• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about reverse betrayaltons?

What i figure is some titles that went mutli platform this gen gone back exclusive or new IPs .
Truth is i really don't see the really big IP going exclusive even timed unless it's DLC .
For eg if lets say COD goes timed exclusive on 720 for 4 months that give EA a chance to make a really big BF fan base on PS4.
Then again i could be wrong and serious money hatting \ marketing \ help make the game deals going on .

Darknight

Speculation on open world and RPG lite stuff added is fun and all but its not realistic for this game.

It will be made like every "blockbuster" shooter. Big explosions, cinematic experience blah blah blah. I'm a KZ fan and this is what I expect. Not that I want it but thats all I believe GG will do. I don't blame them since they have unlimited power compared to the PS3 to make even more impressive set pieces, and I'm ok with this.

All I want is the return of KZ2 multiplayer, heavy controls, rocket class and that radec map 1080 version. I want to play MP where it gets laggy and f'n crazy like the good old KZ2 days. Do it GG.

nib95

Banned
Post I made earlier regarding new graphical additions/improvements I noticed with KZ SF.

Things I noticed from the 1080p trailer/HD gameplay.

- Improved shadows, soft edges
- Improved lighting and luminosity
- Better smoke blend (no more alpha weirdness)
- Improved dust and particles
- Improved geometry in both buildings, weapons and characters
- Improved depth of field/focal blur
- Improved AA
- Improved AF
- Real world reflections

Things to improve

- Animations in places still janky
- Some textures could still do with a resolution bump
- Better quality standard NPC's (not military) and faces
- Could still do with some more pop or contrast in shadows, maybe stronger SSAO or something
- Actual skybox (not city scape) could do with more drama

Visceir

Speculation on open world and RPG lite stuff added is fun and all but its not realistic for this game.

It will be made like every "blockbuster" shooter. Big explosions, cinematic experience blah blah blah. I'm a KZ fan and this is what I expect. Not that I want it but thats all I believe GG will do. I don't blame them since they have unlimited power compared to the PS3 to make even more impressive set pieces, and I'm ok with this.

All I want is the return of KZ2 multiplayer, heavy controls, rocket class and that radec map 1080 version. I want to play MP where it gets laggy and f'n crazy like the good old KZ2 days. Do it GG.

Yup, if anything they will be heavily focusing on making the multiplayer enjoyable so that people have a go-to game for that on the new console.

KZ2 on Elite took all the HUD off and such, it was a much better experience too. And I don't think you'd be creating a murder simulator at all, but I'd be beating a dead horse if I went any further.

True. I remember playing KZ2 on Elite (pre-patch) and found it very satisfying. It felt more immersive than the standard modern FPS shooter.

I hope they will use the extra ram to build some very sophisticated AI via. interaction from civilians and such. Im probably asking for too much, but I'd appreciate it if GG started to consider how to take gameplay further as a priority. They pretty much obviously got the visual fidelity/tech strapped down in place, but a new paintjob would essentially bring nothing new to the table.

Sure it'll look awfully pretty, but that'll wear thin pretty quickly. I think that should be their primary concern.

Reverse betrayalton:

FF goes from PS3 exclusive to multiplatform
FF goes from multiplatform to PS4 exclusive

Other examples: Mass Effect and MGS

COD doesn't fit

i think that's what kagari has been hinting at since the ps meeting thread. i guess versus could become the new main FF and be ps4 exclusive?

BadAss2961

Great post i-Lo.

Personally, the direction I believe GG is heading with Shadow Fall is against the grain. My personal belief is admittedly probably wrong because it is radical for a number of reasons:

1) Remember the rumors of a fantasy-RPG developed by Guerrilla Games? Well, where is it? Also, the Shadow Fall team added 25 new staff for its development. What for, and its possible that the additional team GAF speculated about for the fantasy-RPG wasn't a new team at all but simply new additions to the Shadow Fall team.

2) Wait a minute, your probably thinking. Killzone is a FPS. Where are you getting this fantasy-RPG idea from, is another question you might be thinking. Well, first of all, the game title raises suspicions. Why not go with Killzone4? The obvious answer is because its set 30 years in the future featuring a new main character and reasonably a new supporting cast. Killzone2, however was set in the near future as well and supporting a main character and new supporting cast as well, yet it followed the number sequence. Its not hard proof but the title change can indicate a change in philosophy.

3) I'm saying they are transitioning away from the FPS either, but adding fantasy-RPG elements to Shadow Fall to deepen the gameplay. Posters have been drawing comparisons to Mass Effect with Vetka City. I've noticed the same parallels. Surely traversal is possible as well. I mean, from what we saw in the demo, it is possible those blue "highways" cars are traveling on our ways to freely move from one semi-open area to another semi-open area with numerous NPCs to talk to, story events waiting to be triggered, and secrets to find through exploration.

4) The story also is begging for this type of game to be made and what better universe is this type of game better for other than Killzone? You are a secret operative Shadow Warrior whose sole job is maintaining the peace between both factions. Obviously you are welcome on either side and probably know each sides political leaders because you are the peace keeper. Killzone always had a moral ambiguity about it especially with the ending of 2 and I think this type of game can explore this moral ambiguity even deeper. Shadow Fall could based on premise fit the description of a fantasy-RPG with shooting elements.

So, what do y'all think. It's obviously crazy town but its fun to think about. Killzone has always had so much potential to be one of the greatest FPS of all-time but for some reason it always finds a way to come up short in the writing and story department. That is why its so much fun for me to speculate over because its one of those games where I feel like I could write a compelling story for and design a game around. So what you essentially read is the game I would develop if I was the creative director.

Anyway, I'm going to keep holding my breath for this to come true because I've argued before that I'm still skeptical that this demo is actually in the final game but that its a demo showing the game and story concept.

EDIT:

5) Furthermore, based on the premise of the story, there is little wiggle room for their being any other environments other than the Vetka City and Helgan City. Why would you need to venture planet Vetka when it is clear the Wall dividing the two factions is the center piece of Shadow Falls story? Also, what is the point of designing an entire city that spans for miles in every direction with detailed geometry and textures for if you can't explore it? For pretty scenery is the obvious answer, but from what we know about the story its based on these two factions in heavy political and societal conflict divided by a Wall I want to know where else could the story take us that is relevant to this story arch?
As great as it would be, this a pipe dream. No way they could build something that ambitious so quickly.

But I agree, it is fun to talk about. lol

Double H

What if Shadow Fall had RPG elements and that lovely city was explorable?
From the Jimmy Fallon demo:

2m 18s
Jimmy: So you can just build bigger worlds?
Hermen: Ahh… you know, they're large scale, they're very vibrant worlds and at the same time it gives us space to develop these characters that you truely care about.

2m 37s
Jimmy: And you can walk around this whole giant world, I mean Killzone basically is the bad guys coming over the wall…

Unknown if Jimmy was briefed on the scope of the game or just babbling about next gen games in general.

If my memory serves me correctly, the various iterations and builds of the killzone games have been phenomenal. Each build seemed to increase dramatically. So while shadow fall looks great already, when it finally goes gold it will turn heads. I can almost guarantee that.

Side note: the Killzone games are great But this one seems to improve the most on what I felt was missing. The fact that there are bystanders/ casualties of war really adds alot. Some environments felt too sterile. But this one has people, birds, cherry blossoms, etc, etc Atmosphere looks to be be nailed down for this one. I cannot wait to play.

Jimmy: And you can walk around this whole giant world, I mean Killzone basically is the bad guys coming over the wall…

Unknown if Jimmy was briefed on the scope of the game or just babbling about next gen games in general.

If true, someone needs to come over and take my money NOW!

Derrick01

Banned

2m 18s
Hermen: Ahh… you know, they're large scale, they're very vibrant worlds and at the same time it gives us space to develop these characters that you truely care about.

2m 37s

The dude doesn't even know how to handle a controller when it's in his hands. I wouldn't necessarily take his ramblings as knowledge.

rdrr gnr

2m 18s

2m 37s

Indoctrination Theory level of crazy.

gogogow

The dude doesn't even know how to handle a controller when it's in his hands. I wouldn't necessarily take his ramblings as knowledge.

This Fallon guy is ridiculous, in every show he's saying how he's a gamer, geek etc., but he doesn't even know how to use the sticks to aim. So embarassing.

I do feel like RPG elelements could be a part of it. The part where the character gets bodyscanned seemed almost a perfect opportunity to drop a character creation section. NPCs are going to be a significant part of the game seemingly, and you'd imagine plenty of the game will take place in "friendly zones"

I can't see anything to suggest it is anything but linear though. Maybe you can traverse between hubs?

I do feel like RPG elelements could be a part of it. The part where the character gets bodyscanned seemed almost a perfect opportunity to drop a character creation section. NPCs are going to be a significant part of the game seemingly, and you'd imagine plenty of the game will take place in "friendly zones"

I can't see anything to suggest it is anything but linear though. Maybe you can traverse between hubs?

RPG elements? KZ psvita is about merceneries and collecting money from kills to upgrade your weapon set?I'm looking forward to it. $$$

The game's world design suggests it's more open.

BadAss2961

2.5 years (Since Feb 2011) is quick? :p
I mean... It's possible, but Killzone 3 was two years after Killzone 2, and many thought that came out half baked.

For Guerrilla to make the engine improvements that go along with developing for a new console, add RPG towns, scripts, and elements that they've never done before, and expect to meet the launch deadline would be a bit much.

Stark

Banned
I mean... It's possible, but Killzone 3 was two years after Killzone 2, and many thought that came out half baked.

For Guerrilla to make the engine improvements that go along with developing for a new console, add RPG towns, scripts, and elements that they've never done before, and expect to meet the launch deadline would be a bit much.

Oh I'm definitely not expecting that. I do expect the scale of the levels and how you approach them to go up though. You know, like a souped up Dishonored/Last of Us.

AngryBird

Banned
So if KZ was running on a 1.5GB devkit (which is hard to believe)
How would +6.5GB ram make a difference? How would they utilize that?

Can they add extra textures? Or use higher res textures, or what?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was thinking in the lines of a big central hub (overworld) which is the city itself. A place where you can activate mission (levels) like you do in Mass Effect. Those levels are a linear, but when you are not in one of them you can walk freely around and interact with NPC's and stuff. Dunno, atleast I hope it's something like this. Shadow Fall has kinda a RPGy ring to it.

Sorral

Don't forget that this isn't really limited by the PS3's architecture anymore. I read somewhere that they expanded their team too right? It will be three years by the time it goes gold.

No one should expect something massive, RPG elements, etc. Bigger scope sure, but they have not said anything else yet, so people putting too much hope for so much more might be setting themselves up for a disappointment. :/ Hopefully, I am wrong though but yeah...

Stark

Banned
Don't forget that this isn't really limited by the PS3's architecture anymore. I read somewhere that they expanded their team too right? It will be three years by the time it goes gold.

No one should expect something massive, RPG elements, etc. Bigger scope sure, but they have not said anything else yet, so people putting too much hope for so much more might be setting themselves up for a disappointment. :/ Hopefully, I am wrong though but yeah...

Indeed. They don't have to put the extra work into getting it running. And yeah it went from 120 something to 150 thanks to Sony.

Double H

People taking Jimmy's remarks as facts now? :lol Did we watch the same video?
Nah, that's not what I meant.

What I was trying to suggest is that he brought up the idea of a larger world twice, something Shadow Fall has been presented as. Not just through cutscene vistas but also in the game's PR.

The premise doesn't sound like the previous KZ campaigns that jumped across Helghan, instead it's all contained in the one city. I'm not expecting an open world, but with a larger environment you can allow for gameplay that's not just corridors.

Sorral

The trailer starts with showing the city and the scale. It plays in an open platform and not 'locked/closed up' area with what I expect several paths shown because they had the character go climbing to get around a heavy gunner, but what if I chose the other direction instead? Past Killzones, correct me if I am wrong, were very linear.

The gameplay segment also does have the character flying through the city and ending up right on the wall then backing out to show the scale again.

Then, they do have that art showing both sides like this (this might be reading too much into it though):

iSJ1eABxeMm85.jpg

It does seem more open than the past killzones. I hope that I am not reading too much into it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The game's world design suggests it's more open.

I really don't think so. The beginning when the player was walking around was just reminiscent of the beginning of KZ3 in the weapons factory.

I expect the combat to be a bit more less linear and dynamic but I'm not expecting open, fully explorable areas outside of combat.

meta4

I really don't think so. The beginning when the player was walking around was just reminiscent of the beginning of KZ3 in the weapons factory.

Way more open than that. These are bigger sandboxes. I doubt that it indicates anything about the gameplay beyond giving more combat options and more tactical shooting though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Way more open than that. These are bigger sandboxes. I doubt that it indicates anything about the gameplay beyond giving more combat options and more tactical shooting though.

That I agree with.

Does no one found this somewhat sickening? And is the point of having more realistic rag doll physics to have more realistic moving corpses?
I only said that because KZ2 was the first game that actually kind of creeped me out with the death animations and behavior of the blood effects. It just added a sense of realism very few other FPS have matched. I've had that same reaction to Last of Us and I think it's just something that would add to the brutal, dark world that Guerrilla has created for the series.

Darknight

Anyone wonder if the ingame scanner bit will use the PSeye and take your pic of your face? I found it odd to include it and I think GG will do that cheese gimmick :)

Razgreez

Not sure why gaffers are being so hard on that Fallon guy. It's pretty clear be's not used to playing with inverted aiming, which is what the developer was using

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not sure why gaffers are being so hard on that Fallon guy. It's pretty clear be's not used to playing with inverted aiming, which is what the developer was using

He's been doing demos on his shows for years and every single time he looks like someone who has never held a controller, despite saying he plays games all the time.

so whats the story in this? helgan was destroyed in kz3, is this a prequel? looks like two futuristic cities are divided by a giant wall, wtf is going on? is the red city/district a helgan gheto?

Sorral

so whats the story in this? helgan was destroyed in kz3, is this a prequel? looks like two futuristic cities are divided by a giant wall, wtf is going on? is the red city/district a helgan gheto?

It is 30 years after KZ3. Helghan refuges were taken in Vekta after what Rico/Sev/ISA army did to the Helghan planet.
They weren't suppose to kill Visari for one nor nuke the whole planet for another.

It is 30 years after KZ3. Helghan refuges were taken in Vekta after what Rico/Sev/ISA army did to the Helghan planet.
They weren't suppose to kill Visari for one nor nuke the whole planet for another.
now i really hope this a fps rpg like human revolution

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm not getting my hopes up for a open world RPG Killzone.

That being said, I'm hoping for the FEEL of a much more open world. Having such a large city as the main locale gives them the ability to make you feel like you're traversing through this massive area while still being linear. Eg. Seeing places during gameplay which you then visit later gives the feel of scope and exploration in a real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom