• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ketogenic Diet and its effect on mental health

So i have been experimenting with this diet for about a week.

Takes at least 1 day to get into ketosis.

I lose about 0.5-0.8 kg a day but you cant binge on sweet stuff or you lose a lot of that work.

Anyway to the meat and potatoes of this thread. I suffer from Schizoaffective Disorder and Depression. And it notice it is greatly affecting my mental health in a positive way. My meds seem to be a bit too effective in controlling my bipolar such that i cant feel almost no high or low. Depression is non existent with relatively weak meds.

But there seems to be science to back this up.

The most recent Cochrane review and meta-analysis demonstrated symptom improvement in most epileptic patients, with as many as 55% in one study experiencing competeseizure freedom [6,7]. Cerebral glucose hypometabolism is a feature shared by mental illnesses, including schizophrenia, BPD and MDD [8& ]. Recent postmortem analyses of schizophrenia brains by Sullivan et al. [9] report 19–22% decreases in the expression of the glucose transporters, GLUT1 and GLUT3, and in glycolytic genes. Interestingly, these brains also exhibited a 22% increase in the bhydroxybutyrate (bH) importer (MCT1), suggesting that the brain may be attempting to compensate for glucose hypometabolism by upregulating its capacity to import ketone bodies. Thus, the schizophrenia brain may be metabolically primed to respond to ketogenic diet therapy

2012: A case study of two women with bipolar II disorder who ate a ketogenic diet (one for two years, the other for three years) found that the diet was superior to the anticonvulsant/mood stabilizer lamotrigine (Lamictal) in management of symptoms. Ketosis was documented using urine test strips.

Ketogenic Diets and Schizophrenia​

A 3-week mouse study showed that a ketogenic diet normalized pathological behaviors.

DcUxEut.jpg

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
It's crazy how food affects your overall health, I pretty much eliminated all grains from my diet, and I feel much better and less bloated. I'm almost done with eliminating everything processed, just sticking to meat and what grows from the ground. It's so fucking hard.

It's crazy how food affects your overall health, I pretty much eliminated all grains from my diet, and I feel much better and less bloated. I'm almost done with eliminating everything processed, just sticking to meat and what grows from the ground. It's so fucking hard.

Two channels i recommend for food on a keto diet is:

headbangers kitchen, look for keto recipes

Heavenly Fan(its vegan keto)

Apparently this is a really good recipe:

KiNeMz

Banned
Endorse this thread.

eddie4 said:

I think its crazy that we don't think that Diet has anything to do with mental health.

When i am being strict carnivore my mental state is at its optimal.

I wake up energized, I suffer no fatigue throughout the day, I am purely focused on the tasks at hand, I'm happy, Im clear, I speak better, I dont forget things.

Then I slip up and have a bowl of pasta one night.

I wake up almost hungover. Lethargic. Don't want to get out bed. Slow. Headache.

Its quite fascinating.

Kenpachii

Pretty fucking unhealthy to lose that weight in a single day mate. I would not advice to lose more weight then 1-2 kilo a week. Unless u wanna have flappy skin.

Pretty fucking unhealthy to lose that weight in a single day mate. I would not advice to lose more weight then 1-2 kilo a week. Unless u wanna have flappy skin.

You actually lose more on the Fast 800 diet. But that isnt sustainable i think. I dont think you get flappy skin from losing 3 kilos a week.

99Luffy

Banned
You might also wanna read about how low insulin levels may be the key to longer life, at least in rats..

Now heres the issue, scientists dont seem to know what tf theyre talking about. We know high carbs can eventually lead to insulin resistance. Now keto supposedly can also lead to insulin resistance.

Ive been on keto(<20g carbs) for a couple months and its great but I think maybe after summer I'll move to a lower carb ~50g carbs diet.

Last edited:
You might also wanna read about how low insulin levels may be the key to longer life, at least in rats..

Now heres the issue, scientists dont seem to know what tf theyre talking about. We know high carbs can eventually lead to insulin resistance. Now keto supposedly can also lead to insulin resistance.

Ive been on keto(<20g carbs) for a couple months and its great but I think maybe after summer I'll move to a lower carb ~50g carbs diet.
The new study helps plug some of this knowledge gap. It suggests that insulin resistance in the liver can develop in the early stages of keto diets. This now needs to be confirmed in humans.

Also, the underlying mechanisms that lead to insulin resistance are still unclear, especially in relation to different diets. This also needs to be explored further, say the researchers.

Early stages of keto diets dont have ketosis triggered yet. So more energy is in your system so that isnt surprising. However from that quote i dont know if that is continued onwards. Secondly mouse =/= human. For example leptins are really bad for you but it is really good for mice.

lachesis

I was on keto for a while and did pretty well for a couple of months. Only thing really bothered me was I felt rather hazy and somewhat sleepy throughout.
I thought such side effects usually goes away in about a month or so, but it lasted me pretty well over 2 months - and I did really count my carb intake pretty well too.
(and lost some pounds)

I did ease back to the regular diet. Still tend to shy from regular carb whenever possible though. Perhaps I would start it again.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
As someone who has a meticulous eating plan and has been playing around with different foods and diets in the past years I can only echo that what you put into your mouth not only effects your weight but also your mood, mental health, charisma, etc.

I mean, to me that makes absolute sense. Foods are the building blocks of our body and your cells are constantly regenerating themselves. So the more quality building blocks you provide to your body, the better the regeneration process will be.

That being said, I don‘t believe any specific diets bring special benefits. For the past months my mantra has been: Cut the sugar and eat everything that is healthy. And I mean everything. Over a couple of weeks I actually walked through my super market and checked out every single thing they had to offer and then searched the net for the health benefits of said food. If it had some I made sure to put it into my meal plan somewhere.

There are professionals out there who still say stuff like "the brain NEEDS carbohydrates or it will die" whenever they're talking about keto. I know it's not for everyone but keto is the real deal. It "healed" my friend's diabetes. It's great for weight loss. And some people, like OP, have additional positive effects. Everyone should at least try it for a month or so.

betrayal

Banned
There are now many studies that show that ketogenic diets have a positive influence on mental health. This is generally not surprising, since a ketogenic diet also has many intersections with a generally healthy diet. It is also known that carbohydrates promote inflammation (which is not bad per se) and that the hormone balance and many other substances that change behavior and mood are released in different proportions. Only the connections, but unfortunately also the most important point, are unclear.

For healthy people, however, there is no reason to avoid carbohydrates, as they also lead to the release of many chemical transmitters, which have a very positive effect on our hormone balance. In addition, they have many other health benefits, which affect not only psychologically.

Ultimately, a balance should always be maintained. Of course, nowadays this is hardly possible for the vast majority of people or is becoming increasingly difficult, although nutrition is probably by far the most important factor for our health and performance. Unfortunately, everything is obscured and complicated these days, just so that companies can make money. Hundreds of diets, supplements, "superfoods" (which is just a marketing name) and much more, all bullshit. You do everything right if you primarily eat unprocessed food and cook most of it yourself. You don't have to be talented or smart to do that - but you can't be lazy either.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

Much of the initial weight loss is mostly water weight. It becomes more sustainable and slower weight loss over time. Roughly 2 to 3 lbs a week.

Recently started Keto, but have plenty of friends who went through it so I saw from them and their respective weight loss journeys. The only one who had loose skin was the one who was the most overweight (350+ lbs) and even then it was minor compared to what I have seen other diets/exercise routines go through.

OT: On day 5 now and I only had one incident where I accidentally had 8 more grams of carbs. Wake up easier already and my Ulcerative Colitis is barely an issue.

Keep up the excellent work y’all.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
There are professionals out there who still say stuff like "the brain NEEDS carbohydrates or it will die" whenever they're talking about keto. I know it's not for everyone but keto is the real deal. It "healed" my friend's diabetes. It's great for weight loss. And some people, like OP, have additional positive effects. Everyone should at least try it for a month or so.
I assume this was because he cut out the sugar. There is no logical reason whatsoever to avoid healthy carbs like potatoes, oats etc.

Last edited:
I assume this was because he cut out the sugar. There is no logical reason whatsoever to avoid healthy carbs like potatoes, oats etc.

I think keto goes to a diet that is more in line with that our ancestors ate before farming and cooking. Stuff like potatoes wouldnt have been eaten because they werent visible because they were underground. Uncooked seeds would also not be eaten because of the taste and hardness of them uncooked. Though that is something I am only guessing at.

I wouldn't mind trying to go keto for a bit, but I don't cook, and don't want to cook. So as I'm starting a renewed weight loss push I'm just going to drop all the obvious lolsugars (RIP cherry slushes w/ nerds from Sonic) try to cut a few carbs where I can, and work in some salads (which I kind of hate but at least they're somewhat readily available to the likes of me). And exercise bike time. I foresee a lot of exercise bike time.

DavidGzz

Yeah, then you have the countries who's people are the healthiest and live the longest on high carb diets. High carb for life. Glad you feel better though, OP.

I think keto goes to a diet that is more in line with that our ancestors ate before farming and cooking. Stuff like potatoes wouldnt have been eaten because they werent visible because they were underground. Uncooked seeds would also not be eaten because of the taste and hardness of them uncooked. Though that is something I am only guessing at.

No it isn't. I can't remember where I read about it but grains were a huge part of our ancestors diets. Carbs are the body's preferred energy source.

Found one source: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2689923/

"Abstract​

Over the millennia various hominoids and hominids have subsisted on very different dietaries, depending on climate, hunting proficiency, food-processing technology, and available foods. The Australopithecines were not browsers and fruit-eaters with very high intakes of vitamin C; rather they were scavengers of kills made by other animals. The hominids who followed did include some cold-climate hunters of large game, but the amount of animal protein decreased with the advent of grain-gathering and decreased further with the introduction of cereal agriculture, with a concomitant decrease in body size. From what we know about food adequacy, preparation, and storage, the notion that the postulated "primitive" diet was generally adequate, safe, and prudent can be rejected. Over evolutionary time, many of our ancestors ate poorly, especially during climate extremes, and they were often at risk for vitamin deficiencies, food-borne diseases, and neurotoxins. Until the advent of modern processing technologies, dirt, grit, and fiber constituted a large part of most early diets."

I've done keto, it's really good if you ask me. Sugar is evil.

Now I merely go lowcarb.

Yeah no, it's in fruit, so wrong.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Much of the initial weight loss is mostly water weight. It becomes more sustainable and slower weight loss over time. Roughly 2 to 3 lbs a week.

Recently started Keto, but have plenty of friends who went through it so I saw from them and their respective weight loss journeys. The only one who had loose skin was the one who was the most overweight (350+ lbs) and even then it was minor compared to what I have seen other diets/exercise routines go through.

OT: On day 5 now and I only had one incident where I accidentally had 8 more grams of carbs. Wake up easier already and my Ulcerative Colitis is barely an issue.

Been on Keto for 8+ years. no issues, no hair loss, healthy cholesterol levels. Heartburn went away forever. Dandruff went away. I could list more. Just remember that it’s not a high protein diet, it is a high fat, moderate protein, very low carb diet. Do it long enough and it becomes a lifestyle that is easily maintained.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah, I read a book about keto that was claiming the same thing. However, when you think about it , it doesn't make sense to assume our ancestors mostly ate meat, simply because it's very hard to keep from rotting away. Not to mention that it's not that easy to get game all the time. And both keeping livestock and the ability to preserve meat didn't come until quite late in human history.

What does make sense is that early humans ate a lot of fruits and berries as well as fish (hence why most settlements were around water). I really doubt our ancestors main source of food was animal meat.

Kenpachii

Yea that's healthy. I saw tons of people that where severe overweight at my gym and started losing weight rapidly all regretted it hard at the end.

The absolute worst ones are the ones with gastric bypass, everybody compliments them when they start losing weight rapidly but what happens when they are at home after 6 months? they lift up there shirt and its fucking skin city.

Yea that's healthy. I saw tons of people that where severe overweight at my gym and started losing weight rapidly all regretted it hard at the end.

The absolute worst ones are the ones with gastric bypass, everybody compliments them when they start losing weight rapidly but what happens when they are at home after 6 months? they lift up there shirt and its fucking skin city.

Are you more concerned about loose skin or being healthy?

DavidGzz

Is it keto that is leading to weight loss, or is it that individuals are micromanaging their diet as a consequence of trying to adhere to the strict guidelines of eating keto and thus are more cognizant of their food intake?

Bingo, we have a winner. Correlation doesn't equal causation. I am a flexible dieter. I eat plenty of so called junk along with my healthy meals and high protein diet. My blood work showed all my parameters in the healthy range. Also, Gary Haub, a nutirtion professor followed a vending machine diet, lost 27 pounds of fat and dramatically improved his health. Look him up on youtube. Losing unhealthy fat will improve your health dramatically, now matter how it's done to a point. You should definitely get your vitamins, fats, and protein for long term health, just saying.

TTOOLL

Just eat real food and you’ll see the difference in your body, the name of the diet doesn’t matter. Positive calorie intake will make you gain weight, negative you make you lose weight.

That’s about it without thinking too much about specific diseases such as diabetes, celiac etc.

KiNeMz

Banned
Yeah, I read a book about keto that was claiming the same thing. However, when you think about it , it doesn't make sense to assume our ancestors mostly ate meat, simply because it's very hard to keep from rotting away. Not to mention that it's not that easy to get game all the time. And both keeping livestock and the ability to preserve meat didn't come until quite late in human history.

What does make sense is that early humans ate a lot of fruits and berries as well as fish (hence why most settlements were around water). I really doubt our ancestors main source of food was animal meat.
You could argue that fruits and berries were in between survival food. When there was a kill they could eat high amounts of meat and then fast for long periods. Is it not true that we have similar stomach acidity levels to scavenger animals?

DavidGzz

For somebody who is morbidly obese, there really is no such thing as losing the weight too quickly in regard to their overall health.

Yep, to a certain point at least. Also, your largest size and how long you were there for will determine how much loose skin you have. This whole losing slowly to avoid it, isn't a thing. The damage was done before any fat loss occurred.

VN1X

Banned
This seems like something I'd like to try.

I've read up on some of it now but can I just go and look up any Ketogenic recipes and start?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This seems like something I'd like to try.

I've read up on some of it now but can I just go and look up any Ketogenic recipes and start?

Yeah, there's no risk involved in eliminating carbs unless you are taking insulin to treat type ii diabetes or something.

When I first started going low carb back in 2011 (my posts back are still somewhere on this board!) resources were somewhat limited and most people were skeptical, but now it seems to have become mainstream. I've seen tons of friends and coworkers get healthy by going low carb, although many of them dropped it and put back on the weight, but such is life for some.

My personal recommendation is to start by simply changing what you eat rather than trying to find low-carb versions of the typically carb-heavy foods you might like (such as pizza, etc.).

This makes no sense.

U should always be concerned about both

You should definitely be more concerned about dealing with the overweight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenpachii

This makes no sense.

For somebody who is morbidly obese, there really is no such thing as losing the weight too quickly in regard to their overall health.

Yeah, there's no risk involved in eliminating carbs unless you are taking insulin to treat type ii diabetes or something.

When I first started going low carb back in 2011 (my posts back are still somewhere on this board!) resources were somewhat limited and most people were skeptical, but now it seems to have become mainstream. I've seen tons of friends and coworkers get healthy by going low carb, although many of them dropped it and put back on the weight, but such is life for some.

My personal recommendation is to start by simply changing what you eat rather than trying to find low-carb versions of the typically carb-heavy foods you might like (such as pizza, etc.).

You should definitely be more concerned about dealing with the overweight.

There is no more important. U lose weight based on how your skin reacts if you are morbid obese or heavy overweight and i would even suggest it for people that are simple overweight even they can have issue's with lose skin even if it doesn't show up much when they stand up straight.

((((( THESE ARE EXAMPLES ))))

This is the result if u do exactly what i say to give you a idea.

main-qimg-cc46c9286986e1fe0a510f6357d0f36f

Progress 1,5-2 years.

Took it slow, probably doesn't even diet anymore as he just changed his entire way of life which keeps him in shape as his body is used towards it at this point anyway.

In short success.

Here's a donkey that went full retard on the weight loss

Lost weight drastically and focuses on nothing else with a quick extreme diet probably 6-9 month process for maximum weight loss.

main-qimg-6aace39881cfbfe8b8863f319cec79e3.webp

zero muscles trained, probably only did running or biking.

But hey everybody was happy for the guy, because he was so inspiring. and now he stands there looking like a disformed alien i bet he's super happy with his new body.

He looks at the other guy, thinks fuck i need to train muscles. Yea guess what, its fucking useless now.

This is why i hate shit like this with a passion.

weightlosstvshows-bigfattruth-1506731893.jpg

I also hate the word diet entirely. U don't want to diet. U want to change your lifestyle and keep going for the rest of your life its time to grow up and stop slamming your face full of candy like a little kid.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I went keto for about 3 months a few years ago. It did help me blast the fat off, but I never felt good the entire time. I was on 20 or less carbs. My dad has done it and low carb for a few years and it's really helped him out.

It's funny to me people talk about keto and natural foods and then they share recipes like "mix this powder with that powder and add a little bit of this extract and just a drop of this sweetener derived from natural sugar." Who you fooling? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I wasnt talking about preserving meat and killing live stock. I was talking killing animals in groups. Deers, tigers even elephants etc. A spear(sharp stick) would be one of the very first tools used by man.

bigsnack

Now show the before pic of this guy.
hahaha exactly! I think if I had to pick I'd rather look like this.

I've been low carb almost as long as you Zefah, since December of 2012. It was absolutely one of the greatest decisions I've ever made in my life. It eliminated random aches / pains that I had, gave me more consistent energy throughout the day, got rid of my adult acne completely (citrus and chocolate were the actual culprits), etc. I've gotten lazier about it as the years have past, especially now that I have two younger kids. That being said, even just by eliminating processed sugar you are leaps beyond most people. I'm still disciplined with some things: I only drink water, and I literally never eat pasta or rice cause they give me terrible heartburn now.

Bingo, we have a winner. Correlation doesn't equal causation. I am a flexible dieter. I eat plenty of so called junk along with my healthy meals and high protein diet. My blood work showed all my parameters in the healthy range. Also, Gary Haub, a nutirtion professor followed a vending machine diet, lost 27 pounds of fat and dramatically improved his health. Look him up on youtube. Losing unhealthy fat will improve your health dramatically, now matter how it's done to a point. You should definitely get your vitamins, fats, and protein for long term health, just saying.

But you don't get the neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory benefits of keto when you eat junk food.

Obviously there is an energy balance going on, but keto has other effects far beyond the weight control.

I went keto for about 3 months a few years ago. It did help me blast the fat off, but I never felt good the entire time. I was on 20 or less carbs. My dad has done it and low carb for a few years and it's really helped him out.

It's funny to me people talk about keto and natural foods and then they share recipes like "mix this powder with that powder and add a little bit of this extract and just a drop of this sweetener derived from natural sugar." Who you fooling? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

IDK, I just eat steak and bacon and eggs and geeen vegetables, for the most part. Sure, if you want to bake you have to use nut flours and erythritol or similar sweeteners, but it's not like that is any different than "normal" cooking. The oddest thing I eat regularly as a component is xanthum gum, which I use as a thickener, but it's no more bizarre than flour. Flour is no more natural than the cell wall fibers of a random bacteria, just like cheese and stuff is not natural. Hell, no modern fruits and vegetables are natural, if you get anal about the definition, because centuries of selection made them bigger, sweeter, more palatable. Corn is not natural, carrots aren't natural, none of the cruciferous cultivars are.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Yeah keto def cleared my head right up

Some mental fog while slipping into ketosis, but when I was in the full swing of things I felt more stabilized and better than ever

If you have any chronic health condition (especially any "syndrome" like IBS, ulcerative colitis, etc.), are overweight, have type 2 diabetes or just any food intolerances, this guy is a great watch. I can't stand standard allopathic medicine (generally speaking) with its dogma and arrogance and the way it attempts to break down human health piecemeal rather than looking at things holistically - as an integrated/interrelated set of systems at work - and this guy is a doctor, but he's a doctor that stepped outside that paradigm in the search for real knowledge about human health.

BigBooper

If you have any chronic health condition (especially any "syndrome" like IBS, ulcerative colitis, etc.), are overweight, have type 2 diabetes or just any food intolerances, this guy is a great watch. I can't stand standard allopathic medicine (generally speaking) with its dogma and arrogance and the way it attempts to break down human health piecemeal rather than looking at things holistically - as an integrated/interrelated set of systems at work - and this guy is a doctor, but he's a doctor that stepped outside that paradigm in the search for real knowledge about human health.

Search for Medical Doctor, license 35476 if you'd like to know a little about him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom