• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts III Review Thread

ethomaz

Banned
Pretty great scores.
I'm not really into this franchise but I'll have to check out this game at some point in the future

Fuck...this means Nomura will gain even more influence inside Square
He deserves... it is one of the best directors in modern Square Enix.

You know you will have good stuff when his hands is behind a game.

Square Enix needs more guys like Nomura.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

So no Tom Hanks or Tim Allen for Toy Story and no Johnny Depp for Jack.

I can live with that (although it would have been nice with the original voices ofc) but it´s good to see Osment still kicking it. Thought he was gonna be replaced since he´s not exactly a hot name anymore as he was back in 2000.

RPGCrazied

People with Japanese copies of the game are saying there are 2 graphic modes and even the base consoles have it. Interesting. I can't imagine unlocked framerate on base consoles. Yikes.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I thought this came out today. Tried to launch it said wtf many times then relaize Google told me the Japanese release date.

CuNi

I got my copy early today and without talking about the story, I'm really disappointed by the performance of this on base ps4. It's clunky, feels like it's dropping frames every now and then and even the menu is slow and laggy. This game seems to have been made for xox and ps4pro. I specifically picked the ps4 version because I was sure the xo version will be slightly worse and if that's true I don't want to know how horribly it must perform over there. From a technical point I'm very disappointed with this game.

RPGCrazied

I got my copy early today and without talking about the story, I'm really disappointed by the performance of this on base ps4. It's clunky, feels like it's dropping frames every now and then and even the menu is slow and laggy. This game seems to have been made for xox and ps4pro. I specifically picked the ps4 version because I was sure the xo version will be slightly worse and if that's true I don't want to know how horribly it must perform over there. From a technical point I'm very disappointed with this game.

Seriously? I heard the base consoles get 2 different modes. Did you check the options yet? Supposedly there is a stable option.

CuNi

Seriously? I heard the base consoles get 2 different modes. Did you check the options yet? Supposedly there is a stable option.
I'm on the default mode which is the fps mode. The graphics mode is even worse on base ps4. Like it runs smooth usually but larger open areas just get it to choke sometimes. But menu defiantly lags which is a shame.
Maybe as a mainly PC player it's just so noticeable bad for me as I'm used to play on 144Hz screens so take my experience with a grain of salt here. It's not like it's running with 15 fps or so, it's just a maybe 300ms stutter in heavy battle situations and around 30 fps in larger open areas. Compared to KH1 and 2 it's a downgrade.. I remember them running butter smooth on ps2.

Last edited:

CuNi

Do you know what frame pacing is? I don't mind a stutter or 2 but is it like FF XV? That had really bad frame pacing.

Unfortunately I don't and I haven't played FF XV either so i cannot compare. Sorry for that. I'm just talking from what I experience and how it feels to me. I'm not ruling out me just being picky. Like I said I usually play on PC at usually at least 100fps and more so it completely is possible that it runs around 40 fps but just feels weird to me personally. For me it's a rather poor experience but maybe it's just the first level. (not going to say which it is so you guys can still enjoy). Once you get your hands on it I'd love to hear other experiences from base ps4 and maybe pro too. I hope the story will deliver since game play falls a bit short for me.

RPGCrazied

frame pacing is stuttering or judders. Even if the game is locked at 30. A game with framing pacing issues is not smooth at all. Its why I just couldn't get through XV on base console. Stuttery mess.

CuNi

frame pacing is stuttering or judders. Even if the game is locked at 30. A game with framing pacing issues is not smooth at all. Its why I just couldn't get through XV on base console. Stuttery mess.

I got a bit further into the game and like I said it's mostly just large areas. It feels like they aren't optimized properly as IMHO there sometimes is way too much foliage on screen. I wouldn't mind reducing that by as much as 50%.

Also I must have misunderstood you. I thought you asked if I know the frame times to see if there are frame pacing issues. But I think the issue is less frame pacing issues than the game being unlocked on fps and it probably has issues when going up and down with the frames when you transition between larger and smaller areas.

I got to the
area where you fight the stone golem and that area was smooth as hell which for me confirms optimization issues.

Let's hope next week's patch has some optimizations to the grave because so far that's the only thing I can complain about.

RPGCrazied

So then surely at 30fps there should be no framing pacing? I can deal with frame drops as long as it has proper frame pacing. I'm not going to play with unlocked framerate. The base consoles can't achieve 60. It probably barely achieves mid 40's.

Verdanth

Oh my god my deluxe edition arrives tomorrow!!!

abtxkpl.gif

Alfen Dave

Before anybody takes IGN review seriously, remember they gave KH2 a 7.6 and KH 358/2 days an 8.

Think about that for a second.

Soltype

Before anybody takes IGN review seriously, remember they gave KH2 a 7.6 and KH 358/2 days an 8.

Think about that for a second.
Are you saying it's too low?Seems in line with the rest of the series, always felt they reviewed better than what they actually deserved.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Are you saying it's too low?Seems in line with the rest of the series, always felt they reviewed better than what they actually deserved.
Thats subjective this especially true for KH series. You either going to the game or you wont. With that logic, to me RDR2 doesnt "deserved" that high score because to me the gameplay looks dull and boring.

Also his point was the 358/2 day (DS game) mange get higher score than KH2 in IGN.

Last edited:

Soltype

Thats subjective this especially true for KH series. You either going to the game or you wont. With that logic, to me RDR2 doesnt "deserved" that high score because to me the gameplay looks dull and boring.

Also his point was the 358/2 day (DS game) mange get higher score than KH2 in IGN.
I agree with you on RDR receiving way too high of marks, but the KH series was never the cadillac of action rpgs.The game never had the best game play, so the rest of it's strength has to be on storytelling, and that's not the greatest either.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I agree with you on RDR receiving way too high of marks, but the KH series was never the cadillac of action rpgs.The game never had the best game play, so the rest of it's strength has to be on storytelling, and that's not the greatest either.
For me KH2FM had best combat in action RPG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom