• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Kena: Bridge of Spirits Critique - A Vintage Victory" by Monty Zander

A wonderful YouTube channel that I highly recommend to anybody who is really interested in in-depth critiques of video games.
He also ran the series in which he, to quote, "made his girlfriend play" Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro and Dark Souls 3 which I found to be highly entertaining but also surprisingly some of the most illuminating videos on those titles.
Monty Zander:
Kena: Bridge of Spirits feels like it’s been made just for me. It’s got the collect-a-thon style of a mascot platformer, mixed with the thematic concentration of a Ninja Theory game, and the boss difficulty of a souls-like. Yet somehow, it manages to fuse this all together into an identity all its own. At times the nostalgia feels warm and fuzzy, reminiscent of titles decades old, but more importantly, Ember Lab understands their audience.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
It is a great game, still working my way through it.

The lock-on and camera mechanic during battles, especially in small areas needed a few more months in the oven though. Can't tell you how many times i've died from the camera inexplicably swinging the wrong way when i'm locked on, and sometimes when im in battle and not locked on at all.

fermcr

Kena is a beautiful game, but not a great game. After 6-7 hours it just becomes tiresome and uninteresting...

Kuranghi

I've still to get back to it after stopping to play Metroid Dread, I'm trying to play it at 30hz but its a fool's errand because DX11 has too many stutters generally and DX12 is smooth but has increased input lag due to forced borderless fullscreen - normally that'd be fine at 60hz but the game is generally very laggy anyway so that + 30hz + borderless fullscreen increased lag v-sync makes it really unpleasant, like what feels like 100s of ms of lag level of bad.

I should really just lower res to 1440p and lock to 60hz but that introduces more stutters in DX11 I can't get rid of and lowering the res from native 4K really robs the game of its animated-film like clean IQ, it ends up looking quite blurry even with sharpening and so much detail is lost in even the middle-distance. Turning TAA off to alleviate the softness isn't an option either as the game has heavy aliasing. I'm guessing the softness at below ~1800p resolutions is the reason the PC version has sharpening set to 3.0 by default, thankfully you can lower it via ini file editing.

I hope their next release is a bit more technically competent as the stutters/framepacing in DX11 are pretty bad even in general terms of that issue in UE games. DX12 fixes almost all of that but is stuck to stinky borderless fullscreen and forces said lag upon you no matter what I do.

Top Bottom