• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect: The device that almost destroyed Xbox

Pallas

Gold Member
I’d argue that Kinect didn’t almost kill Xbox, the boneheaded strategy that mandates that every launch Xbox One was to have one almost killed it because it inflated the price of an already inferior console spec wise.

Kinect as a stand-alone was great and it sold very well in its earlier version on the Xbox 360, so there was a market for it, but the strategy and marketing was pretty bad, should have never been a mandatory bundle.

I’d argue that Kinect didn’t almost kill Xbox, the boneheaded strategy that mandates that every launch Xbox One was to have one almost killed it because it inflated the price of an already inferior console spec wise.

Kinect as a stand-alone was great and it sold very well in its earlier version on the Xbox 360, so there was a market for it, but the strategy and marketing was pretty bad, should have never been a mandatory bundle.
Yep. It is backwards to sacrifice the sales of the base console in order to promote the sale of its peripheral.

See, the thing is, Microsoft was used to mandatory package of things with Windows. But they don't realize that mandatory packing of hardware is NOT the same as mandatory software pack in. No one is paying extra to have mandatory Internet Explorer packed with Windows software. If you don't want to, you are not affected by an extra piece of software you didn't need.

Packing Kinect fundamentally increased the cost of the total package. Microsoft can't just give them away like they did with Software. And that is where Microsoft being more of a Software Giant, lead to them making this blunder.

If everyone get a free Kinect with XboxOne, but not having to pay for the extra hardware, I am sure the complaints would be far more muted. But the reality is that Microsoft wasn't willing to eat the cost.

And yet, what made Microsoft think the consumer would be any happier to eat that cost if the company themselves don't want to?

kyussman

I love how during this whole motion control revolution Nintendo and Microsoft kinda went all in with it and Sony just shat out that Move thing but didn't really bother supporting it because even they probably realised it was a shitty way to play games,lol.
I guess it has found a use with VR though.

I love how during this whole motion control revolution Nintendo and Microsoft kinda went all in with it and Sony just shat out that Move thing but didn't really bother supporting it because even they probably realised it was a shitty way to play games,lol.
I guess it has found a use with VR though.
Sony wasn't even copying Nintendo; they were just recycling the monitor glasses their own TV division had made, and making VR headsets from that. Move was controllers they invented for VR, but at the time the headset just wasn't ready and PS3 couldn't run VR anyway. So they conveniently made some money selling Move controllers, knowing that it would only be used for VR on PS4 later on.

Last edited:

kyussman

Sony wasn't even copying Nintendo; they were just recycling the monitor glasses their own TV division had made, and making VR headsets from that. Move was controllers they invented for VR, but at the time the headset just wasn't ready and PS3 couldn't run VR anyway. So they conveniently made some money selling Move controllers, knowing that it would only be used for VR on PS4 later on.
Huh.....I had no idea that's how Move came about,I guess that does explain why they never pushed it harder then.....thank god,lol.

Huh.....I had no idea that's how Move came about,I guess that does explain why they never pushed it harder then.....thank god,lol.
It was pretty clever that Sony managed to keep PSVR under wraps so long. They sold the Move with the PS Eye without once revealing that it was for VR. And obviously when they released PS4, they don't tell anyone what the mandatary light bar on the controllers are for. The entire gaming world, including the PCVR community, was caught out by the PSVR reveal.

Granted, there are still people today who are blaming the lightbar for draining the battery, but the true culprit of the battery drain was the touchpad. The LED lights barely use any power.

Ahh the old days when everyone was jumping on the "motion controls" band wagon.

Give it a few years and this will come back. Virtual Boy came out and died and now VR is making a slow comeback.

Maybe in 2 or 3 generations we will see really good Kinects/Wiimotes, like VB compared to a Occulus rift.

Also Kinect did save the 360 at first, but almost killed the one.
Kinect will only come back as a VR tracking solution. The core concept doesn't work that well otherwise.

trikster40

That was a fantastic OP. I thought for a moment that was a legit article on a news site somewhere.

Didn’t Apple purchase the technology and uses it for Face ID?

Jubenhimer

Kinect wasn't for us. The limitations in interface between user and game are much less apparent or an issue from the perspective of the audience they were going after, which the OP rightly highlights Nintendo had created. It's predictable that Microsoft's decision to go after that market is portrayed as cynical and facilitated by a big marketing push aimed at that audience - it's almost as if they're a big, successful business behaving in a way big, successful businesses do when targeting a new segment. MS and Sony rightly went after a big old slice of pie Nintendo had created, not only for the new customers it brought to the party but to stop existing customers adding another machine to their ecosystem to placate new casual gamers in the family. It was as much a defensive move as it was a cash grab.

As for the Kinect itself, as has been pointed out it was crap for more conventional gaming experiences, but really very good for the kind of fitness and dance games those casual gamers were attracted to - that's the point! Put it this way, my wife has bought two pieces of gaming hardware in her life, a Nintendo DS, and a Kinect. Games like Just Dance etc were right up her street, and once she'd got bored of that and fucked off for a shower, I could put a proper game in and the console continued to get used. The Wii I bought for us gathered dust and eventually got sold on Ebay.

The Kinect was a failure, but dressing it up as a catastrophic, cynical brand killing piece of corporate dogma is a bit dramatic. They took a shot and hit the rim, and they learned a fair bit in a technological sense whilst at it.

My issue with Kinect is less the fact that Microsoft was trying to broaden the audience of the 360. I'm fine with any company reaching out to new markets. My problem is that Microsoft did that, at the expense of everything else that made the 360 successful. Nintendo and Sony still understood that you still need a physical controller with buttons in order to appeal to more dedicated gamers in addition to casual and non-gamers. Kinect was a device that was designed with too narrow of a focus, and the device's gaming utilities suffered because of it.

Romulus

I think kinect has its uses, but playing VR just really feels next level, especially now with the recent improvements.

I really liked my Kinect and Kinect 2.0. I enjoyed coming home from work, throwing my bag on the floor, plopping down on the couch and saying "Xbox On".

I once saw a gamertag in a match of Rocket League that said "XboxOffYes" and thought that was brilliant. Just imagine saying it and not realizing and losing a match.

OT though, the voice commands were great.

sinnergy

Xbox fitness ! Enough said. Changed home fitness forever, to bad we are now set back 20 years ago, steaming shitty videos without gamification, competition and rewards ... but we all know what real gamers like ...

motion control in This age are Not for the generations that are playing now.

Future generations may be more open ...

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Not enough precise control.
You can do almost any move it works.

...but would you rather play it with normal controls though?
I mean Wii Sports made my parents take the Wii Mote and play. Its super accessible to a point were people in social enviroments even play it because it helps with their movement.
Also it has the best virtual bowling ever!

Top Bottom