• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Feige interview, No Fantastic Four in MCU in the future

a916

I saw an idea for MCU F4 on Reddit about the team leaving into space in the 60s and returning unaged with their abilities in present day. I'd love to see that.

It'll be a group of 4 people that won a contest that Tony Stark sends up into space and they get powers. Tony Stark will also adopt two of them after he's unable to reconcile with Pepper Pots

Christian

F4 is one of my absolute favorite comic properties. Breaks my heart that they're stuck with FOX. What a disaster. If Marvel had the rights, their cinematic universe would probably be set for phases for the next 50+ years. :( So much stuff you could mine out of there.

DonShula

Ten years ago: Can you imagine if anyone cared about Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor?

(Seriously. They were D-listers compared to the X-Men and Spider-Man. There was a reason no one bought the movie rights from Marvel.)

This for sure. Once this phase concludes and the primary Avengers characters cool off or go dormant, F4 would be a prime candidate for revival.

Guardians came along with the appearance of a one-off (though that wasn't the case) starring a raccoon and a tree no one ever heard of, and it hit big. There are no deficiencies in the F4 source material that Marvel can't work around. I'm convinced the negativity is the result of a string of critical flops.

Christian

This for sure. Once this phase concludes and the primary Avengers characters cool off or go dormant, F4 would be a prime candidate for revival.

Guardians came along with the appearance of a one-off (though that wasn't the case) starring a raccoon and a tree no one ever heard of, and it hit big. There are no deficiencies in the F4 source material that Marvel can't work around. I'm convinced the negativity is the result of a string of critical flops.

The negativity also comes from not grasping what the FF is about. People see stretchy guy, invisible woman! and think lame powers! But it's not about the powers. It's about the exploration and wonder and family, and Reed being a little unhinged. If you only have a very basic understanding of the Fantastic Four, of course you wouldn't be terribly excited. It doesn't help that only a handful of writers really portrayed them effectively, too.

jstripes

Banned
The negativity also comes from not grasping what the FF is about. People see stretchy guy, invisible woman! and think lame powers! But it's not about the powers. It's about the exploration and wonder and family, and Reed being a little unhinged. If you only have a very basic understanding of the Fantastic Four, of course you wouldn't be terribly excited. It doesn't help that only a handful of writers really portrayed them effectively, too.

Is a good Fantastic Four movie even possible at this rate?

Give them Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon.

PixelatedBookake

It'll be a group of 4 people that won a contest that Tony Stark sends up into space and they get powers. Tony Stark will also adopt two of them after he's unable to reconcile with Pepper Pots

Does this happen before or after Tony Stark creates the Negative Zone?

So I guess that theory about the F4 being property of Marvel again has been proven wrong.
But yeah, after Spider-man collecting millions I think Fox will pick up the phone and be like "yo Feige, my dude, listen..."

Well, they should work on it. Fox has had one of the greatest comic book villains of all time and have dropped the ball three times.

i still believe

this is a feige feint

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Feige and Gunn said they don't have the rights. Denied them straight up and you still wanna believe they have it for whatever reason. Better to be pleasantly surprised if it's indeed a feint than to be disappointed in the more likely event that they are telling the truth.

El Topo

How the fuck are they gonna do an interview/ article and not know fox doesn't own fantastic four ? For fucks sake do some fucking research.

It really doesn't matter, because for all intents and purposes Fox runs the thing. Constantin, from what I can tell, is not really actively involved.

But I was told that Marvel regained the rights in order for Fox to make X-Men TV shows!

If an article about the FF rights and their spectacular return to Marvel doesn't mention Constantin (Film) at any point, chances are the writer is bullshitting you.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Tanking the franchise with each release.

They're fucking nailing that shit.

TBH, that's about all you can really do with the FF. They're just not an interesting team.

Maybe make a horror storyesque one about Franklin Richards and Nathaniel Richards abducting him or something that minimizes the focus on how dull the FF actually is or something...

Magwik

Banned
Just had a thread about Marvel Snipers and yet y'all believe Feige would just spill the deets in some interview?

BobLoblaw

Banned
Hopefully after IW comes out and they start killing people off, enough time will have passed so that they can get the F4, Doom, etc. and reboot the MCU.

Epcott

If MCU doesn't get Fantastic 4, I hope Fox reintroduces them in an X-Men movie Days of Future Present (with some of their New Mutants cast).

If MCU does get F4, I hope they give them a rest for a while, but use the villains and Surfer. And damnit, if they do use them, get Brad Bird... he is a Pixar/Disney man after all.

I was always under the impression that if Fox didn't use the property in a certain number of years, rights would go back to Marvel (ala Daredevil).

NMFried

I wanted Fantastic Four so we could have a wacky space family movie in the MCU. Then I saw Guardians Vol. 2 and that itch is scratched.

Now I just want Surfer and Doom.

NMFried

I saw an idea for MCU F4 on Reddit about the team leaving into space in the 60s and returning unaged with their abilities in present day. I'd love to see that.

This is like... really good. Maybe they were lost in the Negative Zone?

Maybe in IW Part 2 that's where they imprison Thanos.

yfw IW Part 2 is called Avengers: Into The Negative Zone.

This is like... really good. Maybe they were lost in the Negative Zone?

Maybe in IW Part 2 that's where they imprison Thanos.

yfw IW Part 2 is called Avengers: Into The Negative Zone.

I mean not really thats the idea everyone goes too. I dont even see the point really.

Someone here in Gaf said that the MCU already has the rights to Doom.

If that was true then he just became the best Iron Man villain there is

"Curse you, Richa-- err STARK!"

I wonder if FOX handed something to Marvel, there must have be some kind of agreement/trade to make Legion, Gifted and Deadpool animated series happen.

He didn't tell us they had Spider-Man before they did their big reveal, did he? Not saying they have the rights but if they did he wouldn't admit it.

They've been relegated to TV.
Ronan and Korath were in Guardians of the Galaxy, specifically representing the Kree (though a very fanatical sect of them).

Also, IIRC official concept art for Captain Marvel shows her fighting Kree sentries.

They aren't relegated to TV, they just haven't been shoehorned into a movie they don't belong in. The only movies they really fit in so far were the Guardians films, of which Kree have played a part in.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Avengers: Doom - introducing the F4.
Mark my words.

how was spidey revealed?

Unofficial reveal was the Sony hack. Showed the e-mails between Pascal (I believe) and Marvel, though IIRC the talks had broken down at the point the hack happened, but it showed that the talks happened and had gotten decently far along. Official reveal was a press release a few months after that.

Here's the thread about the part from the hack, and that the talks had gotten to the point of getting Hirai and Iger involved.

Edit: As a bonus, also from the Sony hack: Ike Permutter shitting on the idea of female led superhero movies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Unofficial reveal was the Sony hack. Showed the e-mails between Pascal (I believe) and Marvel, though IIRC the talks had broken down at the point the hack happened, but it showed that the talks happened and had gotten decently far along. Official reveal was a press release a few months after that.

Here's the thread about the part from the hack, and that the talks had gotten to the point of getting Hirai and Iger involved.

Edit: As a bonus, also from the Sony hack: Ike Permutter shitting on the idea of female led superhero movies.

ah yes i remember all of this

so glad we are living in a post ike world
Tessa-Thompson-as-Valkyrie-in-Thor-Ragnarok.jpg

Sulik2

Does Fox own F4 in perpetuity? Or is it like the Daredevil deal where they have to make a movie every X number of year or they lose the rights?

Are you asking if the 2022 reboot will be good this time?

Every 7 years I believe

Ahh thanks. The hope would be that after rushing together the last one and losing boatloads of cash, they might be gun shy to rush againt and just not be able to get a movie together in time and lose the rights. The same thing that happened with Daredevil.

El Topo

Does Fox own F4 in perpetuity? Or is it like the Daredevil deal where they have to make a movie every X number of year or they lose the rights?

Constantin loses the movie rights if they don't make a movie every 10* years.
*The number is from a Vice article regarding Bernd Eichinger's deal and the Roger Corman FF movie.

Top Bottom