it locks the whole zone into levels like your own, so if you went exploring early on you just killed the challenge in every zone you entered for later on.

Even realizing that though and not entering a new zone until I had done everything I cared to, it was easy-peasy on hard mode. If you want challenge you have to pick hard and then basically do a speedrun, then it'd take some skill to beat.

Hopefully they fixed all that somehow. Still great fun to play though, a little like skyrim meets world of warcraft with combat like zelda. 4 talent trees that all play differently and 3 'guilds' to join, each with their own story separate from the main story.

Last edited:
EZrMW8fWsAcwZt0

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Incredible. I hope this leads to a sequel, though THQ has yet to prove they can put out a decent game that isn't a remaster. Still, this has me more excited then next gen almost!

soulbait

I remember playing this years ago......I got hard stuck when a quest character never appeared where he was supposed to be. I don't remember the details anymore, but it made it where no more quests ever became available. Never played it again.

Same. I have been wanting to try it again, but the impassable bugs killed it for me. If those issues have been fixed, then I will give it a shot.

Fbh

Nice, will definitely pick up. I missed it back in the day.
It's one of those games that bombed but seems to consistently get good comments from people (as evidenced by this thread)

Neo_game

Very underrated game. Why it took them so long for this ? I think it is too little too late. Hope I am wrong though.

Hope it comes to other systems as well, this game is stupidly good.

State. It bankrupted the state of Maine. It as a crazy story. They assembled a fantasy-creator dream team and it all went to shit because of a run away budget.
According to this video it was the state of Rhode Island.

Pejo

Interesting remaster. It was a fun game but by god did it get too easy too quickly. I'll pick it up on the cheap sometime in the distant future.

T-Cake

I wonder what the PC version gets. The UI is a bit small at 4K resolution, I hope they fix that aspect of it.

Last edited:
I'm pretty stoked to get one of my favorite games of the 7th gen.

To anyone who wants to get to know better the story behind what happened with the game

Sorne

Yes ! I remember this game as a really awesome single player type mmo, with amazing combat. Hope it still holds up!

lmao there is a limited special edition for this.

Will happily buy this for ps4, first time through on 360 was a blast. I remember getting some crazy epic hammer drop from a freakin treestump really early on that carried me through like half the game.

Yeah, it was supposed to launch this big franchise and they shit the bed with it. Seeing it resurrected like this means they must be testing the waters for a possible new entry.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Never actually finished this game. Combat was fun, but I remember the quests really lacking.

I do remember they made this game almost as a test for their planned MMORPG.

GreenAlien

I vaguely remember being really bored. Might have lost myself in side quests or something :-/

... and I wonder what the "refined gameplay" entails..

Last edited:

GymWolf

oh damn, that's a hot take lol.
I mean I agree with you, but many people seem to like bug-ridden games with dogshit attack animations, awful fighting systems and bad AI 🤣🤣 and they might disagree

the difference being that Bayonetta was a 60fps game from the start (well, on everything other than the PS3) so 60fps was not only expected but a necessity, while Kingdoms of Amalur was a 30fps game meaning an improvement in that department could be used for PR.
so why didn't they? likely because it isn't 60 or they simply don't think it's a big deal.
i don't like skyrim, but you already cited the only things where amalur is better than skyrim: animations, combat and being bug-less, everything else is better or more varied in skyrim.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Oh, nice. I had been looking for open world RPG's to play, and I saw this one come recommended pretty frequently. I honestly had never even heard of it, but moved on to other options since it looked a bit dated. I'll hold off for the remake and give it a shot.

deafmedal

I’ll definitely pick this up for PS4, I enjoyed the combat quite a bit even if it was piss easy. The lore was ehhh but they were trying to build a universe and I would have loved to see where they went with it. Always wanted to do another run but it never happened.

Oddly enough this game is what brought me to GAF... I was at the 38 Studios forum and someone linked to a thread Curt was posting in here and said wow! look at this crazy forum! I wanna join! I fondly remember Curt jizzing himself wrt the doors in the game heh.

Great game with the most boring lore ever. It's amazing how much writing it has - and how terribly boring it is. Anyway the gameplay and world design is dope so who cares about the writing?
The way it was delivered was also incredibly bland. I couldn't be bothered to listen to the monotone voice of these Lorestones and just didn't care for them.

Top Bottom