• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KENA Bridge of Spirits is Amazing (PS5)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
It's a great game, but be warned lol.....normal difficulty is more like ultra hard. Combat is no joke on normal, and (i'd argue) quite cheap at times especially the bosses.

Last edited:
My gf and I played it on normal, and while some bosses were challenging, even my gf beat one of the last bosses on her own and she’s not very good at games. I enjoyed the challenge of the game and am looking forward to a play through on a harder difficulty. I guess it also helps that I just came off a play through of bloodborne.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
its dirt cheap on epic store with that coupon thing. I believe its like 20$ or something like that.

one of the perks of being a PC gamer I guess. lol
Does the PC version have DLSS? I am wondering if my 2080 will run it better on PC than my PS5.

the game was great, some of the bosses had some insane difficulty spikes but I eventually overcame them. The biggest issue for me was the odd timing on the parry window... there was like a weird animation that made it hard to time. Really looking forward to some tweaked combat in the next game. Will purchase day 1. Great first attempt at a game and everything about it was top notch.

//DEVIL//

Does the PC version have DLSS? I am wondering if my 2080 will run it better on PC than my PS5.
It’s been a while since I played it but I don’t think it does last time I played it ( didn’t finish the game )

But your 2080 is more powerful than ps5 anyway. You can adjust some unnecessary settings to even get a locked 60 frames

I dunno but to me if the game I want is multi platform I buy it on pc no question asked even if the pc is less powerful than ps5 .

For few reasons too
- cheaper
- compatibility for future upgrades
- will perform better in the future when you upgrade your card or mods etc

Graphically it looks amazing, the gameplay is like a very polished PS2-era action adventure platformer, and the story is pretty good. Overall a solid 8/10. If Sony's gonna buy some more studios, Ember Lab better be on the top of the list.

Edit: I held out waiting for a physical edition, which is what I'll do for Call of the Sea too when it releases physically for PS5 next year.
Same, I waited for the PS5 copy that looks great on my shelf. I've been playing my first playthrough on hard. The bosses are very difficult!

Hestar69

I've only beaten the first two bosses but the game so far is amazing.. If sony doesn't buy them xbox should because they deff have talent at that studio.

I've only beaten the first two bosses but the game so far is amazing.. If sony doesn't buy them xbox should because they deff have talent at that studio.
Max Greenfield Car GIF by CBS

chinoXL

It's a great game, but be warned lol.....normal difficulty is more like ultra hard. Combat is no joke on normal, and (i'd argue) quite cheap at times especially the bosses.
lol some of the bosses almost made me stop playing the game but i had fun giving them the business once i figured them out lol i played on normal like you did

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s a beautiful game, but it’s not really pushing the envelope anywhere. Hopefully Sony will give this studio another go and bet on them to improve greatly, the potential is there.

Ok based on the responses in this thread here’s some tips, because I found the game challenging but not unfairly difficult.

1. Abuse running R2, you have to unlock this but it really helps.

2. Abuse Hammer. The game should be called KENA: Hammer Time because the rot hammer is ridiculously powerful. The time slow will also effect enemies so you’ll be able to sneak it in more often then you think. Just be cautious with the wind up, you have to hold R2 for a beat before hitting square.

A good tactic is to run up with a heavy attack and follow with hammer while they are staggered.

3. Similar to bloodborne you want to be switching between being locked on and just freely targeting enemies. Things can get hectic with tons of enemies on the screen. Have a plan of attack for large groups. I like to deal with flyers first, then wipe out small guys and leave the big guys for last.

4. Slow mo arrows is a life saver. A fully charged arrow will kill flying enemies in 1 hit. And many enemies have yellow crystals or weak points on them that can be targeted. But what’s cool about bow is that it gets a kind of natural slow down if you draw it while jumping. When you unlock slow mo it like stacks with the slow mo you get from jumping and gives you TONS of time to line up shots.

5. Late game once you have the dash, you can use it to ram into enemies and do an attack, this will almost always cause a stagger which you can follow up with Hammer Time if you have a charge, or do a charged R2 attack. This works on most bosses as well.

6. Many cursed chests are hard if you try to tackle them all the same way. Think of them like puzzles. Use all the tools at your disposal. The penalty for failure is a restart somewhere close by, so don’t be afraid to experiment.

7. Bomb or use charged R2 attacks for shield enemies. Both will break their shields.

Also generally remember that there’s no stamina management in this game! You can go pretty wild with attacks and dodges. I don’t have any advice about parries other then hit block right before you get hit. The window is somewhat tight, but it’s not that bad imo. I was able to regularly counter most attacks about 1/2 way though the game. Practice makes perfect! Also, blocking is pretty good and can be a life saver, you don’t always need to dodge.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I tried it for 10 minutes and hated it, does it get better after the initial introduction? or is that first few minutes the gameplay loop and I should just skip?

Last edited:
I tried it for 10 minutes and hated it, does it get better after the initial introduction? or is that first few minutes the gameplay loop and I should just skip?
I made it about an hour in and binned it. Hated almost every minute.

Most overrated game of the year for me.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sat down and finished this last week and I loved it, but I felt like the mountain area could've been and entire area to explore like the previous two instead of just a single boss fight. Almost seems like it was going to be but they truncated the game and ended up just using the one cave.

Top Bottom