• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits Cold Boots In Less Than 2 Seconds On PlayStation 5

DJT123

Is this next-gen? The speed of games booting has never been an issue on PC. It's always been like sub-10 seconds with SSD. You also mod out title screens etc.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Cross gens may be bad in some cases but Kena looks epic. And no matter what 2 sec (cold boot) is mighty fine.
So cross gen is only bad when certain people decide it’s bad?

Im trying to understand how this works.

It has to be held back by PS4, so therefore not a real PS5 game, based on internet standards.

So what makes it next gen, after all I can play it if I own a PS4.

This is the standard argument right?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Only when people are trying to make the opposition look bad. Speaking of hypocrisy, I wonder how different this forum would react to a lower resolution version of the PS5 that was $299 if MS were only coming out with a XSX. "OMG, Sony are geniuses! The adoption rate will be insane!"

Cyborg

It has to be held back by PS4, so therefore not a real PS5 game, based on internet standards.

So what makes it next gen, after all I can play it if I own a PS4.

This is the standard argument right?

Dude think what you want thats how opinions work :) I find the game and results amazing you can have a different opinion.

Last edited:
Is this next-gen? The speed of games booting has never been an issue on PC. It's always been like sub-10 seconds with SSD. You also mod out title screens etc.

Why are you mixing PCs with console gens?

Yes, this is next gen, even child should understand it.

Gens are defined by consoles and PC have nothing to do with it, you just want to praise PC or what, otherwise it doesnt make sense.

Like you are saying "yeah current gen loads games up to minutes, but 2s is nothing so it is not next gen feature!"

Also you are liar, stop lying please.

Claim that speed of booting games have never been an issue is just pure lie, never means even 80's computers, you know?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Dude think what you want thats how opinions work :) I find the game and results amazing you can have a different opinion.
Opinions don’t change the fact I can play it by owning a PS4 (or PC) though, and so can you.

It isn’t something you need to buy a next gen console to play.

True Or False?

Kagey K

Banned

Gens are defined by consoles and PC have nothing to do with it, you just want to praise PC or what, otherwise it doesnt make sense.

Like you are saying "yeah current gen loads games up to minutes, but 2s is nothing so it is not next gen feature!"

Claim that speed of booting games have never been an issue is just pure lie, never means even 80's computers, you know?
Everyone owns PCs better than current gen consoles, so it’s only fair that they should be compared. 😂

Cyborg

Opinions don’t change the fact I can play it by owning a PS4 (or PC) though, and so can you.

It isn’t something you need to buy a next gen console to play.

True Or False?
True :) But I plan to play more games so I will be fine.

What you said doesn't mean anything, the PS5 is able to fill its 16 GB RAM in 2 seconds, that's the time that games will take to boot up, less than 2 seconds, a little more than 2 seconds, it's in that ballpark.
Wait it actually fills the ram to the full capacity, including the memory dedicated to OS? I didn't see that part in the article. Sorry if I sound like a dick, but you gotta link? People have been saying that in next gen speculation thread, but no one had links. (I have barely been active the last 4 days or so, so forgive me if I'm late to the party)

Exede

Booting in 2 secs doen´t sound uber impressive. Tell me how long it takes from the click on the play button until i can move the character, that´s the importend thing to know.

INC

Only when people are trying to make the opposition look bad. Speaking of hypocrisy, I wonder how different this forum would react to a lower resolution version of the PS5 that was $299 if MS were only coming out with a XSX. "OMG, Sony are geniuses! The adoption rate will be insane!"

Technically sony are releasing a lower resolution console

So you want the game to boot straight to game play from a cold start bypassing all options like chapter select, difficulty setting, video options etc ?!
So it's like double clicking a game on pc and getting the black screen to main menu. Of course getting into gameplay would be more impressive than loading into the main menu. I thought they meant gameplay... Excitement boner was deflated after reading that, since it's nothing new.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Wouah ! Impressive...

I am the only one not caring for the booting time and loading time ?
Loading time can be a problem if the game required you to go frequently in loading screen (quest that require fast travels or the pre patch Bloodborne when you wanted to go in the Dream for level up...)

Also I like loading screen which provide info or lore (Soulsborne).

DJT123

It's never really been an issue on PC since SSD- even loading games (except for Wasteland3 that shit takes forever).

pasterpl

So this is from Ps os to game menu time? Not actually to gameplay? Wondering how many people misunderstood this and will be “disappointed“ with up to 4s load time to game from menu (This bit is sarcastic).

in all seriousness, why people are excited about cross gen AA(almost indie game), that if on Xbox would be be described as “gamepass filler”?

longdi

Banned
After all the hoop-hola over the 2s load times, let's admire the game for how it looks:

NZuufrJ.jpg

kena.jpg

Very pretty game. Reminds me of Horizon Forbidden West. (y)

Imo this lighting dont look as good as their scripted trailer.

Does the artwork helps in overcoming the 'low' polygon look of current realtime models? Or they are running some impressive tessellation maths?

/asking as someone with no programming background

Last edited:
How about booting straight to a level in a game? Or straight to a lobby in a multiplayer match?

Any devs who have spoke about it yet?

LED Guy?

Banned
Wait it actually fills the ram to the full capacity, including the memory dedicated to OS? I didn't see that part in the article. Sorry if I sound like a dick, but you gotta link? People have been saying that in next gen speculation thread, but no one had links. (I have barely been active the last 4 days or so, so forgive me if I'm late to the party)
This is according to one of Mark Cerny's slides in his "Road to PS5" GDC video.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
State of Decay 2 on xsx showed 11 seconds though. And that is not a fresh boot from the system menu.

As I've been saying, Cerny built a slew of dedicated I/O chips in the PS5 to address all the bottlenecks of I/O. MS did not. They have a decompression chip and software solutions, that's it.
What could you humanly do in that 11 seconds?

Show me how you would achieve great heights during that 8 second difference.

I don’t even think you could record the worst Tiktok video in that time.

Last edited:
What could you humanly do in that 11 seconds?

Show me how you would achieve great heights during that 8 second difference.

I don’t even think you could record the worst Tiktok video in that time.

It speaks volume about the latency in the I/O between two machines. Devs can make a game on PS5 where Kratos could punch Thor and fly miles and miles hitting tress and walls and eventually land in a different realm without compromising on graphics by having every textures fit in the RAM. XSS/XSX don't have that luxury.

That's just one example.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It speak volume about the latency in the I/O between two machines. Devs can make a game on PS5 where Kratos could punch Thor and fly miles and miles hitting tress and walls and eventually land in a different realm without compromising on graphics by having every textures fit in the RAM. XSS/XSX don't have that luxury.

That's just one example.
So you are using Xbox one games with no enhancements vs PS5 enhanced games to make that comparison?

Do you really think only PS5 will be able to handle those?

INC

It speaks volume about the latency in the I/O between two machines. Devs can make a game on PS5 where Kratos could punch Thor and fly miles and miles hitting tress and walls and eventually land in a different realm without compromising on graphics by having every textures fit in the RAM. XSS/XSX don't have that luxury.

That's just one example.

Prerty sure xbx also has the ability to fast boot, and if the difference is even 2seconds on ps5 and 10 seconds on xbx, what difference does it make.........seriously...........clutching at that point

geordiemp

Technically sony are releasing a lower resolution console

Seems other way round to me, we have seen Native 4k with ray tracing on Ps5, and whats been shown on XSX ?

remember 14 TF Turing = 20 TF ampere, how efficiently do you think the consoles will fare ?

Last edited:

yurinka

Not just Kena, doing maths all games will take to boot less than 2 seconds. Because it loads faster than 8GB/s (8-9GB/s in most real world cases and up to 22GB/s if particularly well compressed) and it will have less than 16GB of RAM available for games. This means we'll even see some smaller games to boot in under a second.

PS5 won't need an hybernation system.

How about booting straight to a level in a game? Or straight to a lobby in a multiplayer match?

Any devs who have spoke about it yet?
The 'less than 2 seconds' is to fill all the available memory for games from scratch when booting the game.

If you already are inside the game and you load a level, a multiplayer lobby or make a fast travel, it would take even less time, because they already have a part of the game loaded so the amount of memory to fill with that will be smaller. So very likely in many cases it will take around a second or so.

This is to load from the SSD. Once in the lobby you'll need to wait for other players to be ready, for the server to make verifications, speed/latency tests and synch stuff so this other parts will still be there.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not just Kena, doing maths all games will take to boot less than 2 seconds. Because it loads faster than 8GB/s and it will have less than 16GB of RAM available for games. I think we'll even see some smaller games to boot in under a second.

PS5 won't need an hybernation system.
By hibernation are you referring to suspend/resume? If so I still think that it has a role. With suspend/resume I don't have to worry about saving a game or a developer implementing reasonable checkpoint system.

But I know what you mean, in terms of time, loading a game from scratch will be not too dissimilar in speed to suspend/resume. I assume (and hope) they give users the option to suspend/resume still. I like the was Xbox are allowing a few games to be 'suspended' simultaneously, this may require dumping RAM to SSD, but I imagine PS5 would be able to do this even faster than MS have indicated theirs would work.

yurinka

By hibernation are you referring to suspend/resume? If so I still think that it has a role. With suspend/resume I don't have to worry about saving a game or a developer implementing reasonable checkpoint system.

But I know what you mean, in terms of time, loading a game from scratch will be not too dissimilar in speed to suspend/resume. I assume (and hope) they give users the option to suspend/resume still. I like the was Xbox are allowing a few games to be 'suspended' simultaneously, this may require dumping RAM to SSD, but I imagine PS5 would be able to do this even faster than MS have indicated theirs would work.
Yes, I meant a suspend/resume system to boot faster a game that you were running before shutting down the console or when going to the console's main menu.

If games have a normal checkpoint system and they boot in under a second or two loading times aren't an issue so they don't need to waste SSD space on dumping there the memory of the suspended game(s).

Regarding MS loading times, what they did show were XBO games so maybe they weren't running on a 'boost mode' that would take advantage of the SSD speed. I assume native Series S and X games will have loading times 2 or 3 times longer than the PS5 native games. So we're talking about under 2-4 seconds to boot a Series X native game. For me that isn't an issue, so I wouldn't put a resume system there, but they will do it. This would speed up boot time but will also reduce the available SSD space on Series S and X.

Last edited:

OrionNebula

Those fast boots & loads are going to be an issue for me

This will obviously affect and alter my gaming style drastically

With instant-fast loading, when am I supposed to take a sip? A bite? Sony didn’t take my sipping schedule in consideration when they pulled out that snazzy SSD, now did they?

That being said, I’m still taking Kena home comes Nov. I want to see the results of Horizon Zero Dawn having sex with Pixar first-hand

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yes, I meant a suspend/resume system to boot faster a game that you were running before shutting down the console or when going to the console's main menu.

If games have a normal checkpoint system and they boot in under a second or two loading times aren't an issue so they don't need to waste SSD space on dumping there the memory of the suspended game(s).

Regarding MS loading times, what they did show were XBO games so maybe they weren't running on a 'boost mode' that would take advantage of the SSD speed. I assume native Series S and X games will have loading times 2 or 3 times longer than the PS5 native games. So we're talking about under 2-4 seconds to boot a Series X native game. For me that isn't an issue, so I wouldn't put a resume system there, but they will do it. This would speed up boot time but will also reduce the available SSD space on Series S and X.
This is a big if 😁 (literally). It is also not something Sony can enforce. I have 2 small children and I can be in the middle of a massive boss battle and need to leave my console immediately if they are in need of attention. The PS4's resume is a godsend, it has taken away the need to either lose progress or try and establish if I'm at or reached a checkpoint. The only exception to this is obviously always online games, that will always be a problem (hence why I don't get to play them as much nowadays).

yurinka

This is a big if 😁 (literally). It is also not something Sony can enforce. I have 2 small children and I can be in the middle of a massive boss battle and need to leave my console immediately if they are in need of attention. The PS4's resume is a godsend, it has taken away the need to either lose progress or try and establish if I'm at or reached a checkpoint. The only exception to this is obviously always online games, that will always be a problem (hence why I don't get to play them as much nowadays).
It isn't a big if, it's mandatory to all games. The only difference from a game to another is the amount of time between checkpoints. Yes, long battles would load the game in the start of the battle, but how long is a boss battle, maybe 5 minutes? 10? I don't see it as a big issue because they are only a tiny portion of the game so most times you quit the game isn't during a boss battle, and people don't care about starting again the battle.

Obviously resume or faster loading won't help on online games. But in these cases, very likely PS5 will allow you to boot the game directy to the lobby or to reach it super fast.

With instant-fast loading, when am I supposed to take a sip? A bite? Sony didn’t take my sipping schedule in consideration when they pulled out that snazzy SSD, now did they?
Whenever you want, consoles feature a pause button.

Last edited:

bargeparty

Those fast boots & loads are going to be an issue for me

This will obviously affect and alter my gaming style drastically

That being said, I’m still taking Kena home comes Nov. I want to see the results of Horizon Zero Dawn having sex with Pixar first-hand

I got you

Novelty-Place-Guzzler-Drinking-Helmet-Can-Holder-Drinker-Hat-Cap-with-Straw-for-Beer-and-Soda-Party-Fun-Red-0-4.jpg

Azurro

Banned
It's also available on PC. Can't wait to see the more graphical effects over the PS5. :D

Finally your PCMR fanboyism caught up to you. :p

About Kena, the game looks cute. I'd be curious to know what they had to cut or what compromises they had to do to have a last gen version out.

Convicsik

Xsex - Loads in 5 seconds
PS5 - Loads in 2 seconds
Atari 2600 - turn on power and character dies before you have time to react.

We have almost reached 1977 levels of speed this gen boys. So close.

Top Bottom