• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Key Supplier of Wafers for Chips Has Sold Out Through 2026

Kilau

Gold Member
Maybe it's time for someone to step in and go to the next one? Carbon wafers?

Silicon Is Reaching Its Limits. Up Next: Carbon Nanotubes​

images

Nanotubes, son.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You have to remember there is a period of lag, between a chip production and release to market. The 7nm gen is almost at an end for high end GPUs and CPUs.

I'm talking about the current situation. The chips that are being produced now to be released soon.
Ada Lovelace, Zen4 and RDNA3 are going to e released this year. So these products are close to tape out. Or maybe already in early production.

But you can be sure that 7nm has similar distributions of allocation.
Sure I don't doubt that I could be wrong in the future, however this thing is going for 2 years and during those 2 years there has been quite a lot of negative development for crypto miners. As you said things have inertia, so the improvement can be seen in future. However how big is it going to be is really up to stars.

One more point, from my perspective there has been more AXXX GPUs in the wild (more readily available) than RTX ones, which may point out to Samsung difficulties to cope with 3rd party demand. Since the affected TSMC is doing A line of the nVidia's processing unit. Still investment for RTX3090 GPU in pre-orders was likely my best investment.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So, why is there a supply shortage? I know it's a thing the last 2 years but people are still working and the materials are still on this Earth, so why is it a problem now? Did all of the people working on these just die? It seems like a reason for companies to claim 'shortages' and allow them to jack up prices. PROFIT!!

Umbasaborne

Banned
I dont think the ps5 or series x will ever be widely availible. There is too much money to be made by scum sucking shit festering scalpers, and the companies physically cannot keep up with the demand to combat them

synce

This is such a moot criticism, certainly those who are rich, does not mine at all, money are now mostly in dApps/web3 and ignoring how many people were buying IT product just to be able to keep themselves afloat in this pandemic have infinitely bigger impact than miners.

I hope that clear, that crypto challenges banks and stuff, probably down the line there would be push for some legislation in the west to prevent this. Nothing easier to make it out far bigger deal than it actually is. Besides you don't mine with your console, your phone, etc.

I wasn't ever aware of "manufacturing consent", but sure as hell I am now. And again the liberal politics, where the perpetrator is common joe, rather than someone with actual power is strong and well. I don't exactly understand that someone would look at near history events, they aftermath and said "yeah miners", especially when it's illegal in it's biggest bastion, China.
Crypto benefits literally no one but the guy mining. It's also not going to replace banks, as long as people are afraid to put their entire savings in an extremely volatile currency - in other words never.

That said, I blame consumers more than miners, because you can't have a shortage without demand, and people really think they need a new, slightly faster phone every 2 years, or a new 4K card for their 4K monitor, because life was so hard at 1080p.

M1chl

Crypto benefits literally no one but the guy mining. It's also not going to replace banks, as long as people are afraid to put their entire savings in an extremely volatile currency - in other words never.

That said, I blame consumers more than miners, because you can't have a shortage without demand, and people really think they need a new, slightly faster phone every 2 years, or a new 4K card for their 4K monitor, because life was so hard at 1080p.
So you are saying only way to get into crypto is mine?

winjer

Gold Member
Sure I don't doubt that I could be wrong in the future, however this thing is going for 2 years and during those 2 years there has been quite a lot of negative development for crypto miners. As you said things have inertia, so the improvement can be seen in future. However how big is it going to be is really up to stars.

One more point, from my perspective there has been more AXXX GPUs in the wild (more readily available) than RTX ones, which may point out to Samsung difficulties to cope with 3rd party demand. Since the affected TSMC is doing A line of the nVidia's processing unit. Still investment for RTX3090 GPU in pre-orders was likely my best investment.

Mining is very sensitive to power consumption. So Asics and GPUs made in process nodes that are more efficient, are preferable.
So a lot of RDNA2 in 7nm and Ampere in 8nm, were being bought up by miners.

In terms of availability, there are a lot more Ampere cards than RDNA2 cards. You can see that in the Steam user base.
There were Ampere cards entering the list, just a month or two after launch. It took many months to see any RDNA2 card in there.

The thing is AMD had to split it's allocation in TSMCs 7nm between it's CPUs and GPUs. And since CPUs are more profitable than GPUs, AMD put more production towards it's Zen3 parts.
Also consider that AMD is producing the SoC for the PS5 and Series S/X.
There were reports, at one point, that 80% of AMD's 7nm allocation, was being use just for the new consoles.

All this money being made and I continue to see things like "No expansion or plans in place to increase production in the future".

M1chl

Mining is very sensitive to power consumption. So Asics and GPUs made in process nodes that are more efficient, are preferable.
So a lot of RDNA2 in 7nm and Ampere in 8nm, were being bought up by miners.

In terms of availability, there are a lot more Ampere cards than RDNA2 cards. You can see that in the Steam user base.
There were Ampere cards entering the list, just a month or two after launch. It took many months to see any RDNA2 card in there.

The thing is AMD had to split it's allocation in TSMCs 7nm between it's CPUs and GPUs. And since CPUs are more profitable than GPUs, AMD put more production towards it's Zen3 parts.
Also consider that AMD is producing the SoC for the PS5 and Series S/X.
There were reports, at one point, that 80% of AMD's 7nm allocation, was being use just for the new consoles.
I well aware of the situation with power consumption, after all I mined myself...I guess mainly to recoup my investment to new HW (which I would then use for work). The thing is that since 5700XT the AMD cards, are not as profitable in mining as nVidia (it was different in Vega era) Link.

I think there is probably far more going on with GPU production, because CPU coins currently experienced boom like RTM, (not the metion XMR - coin of the dark web, which is harder to obtain from normal exchanges, due to being private/untraceable thus not really good fit for KYC exchanges, is only mineable through CPU) and CPUs are readily available (admittedly there is far more to GPU than CPU in number of components).

Thus overall the usage of GPUs, especially now when there is ETH moving to POS in near future, crypto drop and so on seems pretty overrated. Mining is banned in China (which was the biggest miner in the world). So if it is the cause for GPUs to not be available, it will improve soon, if not, well then there is far more to it.

winjer

Gold Member
I well aware of the situation with power consumption, after all I mined myself...I guess mainly to recoup my investment to new HW (which I would then use for work). The thing is that since 5700XT the AMD cards, are not as profitable in mining as nVidia (it was different in Vega era) Link.

I think there is probably far more going on with GPU production, because CPU coins currently experienced boom like RTM, (not the metion XMR - coin of the dark web, which is harder to obtain from normal exchanges, due to being private/untraceable thus not really good fit for KYC exchanges, is only mineable through CPU) and CPUs are readily available (admittedly there is far more to GPU than CPU in number of components).

Thus overall the usage of GPUs, especially now when there is ETH moving to POS in near future, crypto drop and so on seems pretty overrated. Mining is banned in China (which was the biggest miner in the world). So if it is the cause for GPUs to not be available, it will improve soon, if not, well then there is far more to it.

I have little knowledge about the inner works of the mining economies. I mostly know about hardware.
The move of mining to POS will help reduce pressure on GPUs. So I hope it comes sooner than later.
But like I said in a previous post, removing mining won't solve the chip scarcity issue. But it would improve availability and prices, simply because it's consuming a fair chunk of chip production, be it with ASICs or GPUs.

Half a year ago I bought a new motherboard for my PC. I went to a shop, and while I was talking with the owner I noticed a few RTX 3080s in a corner. And I asked about them.
The guy just said those boxes are empty, already sold out for mining. But if I wanted, he had plenty in the warehouse.
And asked me if I wanted to buy some, saying the price was 1500 euros. I explained I was just a gamer and he quickly changed subject.
Basically he had a good supply of RTX cards, but was saving them all to sell to miners at inflated prices.

NickFire

If this relates to PS5 /X chips, I think we need to accept a longer cross gen cycle is very likely, and mid gen refreshes won’t be happening. But on the positive side, it will be more reason than ever for cross platform releases.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bad news strikes again we are going to get consoles on store shelves and it will be beautiful.

Don't care, already have a xbox series x.
Really? selfish much? Seriously if you think this wont affect you in some way it will. If new consoles don't sell , new games won't be made as often, or more cross gen games. Most of us weren't priveldged to get a console or gpu. If you have one already it means good luck getting a replacement or waiting months for repairs if it breaks.

Say hello to overpriced cars as they all use these chips now. Say hello to only rich assholes being able to drive in the future. Say hello to asshole miners and scalpers buying everything up.
This is honestly the worst timeline.

Atrus

Gold Member
Time to ban crypto mining and reallocate resources to more practical sectors. Lift ban when supply chains have improved.

edit: what does this mean for consoles? Do they supply wafers for console makers?

Not too much.

This is to do with overall silicon wafer availability to the entire SC supply chain. For consoles on TSMC's 7nm process the limitation will be more process node availability, which will not be limited by wafer availability (at least at the moment).

For consoles, the bottleneck is availability of substrate and PCBs. This is a bigger issue and won't resolve until beyond 2023.

Mr Hyde

Already got a PS5, so I'm good suckers... I just have to turn it on and it's good to go, like clockwo... Wait! What's that flashing light. No ... No ... Please God! No! It's fucking broke! Boot up you fucking piece of shit!

Jumanji Movie GIF by Jumanji: The Next Level

lukilladog

TSMC was increasing their capacity with an inversion of 10 billion I think. By 2023/2024 we should be back to normal and Jen Hsun will start to show his face again.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm hugging my Series X.

I just bought one off eBay because the stock drops here in Australia are rarer than rocking horse shit. Left my Ps5 back in the UK.

Whether it gets to me or not is another thing, given how shitty AusPost is. Wouldn’t normally take the risk, but seems like the only way to get one right now.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Last edited:

SNG32

Mid gen refresh either much later or not at all then, this is going to be a long generation.
Honestly I think this is going to push cloud gaming even further. I'm sure this is an eye opener for sony and microsoft. I don't even think there will be mid gen upgrades because now both Sony and Microsoft can just release games on PC for better hardware and specs.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
This makes the absence of DLSS in the consoles hurt even more knowing this is going to be such a long gen. Really wish AMD had an answer for that loaded into RDNA when the systems launched. Can't really blame them though, I dont think anyone expected the quality and performance we've seen from these sort of systems.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I would, if it was something they would actually let you do.
Then again I just got my 3080ti less than two months ago so I'm all good for the foreseeable future.
Yeah I got my 3080 in Dec. I will probably upgrade when the 6080 comes out if that's possible. Wouldn't mind if EVGA started a que already...

ReBurn

Gold Member
I bet most of the manufacturers don't want to build more capacity because they're afraid they'll end up with too much and prices will fall. So we get screwed for their bottom lines.

Top Bottom