• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally, for those not impressed with KZ3, I compel you to play it with a Move. It utterly changed the game for me, it was stunning. Worked fluidly and beautifully.

Well I'm assuming its a corridor shooter because the demo pretty much ran directly down a corridor followed by multiple scripted sequences. Not exactly my idea of an open, dynamic sequence
Every game has those heavily scripted moments though, even open world games. Just my opinion, but I really doubt GG is all of a sudden going to redesign the Killzone franchise into a corridor shooter.

1shows.jpg

7czr3n.jpg

While there's no doubt some bullshottery and cleaning going on here, what we're seeing here seems well beyond what we've seen in current games - I'm not sure where that argument is coming from. What's with the Crysis 3 fans popping in here? No doubt C3 has fidelity, but the scale is just a completely different story.

And why is not one talking about the art design? Looks gorgeous. Kudos to Guerrilla - they seem to have upped their game significantly. Loving the return to Vekta.

Watching this stream at 240p was the most pointless thing ever.
Is there still no uncrappily compressed 1080p footage of the demo?
Youtube GT video looks butt. Also the audio gets messed up in the second half.

Alkanida

Neo Member
damn this was the game that i wanted for ps4 but i wasnt expecting them to release it at launch...

now they forcing me buy ps4 day 1 too!

Bradach

Incidentally, for those not impressed with KZ3, I compel you to play it with a Move. It utterly changed the game for me, it was stunning. Worked fluidly and beautifully.
Agreed. GG set the bar early for FPS move controls and was never beaten imo. I hope they have some motion ADS plans for this game. Normal analogue for just running around but move the controller slightly for fine tuning aim when aiming down the sights

-Amon-

Great Graphics but poor animations. The difference in quality is so striking, it looks to me as if they have recycled animations from past games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's with the Crysis 3 fans popping in here? No doubt C3 has fidelity, but the scale is just a completely different story.

And how much of that scale is actually interactive and explorable? Pretty skyboxes are not new.

nib95

Banned
Some nice smoke.

ibyp6xWb096Bd3.gif

Things I noticed from the 1080p trailer/HD gameplay.

- Improved shadows, soft edges
- Improved lighting and luminosity
- Better smoke blend (no more alpha weirdness)
- Improved dust and particles
- Improved geometry in both buildings, weapons and characters
- Improved depth of field/focal blur
- Improved AA
- Improved AF
- Real world reflections

Things to improve

- Animations in places still janky
- Some textures could still do with a resolution bump
- Better quality standard NPC's (not military) and faces
- Could still do with some more pop or contrast in shadows, maybe stronger SSAO or something
- Actual skybox (not city scape) could do with more drama

grumble

Great Graphics but poor animations. The difference in quality is so striking, it looks to me as if they have recycled animations from past games.

It's an early demo. Expect more polish at E3.

Personally wish they moved farther away from the brown palette, and the graphics while pretty don't really have a 'wow' kind of moment to them for me. It might be the lack of distinctive character in the art direction; they kind of just look like generic sci-fi to me.

Things I noticed from the 1080p trailer/HD gameplay.

- Improved shadows, soft edges
- Improved lighting and luminosity
- Better smoke blend (no more alpha weirdness)
- Improved dust and particles
- Improved geometry in both buildings, weapons and characters
- Improved depth of field/focal blur
- Improved AA
- Improved AF
- Real world reflections

Things to improve

- Animations in places still janky
- Some textures could still do with a resolution bump
- Better quality standard NPC's (not military) and faces
- Could still do with some more pop or contrast in shadows, maybe stronger SSAO or something

This is the kinda discussion I like. The ones who are saying they see no difference except it being "shiny" are cynical. There is a lot going on that PS3/360 can't do or don't have the capacity to do. I'm excited for PS4/720 and beyond.

i-Lo

I am still a touch miffed about the flickering dynamic shadows. I was expecting better in that regard. Hopefully, by the time the project goes gold this issue would be mitigated.

And how much of that scale is actually interactive and explorable? Pretty skyboxes are not new.

Still it is indicative of draw distance and is agnostic of accessibility.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How much is explorable in Crysis 3? Honest question because Crysis 2 seemed not far off a Killzone game in terms of explorable scale

More than Crysis 2, but still not a whole lot. Depends the level, really.

But in that instance I wasn't really trying to compare to Crysis 3, so much as critique the love for skyboxes. A great looking skybox does the world of good for any game with a vista. But if it's not interactable it's hardly what I'd call "scale". There's a reason games with huge explorable environments tend to look much worse than linear, controlled shooters with big vistas.

I agree that we don't know much about gameplay, and if I had to wager, I'd say it would be more akin to KZ2/KZ3, not widely interactive.

BUT I'm just talking about the raw engine power. Calling the city in KZ4 a skybox is pretty relegating - that's a fucking lot of geometry being thrown around, and given you fly through it, we know it covers a fairly wide area of real estate.

I just don't think the comparison to C3 is that apt. Again, C3's an incredible looking game on a high end PC. This just seems to be a step up in terms of scale and geometry.

nib95

Banned

But bulk of the city backdrop is not a skybox. I wish people would stop saying this, because it's completely inaccurate. The city scape, whilst likely not explorable (though you do go through some of it in the demo) is still geometric, rendered, textured, lit et all. The actual skybox in this gameplay demo was actually a bit weak. Lacking in drama. I want a skybox more akin to the E3 2005 reveal (exaggerated clouds etc). Though maybe the serene calm skies was intentional, to give the false sense of peace and serenity.

If they are using recycled animations then they had to take to effort to make them worse. KZ2/KZ3 animations were better than this. It seems they simply haven't gotten around to it yet, still plenty of time left.

velociraptor

I did notice a fairly large sandbox area in the Shadow Fall demo, when he climbs on the left ledge.

I hope Shadow Fall has a combination of open and closed areas.

Watching this stream at 240p was the most pointless thing ever.
Is there still no uncrappily compressed 1080p footage of the demo?
Youtube GT video looks butt.

I have read that there is a 1GB big video on a Sony press site somewhere, but it's probably restricted. I simply can not understand why there is not a single gaming site who can upload such files, this makes me really angry lol. Not even Gamersyde has perfect videos this time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
But bulk of the city backdrop is not a skybox. I wish people would stop saying this, because it's completely inaccurate. The city scape, whilst likely not explorable (though you do go through some of it in the demo) is still geometric, rendered, textured, lit et all. The actual skybox in this gameplay demo was actually a bit weak. Lacking in drama. I want a skybox more akin to the E3 2005 reveal (exaggerated clouds etc). Though maybe the serene calm skies was intentional, to give the false sense of peace and serenity.

I believe he is using the term "skybox" to describe a large vista which is 100% uninteractive. He's not calling it a matte painting.

ITT people don't know what a skybox is.

its a FPS, no matter how "open it is", you'll be running around carefully composed 3D environments, experiencing what is going to be largely scripted events.

nib95

Banned
I believe he is using the term "skybox" to describe a large vista which is 100% uninteractive. He's not calling it a matte painting.

Then it's not a sky box. On a side note, in the demo when he clings on to the ship, he travels through a substantial portion of the city, where you get to sample some of the geometrical and design details. There's even some destructibility thrown in, so to call it a completely un-interactive sky box is inaccurate and grossly unfair.

I guarantee a substantial amount of developer time and hardware resources are used up on these segments.

So much negativity in this thread. It looked graphically incredible, and gameplay wise is very much just a linear shooter with set pieces in the mix, but that's all you need for a fun single player campaign. The soundtrack, especially in the beginning was incredible. Love the art style as with the previous games. Just need a good multiplayer component, akin to KZ2 and it'll be a solid launch title.

Yea soundtrack was amazing. As we're sound effects. The track in the opening us what I expected in the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer from CDProjekt.

So much negativity in this thread. It looked graphically incredible, and gameplay wise is very much just a linear shooter with set pieces in the mix, but that's all you need for a fun single player campaign. The soundtrack, especially in the beginning was incredible. Love the art style as with the previous games. Just need a good multiplayer component, akin to KZ2 and it'll be a solid launch title.

Visceir

Then it's not a sky box. On a side note, in the demo when he clings on to the ship, he travels through a substantial portion of the city, where you get to sample some of the geometrical and design details. There's even some destructibility thrown in, so to call it a completely interactive sky box in inaccurate and grossly unfair.

I guarantee a substantial amount of developer time and hardware resources are used up on these segments.

I suppose one could argue that a capable developer could achieve the same results on last gen hardware by using smoke and mirror tricks. None of it really enhanced the gameplay.

Edit: I do think the demo was quite impressive. Just the gameplay was "more of the same"

EatChildren

You're right. Skybox was the wrong term. It's technically incorrect.

But I'm still not impressed by the scale. The scale does basically nothing for me, because it's not really anything new. Games have had huge vistas before.

Yet I'm not saying said Vista looks bad. Not at all. Shadow Fall looks incredible. The vista looks good because of the art direction and the processing effects used, not necessarily because it's big or because of scale (for me, anyway). I was just as impressed by the clean IQ and gorgeous detail once he landed on the surface.

EvB

While there's no doubt some bullshottery and cleaning going on here, what we're seeing here seems well beyond what we've seen in current games - I'm not sure where that argument is coming from. What's with the Crysis 3 fans popping in here? No doubt C3 has fidelity, but the scale is just a completely different story.

And why is not one talking about the art design? Looks gorgeous. Kudos to Guerrilla - they seem to have upped their game significantly. Loving the return to Vekta.

They are all natively rendered in 4k for a start, that gameplay video wasn't running 4k.

Even from the gameplay video I think they have used some very clever smoke and mirror techniques to get such lovely visuals.
I think that the Cityscape is an FMV matte painting, the distance is great enough for there to be enough parallax for it not to be an issue, but also as it's entirely on rails they can sync the realtime parts up perfectly with the background.

As he jumps out onto the floor there is a point where there is nothing visible except the floor texture, I'd suspect it could be switching to entirely in game assets at this point.

EDIT
Just saw it in 1080p and the city looks like 3D apple maps.

nib95

Banned
You're right. Skybox was the wrong term. It's technically incorrect.

But I'm still not impressed by the scale. The scale does basically nothing for me, because it's not really anything new. Games have had huge vistas before.

Yet I'm not saying said Vista looks bad. Not at all. Shadow Fall looks incredible. The vista looks good because of the art direction and the processing effects used, not necessarily because it's big or because of scale (for me, anyway). I was just as impressed by the clean IQ and gorgeous detail once he landed on the surface.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I think in terms of immersion and narrative, the city scape was absolutely necessary and probably not as viable last gen. They wanted to give Vetka the look and feel of a thriving, bustling, expansive modern utopia, and that's exactly what they did. Not using so much of the smoke and mirrors of past gen, but actually modelling and rendering this city, with unique architecture and design thrown in all over. The latter half of the demo even exploring some of it.

For someone like me it's pure design eye candy, and I love to stop and gander at this sort of stuff.

Looks like there is some Ratchet in this Killzone. Not very interested, really shootered-out at this point (unless we get a new Bulletstorm!) but it sure looks nice.

Can't wait until we see what the real developers have been cooking for the system.

acm2000

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I think in terms of immersion and narrative, the city scape was absolutely necessary and probably not as viable last gen. They wanted to give Vetka the look and feel of a thriving, bustling, expansive modern utopia, and that's exactly what they did. Not using so much of the smoke and mirrors of past gen, but actually modelling and rendering this city, with unique architecture and design thrown in all over. The latter half of the demo even exploring some of it.

For someone like me it's pure design eye candy, and I love to stop and gander at this sort of stuff.

GG are kings of post processing effects, if you look at the real screenshots, the buildings are actually pretty basic and low poly, then in the distance theyre just a skybox, i was expecting more in the way of actual 3d detail in next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom