• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids Networks lose half of their audience

Lupingosei

Banned
EpZf61rXMAQr5Et

If you ever were wondering, what the results were of not creating shows for kids anymore, but for the Twitter audience, here is the answer.

Nobody wants to watch it, especially not kids. Of course, for everybody with half a brain, this was clear, all the "inclusive" toys don't sell either, the comic industry tanked and whole franchises were killed.

Usually, at this point people start screaming, well all toys don't sell anymore (Marvel toys sell), Comics don't sell anymore (Demon Slayer manga alone sold as much / more than the whole US comic industry in a year), Kids don't watch TV (Anime is very successful both on Streaming, Youtube and in TV).

Dacon

Banned
Because they stopped making their content for children and started making it for young adults.

You can exactly pinpoint when in Adventure Time the show stopped being aimed at kids, and started being aimed at older audiences.

The show stopped being about a kid and his dog going on dumb adventures and having fun. It started being about relationship drama, existentialism, and depression.

Last edited:

With quality content like Thunder Cats Roar and She Ra who would have thought it.

My son grew up with Transformers Prime. My daughter liked a few British shows like Peppa Pig and Buzz Bee but American shows? Nope. My daughter would rather play video games or watch video games on YouTube than watch any current cartoon.

Now my kids both will watch old cartoons like Batman TAS, Xmen, Spider-Man etc.

Batiman

Banned
Cartoons are shit nowadays. Got my son binge watching OG Simpsons. He’s in love with the show. Besides that, the only shows he was a big in was adventure time, dragonball and Pokémon when he was younger. But like me, he’d rather watch movies.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
White people fiction in 2020 is mostly garbage. The shift for normies jumping onto anime is gonna be painful.

Most kids these days are addicted to YouTube though so their brains are getting warped into thinking at 8 years old they can be a streamer when they have 0 interests or personality.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
American Cartoons/Comic Books are trash anyways.

They lost their quality years ago partly due to PC Culture/bad writing staffs plaguing the industry.
You aren't wrong. Even low tier shonen/harem/isekai anime is vastly superior to nu western cartoons. You guys want to internally cringe? Watch the Animaniacs reboot. It is literally everything wrong with western tv shows.

White people fiction in 2020 is mostly garbage.
lol what
The shift for normies jumping onto anime is gonna be painful.
That happened roughly 12 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

GAMETA

Banned
Probably because of the streaming services? My son's 10 and likes Gumball, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Regular Show, Phineas and Ferb, Sponge Bob, Jorel's Brother (you should look for it, lol, not sure you'll find it in English, though).. they're fun... and he watches them all on Netflix/Disney+

I gotta imagine this is because of a combination of Netflix and YouTube, and kids' parents cord-cutting cable TV.

No. Didn't you read the first two posts? It is because of PC CULTURES. No other explanation. Just totally ignore the year after year trend of people moving over to streaming services, it's those evil wokes and their woke agenda that has tanked these kids networks.

Lupingosei

Banned
No. Didn't you read the first two posts? It is because of PC CULTURES. No other explanation. Just totally ignore the year after year trend of people moving over to streaming services, it's those evil wokes and their woke agenda that has tanked these kids networks.

As I already mentioned, even on streaming services it is Anime witch dominates. For toys and comics is the same thing. Comics don't sell, mangas do, Star Wars toys bomb, Marvel don't.

Do you really think kids switched from Steven Universe to She-Ra?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Kids watching old cartoons that aren't airing on netflix is not the same thing brosef.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
As I already mentioned, even on streaming services it is Anime witch dominates. For toys and comics is the same thing. Comics don't sell, mangas do, Star Wars toys bomb, Marvel don't.

It's youtube that dominates with kids.

Dude, streaming services cover the gamut from SpongeBob all the way to new original stuff like Last Kids on Earth. There is an absolute plethora of children's shows to watch on the multitude of streaming services. Do you really think it is more plausible kids channels are dying off because of some woke agenda, rather than the massive shift away from cable to streaming services that has been occurring for years now? Come on. Occam's razor and all that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, streaming services cover the gamut from SpongeBob all the way to new original stuff like Last Kids on Earth. There is an absolute plethora of children's shows to watch on the multitude of streaming services. Do you really think it is more plausible kids channels are dying off because of some woke agenda, rather than the massive shift away from cable to streaming services that has been occurring for years now? Come on. Occam's razor and all that.
The new CN, Disney and Nick shit isn't being watched on streaming services either they are watching all the old shit.

theclaw135

Banned
Companies have a strange, irrational, fear of making shows squarely for kids. Almost everything slips in suggestive jokes or references to bump up the rating.

Spiderman rimming Elsa on youtube comment nailed it.
Kids are force fed frenetic sexualized nonsense from birth.

"MOMMY IS BUSY WATCHING HER SHOW JUST PLAY ON THE iPAD BRAEDYN" but braeydynn is 9 months old and his skull is going flat because nobody interacts with him and he's having the curiosity center of his brain smoothed with a bowling ball polisher.

then school rolls around "BRAYEDNE WONT SIT STILL HE CANT PAY ATTENTION THE DOC SAID PUT HIM ON DEM PILLS AND SHIT"
now his daily snack is amphetamines

TLDR good job gen x and millennial parents

Lanrutcon

My nephew had a phone and youtube. He grew up watching Minecraft tutorials, not TV. He had both options.

Well, as long as he kept his grades up.

baphomet

Well no shit.

People who have kids today don't really pay for cable.

All channels have lost over half their viewers since 2010.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
YouTube did this. My neice, kid cousins, and nephew don't watch tv. Just YouTube all the time.

My niece is odd. She knows everything about dragon ball. All the characters. All the lore. Its because she watches a bunch of YouTube videos discussing db. Her dad and I tried to get her to watch the show. She hated it. Couldn't last an entire episode.

Kids these days need a constant barrage of hyper stimulation. If they're not getting it then they become bored. I can't imagine what their thoughts are like.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I gotta imagine this is because of a combination of Netflix and YouTube, and kids' parents cord-cutting cable TV.
Totally.

My niece and nephews wanting to watch kids shows just jump on YT or Netflix.

Even when they were really young and didn't know how to to use a tablet or PC I still never saw them clamouring to kids TV stations. Their parents would sit with them and he'd do the work finding them random shit to watch from the net.

Seems like they preferred that instead of just having them sit in front of YTV for hours.

Last edited:

Falcs

Banned
I've been slowly building up a collection of good old cartoons for my son to watch when he's older.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (from the 80s/90s)
Duck Tales
Ahh Real Monsters
Batman, the Animated Series
Spiderman the Animate Series
Simpsons seasons 1 - 8 or 9ish
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog /Sonic SatAM

KielCasto

This isn't surprising. Parents and kids just moved on to streaming, I guess. I know my niece lasts two seconds in a Youtube video before clicking the next one.

I know I'm out of touch, but I hear only young adults discussing kids shows (ahem Steven Universe and We Bare Bears) now. And there isn't a newish show that's blown up.

TheMan

TV isn't cool anymore, there are way too many competing outlets for media consumption nowadays. Plus, with something like youtube you can watch exactly what you want, when you want, as many times as you want. TV will never beat that

sinnergy

American Cartoons/Comic Books are trash anyways.

They lost their quality years ago partly due to PC Culture/bad writing staffs plaguing the industry.

Teen Titan Go is a prime example of thr garbage that exists in American Kids Television.

Also, this:

Spawn was awesome as a comic in the 90s.

Top Bottom