• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 4 will be upgraded to Unreal 5 by release and ‘take visuals several levels higher’

YukiOnna

That explains everything 🙂
beat me too it lol

I was just going to say they have many teams.
Yeah. The FF16 team for example is entirely its own division.

FWIW Nomura doesn't usually go down to Osaka either outside of major trips or pre-production. I remember Yasue saying he stays working in Shinjuku Office and signs off on anything Yasue texts him with a Sora OK Sticker, lol.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hopefully this time development is faster. I imagine licensing negotiations had to begin since KH3 was being made. Also hoping that the switch to Unreal 5 doesn't take a long time either. Still, it looks like it could be rereleased not sooner than 2024.

Oh, I fully expect it to be 2024 Winter for this game to be released. If not pushed into 2025. We won’t see more of it in 2022, which leaves 2023 and 2024 to really showcase the game.

Rykan

Just a warning for those who think "It looks good from the trailer!"

There is absolutely zero chance that this is actual gameplay. It's just another "Target Render" like most of SE's trailers.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

There is absolutely zero chance that this is actual gameplay. It's just another "Target Render" like most of SE's trailers.
I would say this has far, far more chance of being closer to what we will actually see over 90% of Sony or Xbox’s announcements. The amount of walk back on both’s (if they even bother to show any gameplay at all) is beyond embarrassing at this point.

If this *is* real gameplay, then it is a heavily scripted section, similar to the boss fight against the stone titan in Olympus, which many also questioned the reality of as it definitely looked fake at the time too.

Barakov

Gold Member
YSiiQjd.jpg
Holy fuck. Our man knows. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

YukiOnna

Even if it was a target render (I don't think it is) none of this is out of the realm of what they can do with gameplay. Much of the actions are already doable in 3/ReMind.

Rykan

Even if it was a target render (I don't think it is) none of this is out of the realm of what they can do with gameplay. Much of the actions are already doable in 3/ReMind.
It is not possible to have gameplay look as fluid or "Cinematic" as that. A lot of the elements can be turned into gameplay, sure, but it won't look anything like that.

They show the hud on the screen to "imply" that it's gameplay but the character doesn't move anything like an actual video game character would. You could argue "Well it's a scripted setpiece with no player input" but then why bring up the hud then? Also note that the camera movement and camera placement make absolutely no sense from a gameplay perspective.

I'm surprised how many people think that this is real. SE has been doing this for I don't know how long. This trailer looks extremely similar to what they pulled off with FFXV.

The announcement trailer of that game does the exact same thing: Add UI elements so that it looks like gameplay, but the actual game looks nothing like that. In fact, I believe that entire section isn't even in the game at all.

Last edited:
So, was KH3 good in the opinion of the fanbase? I only remember an enormous backlash when it released (dunno if this behavior is a standard for the saga)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So, was KH3 good in the opinion of the fanbase? I only remember an enormous backlash when it released (dunno if this behavior is a standard for the saga)
I personally enjoyed it, especially its world design, only thing really didn't liked about it was those Disney ride attacks and when it first released it didn't have critical difficulty but they patch it later on.

YukiOnna

It is not possible to have gameplay look as fluid or "Cinematic" as that. A lot of the elements can be turned into gameplay, sure, but it won't look anything like that.

They show the hud on the screen to "imply" that it's gameplay but the character doesn't move anything like an actual video game character would. You could argue "Well it's a scripted setpiece with no player input" but then why bring up the hud then? Also note that the camera movement and camera placement make absolutely no sense from a gameplay perspective.

I'm surprised how many people think that this is real. SE has been doing this for I don't know how long. This trailer looks extremely similar to what they pulled off with FFXV.

The announcement trailer of that game does the exact same thing: Add UI elements so that it looks like gameplay, but the actual game looks nothing like that. In fact, I believe that entire section isn't even in the game at all.

Nothing to me looks particularly cinematic about it in an exaggerated way compared to the original KH3 Target Render teaser. For which they said early on was a target render/concept.

If anything, it just looks like the typical scripted boss fight you'd play. Although, debating this isn't really important to me since it's more or less going to be a similar experience in the full game.

Rykan

Nothing to me looks particularly cinematic about it in an exaggerated way compared to the original KH3 Target Render teaser. For which they said early on was a target render/concept.

If anything, it just looks like the typical scripted boss fight you'd play. Although, debating this isn't really important to me since it's more or less going to be a similar experience in the full game.
At what point in the trailer is there actually "playing" going on? If its scripted with no player input going on at all, then why is that HUD there?

Last edited:

Myths

The visuals are fine, change that UI though. Looks ridiculous against what they’re trying to go for. Just use the old Versus XIII UI they had in the trailer from 2011.

But yeah, I’m gonna call the same as what they did in 2006 with XIII. These are just target renders with UI overlay to give us an idea of what they’re looking to reach. This is easy as hell to do, gets investors and consumers fired up.

Last edited:

Gandih42

I liked it quite a bit. I don't think the combat and gameplay is as good as either KH1 or KH2, but definitely not bad. I was actually quite impressed with the scale of the worlds and bosses. My biggest gripe would be the story, which I think most would agree was a mess already before KH3. It would be a much bigger discussion to go into detail, but to me there is a lot of wasted potential for using the Disney-Final Fantasy cross-over in interesting ways. That being said, I think they treat the Disney franchises incredibly well, much better than the main story, and it was a blast going through the Disney worlds.

As a side note - does anyone else prefer the visual style and character designs from before the move to HD consoles? The worlds and Disney characters look amazing but I find the non-Disney character models from KH3 to be so much less emotive and charming than in KH1 and KH2. They've long since chosen another path and that's fine, but I firmly believe that the characters could've been stylized much better.

YukiOnna

At what point in the trailer is there actually "playing" going on? If its scripted with no player input going on at all, then why is that HUD there?
Oh none, of course. My main point was that even if it is, it's not something they wouldn't be able to replicate already since much of it is just KH3. I think we're talking about different things.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Those were actual, playable moments in that build of the game. However, much of it got scrapped and retooled Due to a shift in directors, focus, and teams. I would suggest you read up on the actual development history, interviews, and discussions from play testers, designers, and programmers. Much of this is found in the Ultimania.

Rykan

Those were actual, playable moments in that build of the game. However, much of it got scrapped and retooled Due to a shift in directors, focus, and teams. I would suggest you read up on the actual development history, interviews, and discussions from play testers, designers, and programmers. Much of this is found in the Ultimania.
Oh I'm sure that these sections were at one point intended to be playable and it might have been playable to a certain extend behind the scenes . What I am saying is that the footage shown in the trailer was definitely not gameplay footage from that build.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh I'm sure that these sections were at one point intended to be playable and it might have been playable to a certain extend behind the scenes . What I am saying is that the footage shown in the trailer was definitely not gameplay footage from that build.

No, it *was* actual gameplay. Heavily scripted, but it was gameplay that was able to be played behind the scenes. It is stated in the Ultimania.

Rykan

No, it *was* actual gameplay. Heavily scripted, but it was gameplay that was able to be played behind the scenes. It is stated in the Ultimania.
Only part of the footage looks like it could be actual gameplay. The footage from 1:40 to about 2:00 is absolutely not gameplay or playable in any form, despite the hud being on screen. The footage from 2:20 until about 2:30 is probably gameplay footage which is why it runs at an atrocious framerate and looks noticeably worse. The trailer is most likely made up of part target render and part available gameplay footage.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It doesn't matter, even if it is 100% gameplay, I highly doubt they gonna keep any of the things we saw in the trailer in full game.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Only part of the footage looks like it could be actual gameplay. The footage from 1:40 to about 2:00 is absolutely not gameplay or playable in any form, despite the hud being on screen. The footage from 2:20 until about 2:30 is probably gameplay footage which is why it runs at an atrocious framerate and looks noticeably worse. The trailer is most likely made up of part target render and part available gameplay footage.

It literally was mate. The devs stated it was as did playtesters years after the fact. Not sure why you are so desperate to suggest it isn’t real. It is and its a damn shame we didn’t get it in the final version.

Rykan

It literally was mate. The devs stated it was as did playtesters years after the fact. Not sure why you are so desperate to suggest it isn’t real. It is and its a damn shame we didn’t get it in the final version.
Because I think you're simply misinterpretating a statement by assuming that they are talking about the entire footage when there is a very clear and very obvious difference in the quality of footage shown at the two different timestamps. Video game characters simply don't move or interact like that in a game. If you have the Ultimania, take a picture of the direct quote in question and we'll discuss it.

Edit: Found the following statement

"The game shown at E3 was running on a prototype environment (Ebony), rather than the actual environment (Luminous Engine).[14], and the footage shown was the "prototype" company president Yoichi Wada had tasked Hajime Tabata's team with."

So basically, it was a target render.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It doesn't matter, even if it is 100% gameplay, I highly doubt they gonna keep any of the things we saw in the trailer in full game.
yup, probably why this shit should have never been even revealed like this.

You'll just get weeaboos like "we want DA REALZ KH4" lol

Yumi

I still wonder how ubisoft could pump out open wrold Assassins creed games every two years and square enix can on,y do a full KH game every other generation.
I wonder how much time the approval process through Disney takes. Is it literally every decision they make, or just character and scenes that portray Disney Characters. Either way, it probably slows down development quite a bit.

If Nomuras team isn’t running efficiently on top of the approval process, it’s no wonder it takes so long.

On topic, I personally find the whole “Big realistic city”, to be one of the worst choices for this reveal. I love fantastic worlds to escape reality, I know how a city works and what to expect to find in a city. Just seems out of touch, but it seems to be working for some.

Top Bottom