• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This. The graphics are absolutely amazing but I need rag doll and AI to step up from what was done the previous gen. Not just a rehash of the same animations. This is what I want but with better quality next gen

kk2s.gif

I want that with Last of Us quality blood spray and bleeding. Make it as brutal and gritty as you can. That's what separated KZ2 and that's what will separate Shadow Fall.

This. The graphics are absolutely amazing but I need rag doll and AI to step up from what was done the previous gen. Not just a rehash of the same animations. This is what I want but with better quality next gen

kk2s.gif

YES!! the hit detection the older kz games is better too!! WTF GG?

meta4

I want that with Last of Us quality blood spray and bleeding. Make it as brutal and gritty as you can. That's what separated KZ2 and that's what will separate Shadow Fall.

Yup that would be amazing. I think this game will offer contrasts though. Beautiful Vekta on one side of the wall and a hellish looking place occupied by the Helghans on the other side of the wall. Lets hope that portion of it is a throwback to KZ2. Also I noticed the 'firing the gun while dying' animation from 2 back in KZ SF. Is KZ2 the only game to have featured such an animation? I have not seen it so pronounced in any game! It is those little things that made KZ2 so amazing.

Yup that would be amazing. I think this game will offer contrasts though. Beautiful Vekta on one side of the wall and a hellish looking place occupied by the Helghans on the other side of the wall. Lets hope that portion of it is a throwback to KZ2. Also I noticed the 'firing the gun while dying' animation from 2 back in KZ SF. Is KZ2 the only game to have featured such an animation? I have not seen it so pronounced in any game! It is those little things that made KZ2 so amazing.
The Lost Planet series has it, but . . . . yeah I don't really need to go any further.

Great post i-Lo.

Personally, the direction I believe GG is heading with Shadow Fall is against the grain. My personal belief is admittedly probably wrong because it is radical for a number of reasons:

1) Remember the rumors of a fantasy-RPG developed by Guerrilla Games? Well, where is it? Also, the Shadow Fall team added 25 new staff for its development. What for, and its possible that the additional team GAF speculated about for the fantasy-RPG wasn't a new team at all but simply new additions to the Shadow Fall team.

2) Wait a minute, your probably thinking. Killzone is a FPS. Where are you getting this fantasy-RPG idea from, is another question you might be thinking. Well, first of all, the game title raises suspicions. Why not go with Killzone4? The obvious answer is because its set 30 years in the future featuring a new main character and reasonably a new supporting cast. Killzone2, however was set in the near future as well and supporting a main character and new supporting cast as well, yet it followed the number sequence. Its not hard proof but the title change can indicate a change in philosophy.

3) I'm saying they are transitioning away from the FPS either, but adding fantasy-RPG elements to Shadow Fall to deepen the gameplay. Posters have been drawing comparisons to Mass Effect with Vetka City. I've noticed the same parallels. Surely traversal is possible as well. I mean, from what we saw in the demo, it is possible those blue "highways" cars are traveling on our ways to freely move from one semi-open area to another semi-open area with numerous NPCs to talk to, story events waiting to be triggered, and secrets to find through exploration.

4) The story also is begging for this type of game to be made and what better universe is this type of game better for other than Killzone? You are a secret operative Shadow Warrior whose sole job is maintaining the peace between both factions. Obviously you are welcome on either side and probably know each sides political leaders because you are the peace keeper. Killzone always had a moral ambiguity about it especially with the ending of 2 and I think this type of game can explore this moral ambiguity even deeper. Shadow Fall could based on premise fit the description of a fantasy-RPG with shooting elements.

So, what do y'all think. It's obviously crazy town but its fun to think about. Killzone has always had so much potential to be one of the greatest FPS of all-time but for some reason it always finds a way to come up short in the writing and story department. That is why its so much fun for me to speculate over because its one of those games where I feel like I could write a compelling story for and design a game around. So what you essentially read is the game I would develop if I was the creative director.

Anyway, I'm going to keep holding my breath for this to come true because I've argued before that I'm still skeptical that this demo is actually in the final game but that its a demo showing the game and story concept.

EDIT:

5) Furthermore, based on the premise of the story, there is little wiggle room for their being any other environments other than the Vetka City and Helgan City. Why would you need to venture planet Vetka when it is clear the Wall dividing the two factions is the center piece of Shadow Falls story? Also, what is the point of designing an entire city that spans for miles in every direction with detailed geometry and textures for if you can't explore it? For pretty scenery is the obvious answer, but from what we know about the story its based on these two factions in heavy political and societal conflict divided by a Wall I want to know where else could the story take us that is relevant to this story arch?

Great post, and the direction they're going with Shadow Fall does raise some eyebrows.

It's obviously based on Vekta, with an absolutely massive city and a huge dividing wall. It doesn't quite fit in the same sort of direction as a "linear shooter" that funnels you from one discrete location to the other.

There definitely appears to be a lot of open world elements to this title. "Linear Open World" would be my guess, with some choice in certain missions being tackled before others.

I also expect some RPG elements as well - similar to KZ: Mercenary on the PS Vita.

That whole demonstration looked like one gigantic tease because it hints at open world elements and then makes it appear to be just another linear shooter. But I cannot believe that they'd go to the lengths to design that entire city and only have it being used for that one particular section/backdrop of gameplay like it would normally be in any other Killzone game.

I'm very intrigued to see more details about the game, but unfortunately we got nothing.

It'll also be very interesting to see how the game shapes up close to release. The game, when zoomed out, looks incredible, but when you get into the smaller sections it's less impressive. The addition of 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM should greatly help out in their ability to scale detail for micro and macro views of the gameworld.

The multiplayer could be similarly interesting - Imagine a huge open world with tons of discrete battles going on. Instead of moving from one game lobby session to the next, what if the game just throws you into one large session that has multiple discrete battles going on and you can choose where to go? When the "game objective" ends, you simply have the ability to continue on in that same location or move elsewhere.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I would not get my hopes up for any kind of open world. I do expect some bigger battles though. Multiple paths for you to climb, flank, and find new weapons would open things up a lot. I'd also love the loadout customization and stealth approaches from Mercenary to make it in.

I would not get my hopes up for any kind of open world. I do expect some bigger battles though. Multiple paths for you to climb, flank, and find new weapons would open things up a lot. I'd also love the loadout customization and stealth approaches from Mercenary to make it in.

But the entire game is designed around an open world concept.

I'm not saying it will be as open as something like InFamous or GTA, but I think there's a decent possibility that you will have mission choices, NPCs to interact with, and maybe the possibility of flying around the city and landing in specific designated locations.

The game is obviously not designed around the typical linear environment style. We're limited to the location of the city (ISA and Helghan sides for a nice contrast), and it's a huge environment.

The multiplayer could be similarly interesting - Imagine a huge open world with tons of discrete battles going on. Instead of moving from one game lobby session to the next, what if the game just throws you into one large session that has multiple discrete battles going on and you can choose where to go? When the "game objective" ends, you simply have the ability to continue on in that same location or move elsewhere.
That's sounds a lot like what Defiance is doing. They have this huge open world that you can roam around and do the singleplayer and co-op missions on, and as you're roaming around you can see other players taking part in competitive matches and with a click of the button you can join in instantly.

Don't really think that would be a good fit for Killzone though. It definitely needs bigger maps and more players however. Honestly my biggest concern with Shadow Fall multiplayer is the pacing. It needs to be fast, but KZ3 made it way too fast. KZ2 was at a really nice sweet spot.

beast786

Damn, just watched version. Wow. Absolutely fantastic. I am going to point couple of ScreenShots.

So by watching we know in Multiplayer at least we will have Saboteur and Scout classes.

Skyzard

Banned
Great post, and the direction they're going with Shadow Fall does raise some eyebrows.

It's obviously based on Vekta, with an absolutely massive city and a huge dividing wall. It doesn't quite fit in the same sort of direction as a "linear shooter" that funnels you from one discrete location to the other.

There definitely appears to be a lot of open world elements to this title. "Linear Open World" would be my guess, with some choice in certain missions being tackled before others.

I also expect some RPG elements as well - similar to KZ: Mercenary on the PS Vita.

That whole demonstration looked like one gigantic tease because it hints at open world elements and then makes it appear to be just another linear shooter. But I cannot believe that they'd go to the lengths to design that entire city and only have it being used for that one particular section/backdrop of gameplay like it would normally be in any other Killzone game.

I'm very intrigued to see more details about the game, but unfortunately we got nothing.

It'll also be very interesting to see how the game shapes up close to release. The game, when zoomed out, looks incredible, but when you get into the smaller sections it's less impressive. The addition of 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM should greatly help out in their ability to scale detail for micro and macro views of the gameworld.

I'm sort of secretly hoping for some flying vehicle battles that you can control.. I want to fly around that city for sure.

But the entire game is designed around an open world concept.

I'm not saying it will be as open as something like InFamous or GTA, but I think there's a decent possibility that you will have mission choices, NPCs to interact with, and maybe the possibility of flying around the city and landing in specific designated locations.

The game is obviously not designed around the typical linear environment style. We're limited to the location of the city (ISA and Helghan sides for a nice contrast), and it's a huge environment.
You see this is what is interesting. I wouldn't usually believe that Killzone would have a mission structure where you select the next mission or do any of the things you said because that's simply not how Killzone has been in the past. You get little sandboxes but it's still mission after mission linear style story telling

However, the way they designed the city makes me think otherwise. Like you said, they designed this city with exquisite detail and it appears to be where the entire game takes place. We won't be traveling all around the Vektan planet, just both sides of this city which are all connected. So maybe we will see some open-world type elements without the game actually being open world.

Just had a thought, maybe there will be moments where you must make decisions that can alter the story and have you either defecting to the Helghasts or staying loyal to the Vekta. Oooh, so many possibilities with this game, really excited to see where they take it.

beast786

But why does the reticule show a red X when he's shooting higs.

It's looks like a "don't shoot that guy he's your buddy" reticule from tons of other games.

Those could be ISA in saboteur mode looking like Helghast.

EDIT: I see what you mean. That has been in killzone2/3 already. Every time you connect on a shot it shows that X that has been there forever. It turns green for friendly fire.

meta4

You see this is what is interesting. I wouldn't usually believe that Killzone would have a mission structure where you select the next mission or do any of the things you said because that's simply not how Killzone has been in the past. You get little sandboxes but it's still mission after mission linear style story telling

However, the way they designed the city makes me think otherwise. Like you said, they designed this city with exquisite detail and it appears to be where the entire game takes place. We won't be traveling all around the Vektan planet, just both sides of this city which are all connected. So maybe we will see some open-world type elements without the game actually being open world.

Just had a thought, maybe there will be moments where you must make decisions that can alter the story and have you either defecting to the Helghasts or staying loyal to the Vekta. Oooh, so many possibilities with this game, really excited to see where they take it.

It will be a shooter with larger sandboxes. You guys are gearing up for disappointment expecting anything more.

Stark

Banned
It will be a shooter with larger sandboxes. You guys are gearing up for disappointment expecting anything more.

Are we talking specifically from a level standpoint? Then I agree.

From a gameplay perspective, the whole choice thing would be a step in a sensible direction no? Mercenaries seems to give some indication in a general form.

Vire

I really don't like how the reticule is part of the HUD.

It breaks immersion, in the past Killzone games the reticule was part of the gun.

Hope they aren't trying to make it more like Call of Duty. Helgast designs also are veering more towards Black Ops 2... :/

meta4

Are we talking specifically from a level standpoint? Then I agree.

From a gameplay perspective, the whole choice thing would be a step in a sensible direction no? Mercenaries seems to give some indication in a general form.

Oh I would like it if it goes in that direction. Not too sure if GG is even interested though to explore those options.

How does a shooter with "larger sandboxes" go against what I've suggested?

They've already hinted at RPG elements and NPCs with this short gameplay section.

I meant to say just a shooter. I wish what you say is true though. I dont recall any RPG elements being hinted at. What RPG elements were there in the demo?

Stark

Banned
Oh I would like it if it goes in that direction. Not too sure if GG is even interested though to explore those options.

I don't mind either way. We are judging from a vertical slice and barely and detail on gameplay aside from it being Killzone at its base. It would be nice to see though, we are 8-9 months away from launch.

Hopefully, not everybody think like you. Terrible. fps affect dramatically the gameplay, which is the most important thing in gaming (at least action titles). 30 fps feels choppy. Like going from SD to HD.

Not really. Depends on what it is designed for, really. Dips are disastrous, but a locked 30fps can feel very smooth.

jett

D-Member
They toned down that animation a lot in the final game of KZ2. The hit reactions in this are pretty good, on par with 2/3. There's a gif from Fallon that shows it off really well.

It shouldn't be on par with KZ2/3. The animation in Watch Dogs is of a magnitude better than its genre peers, for instance.

The animation is for sure the most disappointing and weakest aspect of this game for now.

It shouldn't be on par with KZ2/3. The animation in Watch Dogs is of a magnitude better than its genre peers, for instance.

The animation is for sure the most disappointing and weakest aspect of this game for now.
I have no doubt that these animations will be improved. Guerilla is one of the more ambitious devs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Oh I definitely want it to be improved before launch. I just didn't want him to think that it had been toned down. I'm not worried though, Guerrilla has always done animation really well.

i-Lo

Gaffers, I have thinking about how we can take cues from Burnout Paradise and Journey as well as Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Each of the two share a common theme. Let me show you:

Burnout Paradise & Journey: Seamless online integration and transition.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls: Invasions.

A buzzword: Coincidental timing

This idea can also be implemented into other games. For this to work, being connected online is a prerequisite.

Idea:

As aforementioned, assume you have a SP campaign where you get to play both the Vektan and Helgan side. Or it can be two equally deep separate campaigns. In any event, retreading some of the same location has to exist. Now, imagine you are progressing through the story and as is par for the course facing a multitude (as always) of enemies with your AI team-mates. Here is the fun twist- One of those adversaries is a real player who is in his/her part of the campaign where he/she is playing as the other side retreading the same ground. If the player of one side dies, the mission restarts for him/her (as usual) now with either a new human player as one of the opposing forces member if available or just another AI driven drone. For the player who wins the fire-fight, he/she simply proceeds onward with the campaign.

The storyline would have to share the same timeline from both sides (once again, think Snatch) and multiple points of intersection woven into the fabric of the campaign. I also mentioned earlier that the story should be a touch more personalized and that it could be achieved via providing dialogue options like ME/Alpha Protocol. This way non linearity can be attained even in terms of locations chosen for fire fights from time to time. This means differing points of intersections and grounds for retreading.

Rationale:

• Current AI in games is no substitute for human player. Introducing a human element in the opposing team without foreknowledge introduces an element of surprise and enriches the experience.
  • Given limited non-linearity in choosing locations (eg: Player chooses to battle on Front A, over B or C), it weaves an element of replayability in the campaign itself without resorting to "item collection"
  • Given no one has done it in a FPS before, it would be a tremendous way to move the series forward, not unlike the games mentioned at the beginning of the post. It will be a generational shift that is beyond graphics.

Caveats:

• Given this system relies on "coincidental timing" the net code would have to be sublime to filter things through continual monitoring for the following and etc:
  • Player skill balance. This is a variable that is dependent upon the choice of the difficulty of SP campaign.
  • Load times would have to be "tweaked" in clever fashion enforce the "coincidental timing" for potential match ups.
  • Map design and triggers to move to next sections have to be designed with this in mind.
  • Given the complexity of numerous variables, this seamless transition/invasion would be limited to a few maps.

In effect, this is a combination of single player and playing multiplayer with one player and multiple bots at the same time.

Great post i-Lo.

Personally, the direction I believe GG is heading with Shadow Fall is against the grain. My personal belief is admittedly probably wrong because it is radical for a number of reasons:

1) Remember the rumors of a fantasy-RPG developed by Guerrilla Games? Well, where is it? Also, the Shadow Fall team added 25 new staff for its development. What for, and its possible that the additional team GAF speculated about for the fantasy-RPG wasn't a new team at all but simply new additions to the Shadow Fall team.

2) Wait a minute, your probably thinking. Killzone is a FPS. Where are you getting this fantasy-RPG idea from, is another question you might be thinking. Well, first of all, the game title raises suspicions. Why not go with Killzone4? The obvious answer is because its set 30 years in the future featuring a new main character and reasonably a new supporting cast. Killzone2, however was set in the near future as well and supporting a main character and new supporting cast as well, yet it followed the number sequence. Its not hard proof but the title change can indicate a change in philosophy.

3) I'm saying they are transitioning away from the FPS either, but adding fantasy-RPG elements to Shadow Fall to deepen the gameplay. Posters have been drawing comparisons to Mass Effect with Vetka City. I've noticed the same parallels. Surely traversal is possible as well. I mean, from what we saw in the demo, it is possible those blue "highways" cars are traveling on our ways to freely move from one semi-open area to another semi-open area with numerous NPCs to talk to, story events waiting to be triggered, and secrets to find through exploration.

4) The story also is begging for this type of game to be made and what better universe is this type of game better for other than Killzone? You are a secret operative Shadow Warrior whose sole job is maintaining the peace between both factions. Obviously you are welcome on either side and probably know each sides political leaders because you are the peace keeper. Killzone always had a moral ambiguity about it especially with the ending of 2 and I think this type of game can explore this moral ambiguity even deeper. Shadow Fall could based on premise fit the description of a fantasy-RPG with shooting elements.

So, what do y'all think. It's obviously crazy town but its fun to think about. Killzone has always had so much potential to be one of the greatest FPS of all-time but for some reason it always finds a way to come up short in the writing and story department. That is why its so much fun for me to speculate over because its one of those games where I feel like I could write a compelling story for and design a game around. So what you essentially read is the game I would develop if I was the creative director.

Anyway, I'm going to keep holding my breath for this to come true because I've argued before that I'm still skeptical that this demo is actually in the final game but that its a demo showing the game and story concept.

EDIT:

5) Furthermore, based on the premise of the story, there is little wiggle room for their being any other environments other than the Vetka City and Helgan City. Why would you need to venture planet Vetka when it is clear the Wall dividing the two factions is the center piece of Shadow Falls story? Also, what is the point of designing an entire city that spans for miles in every direction with detailed geometry and textures for if you can't explore it? For pretty scenery is the obvious answer, but from what we know about the story its based on these two factions in heavy political and societal conflict divided by a Wall I want to know where else could the story take us that is relevant to this story arch?

Marvellous, mate. I will write back on this more.

Sorral

Theory about EA

What you are saying is very possible. I just think that at this point (historically at least) that the chances of them being more in bed with MS are higher than them just simply waiting for the new xbox reveal.

Is Killzone 1 worth playing? Or has it aged terribly?

I remember not being especially impressed with a demo back years and years ago.

There is an HD version on the PSN store. It is very playable in that version now. 720p and locked 30fps.

That really sucks. Mercenaries lets you ally with them, no? seemed like a good step. Maybe it is a tiny bit possible!

You can choose sides based on who pays higher.

As for people wanting to see KZ:SF clearer than the 1080p youtube video, there is a 1.1GB video. Although it is only 56seconds, it is uncompressed I think. The links are a few pages back. I am in the process of uploading a compressed one in .mp4 sized 74MB. It still came out a lot better than the youtube video. Will post SS(from the uncompressed video) and the compressed video link in a bit.

Killzone was always a very atmospheric, intense and cinematic looking game- I hope the push the visuals and effects to match the feel of the older titles. Right now, something felt off.

It breaks immersion, in the past Killzone games the reticule was part of the gun.

Hope they aren't trying to make it more like Call of Duty. Helgast designs also are veering more towards Black Ops 2... :/

So thats why I thought the reticule looked off.

Shayan

Banned
Killzone was always a very atmospheric, intense and cinematic looking game- I hope the push the visuals and effects to match the feel of the older titles. Right now, something felt off.
I think this part of town is supposed to look prosperous and colourfull. The other side of town will be grim, gritty, monochrmoatic, fucked up and atmospheric.
I sure hope to see a lotof the KZ2 style atmosphee too.

And yes, some stuff looks a bit off. But that will all come together in the coming months i think. That's just the natural flow of a creative process with the finetuning and perfectioning.
he talks **** as usual

the only reason KZ ps4 is 30 fps is because Guerilla doesnt have the time to repeel the game with 8gig RAM. it was built from ground up with 4 gig ram in mind

with 8gig GDDR5 ..1080p ,60fps is just no brainer
Don't they still have 8 months? And wut?

he talks **** as usual

the only reason KZ ps4 is 30 fps is because Guerilla doesnt have the time to repeel the game with 8gig RAM. it was built from ground up with 4 gig ram in mind

Is the Picard facepalm jpg bannable? Cause I really wanna use it now.

BadAss2961

For the last time, 1080p/30fps is a design choice from Guerrilla. They could do 60fps if they wanted to (anything can do 60fps), but they'd rather push the visuals further.

The extra RAM wouldn't increase the framerate anyway.

Dusky

Great post i-Lo.

EDIT:

Interesting post, loving these ideas. The lore of Killzone really has a lot of potential to further expand the game into exploring new types of styles and gameplay and I think Guerilla should really embrace this opportunity.

As for the bolded the reason we haven't seen it is because it's not ready. Why? Well I imagine because the game has only been in production for maybe a year or two. It's a new IP (which they have confirmed multiple times) and making a new IP obviously takes more time than just dishing out another entry in a series like Killzone. Also if the rumours are to be believed that they are working on some Dark-Fantasy RPG than I imagine the world they are creating will take some time to realise. That and it's likely Sony wanted them to ship a new Killzone at launch rather than a new IP.

Killzone on the PS2 was actually the first FPS that I got kind of addicted to. I played the multiplayer quite a bit back in the PS2 days. I was really pumped for KZ2, especially when they showed the first gameplay trailer. Then COD4 happened, that series has practically ruined every other FPS for me now lol. I'm no FPS fan by any means. I just try to find games in other genres that I might like. And I'm not saying the COD series is amazing, but it's so easy to play that whenever I pick up anything else now like the KZ2 or even Crysis 2(console demos), it makes me want to run back to the COD series because I can't be bothered to adapt to more sluggish and weighty controls. I just don't care enough to learn them.

But anyways I plan on getting a PS4, and I'm sure their will be a demo for this. I'd like to give the series a real shot this time. You guys think they'll stick to what they've been doing with KZ2/3 or make the aiming more casual friendly?

I only played the second and third games, and in both you can disable the hud completely.

The picture is .png and uncompressed as far as I can tell when I compared it to the video. Maybe my eyes are bad. ;;
ah png, well that doesn't matter.
You can see it when you zoom in. Compression artifacts. But looks good, not your fault or anything. Maybe the image uploader does this.. I don't know. But it's clearly there.

i-Lo

he talks **** as usual

4GB of additional memory does not magically double the framerate. They can still do 60fps now if they wanted and additional memory would add to certain elements of graphics and other underlying aspects to a degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom