• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits - Fidelity Mode Gameplay & Impressions (PS5 4K 30FPS)

rubhen925

Got a chance to check out the game on the PS5 tonight. Here's some info and impressions:

- PS5 version install size is 17.87 GB as of Version 1.004.
- Game has 2 modes. Fidelity & Performance
- Fidelity is native 4K at 30FPS
- Performance is upscaled 4K at 60FPS. As with most game I recommend the 60FPS experience.
- Unlike the PC version, no options to adjust motion blur, ambient occlusion, etc. Actually other than Gamma and Mode choice console versions can't adjust anything else
- No in game HDR. Just using the PS5 HDR settings for personal use and recording.
- The main weapon is a magic staff that you can use to smack enemies with. R1 for light, and R2 for heavy melee attacks. R2 can be charged.
- Most enemies that you fight are weaklings, You can spam to victory. Once you beat the minibosses they start appearing as regular enemies. They are tough and require a lot of shielding and running around the battlefield.
- You can control the rot creatures to distract or attack enemies. They get stunned and you can wail on them
- I'm only 4 hours in, but I got access to the spirit bow, shield which can parry if done at the right moment, and also a spirit bomb projectile. You can throw it an enemy or object and use the arrows to blow it up. They blow up on their own as well.
- Visuals are pixar levels imo. Amazing quality. There is a fair bit of pop in during cutscenes etc.
- Some cutscenes are 30 fps and some are 60fps. Not sure what that's about
- Music in the game is pretty great, gives you the feels whenever they go off in the cutscenes. Sound design is superb as well.
- One issue i noticed is that regardless of fidelity or performance modes, when using the water droplet ability, you have to control the movement of Kena and the droplet at the same time. During these moments the fps in unstable. Fluctuates a lot.
- Loading is practically non existent once in the game. The game goes through cutscenes and gameplay without loading much. I haven't noticed any loading since the start of the game.

That's it for now. I'll finish it tomorrow and update the thread. Cheers

UPDATE:

- played another 2 hours and getting the repetitive feeling of going to an area cleanse etc. Reminds me of the 2008 cell shaded Prince of Persia for some reason. Not a bad thing. I liked that game as well.
- combat does get a bit boring after a while. Even on harder modes. I don't like the idea of minibosses getting recycled. takes the effect of the original boss fight.
- More puzzles involving the grenade projectile and pulsing. Not bad. Some are a bit confusing at first.
- So people are grilling me for calling it pixar level. Remember it's my impressions and opinion. I haven't seen a pixar film since Cars 2. I was just going off my memory. Also i played both PC and PS5 versions.
- Yes PS5 does have downgrades with lighting, and some textures. Should have mentioned that last night.
- Just a game. No need to raise them pitchforks at me. Enjoy!

Fidelity Mode (4K 30FPS)

Performance Mode (Upscaled 4K 60FPS)

Last edited:

TonyK

- No in game HDR.
uc6NE5t.png

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Visuals look like they've had quite a lighting downgrade since the early reveal trailers. Geometry levels still look close, but lighting...hmmm.

Visuals look like they've had quite a lighting downgrade since the early reveal trailers. Geometry levels still look close, but lighting...hmmm.
Yeah, lighting and texture quality puts it miles behind anything Pixar. Still looks nice though, especially for a small game.

Bramble

Wait, what do you mean with "no in game HDR"? I mean the game outputs HDR right? Deathloop has no HDR toggle in game, but it has HDR.

Reactions: GHG
Got a chance to check out the game on the PS5 tonight. Here's some info and impressions:

- Performance is upscaled 4K at 60FPS. As with most game I recommend the 60FPS experience.
- Unlike the PC version, no options to adjust motion blur, ambient occlusion, etc. Actually other than Gamma and Mode choice console versions can't adjust anything else
- No in game HDR. Just using the PS5 HDR settings for personal use and recording.
- The main weapon is a magic staff that you can use to smack enemies with. R1 for light, and R2 for heavy melee attacks. R2 can be charged.
- Most enemies that you fight are weaklings, You can spam to victory. Once you beat the minibosses they start appearing as regular enemies. They are tough and require a lot of shielding and running around the battlefield.
- You can control the rot creatures to distract or attack enemies. They get stunned and you can wail on them
- I'm only 4 hours in, but I got access to the spirit bow, shield which can parry if done at the right moment, and also a spirit bomb projectile. You can throw it an enemy or object and use the arrows to blow it up. They blow up on their own as well.
- Visuals are pixar levels imo. Amazing quality. There is a fair bit of pop in during cutscenes etc.
- Music in the game is pretty great, gives you the feels whenever they go off in the cutscenes. Sound design is superb as well.
- One issue i noticed is that regardless of fidelity or performance modes, when using the water droplet ability, you have to control the movement of Kena and the droplet at the same time. During these moments the fps in unstable. Fluctuates a lot.
- Loading is practically non existent once in the game. The game goes through cutscenes and gameplay without loading much. I haven't noticed any loading since the start of the game.

Where is this "Pixar levels" rubbish coming from? No this isn't at Pixar quality visuals, are you just following the crowd or do you believe this? Game looks great but do we have to have this bull crap for every PS5 game of a certain visual style? It just makes you and others who agree look like disillusioned fanboys.

Inviusx

No in game HDR isn't necessarily a bad thing. If it supports HGiG it will use the system preferences which is actually preferable.

Topher

Gold Member
Where is this "Pixar levels" rubbish coming from? No this isn't at Pixar quality visuals, are you just following the crowd or do you believe this? Game looks great but do we have to have this bull crap for every PS5 game of a certain visual style? It just makes you and others who agree look like disillusioned fanboys.

It is primarily due to the character design. They are definitely Pixar-ish. There is nothing wrong with making that comparison. Why are you and others so triggered by this?

Inviusx

It doesn't support HDR? What is this HGIG you're referring to?

Sorry I meant "No in game HDR adjustment".

HGiG is a feature supported by newer model TV's that turns off all in built HDR post processing when using that mode and defaults the picture to the HDR adjustment you set at the system level. So it's kinda like raw HDR rather than HDR controlled by the set itself which sometimes isn't as accurate.

GHG

Gold Member
rubhen925 rubhen925 you might want to double check your info regarding HDR because for Deathloop the game does have HDR but there's no toggle in-game.

Some people who reviewed the game on PC said the same thing so calm your tits.

replicant-

Sorry I meant "No in game HDR adjustment".

HGiG is a feature supported by newer model TV's that turns off all in built HDR post processing when using that mode and defaults the picture to the HDR adjustment you set at the system level. So it's kinda like raw HDR rather than HDR controlled by the set itself which sometimes isn't as accurate.

HGIG is a must. Got both the PS5 and Series X using it.

ripeavocado

Banned
In game graphics are definitely not next-gen but it's refreshing to see what skilled 3d artists coming from VFX are capable of with a more powerful hardware.

Art style and detail-focus are a LOT better than the average game.

VFXVeteran VFXVeteran do you agree?

Skifi28

People getting triggered the moment they read the word Pixar are so much more annoying.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I hope that HDR comment is just about not being able to adjust and not about no HDR being in there becuase that would be a huge bummer - especially for a game like this.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Why are you upset exactly? I thought people are free to have their opinions.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
For me fidelity mode was not worth it. It hardly looked any better, and this game does not look good moving at 30 fps.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Saw some video of the PS4Pro version.

This isnt a native PS5 app is it?
Cuz it looks pretty much the same on PS4Pro and PS5?

P.S Prerendered videos really need to go away.
All the consoles are powerful enough to do this in real time.
Especially if you are doing a PC version where resolution, aspect ratio and frame rate are so dynamic forcing cutscenes to drop to 30fps.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
According to most of the comments when ever a new Nintendo game is released a lot of your guys kids should LOVE this game.

Last edited:

Autofokus

Again the 30fps mode is the default mode. Ugh. They really should stop doing that.
60fps Performance is the default.
I hope that HDR comment is just about not being able to adjust and not about no HDR being in there becuase that would be a huge bummer - especially for a game like this.
The PS5 version supports HDR (don’t know about PC), no in-game adjustments though.

Whitecrow

Banned
Yep, the trouble is having to test it for each new game. I usually just fall back to the recommendations of some pros on YouTube that have proper luminance measuring equipment.
I ended up not giving a fuck about HDR honestly.

Until the HGIG consortium establishes a standard for all games to follow, SDR will always offer better accuracy even if colors pop less.

At the end of the day, HDR is only used to make lights and highlight pop more, but making the effort to craft a scene with both shadow and bright detail is still not there yet.
Games are just using the bare minimum of what HDR can offer.

replicant-

I ended up not giving a fuck about HDR honestly.

Until the HGIG consortium establishes a standard for all games to follow, SDR will always offer better accuracy even if colors pop less.

At the end of the day, HDR is only used to make lights and highlight pop more, but making the effort to craft a scene with both shadow and bright detail is still not there yet.
Games are just using the bare minimum of what HDR can offer.

The problem is with the PS5 I tend to suffer crushed blacks on my LG C9 with SDR. Maybe something is set up incorrectly.

Don't have this issue with the Series X or Switch.

Whitecrow

Banned
The problem is with the PS5 I tend to suffer crushed blacks on my LG C9 with SDR. Maybe something is set up incorrectly.

Crushed blacks are the result of the console outputing full RGB and the TV being configured on limited.
Set everything to auto on TV and the console, and you're good to go.

People getting triggered the moment they read the word Pixar are so much more annoying.
No mate, you see it's become this bragging mantra of a certain crowd that use it as some sort of visual benchmark. It's almost always a PS5 game as well, it's a ridiculous thing to claim yet I see being used consistently.

So you're saying let them go on with this ludicrous idea? Fair enough 😅

Kuranghi

Crushed blacks are the result of the console outputing full RGB and the TV being configured on limited.
Set everything to auto on TV and the console, and you're good to go.

What Whitecrow Whitecrow said would normally work but not on LG for some reason, it doesn't auto switch properly according to what the PS5 puts out so you need to match what the PS5 is putting out on the TV, ie if PS5 is outputting Limited then Low on the TV and if its Full then set the TV to High.

I would think its getting Full almost all the time (Except when rarely ouputting 4K@120 + HDR it will send out Limited/422 instead of Full) from the PS5 with a C9 due to the HDMI 2.1 so I'd just set TV to High and console to Auto or High since on Auto is will always try to send High if it can. So worst case do as I just said but switch TV to Low when you are outputting 4K@120 + HDR.

No idea why the Auto setting doesn't work properly, this was also a thing I read/saw a few months ago so maybe it was fixed in a firmware update, someone with an C9 could maybe speak to that.

bargeparty

Is there any dualsense stuff?

Whitecrow

Banned
What Whitecrow Whitecrow said would normally work but not on LG for some reason, it doesn't auto switch properly according to what the PS5 puts out so you need to match what the PS5 is putting out on the TV, ie if PS5 is outputting Limited then Low on the TV and if its Full then set the TV to High.

I would think its getting Full almost all the time (Except when rarely ouputting 4K@120 + HDR it will send out Limited/422 instead of Full) from the PS5 with a C9 due to the HDMI 2.1 so I'd just set TV to High and console to Auto or High since on Auto is will always try to send High if it can. So worst case do as I just said but switch TV to Low when you are outputting 4K@120 + HDR.

No idea why the Auto setting doesn't work properly, this was also a thing I read/saw a few months ago so maybe it was fixed in a firmware update, someone with an C9 could maybe speak to that.
Well it happens that I have a C9, and it's working for me xd

Cant say for sure if it's due to a firmware update on any of the parts

Top Bottom