• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky family court judge will not hear adoptions involving gays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deny me equal protection under the law if old

LOUISVILLE --- A family court judge who sits in Barren and Metcalfe counties has announced he will no longer hear adoption cases involving “homosexual parties” because he believes allowing a gay person to adopt could never be in the child's best interest.

Judge W. Mitchell Nance, who begins court each day by requiring everyone to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, said in an order this week that he would recuse himself from all adoptions involving gay people.

Nance cited a judicial ethics rule that says a judge must disqualify himself when he has a personal bias or prejudice.

He said in the order issued Thursday that “as a matter of conscience” he believes that “under no circumstance” would “the best interest of the child be promoted by the adoption by a practicing homosexual." Kentucky state law allows gay couples to adopt, and the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2015 that all states must permit same-sex marriage.

Lawyers say Nance is highly religious and opposed to divorce.

Even in uncontested divorces involving no children, he makes the parties appear in court, offers them condolences on the demise of their marriage and makes them explain why it didn’t work out.

Attorneys say he also asked divorce litigants where they go to church and whether they are a true believer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...cause-its-not-childs-best-interest/307679001/

Kim Davis is not alone in Kentuckyana.

So I guess no parents are better than two? Okay.

Even the divorce thing smh...

EDIT: somehow missed the first part. Glad he won't be hearing any more cases on the matter.

eosos

Banned
I mean. Isn't this kinda good? Rather have him just not be a factor at all instead of denying people the right to adopt.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like if your faith clouds your judgement that much, you probably shouldn't be in that position in the first place because you aren't going to be able to make unbiased rulings. This is a step in the right direction but it's still going to impact other cases going forward I bet.

Of course these people can just hop to another branch of government if the judicial doesn't work out. Look out for Roy fucking Moore coming to a US Senate near you.

Two Words

By that logic, you shouldn't let somebody adopt if they're a loser that can't find a significant other of the opposite sex.

Eh honestly some of the other stuff he does when he actually presides over cases probably bothers me more

A prejudiced judge stating they are prejudiced and recusing themselves from any such case is sadly probably the best outcome for the parents in those cases.

Personal belief is shitty but legal approach taken seems appropriate I think?

SGRX

Better that he recuse himself than unfairly dismiss a case due to his prejudices, I suppose, but the fact that he can't see past the label of sexual orientation calls into question whether he possesses the objectivity to be a judge in the first place.

Also, while I suppose it's more common in red states like Kentucky to inquire about someone's faith, I have literally never been asked where I go to church, and while the question would irritate me in casual conversation, it seems pretty out of line to bring it up during a divorce hearing.

Well, at least their recusing themselves from the case, rather than just ruling "no" everytime...

We still have a judge who ignores evidence based facts and state/Federal law because of his religion. There's no way I'd want this guy on my case, gay or straight.

TheOGB

Banned
That's right, no "practicing homosexual" would make a good parent. You better be an experienced or professional homosexual, goddammit.

ICO_SotC

Attorneys say he also asked divorce litigants where they go to church and whether they are a true believer.

That's crazy, and should not happen. What, if you're not a true believer and your spouse is (or lies and says they are), they get the kids?

GYODX

So he recognizes that he is biased and chooses to recuse himself rather than let his personal beliefs cloud his judgement on any particular case. What is the problem here? A lot of deeply religious people can not reconcile their faith with tolerance towards gay people. Religion and religious people are not going away. The best we can hope for is that they are as out of the way as possible, as this judge is doing.

linkboy

I mean. Isn't this kinda good? Rather have him just not be a factor at all instead of denying people the right to adopt.

No, if he can't separate his personal beliefs from his job, then he shouldn't be a judge.

What if he's the only judge available to hear a case that goes against his beliefs.

The law overrides his beliefs 100% of the time.

So he recognizes that he is biased and chooses to recuse himself rather than let his personal beliefs cloud his judgement on any particular case. What is the problem here? A lot of deeply religious people can not reconcile their faith with tolerance towards gay people. Religion and religious people are not going away. The best we hope for is that they are as out of the way as possible, as this judge is doing.

Gay couple has a court date and this judge is the only available. They're not going to get a fair trial if he hears the case and it's not fair for them if their case has to be rescheduled because the judge can't do the job that he was sworn in to do (uphold the laws and Constitution of the United States).

Piano

Banned
No, if he can't separate his personal beliefs from his job, then he shouldn't be a judge.

What if he's the only judge available to hear a case that goes against his beliefs.

It's my understanding that in these sorts of cases often it's on the judge to decide what is in the best interest of the child, giving him a lot of leeway. He doesn't think he can be impartial in those circumstances, so he's recusing himself.

Do I agree with his opinions? Of course not. But given that he has them it's better that he avoid relevant cases rather than rule with bias.

linkboy

It's my understanding that in these sorts of cases often it's on the judge to decide what is in the best interest of the child, giving him a lot of leeway. He doesn't think he can be impartial in those circumstances, so he's recusing himself.

Do I agree with his opinions? Of course not. But given that he has them it's better that he avoid relevant cases rather than rule with bias.

Then he shouldn't be a judge.

If he can't be impartial making a ruling, then he shouldn't be doing the job.

Ishan

I mean if he recuses himself it's within his right ? As long as he doesn't impede and allows other judges to rule ?

Here's the deal: people can be bigots. We'd rather them not be bigots, but that's idealistic tripe.

However, when someone realizes they're a bigot comparatively and steps aside instead of getting in the way and forcing bigotry down peoples' throats, that's a win.

A lot of this bigotry is deep seated in the extreme and any budging is a fucking miracle.

In fact, forcing him out as judge in Kentucky may mean you'll get someone who won't recuse themselves and be just as, if not moreso, bigoted.

Baby steps, little wins. Progress is made.

caliph95

I mean he is still homophobic but he at least recuse himself, not great and won't have his beliefs challenge but at least the potential parents gets a fair hand

Piano

Banned
Then he shouldn't be a judge.

If he can't be impartial making a ruling, then he shouldn't be doing the job.

Nobody is truly impartial, though. And he's aware that his viewpoints make him especially bad at it in this instance, so he's stepping aside.

Here's the deal: people can be bigots. We'd rather them not be bigots, but that's idealistic tripe.

However, when someone realizes they're a bigot comparatively and steps aside instead of getting in the way and forcing bigotry down peoples' throats, that's a win.

A lot of this bigotry is deep seated in the extreme and any budging is a fucking miracle.

In fact, forcing him out as judge in Kentucky may mean you'll get someone who won't recuse themselves and be just as, if not moreso, bigoted.

Baby steps, little wins. Progress is made.

^^ Also, this.

GYODX

Gay couple has a court date and this judge is the only available. They're not going to get a fair trial if he hears the case and it's not fair for them if their case has to be rescheduled because the judge can't do the job that he was sworn in to do (uphold the laws and Constitution of the United States).
This is different from, say, a county clerk refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples. I don't claim to understand the adoption process very well, but I assume that each particular hearing is more than a glorified rubber-stamping. The judge has to rule based on the circumstances of each particular case.

The alternative is that he intellectually justify to himself any myriad of reasons not to grant them the adoption even though the real reason may be that he's a homophobe, which is all perfectly legal albeit highly unethical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom