• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kick-Ass director Matthew Vaughn confirms that a "f***ing nuts" reboot is coming in two years

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
fb_kickass-3-hit-girl-movie-prequel-plans.jpg

Kick-Ass, a big screen adaptation of Mark Millar and John Romita Jr.'s comic book series, was released back in 2010.
Despite receiving positive reviews from critics, it didn't make a huge impact at the box office, but enough of one (especially against its modest budget) on home video to warrant a sequel.

That was, to be brutally honest, terrible. With that, the franchise fell by the wayside, and director Matthew Vaughn - who helmed the first instalment before handing the follow-up to Jeff Wadlow - moved on to the Kingsman series.
Now, though, a reboot is in the works. Talking to Collider, The King's Man helmer said: "We’ve got a big reboot of Kick-Ass in two years. Big reboot."

"It's so [frick]ing nuts that I can't talk about it," he added. "But we've got that ready to go. All the rights revert back in two years and then we're going to reboot it where people will be like, he is insane."

Kick-Ass was one of the first successful R-Rated superhero movies, and generated a lot of controversy at the time.
That was primarily because of the language and violence surrounding young Chloë Grace Moretz, and it sounds like the follow-up will be every bit as divisive among moviegoers.

"So, I had this idea, and it was so nuts that I went, ‘Yeah, great. It’ll cause just as much controversy, and everyone will talk about it and as many people that love it will hate it.’ But I’m not saying it hasn’t got the characters in it and won't have, you know. I'm just saying it's not what anyone could be imagining what it is," Vaughn teased.
"And I'm going to need one very, very brave actor or actress to play the new Kick-Ass because it will scare the shit out of them."

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol I wonder what hes planning.

Kickass was pretty controversial at the time but now its childs play.

kondorBonk

Weird. I wonder if it has something more to do with expiring contracts and Netflix gaining Millarworld properties. Vaughn is actually talented and he did a great job adapting both Millar's Kingsmen and Kick-Ass. Despite Netflix now having the rights to nearly all his properties, they really dropped the ball with Jupiters Legacy.

MIllar is probably far happier these properties still being handled outside of Netflix. Sure he got a metric fuck load of money, but his properties were promised to be the foundation of this massive Netflix undertaking which they predictably fucked up. As an artist, he's probably giving his blessing for them to hold onto the rights as long as possible.

Dural

Still my favorite comic book adaptation, one of the only ones I liked better than the comic. Nicholas Cage was great as Big Daddy, his scene in the warehouse is so fucking good! Not sure how I feel about a reboot already,, but Matthew Vaughn is great so as long as he is directing I'll check it out.

TDiddyLive

"And I'm going to need one very, very brave actor or actress to play the new Kick-Ass because it will scare the shit out of them."

Yeah… ok tough guy…

Dr_Salt

Kickass 1 is a great movie. The second one is shit. I'm betting this reboot is gonna suck balls.

Last edited:

Doom85

Definitely worth a watch. Both it and the sequel.

Thank U Reaction GIF by BROCKHAMPTON

Thank you. While the first one is better, my friends and I all enjoyed the second one and were surprised by the intense backlash it got. Granted, all the complaints I heard were about changing stuff from the comic, but honestly from the sounds of it the changes were for the better for my tastes.

Also cool to see Jim Carrey one last time before it felt like he vanished until finally returning to play Dr. Robotnik in Sonic.

Denton

Kick Ass 2 was awesome. I would have thought Vaughn did it if I didn't know any better. Jim Carrey was great, as was Mother Russia. I need to rewatch both films.

Reboot? I would prefer continuation.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Thank U Reaction GIF by BROCKHAMPTON

Thank you. While the first one is better, my friends and I all enjoyed the second one and were surprised by the intense backlash it got. Granted, all the complaints I heard were about changing stuff from the comic, but honestly from the sounds of it the changes were for the better for my tastes.

Also cool to see Jim Carrey one last time before it felt like he vanished until finally returning to play Dr. Robotnik in Sonic.
Agreed on all counts. Really got some undeserved backlash even though the sequel isn't quite as good as the first. Thoroughly entertaining either way and that's all that matters to me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Vaughn's been pretty consistent over the years, ironically much more so then Guy Ritchie! I can't think of any real stinkers he's directed at least, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

pramod

Banned
Kick-Ass paved the way for all the ultra realistic and hyper violent super hero stuff we see these days like The Boys. I hope they don't remake it, as far as I'm concerned the original was perfect, one of my all time favorites.

*Nightwing

"So, I had this idea, and it was so nuts that I went, ‘Yeah, great. It’ll cause just as much controversy, and everyone will talk about it and as many people that love it will hate it.’

=bad writing and bad plot with no continuity to already established storyline incoming as par for course for Hollywood in 21st century

Hard pass before it’s even on paper just based on this one sentence

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
People have problems with this? Maybe don't watch it than, Kick ass wants to be right there with the Marvel and DC movies.

Scotty W

So, I had this idea, and it was so nuts that I went, ‘Yeah, great. It’ll cause just as much controversy, and everyone will talk about it and as many people that love it will hate it.’ But I’m not saying it hasn’t got the characters in it and won't have, you know. I'm just saying it's not what anyone could be imagining what it is," Vaughn teased.
"And I'm going to need one very, very brave actor or actress to play the new Kick-Ass because it will scare the shit out of them.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Does Kick-Ass really need a reboot? The first one was okay, but nothing to rub one out over.

Top Bottom