• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill me now. Hollywood is remaking The Raid: Redemption with Expendables 3 Director

Status
Not open for further replies.
First mistake. I don't want to see a martial arts movie full of white guys with six months of training, I want motherfuckers who've been backflipping since before they could walk and don't mind throwing a spinning kick nine hundred times to get the shot perfect.
Who the freakin hell can replace Mad Dog?

tumblr_m57jkrzttk1r836szo1_500.gif

Serious question.

Wasteman

Banned
I'll reserve judgement for this film but the excuse "not many people have seen it" is a shoddy excuse for a remake. Like someone posted earlier, the fact they are going to get normal actors and train them up is an early warning sign. In the Raid they actually fought each other, ok they learned to control the power of there strikes but they still hit each other.

Who the freakin hell can replace Mad Dog?

tumblr_m57jkrzttk1r836szo1_500.gif

Serious question.

One of the most awesome OP'd antagonist ever. Main character was just kicking ass throughout and Mad Dog was a like a pure brick-wall. His smaller stature just hid his pure deadliness. Mad Dog....what a perfectly apt name.

Glass Rebel

First mistake. I don't want to see a martial arts movie full of white guys with six months of training, I want motherfuckers who've been backflipping since before they could walk and don't mind throwing a spinning kick nine hundred times to get the shot perfect.

Don't worry, they'll replace all the hand-to-hand combat with "realistic fights".

.GqueB.

Banned
I bet more people will see the remake in the United States than have seen the original.

Yea because it'll likely be advertised me and be played on more screens. Hopefully this will spark interest in the original and the sequel. Last I heard, the second one isn't doing so great.

abadguy

Banned

They should hire "The Stunt People" for the western remake. They fit that description perfectly. (Also Watch Contour)

I can see why some might not like The Raid. Roger Ebert hated it.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-raid-redemption-2012

When i read shit like this it's almost like the critic is attempting to insult the people who enjoyed the film. Maybe i am misunderstanding.

I can see why some might not like The Raid. Roger Ebert hated it.

There's obviously an audience for the film, probably a large one. They are content, even eager, to sit in a theater and watch one action figure after another pound and blast one another to death. They require no dialogue, no plot, no characters, no humanity. Have you noticed how cats and dogs will look at a TV screen on which there are things jumping around? It is to that level of the brain's reptilian complex that the film appeals.
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-raid-redemption-2012

artist

Banned
Expendables, Patrick Hughes, Dredd, remake ... are all terrible things, none of them I wanted to be associated with The Raid.

The Raid had a hell of a lot of CG Blood (Raid 2 did too).

True, but i feel like Raid was always targetting a R, so even if there wasn't blood, some of those kills were brutal as fuck.

But yeah i can see where people might think Raid was bad. Story wise i found it kinda hard to follow and kinda mediocre, the fights were top notch though.

Raid 2 though, decent story, stellar fights, just an overall good movie, vs a good martial arts flick.

Aurongel

I don't believe in the weird internet logic of "the remake was bad and it killed my love for the original". I enjoyed the hell out of the first Raid (second bombed hard and left my theater fast) but there was definitely room for improvement. The story for example could use some tightening up and never felt at least serviceable.

EDIT: Also, stop feeding ComputerMKII's site attention.

sunnz

NO, PLEASE NO. I don't want it to be like this.

BUT
I can't wait to see how cringeworthy the fighting looks in comparison though.

Ridley327

It's kind of weird that they would set out to remake the film, since it's not exactly the font of originality when it comes to its story, setting, and characters. Does it really need to be called The Raid in order to justify the martial arts action?

abadguy

Banned
I don't believe in the weird internet logic of "the remake was bad and it killed my love for the original". I enjoyed the hell out of the first Raid (second bombed hard and left my theater fast) but there was definitely room for improvement. The story for example could use some tightening up and never felt at least serviceable.

I don't think it's possible for the remake to kill my enjoyment of the original, but i also don't see it actually improving on it either. Maybe i will be proven wrong. I'll give it a chance at least, i did so for Oldboy( and i actually enjoyed Spike Lee's take, even though it's not as good as the original)but i don't expect the best aspect of the Raid( the fights , naturally) to be anywhere as good as the original though. Sucks that the second one bombed, it was excellent though and better than the first IMO.

Raguel

Didn't see the warning. Anyways, i blame this remake happening on the people who didn't see either Raid. They were fantastic. Raid 2 was just phenomenal action esp during the kitchen fight. I told everyone to see it and they were like what's that? There was only 6 other people during the showing i attended. It was depressing. But god damn. The kitchen scene.

sunnz

It's kind of weird that they would set out to remake the film, since it's not exactly the font of originality when it comes to its story, setting, and characters. Does it really need to be called The Raid in order to justify the martial arts action?

But it does have the best action/fighting in any film, maybe only surpassed by the raid 2.

( imo, obviously)

EDIT: Also, stop feeding ComputerMKII's site attention.

Yes but whenever Hollywood takes on something like this, it usually screws it up bad especially on the topic of martial arts which is more relevant in Asia. I have no clue how this is gonna work out...maybe he will cast Jet Li? He's in Expendables 3 isn't he?

Ridley327

But it does have the best action/fighting in any film, maybe only surpassed by the raid 2.

( imo, obviously)

I mean, I get that and all, but it's not operating on some kind of unique framework that would really necessitate doing a direct remake of it. They're honestly better off saving their money and doing the same kind of movie without having to pay off some production companies.

jett

D-Member
I don't know why are the even bothering. The action and choreography is what was great about The Raid, not the story. This is like remaking a martial arts HK movie with American actors. It's pointless.

The jury is out on this director. We'll see if he has the action chops with EX3.

inm8num2

I don't know why are the even bothering. The action and choreography is what was great about The Raid, not the story. This is like remaking a martial arts HK movie with American actors. It¿s pointless.

But this time the movie can be made for people who don't like subtitles or tan-colored people.

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't know why are the even bothering. The action and choreography is what was great about The Raid, not the story. This is like remaking a martial arts HK movie with American actors. It's pointless.

Up next: ip man, starring Jason Statham.

Zero315

Banned
Meh. I'd like to see another take on it. The original movie didn't have some amazing history\story that needs to be preserved. Nothing does really (because who gives a shit) but this even less so.

The issue that I have with this kind of remake is that here you have this great film with great actors, yet instead of championing that they decide to take it and "westernize" it. The Raid: Redemption is only a couple years old, there is no need for a remake other than making it more "palatable" to western audiences.

Wasteman

Banned
It upsetting the Raid 2 bombed in the US. It actually did alright here, in the UK. It took just under £500,000 on the opening weekend, which for a cult independent foreign film is pretty decent.

Hopefully one day people will get over subtitles. I remember when I went to see the first Raid and the staff member I bought my ticket off said "Do you know this film is subtitled ?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom