• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Bump for an other question : What about DS4 support on 2.5 remix and 1.5 remix ? It works fine ? Can I connect a headphone to the jack too ?

KH1 and KH2 (in 1.5 and 2.5, respectively) have some weird deadzone issue when using a DS4, so it's best not to use them there.

However, the DS4 works flawlessly in Re:Chain of Memories and Birth by Sleep, so it's fine to use there. I played through BBS with a DS4 myself and had no issues at all. There's no headphone jack support for any PS3 game, though.

I hate how they replaced the character models with 3D's. Xemnas, Ansem SoD, and Ansem the Wise look AWFUL.
And now Roxas sounds like Ventus in battles. BS
Pretty much the reason to why I haven't bought the HD collections till now

Demise

So, is critical difficulty that good in kh2 ? I've been reading praises everywhere but i'm not sure about it. I hate bullet sponge enemies.

Fauve

I think you're confusing 3D/BBS critical mode, which lowers your damage by half I believe. In KH2's critical mode, your damage INCREASES by 25%. It's a lot of fun, you'll basically be a glass cannon, and actually have to block, dodge, etc.

Kinsei

Banned
So, is critical difficulty that good in kh2 ? I've been reading praises everywhere but i'm not sure about it. I hate bullet sponge enemies.

Yes. The enemies are the squishier than they are on Proud thanks to your upped damage output.

burgerdog

Finally caught up on the series, sort of. I've had KH DDD for years but never played it. Should I just wait for the ps4 version at this point? How long does it take to complete a story run through(don't care about extras?)

Finally caught up on the series, sort of. I've had KH DDD for years but never played it. Should I just wait for the ps4 version at this point? How long does it take to complete a story run through(don't care about extras?)

DDD is pretty short compared to the other big games in the series. Probably like 20 hours without any extra stuff. If you plan to buy the HD collection might as well wait so depends on that I guess.

burgerdog

DDD is pretty short compared to the other big games in the series. Probably like 20 hours without any extra stuff. If you plan to buy the HD collection might as well wait so depends on that I guess.

Definitely plan on picking it up, I'm in love with the series now that I've had to opportunity to play all the games that I missed over the years. Another upside of waiting for 2.8 is that it will slightly make the wait more bearable for KH3 because I'll have a "new" game to dive into late 2016.

Nose Master

Ordered pizza while recording KH1.5 tonight for our dumb youtube channel. Drinking was happening, so we wrote "draw your favorite kingdom hearts character on the box!" This pizza chain is pretty legit about adhering to stupid ass requests like this, but I was still taken aback when I opened the box and saw this:
qv76NLA.jpg

mstevens

Finally finished every trophy in kh2 except the proud/critical. Going to start my critical playthrough tonight.

Can't decide if I want to try birth by sleep. It's going to bug me forever if I get to the mysterious figure and can't beat it.. I hear beginner doesn't help and leveling doesn't either. I don't have those skills at these types of games (had to cheese lingering will)

Kinsei

Banned
Finally finished every trophy in kh2 except the proud/critical. Going to start my critical playthrough tonight.

Can't decide if I want to try birth by sleep. It's going to bug me forever if I get to the mysterious figure and can't beat it.. I hear beginner doesn't help and leveling doesn't either. I don't have those skills at these types of games (had to cheese lingering will)

You can cheese MF, you just need to spam thunder surge and curaga.

Falk

that puzzling face

Leveling actually does, albeit marginally.

You may be confusing it with me leveling to max with Terra and THEN realizing there was no trophy for leveling.

But yeah, as above, Thunder Surge and Curaga - While still a crapshoot, it's less RNG than Chocobo Racing in FFX.

mstevens

So there isn't really a skill wall that is much worse than the data fights in kh2? What about the mini games? I don't mind repetition and tedium, possible skill walls that I just can't overcome stress me out though.

May give it a shot if it's not much harder. I've just heard nightmare stories about those optional bosses, especially playing as Terra.

I missed kh and kh2 when I was younger, so I really enjoyed platinuming both (soon, at least.)

(Oh god.. The chocobo race. That might be the platinum that produced the most blood, sweat and tears for me. Even worse than bloodborne, dark souls 2 or the last of us. That chocobo should be the final boss in dark souls 3)

Kinsei

Banned
So there isn't really a skill wall that is much worse than the data fights in kh2? What about the mini games? I don't mind repetition and tedium, possible skill walls that I just can't overcome stress me out though.

May give it a shot if it's not much harder. I've just heard nightmare stories about those optional bosses, especially playing as Terra.

I missed kh and kh2 when I was younger, so I really enjoyed platinuming both (soon, at least.)

(Oh god.. The chocobo race. That might be the platinum that produced the most blood, sweat and tears for me. Even worse than bloodborne, dark souls 2 or the last of us. That chocobo should be the final boss in dark souls 3)

Nothing in BbS takes as much skill as the data fights, Lingering Will, or even Spehiroth due to how broken both the bosses and command deck are.

The mini-games re pretty simple. The racing is a bit of a snooze-fest but it's really easy so you shouldn't need more than two goes at a track to beat the times for the arena. The ball game can be won by hitting triangle and X over and over again. The ice cream one is pretty simple if you've played rhythm games in the past.

mstevens

And there is a simple (but rng influenced) strat to overcome the mysterious figure?

Thanks for the feedback, by the way.

Does this game use the same mechanics as the other game in the KH1.5 remix? I haven't played that one either.

Kinsei

Banned
And there is a simple (but rng influenced) strat to overcome the mysterious figure?

Thanks for the feedback, by the way.

Does this game use the same mechanics as the other game in the KH1.5 remix? I haven't played that one either.

Yes. The simple start for Mysterious Figure is to fill your command deck with the attack thunder surge and the spell curaga (having it alternate thunder surge > curaga > thunder surge > curaga and so on until your deck is filled. You are completely invincible during thunder surge and curaga will kepp you alive whenever he manages to land a hit on you.

The BbS system doesn't use the same mechanics as the games in 1.5, but it is the foundation of the mechanics of Dream Drop Distance which will be included in the 2.8 collection for PS4.

The Data and Lingering Spirit fights can be about skill or time depending on your approach.

If you decide to tackle them head-on, they are pretty hard to beat, but if you farm Defense and Attack items you get to a point that they aren't a threat anymore.You don't eliminate the whole challenge, but it's a significant change. Takes a lot of time to farm all those boosting items, though.

Jeels

Hey everyone...working on my platinum for 2.5. When I choose to do a gummi ship ex mission and get to the ship select portion, all my ships, whether blueprints or custom made are crossed out and I can't select. Any advice?

Hey everyone...working on my platinum for 2.5. When I choose to do a gummi ship ex mission and get to the ship select portion, all my ships, whether blueprints or custom made are crossed out and I can't select. Any advice?

I think Ex missions have restrictions on what kind of ship you can use so you might need to build one that fits the requirements yourself.

What's gonna be the best grind spot in II final mix? With the wingull/Pride rock method taken out

TWTNW castle, gullwing and exp booster equipped, critical health (remember to disable healing abilities from your party) and just whack em nobodies. No real tricks in FM anymore.

test

Ultimadrago

Man, I'm just noticing now, but Pooh Bear's Book (100 Acre Woods) is one of the better worlds in Kingdom Hearts II. That's pretty nuts. The Disney characters actually feel like characters with real interactions compared to most of the other worlds. I don't think I would have admitted this when I first played.

Falk

that puzzling face
yeah pooh worlds in kh are really great and show the struggles forest friends have from day to day

"oh no we need vegetables to help pooh get unstuck, but here's tigger to screw everything up"

Lnds500

Man, I'm just noticing now, but Pooh Bear's Book (100 Acre Woods) is one of the better worlds in Kingdom Hearts II. That's pretty nuts. The Disney characters actually feel like characters with real interactions compared to most of the other worlds. I don't think I would have admitted this when I first played.

Starry Hill is also one of the warmest and most beautiful location in any KH game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks5Fw6CM7do

Shame the frame-rate is so terrible in the remaster at that specific area (god knows why).

Ultimadrago

Just finished my personal completion for KH2 (Gold Crown on Critical) and I find myself wondering as well if I should give BBS a whir on Critical or a lower difficulty setting. In brief retrospect, I enjoyed the change of pace with Critical compared to my initial play of the original years back, but I didn't really get into it until I got more skills later on to retaliate with. Is Birth By Sleep similar in this regard? Does the Command Deck system allow you more options earlier in structure?

Psxphile

^ Will this be your first time playing through BBS? If so, I don't know if I can recommend Critical to a first-timer, unlike KHIIFM where it's much better balanced. It might go okay playing as Terra or Ven but Aqua suffers a lot until she starts getting good magic commands because her physical damage is so crap at the beginning and some enemies can 2-shot her easily on that difficulty. Once you start fusing commands and earning abilities it gets easier.

On the positive side you start with 5 command deck slots instead of 3 and, much like KHIIFM, the Zero EXP ability which can be used as a general buff in certain situations.

BBS is better played on Proud, yeah. It's not like KH2 where you AND enemies are drastically more powerful on Critical. Even on Proud the early Aqua game can be a bit frustrating since lots of stuff will kill her instantly.

Really? Critical on BBS was way easier for me (Haven't completed post game fights though) , it was my first time playing as well, Aqua was difficult for the Cinderella world , but not after that for me. I went Terra>Ven>Aqua though.

Psxphile

Really? Critical on BBS was way easier for me (Haven't completed post game fights though) , it was my first time playing as well, Aqua was difficult for the Cinderella world , but not after that for me. I went Terra>Ven>Aqua though.

It's not impossible but Critical really makes you learn to play defensively rather than offensively (which I've personally always had issues with). Never mind that several Unversed have attacks that strike multiple times w/o allowing you to recover (I'm looking at you, Bruiser). The Cinderella world, which is Aqua's first, is especially difficult to handle even for an experienced player coming off Critical Terra and Ven runs.

Like I said though, once you get abilities like Cartwheel/Aerial Recovery and some decent magic commands it gets much better.

Ultimadrago

Which Stories would you all rank from most to least difficult overall? I think I'd want to go to the hardest first. I've heard that there is a chronological order to them, but does it add that much to play them in this order instead?

Edit: Okay, after further skimming through the thread it seems unanimous that Terra sucks the most in combat, so I will (try to) complete his story first.

Also, are any of the best Abilities missable?

Seda

I don't think there's anything significant missable in Birth By Sleep. KH games are usually pretty good about that.

Terra has the hardest time with super-bosses because his dash doesn't have as many invincibility frames (leaves him open for a bit) whereas Ventus and Aqua can endlessly dodge-roll/cartwheel around to safety.

I don't remember the specifics, but after the three main paths, there is an Aqua-only Final Episode. As is a bit typical with these things, I don't remember what exactly 'is available' in Final Episode and what you are allowed to access. IIRC (depending on how much you might want to do) you might want to power-level Aqua before clearing her Final Boss, before starting up the Final Episode. I also don't remember if the superbosses are available in that episode.

In short, to be safe, I think it helps to 'do everything' with Aqua before going into the Final Episode. And obviously be sure to save in separate slots.

Ultimadrago

Thanks, I'll start off on Terra then and move forward in the story. I'm seeing stuff about Boards and Mending Abilities. That along with making custom decks seems so intimidating! I've always looked forward to trying out this combat system though, as it's widely stated as KH's best.

Seda

Thanks, I'll start off on Terra then and move forward in the story. I'm seeing stuff about Boards and Mending Abilities. That along with making custom decks seems so intimidating! I've always looked forward to trying out this combat system though, as it's widely stated as KH's best.

(I might not remember all the specifics)

The command boards are entirely optional, but you can get abilities (a few unique ones) from them. It's one of those things that it's easier to understand just by trying it out rather than reading up on it.

In addition to regular attacks, you have up to 8 abilities you can slot away you can use in battle. These have a small cooldown. You can level these abilities up, and them meld them into new abilities.

In addition to new abilities, you can unlock permanent passive abilities as you meld by using a crystal with the meld. This will be useful. Try to unlock Second Chance and Once More ASAP.

Psxphile

Yeah, you'll want to start melding commands once you start getting the crystals you can add into the mix to learn new abilities. Don't hold back, meld as soon as the game lets you (when commands are leveled enough and you have crystals). This is the only way to improve your character's build besides leveling up and new keyblades, as well as getting abilities like Once Again and Second Chance.

Ultimadrago

Does leveling Commands get significantly faster as you go through the Story? I'm at Castle of Dreams with Terra and making rounds through the Ballroom is taking ages. Perhaps I started too early lol

Psxphile

Does leveling Commands get significantly faster as you go through the Story? I'm at Castle of Dreams with Terra and making rounds through the Ballroom is taking ages. Perhaps I started too early lol

As experience you get from mobs goes up, so does the speed of leveling commands. Also, Mickey's 2nd stage D-link passive ability gives 2x EXP for as long as it's active, which speeds up leveling even more. And much later, you'll have access to some broken commands like Megaflare than can clear a room in one shot for the fastest leveling. Of course, advanced commands take more to level to max but should go without saying.

What I'm saying is: it'll get better in time.

Ultimadrago

So, about Terra's voiceacting...

As experience you get from mobs goes up, so does the speed of leveling commands. Also, Mickey's 2nd stage D-link passive ability gives 2x EXP for as long as it's active, which speeds up leveling even more. And much later, you'll have access to some broken commands like Megaflare than can clear a room in one shot for the fastest leveling. Of course, advanced commands take more to level to max but should go without saying.

What I'm saying is: it'll get better in time.

Thanks, the combat has indeed improved as my pool of abilities have expanded through leveling/synthesis. I will say though that this is the worst progression system I've seen in a Kingdom Hearts game. Still, they do seem to give you more advanced skills from the get-go later on, as you said.

P.S.: I love how (broken) Command Cooldowns work versus MP Charge! I can get used to this.

Ultimadrago

I'm finally at Aqua's story. She's the character I'll be putting the most effort into (taking Seda's advice and seeing her role in lategame). And at this point, I have no desire to clear the optional bosses with every character. Only one needs to hail victorious and get Level 30 in Mirage Arena. Okay, that second one's a "Maybe" Command Board will probably cheese me to death first! lol

Any particular items that are must haves on her Command Deck? Feel free to offer broken options! lol. Megaflare is always my go-to for mobs, of course. However, I have yet to find a great one-on-one/boss Magic move to utilize.

Mine Square was great for my Ventus run versus his final boss, I know that much.

Seda

I'm finally at Aqua's story. She's the character I'll be putting the most effort into (taking Seda's advice and seeing her role in lategame). And at this point, I have no desire to clear the optional bosses with every character. Only one needs to hail victorious and get Level 30 in Mirage Arena. Okay, that second one's a "Maybe" Command Board will probably cheese me to death first! lol

Any particular items that are must haves on her Command Deck? Feel free to offer broken options! lol. Megaflare is always my go-to for mobs, of course. However, I have yet to find a great one-on-one/boss Magic move to utilize.

Mine Square was great for my Ventus run versus his final boss, I know that much.

Seeker Mines are usual against Vanitas (among several other things).

Ultimadrago

I've made it through Birth By Sleep. I really didn't enjoy actually playing through it. In fact, I'd say only Chain of Memories managed to be a smidge worse from the titles I've played and I'm not even sure there. I had my moments with it though and though the main cast fell short on execution, I was alright with the overall story.

Thanks for the tips, all! I was able to manage Royal Radiance + Mysterious Figure and Vanitas R. on Critical with fair, but not extraneous in-the-moment efforts. Cartwheel spam is amazingly advantageous.

Hot Tip: I should have taken badcrumble's advice and played on Proud instead of Critical. The damage scale simply made each campaign a drag for the beginning hours and with how measly each campaign is in length, the effort to even level abilities feels meaningless for everyone sans Aqua. It wouldn't have fixed my issues with the game, but Critical did not help.

Well, I can move onto 2.8 with a clear head now. After watching through the Re:Coded movie, that is.

Seeker Mines are usual against Vanitas (among several other things).

Thanks Seda! Ended up using Mine Square against him for the perimeter, but certainly used Seeker Mines in a bunch of other places.

Totally bumping this really old thread but I need help.

How. the. fuck. do. you. get. 85. hits. on. Mushroom. 8.

This is complete bullshit, nothing is working. Closest I got was 81 and I was seething afterwards. Did the master form way, and the normal form + Donald flare way. Nothing is working. Trying to do this for the past 2 hours and getting zero results. If I can't do this, I'm done going for the platinum.

This is complete bullshit, nothing is working. Closest I got was 81 and I was seething afterwards. Did the master form way, and the normal form + Donald flare way. Nothing is working. Trying to do this for the past 2 hours and getting zero results. If I can't do this, I'm done going for the platinum.

There is no sure fire easy way to do it but I have always done it with wisdom form+fatal crest+thunder. Now it has been super long so my memory is hazy but I think I did it by spamming thunder at start to launch it and with Fatal Crest keyblade just juggled it when MP charge was on and repeat. You could try something like that. You stay on the ground at all times with this tactic of course.

Actually it's been so fuckin long I'm not even 100% positive I did it without the combo finisher 5 shot thingy but that's all I got.

Psxphile

Man, Mushroom XIII is the most infuriating sidequest ever this side of FFX, because even with the right method it's entirely up to chance you can land enough hits. I've used both methods to get the required number of hits before but only after about 20 tries or so. Duck Flare is the hardest to get right, the timing has to be perfect. But if you can nail that last activation it has a better chance of succeeding over the Master Form method.

EDIT: fuck that's right there's a Wisdom form method too... don't know if I ever made it work but I remember trying it and getting close.

There is no sure fire easy way to do it but I have always done it with wisdom form+fatal crest+thunder. Now it has been super long so my memory is hazy but I think I did it by spamming thunder at start to launch it and with Fatal Crest keyblade just juggled it when MP charge was on and repeat. You could try something like that. You stay on the ground at all times with this tactic of course.

Actually it's been so fuckin long I'm not even 100% positive I did it without the combo finisher 5 shot thingy but that's all I got.
I tried that one too, but I hard time lining up the shots to keep it in the air. Didn't bother sticking with it so I moved on to the fatal crest + Donald flare which had better results.

Man, Mushroom XIII is the most infuriating sidequest ever this side of FFX, because even with the right method it's entirely up to chance you can land enough hits. I've used both methods to get the required number of hits before but only after about 20 tries or so. Duck Flare is the hardest to get right, the timing has to be perfect. But if you can nail that last activation it has a better chance of succeeding over the Master Form method.

EDIT: fuck that's right there's a Wisdom form method too... don't know if I ever made it work but I remember trying it and getting close.
Tell me about it. This thing is going to prevent me from getting the platinum. I almost have every mission done, I need 3 more recipes/items to craft, need to beat all the Organization XIII replicas and Lingering Will. That's not a lot to do. And it's frustrating that this damn Mushroom that is more luck based than skill will prevent me from progressing.

The master form method has been more consistent with 50+, but if I can get the Flare method just right, it can be 70-80. This fucker just projects away from me as soon as I hit high 70s.

Psxphile

Trying to keep him in a corner where he can't slip away at the last second is a vital part of the equation, but once you're in the air doing your thing you have no control on how things will go.

Top Bottom