• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill me now. Hollywood is remaking The Raid: Redemption with Expendables 3 Director

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Raid Remake Will Feature "A Clash of Fighting Styles"
Director reveals story and casting plans for U.S. remake.
He hasn’t even finished The Expendables 3, but red-hot Australian director Patrick Hughes is already prepping his follow-up feature: the US remake of Indonesian (albeit directed by Welshman Gareth Evans) action masterpiece The Raid.

Action aficionados surely know this already, but The Raid came seemingly out of nowhere in 2012. The tale of a S.W.A.T. team sent into a Jakarta high-rise to take out a vicious mobster, only to get trapped and have to shoot, stab, punch and kick their way out, it blew fans away with its epic and inventive, fast and furious fight scenes. Its success, though modest by US box-office standards, means that even more ambitious sequel The Raid 2 is already assaulting audiences as we speak.

As with Hong Kong action cinema, however, The Raid had a very specific and proud national identity. Fans of the original could be forgiven for considering a Westernized version a betrayal; but Hughes’ take on why and what he wants his film to be may reassure them.

“It’s a phenomenal action film but unfortunately not enough people went and saw it,” says Hughes, buzzing with enthusiasm down the line from Bulgaria where he's still working on Expendables 3. “So what we’re doing with this [remake], it’s got a broader landscape to it and revolves around the world of the DEA FAST [Foreign-Deployed Advisory and Support Teams] Teams, which is a really interesting take on it.”

For the uninitiated, the Drug Enforcement Administration details its elite FAST tactical units as follows: “FAST units provide immediate tactical responses to emerging threats around the globe. Using training methods reserved for the nation’s most elite special operations forces, FAST units can rapidly deploy and bring to bear enormous firepower and tactical skill to eliminate or apprehend narcotics kingpins or terrorist leaders.” Uh-oh.

This potentially explains the issue of how an action movie firmly rooted in Indonesian martial artistry can translate to Hollywood. “Because it’s an American take,” continues Hughes, “in terms of the martial arts, you’re looking at a clash of cultures and also a clash of fighting styles.”

But even with a culture clash established, which US stars could legitimately perform to the level of Raid star Iko Uwais and his crew? Despite it being so early in pre-production Hughes seems very confident with the talent he’s scouting.

“It’s an ensemble piece but we’re looking at training [the actors] up,” he reveals. “Obviously I can’t name names yet but there are certain people that bring a skill set and there are certain people who are about to go into six months of training before we shoot.”
Lest anyone get the idea that Hughes is bringing the same expansive blockbuster tone required for an Expendables movie, he’s quick to flag up both his credentials – previous low-budget feature Red Hill was a much more intimate, character-based shoot-‘em-up – and what he wants to keep from the original Raid.

“Expendables 3 is a big fun popcorn movie,” he says, “and this will be a really nitty-gritty action movie. It has such a wonderful premise, it’s so simple and so raw and at the end of the day it’s a survival movie. Once the lights go out it becomes war and that’s certainly what appealed to me about it. My hope with the aesthetics and action set pieces aside, is to elevate it by matching the emotional ride and the action ride.” Buckle up.
For the uninitiated, The Raid: Redemption is a martial arts masterpiece set in Jakarta, Indonesia starring Iko Uwais. There's bloodcurdling brutality in the movie and one of the best fight scenes ever filmed. Of course Hollywood will remake it.

It can't possibly be worse than the original, so why the fuck not.

634.gif

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I'm all for it, I had a hard time watching all the knifings but I could watch dudes get shot all day long.

.GqueB.

Banned
Meh. I'd like to see another take on it. The original movie didn't have some amazing history\story that needs to be preserved. Nothing does really (because who gives a shit) but this even less so.

OP have you ever seen a movie from that director?

Anyway I heard good things about Red Hill, and Expendables 3 is not out yet. For all I know Patrick Hughes could be a great filmmaker.

Bleepey

I look forward to the remake. The way i see it is the original film(s) will always be there if the film is shit, if it's good we have another film. There have been some decent remakes of Western films like the Departed.

Enco

The Raid is one of the best action movies I have ever seen.

Doubt this will be as good or any better. Who knows though. Might be wrong.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It’s a phenomenal action film but unfortunately not enough people went and saw it
Um, so give it a proper release? lol...

Eh, I can't stop 'em from doing this dumb idea, but if they're gonna do it, I hope it's not shit. And I hope the people who made the original get a cut.

.GqueB.

Banned
Stop feeding the troll. It's crazy how much you're feeding that troll. He won't have to eat for weeks at this rate. He's had his fill.

“It’s an ensemble piece but we’re looking at training [the actors] up,” he reveals. “Obviously I can’t name names yet but there are certain people that bring a skill set and there are certain people who are about to go into six months of training before we shoot.”

First mistake. I don't want to see a martial arts movie full of white guys with six months of training, I want motherfuckers who've been backflipping since before they could walk and don't mind throwing a spinning kick nine hundred times to get the shot perfect.

.GqueB.

Banned
First mistake. I don't want to see a martial arts movie full of white guys with six months of training, I want motherfuckers who've been backflipping since before they could walk and don't mind throwing a spinning kick nine hundred times to get the shot perfect.

Then watch the movie with the motherfuckers who've been backflipping since before they could walk and don't mind throwing a spinning kick nine hundred times to get the shot perfect.

Curious to see what they do with this. It's gonna be silly as hell. Day 120 or so.

And here's the other thing... I haven't seen The Raid 2 yet but as amazing and non-stop as the action was in the original, I think an action movie is always better with characters and stories you actually care about... so it's not like there is absolutely no room for improvement.

This right here, perfect!

CREMSteve

And here's the other thing... I haven't seen The Raid 2 yet but as amazing and non-stop as the action was in the original, I think an action movie is always better with characters and stories you actually care about... so it's not like there is absolutely no room for improvement.
Then the sequel will satisfy you greatly.

abadguy

Banned

I thought the sequel was a lot better than the first and that's saying something considering the first movie is like the "Hard Boiled" of Martial arts movies for me. ( hell they even had a guy named Mad Dog in it)

Red Hill was a great indie western that I would recommend most people in this thread watch. Also considering the director also clarified you shouldn't expect an Expendables type film with the remake there is some hope it could be good.

/\/\/\
This guy know what he's talking about.

It should also be noted that the director also made Red Hill, which is a damn good modern Australian Western.

watch it be pg-13 (or pg-13 turned R with cg blood)

Still, im interested to see hollywood go full martial arts flick, no cg stunts, no shaky cam or weird cuts during hand to hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom