• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits Cold Boots In Less Than 2 Seconds On PlayStation 5

bargeparty

I feel like you haven't seen the specs of the SSDs in both consoles? The worst case scenario is the Xbox Series X version takes ~2x as long, based on figures that both Sony and Microsoft provided, so it would boot in less than 4 seconds on the Series X. This ain't rocket science mate. We know how much RAM these consoles have, and we know how fast they can fill that RAM from the SSDs. The PS5 does it faster, but we're literally talking a second or 2.

I'm living rent free in some peoples heads here already, feels good man.

2 second boot time is impressive. Pretty irrelevant, but impressive. I can't say I've ever been annoyed by boot times on games this generation, even on a standard HDD. Maybe I'm just not changing games enough, PUBG has me hooked haha.

Nah I'm just humored by your jackassery.

You asked a loaded question with no detail.

What bottlenecks specifically?

Well they are in the image.

Screenshot_2-c024.jpg

Please don't bring Jesus into this.

Edit:

I know that Sony is using alot of hardware to address these points and to remove load off the CPU.

LALQ2JYNDlp5UHHmKz5_ZWckhW11111Sy852CTMTzW4.jpg

I'm wondering if Microsoft is doing something similar.

Last edited:

Kdad

Xbox and PS5 will have random consoles where the SSD identifies as a tape drive, 3.5"floppy, ZIP drive and 5400rpm HDD in order to be diverse.
Please understand.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's insane, that's too fast GODDANG!! Unbelievable stuff!

"First up, there’s the matter of load times. Sony has touted the speed of the PS5’s solid-state drive, and how it virtually eliminates long loads. In practice, we watched as Kena was launched from the PlayStation 5 system menu. It took about two seconds. That’s not resuming a suspended game, but launching the game fresh."

“They have a whole thing set up where you can do transition and it’s very nice, but frankly it doesn’t have time to play the animation. It just loads the game so fast,” says Josh Grier, chief operating officer at Ember Lab."

It's getting too fast and too furious! :messenger_smiling_horns:

Nah, rent free living ;)

Less than 2 seconds vs less than 4 seconds, what a huge difference! 2TF less power? NO DIFFERENCE! 2 seconds of loading to boot a game? GAME CHANGER!!!!!!!!!

In terms of percentages there's a greater difference in the I/O than the GPUs.

There's a massive difference between the XSS and the XSX yet the XSS is a 1440P box that will play XSX games at the same detail levels. What do you think a 10.28TF vs a 12TF box comparison is going to be like? Essentially just a slightly lower resolution with everything else remaining the same. How big of a difference will that be?

Also what's with your weird answers?

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
In terms of percentages there's a greater difference in the I/O than the GPUs.

There's a massive difference between the XSS and the XSX yet the XSS is a 1440P box that will play XSX games at the same detail levels. What do you think a 10.28TF vs a 12TF box comparison is going to be like? Essentially just a slightly lower resolution with everything else remaining the same. How big of a difference will that be?

Also what's with your weird answers?
I'm being sarcastic. The differences between PS5 and XSX games will be minimal, slightly higher resolution on the XSX but with slightly slower loading.

I actually expect the XSS to likely run at the most stable framerate out of all 3.

I'm being sarcastic. The differences between PS5 and XSX games will be minimal, slightly higher resolution on the XSX but with slightly slower loading.

I actually expect the XSS to likely run at the most stable framerate out of all 3.

Not if the games have a performance mode.

Vroadstar

That's very fast load time. Can't wait to play this game. It's also a free upgrade when you buy PS4 version which is nice touch.

Yeh probably not then, but then they might even look worse than the Series S version.

Not the Series S performance mode. These consoles are alot more powerful than the XSS. It should be easy for them to run games at 60FPS and still look better than the XSS version. Afterall the XSS version is literally the XSX version at a lower resolution or at least that's what people tell me.

RCU005

So you want the game to boot straight to game play from a cold start bypassing all options like chapter select, difficulty setting, video options etc ?!

You know, some options should be made at system level, like inverted Y axis, haptic feedback, etc.

I don’t have in mind how many options could be, but there are definitely some that we always change in every game, so those common ones should be done via the PS5/XSX UI.

Also, about Kena, I think she will become a new favorite character.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Not the Series S performance mode. These consoles are alot more powerful than the XSS. It should be easy for them to run games at 60FPS and still look better than the XSS version. Afterall the XSS version is literally the XSX version at a lower resolution or at least that's what people tell me.
If all you're basing "looking better" on is resolution, sure. Comparing "performance mode" to "performance mode" then yes the X will look better, but again, the S has more headroom at 1080p than the X does at 4K, so the S version could look or perform better.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
That's insanely fast, can't wait to own the console at launch!
When there come the last ps5 games launch... I bet my collection of games that will still have a Loading screen.

This is because are launch games... But with the time, will going continúe to see loading screen in the last launch games of ps5

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Probably closer to 20-30 seconds considering resuming an existing title already in memory takes around 7 seconds but still a massive improvement compared to current gen.

Those games weren’t coded or optimized in any way to take advantage of Microsoft’s architecture, though. It was very much brute force, and designed to show what could be done for older games. They aren’t the best thing to extrapolate out of.

FranXico

That's nice, but I would be more impressed for a large game. This one is surely not using most of the system RAM.
I'm also curious about load times for PS4 games, which were not packaged for optimal IO subsystem use.

bitbydeath

Those games weren’t coded or optimized in any way to take advantage of Microsoft’s architecture, though. It was very much brute force, and designed to show what could be done for older games. They aren’t the best thing to extrapolate out of.

Would it need to be specially coded and optimised when moving data from A to B though?

I would think (could be wrong) that step would have already been completed when loaded the first time.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s going to be so nice, and so weird, to just start stuff up without a hassle. Right now, I have a ritual of checking Gaf/social media, just because of how obnoxious it is.

Now, could publishers, developers, and engine companies fuck off, and not make us watch their logos for half a minute every single time? Because that will flat-out ruin it. That’s what credits, or intro credits are for.

Would it need to be specially coded and optimised when moving data from A to B though?

I would think (could be wrong) that step would have already been completed when loaded the first time.

My understanding is that Microsoft’s ‘Velocity Architecture’ is not being taken advantage of here, thus, you just have an SSD doing SSD things, not unlike today’s PCs.

Futaleufu

Doom 64 loads instantly in my PC, too bad I have to seat thru 30 seconds of video intros/credits before starting the game.

DavidGzz

Well xbox are excited now over a less power console, that still has no games, if that's what u call a strategy to promote the most 'powerful console. What does xbx cross-gen games look like again?

Oh yeh

My point is that cross gen games can look amazing with the right art direction and devs. It isn't all doom and gloom like the fanboys make it seem just because Xbox is doing it. And you all prove it by saying how beautiful a cross gen game looks, someone even said it reminds them of Horizon 2 of all games. But use it as an opportunity to share that meme, warrior. Very good.

Last edited:

INC

My point is that cross gen games can look amazing with the right art direction and devs. It isn't all doom and gloom like the fanboys make it seem just because Xbox is doing it. And you all prove it by saying how beautiful a cross gen game looks, someone even said it reminds them of Horizon 2 of all games. But use it as an opportunity to share that meme, warrior. Very good.

Oh I see , so you try and throw shade, then don't like it when it comes back.

How very beta of you, your avatar really tries to paint a different picture of you, doesnt it lol

Cyborg

Amazing results and dont forget this is a ''indie'' developer. Not to discredit indies just saying that AAA (in case of Ubishit AAAA) teams will achive a lot more. This game is day one for me.

DavidGzz

Oh I see , so you try and throw shade, then don't like it when it comes back.

How very beta of you, your avatar really tries to paint a different picture of you, doesnt it lol

I just think it's funny how much everyone says Xbox's strategy is foolish because for the next 1-2 years they will keep supporting last gen but then are all salivating over a current gen game. Halo's graphics have everything to do with 343 not because it is cross-gen. See Cyberpunk, Gears 5, TLOU2, and Kena for proof.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope we get new trailer for this game soon, I really want to see more in depth look of how the combat system and its overall gameplay loop works.

You just know some PCMR dude on YouTube is going to go out and buy something for tens of thousands of dollars to try and get their rig to be this fast, don't you? It'll go like this:

1. Acquires $40,000 bit of kit.
2. Spends a few hours getting it set up in a custom rig, and fiddling with BIOS settings and Windows.
3. Leap around in excitement while looking at CrystalMark scores.
4. Ends video saying PCs still have the IO advantage, while making excuses of "I didn't load a game because they're not optimised for the hardware, so it wouldn't be accurate."

Uh huh.

Kagey K

Banned
Amazing results and dont forget this is a ''indie'' developer. Not to discredit indies just saying that AAA (in case of Ubishit AAAA) teams will achive a lot more. This game is day one for me.
It’s also a PS4 game. We all know cross gen is bad, so it should seem obvious that it could load fast.

Right?

cormack12

Gold Member
There's a lack of detail in that blurb. Is that to the menu screen, into the game, into a previous saved game etc? Anyway, yeah fast loading is going to be so sweet this generation. I'd be interested seeing some expectations around RDR:O and seeing if the Witcher matches the NVM speeds on PC.

Cyborg

It’s also a PS4 game. We all know cross gen is bad, so it should seem obvious that it could load fast.

Right?
Cross gens may be bad in some cases but Kena looks epic. And no matter what 2 sec (cold boot) is mighty fine.

Top Bottom