• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Director Told Disney He Wouldn’t Make The Game Unless He Could Use Pixar And Toy Story.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/kingdom-hear...-game-unless-he-could-use-pixar-and-toy-story

According to game director Tetsuyta Nomura, his biggest priority with the upcoming RPG was to ensure the inclusion of Pixar properties, especially Toy Story. While speaking in an interview in the February 2019 issue of EDGE (Issue 328), Nomura revealed that he directly told Disney before the development of Kingdom Hearts 3 even began that if he couldn’t include Pixar properties in the game, he wouldn’t be interesting in making it.

“After we were done with Kingdom Hearts II and were starting to consider III, we started talks with Disney, I remember saying, ‘If we can’t use Pixar, then we can’t have a third game,”” said Nomura. “It’s that important to the game series. The whole world loves Toy Story – everybody feels the appeal of that story and those characters. So yeah, at the very beginning I directly said to them, “If we can’t get this, I don’t want to do it’.”

He then went on to discuss the property of working with Pixar itself, and about how much more collaborative the process was than it has been for previous titles in the series. “I wrote a general outline of the story and I submitted it to Pixar, It took them several years to okay the story and the character designs,” Nomura said. “Previous to Kingdom Hearts III, I think these companies kind of saw it more as like, secondary rights permissions. They saw it more as a product like you would a branded toy or something.”

“This time, it was creator to creator,” he continued. “It was somebody who had made this animation, and somebody who was making this game. We were communicating with each other, myself and these people, so that added an extra level of complexity because each creator has their own desires, ideas, and concepts.”

If you’re wondering whether even more Disney worlds in the game beyond the ones that have already been revealed, it was recently confirmed that that wouldn’t be the case.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m personally soooo glad to finally get Toy Story and Monster inc worlds. HYPED!!!!

ghairat

I'm really excited to explore the different worlds in KH3. However, I really hope we get to know what happened to Cloud and Sephiroth.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm really excited to explore the different worlds in KH3. However, I really hope we get to know what happened to Cloud and Sephiroth.
What I can understand in KH version Sephiroth is just basically is Cloud’s darkness he has to overcome.

Fake

I both happy and sad at the same time. Super happy with finally Toy Story world and kinda sad for no Walph world.
But yeah, Pixel made a difference here.

Ailike

I'm a bit cynical about this.

What reasons would Disney/Pixar have for not allowing them to use those worlds?
"I won't make this game unless I can use Pixar!"
"Ok. Fine. Who are you?"
"Look, if you want this game made, I demand Toy Story!"
"Ok, we never said no, but what? A game?"
"Look, if you want this done right you have to give me what I ask!"
"Sure, whatever. Can you go now? Send a check later."

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm a bit cynical about this.

What reasons would Disney/Pixar have for not allowing them to use those worlds?

This is just my opinion. But whenever a franchise wants to rebrand itself for today's market, someone always gets punished. Be that the fan or the creative team in general. Its like how some game developers come out and say "our game is focusing on X instead of Y because blah blah blah". You know its because the people who fund their work try and control everything they do. Even though Disney owns Marvel and Star Wars now, we have to put up with whatever they want to change in the franchise.

There's probably a lot of concepts that never get created because of such limitations. Look at the X-Men. The entertainment industry has tried to re-brand their image and all those games that were amazing got delisted. Business and licensing issues here and there.

Teslerum

"I won't make this game unless I can use Pixar!"
"Ok. Fine. Who are you?"
"Look, if you want this game made, I demand Toy Story!"
"Ok, we never said no, but what? A game?"
"Look, if you want this done right you have to give me what I ask!"
"Sure, whatever. Can you go now? Send a check later."
Considering its Nomura.

That might have actually happened.

Top Bottom