• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 |OT| One χ-blade to rule them all

Sakura

Gotta say I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay. Seems like there is too much of an emphasis on the spectacle rather than on skill or compelling gameplay.
It's been a long time since I played KH1 or 2 but I thought they were more skill based. In KH3 I'm not sure why I would ever want to block or try going for a counter.
I also wish the fight choreography (?) in cutscenes was better. There is such a disparity between the actual gameplay and the cutscenes it's like they forgot how to fight at times.
I like the music though.

fallingdove

45 minutes in -

Nomura is a trash tier director. The pacing is terrible. It feels like Nomura just couldn’t figure out how he wanted to start the game. The Kingdom Hearts 2.9 overlay actually kind of annoyed me... Especially because at that point I had watched two intro movies, played a little bit, had an awkward introduction to something about Sora loosing his power and cringed at the ridiculous gummi ship cutscene. The title, seemed like some strange way to integrate/justify the dumbass naming conventions the titles have been known for.

Ok...with that out of the way... Aside from the (titanic flute) Hercules character models, the game is really pretty and the gameplay feels better than ever. It might sound like I am down on the game but in actuality, I am very interested in exploring the various systems that Square have cooked up in concert with the visual splendor.

The Shepard

I got a nice surprise in the post today and received this game that I wasn't expecting till Friday here In the uk.

Last edited:

Verdanth

I think I know now what you mean. The phone?

tenor.gif

Arrived at ToyBox. That background music :')

Hinedorf

Banned
Just picked up my copy but wont touch it until I'm through with the 'The Story so far'. I'm shocked that I'm loving KH2 as much as I am but there's no way I can just quit and move on at this point. I'll be months late to the KH3 threads but well worth the journey!

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm in a similar dilemma. I bought the all in one package a few months ago.

Completed Kingdom Hearts 1, Chain of Memories, 365/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts 2 and 1 and a half play thoughs through Birth By Sleep.

Do I play through the rest or go straight to 3 and then back hmmm.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finally started playing the game and god damn the game is soooo GORGEOUS!!!!

I'm in a similar dilemma. I bought the all in one package a few months ago.

Completed Kingdom Hearts 1, Chain of Memories, 365/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts 2 and 1 and a half play thoughs through Birth By Sleep.

Do I play through the rest or go straight to 3 and then back hmmm.
I would say either finish playing the Birth By Sleep or at very least watch rest of the story of it in YouTube.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Fucking Mickey sounds awful. Sounds like Rachel Maddow doing a Mickey Mouse impression. Sorry first person that came to mind.

God I love this game so freaking much the cheer joy that’s expressed in the animations it’s enough to make a grown man feel emotional. Or maybe I was a kid all along. Everything has been amazing so far and I can’t wait to talk about it.. I am sure using the Disney rides is a valid way if your going for proud zero lvl runs. However I try to ignore the Disney rides and I wish that was a option. But I appreciate they have put in all these functions. I decided to start my run on proud mode and this game is more punishing if you die. And I have died quite a few times. Because of testing the waters.

Also that quick keyblade switching is really a nice thing combined with keyblade transformations which are all unique I am just hugely impressed in all that insane variety of animation work that has gone into it all.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
James Woods returning as Hades and his cutscenes have been the best part so far.

The rest is exactly like the original game but the graphics are on steroids. Looks beautiful.

Even the jankiness with the jumping is still intact. So good.

Last edited:

Verdanth

So when you use blizzard it create a trail and you can flowmotion on it to the enemy? Holy shit.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Akuza89

So when you use blizzard it create a trail and you can flowmotion on it to the enemy? Holy shit.

giphy.gif

I personally can't stand the flowmotion combat... just feels clunky... so I don't use it at all...

still impressive that it does that.

Verdanth

I personally can't stand the flowmotion combat... just feels clunky... so I don't use it at all...

still impressive that it does that.

I think it works well when you get the hang of it. At the start I was always using. Bad move. Its there to had some variation but not to work as a main resource. I really like the teleport right at the enemy flowanimation.

Gnt0Y17.jpg

Hobbesian

Banned
I've been watching my cousin play this game for a few hours now:

Where the hell are all the Final Fantasy characters? Did they just get written out of the overall story at this point?

dolabla

After watching some non spoiler vids, I caved and ordered this game tonight for my X. I'd not planned to get for another month or two, but this game just looks great. I can not wait to play it now.

Verdanth

I've been watching my cousin play this game for a few hours now:

Where the hell are all the Final Fantasy characters? Did they just get written out of the overall story at this point?

So far I havent seen any, and I just beat my 3rd world.

Toybox world is so amazing.

Last edited:

Hobbesian

Banned
So far I havent seen any, and I just beat my 3rd world.

Toybox world is so amazing.

This is so strange to me. There's way too many KH characters in this game at this point and not enough Square characters from the stable to anchor this thing.

The Disney vs. Final Fantasy mashup was, like, the main appeal for this series and the best way for Squeenix to market its FF franchise using some of the most iconic brands in the world.

Weird.

Last edited:

Danjin44

This is so strange to me. There's way too many KH characters in this game at this point and not enough Square characters from the stable to anchor this thing.

The Disney vs. Final Fantasy mashup was, like, the main appeal for this series and the best way for Squeenix to market its FF franchise using some of the most iconic brands in the world.

Weird.
Well square characters are the original KH characters.

Holgren

Weird.

The game was never sold as a FF vs. Disney match-up as far as I know, but rather Square-Enix as a company doing a match-up with Disney, and they have decided to create their own set of characters for this franchise. I find it weird that you can't understand this at this point to be honest. This is, what, the 8th entry of the franchise? You should know that FF characters are not the focus for Square but rather the ones created for this KH and the Disney characters.

I am saddened that this franchise gets bashed so much by people for its convoluted plot, since the gameplay and interactions between characters are so much fun. This series actually makes me like Disney!

Last edited:

Hobbesian

Banned
The game was never sold as a FF vs. Disney match-up as far as I know, but rather Square-Enix as a company doing a match-up with Disney, and they have decided to create their own set of characters for this franchise. I find it weird that you can't understand this at this point to be honest. This is, what, the 8th entry of the franchise? You should know that FF characters are not the focus for Square but rather the ones created for this KH and the Disney characters.

I am saddened that this franchise gets bashed so much by people for its convoluted plot, since the gameplay and interactions between characters are so much fun. This series actually makes me like Disney!

It definitely was. At least, at its inception. Back in 2002 when the concept was brand new, one of the main appeals was seeing how some of the most popular FF characters of the era interacted with the Disney universe. The Organization XII stuff wasn't even a thing.

It was pulled off really well, too. I was never a big Square fan (I almost finished VIII, played a bit of VII and X), but I learned a lot about the characters through cultural osmosi and my cousin, who's a huge Square fan.

I thought Squall, Cloud, Auron, Sephiroth and others, looked the coolest they ever looked to me in Kingdom Hearts 1.

Well square characters are the original KH characters.

I feel like that's kind of incompetent from both a business and creative standpoint.

For someone that's a lapsed fan and currently lost in the miasma some are calling this series' sprawling "story", seeing a lot of those old school favorites would have gone a long way in anchoring me and providing some appeal. Disney characters don't hold as much sway with me anymore.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Played for the 3 hours. Love it pretty much except the framerate. Its kinda janky in cutscenes. And not much better in gameplay. Don't like stutters.

Still a true HD Kingdom Hearts game!

Holgren

It definitely was. At least, at its inception. Back in 2002 when the concept was brand new, one of the main appeals was seeing how some of the most popular FF characters of the era interacted with the Disney universe. The Organization XII stuff wasn't even a thing.

It was pulled off really well, too. I was never a big Square fan (I almost finished VIII, played a bit of VII and X), but I learned a lot about the characters through cultural osmosi and my cousin, who's a huge Square fan.

I thought Squall, Cloud, Auron, Sephiroth and others, looked the coolest they ever looked to me in Kingdom Hearts 1.

I feel like that's kind of incompetent from both a business and creative standpoint.

For someone that's a lapsed fan and currently lost in the miasma some are calling this series' sprawling "story", seeing a lot of those old school favorites would have gone a long way in anchoring me and providing some appeal. Disney characters don't hold as much sway with me anymore.

Being one of the main attractions doesn't make it the the focus of the game. If so, Sora, Riku and Kairi wouldn't have been the main protagonist as well as Ansem being the main villain of the game. The original KH lore was there from the beginning, it was never intended to be a FF vs Disney Match-up, but rather Square-Enix as a company.

Hobbesian

Banned
Being one of the main attractions doesn't make it the the focus of the game. If so, Sora, Riku and Kairi wouldn't have been the main protagonist as well as Ansem being the main villain of the game. The original KH lore was there from the beginning, it was never intended to be a FF vs Disney Match-up, but rather Square-Enix as a company.

You're moving the goal post and strawmanning, though. I never said that it was the main focus. I said it was a core selling point of the original game and this is undeniable. FF characters initially played a large role in the KH's overall lore. It wasn't just about "Square Enix as a company", because were that the case, there might have been other properties outside the Final Fantasy series involved.

Obviously, part of the appeal was just seeing Square have such open reigns on the Disney property, but the Final Fantasy universes' inclusion was a big part of the appeal as well, don't get it twisted. Hell, a ton of the gameplay systems and icons are from the Final Fantasy universe, kupo.

Holgren

You're moving the goal post and strawmanning, though. I never said that it was the main focus. I said it was a core selling point of the original game and this is undeniable. FF characters initially played a large role in the KH's overall lore. It wasn't just about "Square Enix as a company", because were that the case, there might have been other properties outside the Final Fantasy series involved.

Obviously, part of the appeal was just seeing Square have such open reigns on the Disney property, but the Final Fantasy universes' inclusion was a big part of the appeal as well, don't get it twisted. Hell, a ton of the gameplay systems and icons are from the Final Fantasy universe, kupo.

You're right, you never said it was the focus of the game, so my bad on that one. Still, many people have grown accustomed to the KH characters and find it as beloved as the ones found from the FF franchise, so I don't see any problem with it imo. Since the FF franchise never had one specific set of characters that could represent their whole franchise (as it is in the case of Mickey Mouse characters), it would have been difficult to choose one of them to lead the franchise. Creating original characters and lore was the right choice imo.

KH characters couldn't be more FF-esque though.

Hobbesian

Banned
You're right, you never said it was the focus of the game, so my bad on that one. Still, many people have grown accustomed to the KH characters and find it as beloved as the ones found from the FF franchise, so I don't see any problem with it imo. Since the FF franchise never had one specific set of characters that could represent their whole franchise (as it is in the case of Mickey Mouse characters), it would have been difficult to choose one of them to lead the franchise. Creating original characters and lore was the right choice imo.

KH characters couldn't be more FF-esque though.

I never meant to imply that new characters shouldn't anchor the series either. I like that aspect of the series and I loved the KHs characters as a previous fan. I just loved the more diverse melting pot that had FF characters as well. It might be true that the KH characters couldn't be more FF-esque, but as a lapsed fan, I don't even know more than half of them, which is my point.

Last edited:

xviper

i love Kingdom hearts but for some reason i'm not really excited for KH 3, how is it so far ? was it worth the wait ?

Last edited:

SoulUnison

Banned
This game has the one thing that I felt Final Fantasy XV was truly missing:

Lots and lots of competently directed cutscenes.

Larxia

I haven't played the game but looking at gameplay videos, I can't stand that radar / wave effect on walls, is no one annoyed by this? I don't see anyone talking about it, but it would drive me crazy. It's okay you showed me that already, don't need to show me it constantly during the whole game.
And apparently you can't turn it off? Such a strange decision.

I haven't played the game but looking at gameplay videos, I can't stand that radar / wave effect on walls, is no one annoyed by this? I don't see anyone talking about it, but it would drive me crazy. It's okay you showed me that already, don't need to show me it constantly during the whole game.
Its really not a issue plenty of walls to look at Who doesnt have the effect, its used to communicate to players that its interactive. Its the lesser evil. Of choices imo.

Hostile_18

Banned
Finally started playing the game and god damn the game is soooo GORGEOUS!!!!

I would say either finish playing the Birth By Sleep or at very least watch rest of the story of it in YouTube.

Yeah I've heard the game comes with a good 're cap?

One one side it's nice to play all other games in the right order and I am enjoying them... but on the other I don't want to deliberatly rush them or wish them away either. It's a tough life lol.

Danjin44

Yeah I've heard the game comes with a good 're cap?

One one side it's nice to play all other games in the right order and I am enjoying them... but on the other I don't want to deliberatly rush them or wish them away either. It's a tough life lol.
Kingdom Hearts 3 is not going anywhere, take your time properly catch up to the story before playing the 3rd game.

Dacon

Banned
The game is indeed very pretty, but I'm surprised by how dynamic the combat is. There seems to always be something mixing things up and keeping it from becoming a chore.

If they can do this with the combat in 7R then I will be more than happy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Some of the cutscenes are crazy long. My Xbox went to screensaver mode during one of them.

I was hoping to go through the first world because I got home late and I literally got past the opening movie, finished some gameplay, and saved. Lol the suspend feature will come in handy.

It's not as bad as it is on the Vita when it goes into lock mode during a cutscene.

I love the graphics. It's all the best tech for a KH game. Combat feels fluid and the world looks nice. Though I'm having this flashback to Prince of Persia and God of War on PS2 ATM for some reason... maybe it's the textures.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Not sure why it would drive you crazy, it's not in your face by any means.

Verdanth

Honest question: should I watch the Tangled and Frozen movies? I know the characters and story, but never watched those.

I'm afraid it will break those world experiences by watching the movies while I'm currently playing the game, but on the other side I will be able to compare the world with the movie.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Honest question: should I watch the Tangled and Frozen movies? I know the characters and story, but never watched those.

I'm afraid it will break those world experiences by watching the movies while I'm currently playing the game, but on the other side I will be able to compare the world with the movie.

Posts like these are the reasons why we think KH fans are crazy. You guys take these games so seriously.

Top Bottom