• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory |OT| Includes the most iconic song in gaming history

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
kmWXMv6.png

KxGp4vG.png

Jump in the Gummi Ship and take off to find out what’s next for the Sora, Donald, Goofy, and the gang while showing off your rhythm action skills and defeating Heartless in your favorite Disney worlds.

You don’t have to go it alone though – challenge your friends in Battle Mode, or team up for victory with Co-op.

You’ll also get a helping hand from Disney guest characters such as Aladdin, Hercules, and Mulan. Remember, your friends are your power!

screenshot-35.jpg

screenshot-36.jpg

screenshot-38.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

ynm0k2u.png

DQtPlZE.png

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Tried the demo on Switch. Not bad, but not as immediate and addictive as the wonderful Theatrhythm.

A bit too expensive as well. Yep, there’s more than 100 tracks, but come on.

Saber

Gold Member
Probably won't. Not my cup of tea at all, even for a KH fan like myself.

If theres anything worth of story info on it I'm gonna watch on youtube, sorry.

jshackles

Tried the demo on Switch. Not bad, but not as immediate and addictive as the wonderful Theatrhythm.

A bit too expensive as well. Yep, there’s more than 100 tracks, but come on.
I agree, this would have been loads better if it were a $40 "budget" title rather than a full priced game.

Regardless, I picked it up on the Switch after playing the demo. I'm not the world's biggest Kingdom Hearts fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I loved the Theatrhythm games and played them to absolute death. There is a lot of stuff in this game that feels a lot like those games obviously but in my opinion the music isn't quite a good or iconic (lol). As for the addiction, I'm finding it be very much the same - play songs to unlock new worlds and level up your team. I wish you could trade out team members at-will though like Theatrhythm. The map is massive though, and I feel like I'll definitely be getting a huge amount of play time out of this game personally.

Last edited:

jshackles

Spent a few hours with this game last night, made it past the first "boss" level and unlocked the second team. Initial impressions below:
  • Game runs incredibly well on the Switch. I would love to see the first two games (at least) available on the platform.
  • I haven't played the original Kingdom Hearts all the way through since it first came out on PS2, so the recap story scenes are actually kinda nice.
  • The game's music is really good, but it wish it included more Disney classics. So far Halloween Town (Nightmare Before Christmas) and Part of That World (The Little Mermaid) have been the standout songs because they're the only ones I've encountered so far that weren't specifically made for Kingdom Hearts.
  • It's cool that the card collecting aspect of Theatrhythm is back, and this time collecting new cards actually gives you small bonuses.
  • Having "guests" join you is pointless - outside of the "ohhh cool Aladdin is in my party for this level" awe factor.
  • Items are (mostly) worthless. This is no different than items in Theatrhythm though.
  • The crafting system is cool, I suppose. The more you craft, the more your crafting Moogle "levels up" which unlocks new things to craft. You get shard components for completing levels, and you can also craft music which is playable in the free play mode.
  • The world map is HUGE. I believe it more or less encompasses the entirety of all of the Kingdom Hearts games including the spin-offs.
  • Once I got the hang of how the controls work, I moved up to the mid-tier difficulty. The easy difficulty is... well, easier... but it feels like the rhythm for these tracks was built specifically for the standard difficulty, so hitting the notes feels more in time with the music and less random.
  • The game's price is too high for what they're offering.
Overall, I'm happy with my purchase but I definitely feel like $60 was not the right price point for this game. It feels like we're paying the Disney Tax, which would be fine if the game included more Disney songs (though to be fair it seems it does but I haven't unlocked them through crafting yet). It'll definitely keep me busy for a while, and it's fun to pick up and play in short bursts. I'll probably be chewing on this for a while yet as I interweave it with Hyrule Warriors after Friday.

jshackles

Anyone else playing this yet / still?

I just made it to the Kingdom Hearts III section in the story mode. No wonder I was so lost playing that game...

jshackles

It looks alright I'm waiting for a sale on it tbh.
I think that's how the majority of people who are even slightly interested in Kingdom Hearts or rhythm games feel. This game definitely should have been a budget title from the word "GO", and it doesn't help that it's released right along with titans like Spider Man, Demon's Souls, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, and now Cyberpunk 2077 (which, in my opinion, are all vastly superior games).

Top Bottom