• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill me now. Hollywood is remaking The Raid: Redemption with Expendables 3 Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I can't wait till generic hollywood white guy #6753 spends 3 months in the gym with a Krav Maga 'master' and they try to recreate this scene using flash cuts and quick zooms.

Over under on it starring Jason Statham?

13972463962_f716f9d93b_o.gif

Aurongel

Yes but whenever Hollywood takes on something like this, it usually screws it up bad especially on the topic of martial arts which is more relevant in Asia. I have no clue how this is gonna work out...

I completely agree. It really makes me wonder how Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon made as much money as it did in NA back in the day. Must have been lightning in a bottle as far as martial arts films go.

The Expendable films has the worst action sequences/scenes in the history of action movies. Every single action scene in the two movies are corny as shit. I have zero faith the Remake will be good in any way.

Pretty sure I actually climaxed the first time I saw that. That machete fight is still the most violent martial arts scene I think I've ever seen. God, it absolutely kills me that The Raid 2 wasn't theatrically released where I live. I've got my Blu Ray pre-order money all wadded up with nowhere to throw it.

abadguy

Banned
The Expendable films has the worst action sequences/scenes in the history of action movies. Every single action scene in the two movies are corny as shit. I have zero faith the Remake will be good in any way.

To be fair this guy didn't direct the first two movies.

Edit:

Sorry Evilore. I'll just put him on ignore.

For all the fans of The Raid, our movie(s) still exists. Nothing will change about those. Hollywood can remake them and attempt to match their greatness. History says they won't do it justice, but that's to be determined.

PsychBat!

Banned
Pretty sure I actually climaxed the first time I saw that. That machete fight is still the most violent martial arts scene I think I've ever seen. God, it absolutely kills me that The Raid 2 wasn't theatrically released where I live. I've got my Blu Ray pre-order money all wadded up with nowhere to throw it.

You should see the Rama vs Baseball Bat Man and Hammer Girl fight. It's much more gruesome.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

I was about to go on a "yeah but in The Raid 2..." spiel but...you didn't see it haha. Prepare yourself. PREPARE THINESELF.

Anyway, I was thinking that the remake does need a silat representative. Sure they want to have a mix of styles, but they definitely need some silat in there. It just looks so goddamn amazing on screen.

You should see the Rama vs Baseball Bat Man and Hammer Girl. It's much more gruesome.

The Assassin vs Rama in the kitchen represent! Good lawd.

FTF

It will be a great day when that blu-ray arrives, as the Raid 2 was freakin awesome. Watching them back to back will be glorious.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Well, I think I need to watch this movie now thanks to the gifs in this thread! As for a remake, you do know it won't make the original disappear right?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I'll need to watch it a few more times, but my initial impression after watching that fight is that it's the greatest martial arts fight ever filmed. I actually applauded when that fight finished and I've never clapped in a movie theatre in my life.

Yea because it'll likely be advertised me and be played on more screens. Hopefully this will spark interest in the original and the sequel. Last I heard, the second one isn't doing so great.

Good. As much as I loved the first movie, the second one is a mess comparatively. Did NOT need to be two and a half hours long, good lord.

I liked The Raid, but the whole time I was thinking "this would be much better if it were american." Really can't stand all the asian stuff (language, setting, Etc.).

Thank god for this and for Elementary.

It can't possibly be worse than the original, so why the fuck not.

FUCKING INTERNET HIGH FIVE RIGHT HERE

I tried to like The Raid but I just got bored halfway through, had to leave to run an errand
when the two brothers met
and just decided I didn't need to go back for the second half. Some interesting shots but just overall an uninteresting experience.

It's the same way I thought about The Hunger Games and Battle Royale. People were saying Hunger Games was just a Battle Royale ripoff, and my thinking was, "Not like Battle Royale couldn't be made so much better than it was."

Wasteman

Banned
Good. As much as I loved the first movie, the second one is a mess comparatively. Did NOT need to be two and a half hours long, good lord.

I can adhere to this, but I don't think it detracted from the fight scenes which I personally found better then all the last (Apart from the finale). You can't blame Gareth for trying to add a bit of substance though, and yeah it was too long but the heart was in the right place. Hopefully, he's learnt his lesson for the 3rd and if that means he put out a film with the story quality at even 30% of the fighting quality I'll be happy. I do agree though, the film could easily be taken down to 2 hours, maybe a bit less

abadguy

Banned
FUCKING INTERNET HIGH FIVE RIGHT HERE

I tried to like The Raid but I just got bored halfway through, had to leave to run an errand
when the two brothers met
and just decided I didn't need to go back for the second half. Some interesting shots but just overall an uninteresting experience.

It's the same way I thought about The Hunger Games and Battle Royale. People were saying Hunger Games was just a Battle Royale ripoff, and my thinking was, "Not like Battle Royale couldn't be made so much better than it was."

Too bad The Hunger Games isn't even close to as good as Battle Royal.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'll need to watch it a few more times, but my initial impression after watching that fight is that it's the greatest martial arts fight ever filmed. I actually applauded when that fight finished and I've never clapped in a movie theatre in my life.

Actually that might be a common reaction, because most of my theater started clapping at the end of that fight too. I was honestly stuck by how out of breath I was after the whole thing. I felt exhausted. The scene is just a gorgeous display of martial artistry, that evolves into pure tension and grueling violence. It's a goddamn rollercoaster ride, printed on film.

I can't help but laugh at the line of thinking that "Well, more story could improve on the original." That's like missing the entire point of what The Raid was. That's like a foreign remake of Gravity with 5 central characters instead of 2 and a bunch of human drama because "Well the first one ain't got no story." The Raid is a pure survival-action martial arts movie about a SWAT team that goes into an apartment complex and gets stuck in hell, period. One central location, minimal story or characterization, lots of crazy action, END. It's great because of how stripped down it is. Not everyone will like that sort of thing, but "more story" wouldn't make it a better Raid, it would make it a different experience.

CREMSteve

I literally held my breath through the pinnacle of that fight, when it was over I let out a huge exhale.

That's never happened to me before, saying it's the best fight ever put to film isn't far off.

I liked The Raid, but the whole time I was thinking "this would be much better if it were american." Really can't stand all the asian stuff (language, setting, Etc.).

Thank god for this and for Elementary.

I know this is most likely sarcasm, but Elementary is actually good. I don't have as much hope for a Raid remake, though.

I can adhere to this, but I don't think it detracted from the fight scenes which I personally found better then all the last (Apart from the finale). You can't blame Gareth for trying to add a bit of substance though, and yeah it was too long but the heart was in the right place. Hopefully, he's learnt his lesson for the 3rd and if that means he put out a film with the story quality at even 30% of the fighting quality I'll be happy. I do agree though, the film could easily be taken down to 2 hours, maybe a bit less

Pretty much the entire last 45 minutesish was glorious top tier action in line with the first Raid. The hour 45 leading up to it was a bloated, self-indulgent suckfest. I get what they were trying to go for but it just didn't work at all.

I can't help but laugh at the line of thinking that "Well, more story could improve on the original." That's like missing the entire point of what The Raid was. That's like a foreign remake of Gravity with 5 central characters instead of 2 and a bunch of human drama because "Well the first one ain't got no story." The Raid is a pure survival-action martial arts movie about a SWAT team that goes into an apartment complex and gets stuck in hell, period. One central location, minimal story or characterization, lots of crazy action, END. It's great because of how stripped down it is. Not everyone will like that sort of thing, but "more story" wouldn't make it a better Raid, it would make it a different experience.

"More story" is exactly what the Raid 2 had and it made the movie suck. If the American version takes its cues from the sequel, I'll definitely be passing.

"More story" is exactly what the Raid 2 had and it made the movie suck. If the American version takes its cues from the sequel, I'll definitely be passing.

"More story" doesn't inherently make The Raid 2 worse. You might not like the execution, but it's a completely different style of film which called for a bigger scope and more characters.

This post, I don't understand it.

He's joking.

commedieu

Banned
Misread it as remaking Raid with the expendable a cast, that would of been great.

lol I can already see it:

Plan A. Infiltrate Crime Gang as a teen-aged indonesian baseball team.

After their cover is blown, as its Sylvester Stalone and Dolph Lundgren's jersey is the wrong size.... They go to;

Plan B. Destroy entire building.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Misread it as remaking Raid with the expendable a cast, that would of been great.

Okay, for this scene, the original had an amazing five minute action sequence. Our version, we're gonna have Jason Statham punch a guy, then a guy's behind him, then Stallone shoots the guy and Statham turns around, and they banter back and forth wooden and sarcastically each delivering badass lines like "That's one for me," and "I had him right where I wanted him," for four and a half minutes.

FTF

But Dredd already exists.

Yeah seriously...they spent $50m on Dredd and it made like $12m domestically (and only $35m ww). This remake could be an Oldboy (or to a lessor extent Let the Right One In) bomb all over again (with the original far exceeding the remake movie wise as well).

Ever since The Departed, Hollywood keeps chasing that remake money, but it's rarely there.

As a huge of fan of the original and a huge fan of action movies in general, I welcome it. Expendables 2 had some amazing fight scenes so I don't see the issue.

Also if they think there is a market for an english Raid movie, then they sure as shit need to make Dredd 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom