• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits Cold Boots In Less Than 2 Seconds On PlayStation 5

Grinchy

Banned
I can't wait for games to load fast as hell. It makes me also wonder if the native PS4 emulation will naturally load games lightning quick by default.

giphy.gif

It’s not apples to oranges (I know I know, fruit can be compared) but it’s all dependent on the developer of the game and how they “develop” it. I mean, there’s no denying an absolute speed advantage when it comes to the PS5 SSD, but the same results could probably be achieved on the Xbox with good optimisation, engine choice and coding talent.

It could be a game changer, but I’m yet to see something absolutely mind blowing that justifies the sacrifices elsewhere for raw I/o speed.

There is a famous saying, “less can be more” and 2-3 seconds of a difference isn’t much for all that.

That said, the proof is in the pudding (the games) but we haven’t even had dinner yet, nevermind pudding for desert so we must wait until the console are both out to compare and see what’s what.
What we have seen of xsx ssd is not very impressive 10.5 seconds for loading SOD2 and 6.5 seconds to swap between open games.

So yea let's wait and see what we see from them

What we have seen of xsx ssd is not very impressive 10.5 seconds for loading SOD2 and 6.5 seconds to swap between open games.

So yea let's wait and see what we see from them
It’s an SSD, it has a set speed and we know what SSD’s do. Even though it’s slower than the PS5, it’s nothing to turn your nose up at either. It’s lightning quick compared to old HDD’s and a massive leap in its own right.

not to mention the help of specific API’s and some good compression techniques can go a long way.

Yeah well this still does not answer my question, cold boot means that the starts, however if you can play after 2 seconds, that the question. With that said maybe I overlooking something in different language than it's mine, so yeah mistakes can happened. However I still don't have answer. Because "Kena" is the game right?
So you want the game to boot straight to game play from a cold start bypassing all options like chapter select, difficulty setting, video options etc ?!

Cue some idiot complaining that it's not instant.
Because the idiot doesn't realize that there has to be main menu's like character & chapter select, video, audio options etc. the same shit we have in games since forever.

Maybe insta-booting straight into game play in a random chapter, with random audio and video settings is what idiots really want.

It’s an SSD, it has a set speed and we know what SSD’s do. Even though it’s slower than the PS5, it’s nothing to turn your nose up at either. It’s lightning quick compared to old HDD’s and a massive leap in its own right.

not to mention the help of specific API’s and some good compression techniques can go a long way.
Yea of course ssd are great . There are weaker ssd and faster ssd. The way io helps the ssd makes the difference and helps with latency . Some ios are just better than others I guess

Well Xbox show that on that game switching, so I got confused obviously with "cold boot"...just non-English people things.
The OP has the bolded (below). Sorry not being rude to you if English is not your first language. Both consoles will make life alot easier for those who want to quickly run through a game.

"First up, there’s the matter of load times. Sony has touted the speed of the PS5’s solid-state drive, and how it virtually eliminates long loads. In practice, we watched as Kena was launched from the PlayStation 5 system menu. It took about two seconds. That’s not resuming a suspended game, but launching the game fresh."

mckmas8808

Banned
It’s not apples to oranges (I know I know, fruit can be compared) but it’s all dependent on the developer of the game and how they “develop” it. I mean, there’s no denying an absolute speed advantage when it comes to the PS5 SSD, but the same results could probably be achieved on the Xbox with good optimisation, engine choice and coding talent.

It could be a game changer, but I’m yet to see something absolutely mind blowing that justifies the sacrifices elsewhere for raw I/o speed.

There is a famous saying, “less can be more” and 2-3 seconds of a difference isn’t much for all that.

That said, the proof is in the pudding (the games) but we haven’t even had dinner yet, nevermind pudding for desert so we must wait until the console are both out to compare and see what’s what.

What sacrifices elsewhere?

I'm pretty sure the UI will allow you to continue from last saved game from the PS4 main menu and that is what actually was being described. First time bootup is usually longer due to trademark and splash screens etc.
Yes i read that somewhere that the PS5 UI has a sub menu where you can select the chapter to launch into and the game boots you straight to that section.

I completely forgot about that. But we have to wait and see if this is actually the case. Also agree with you on first time boot up with the splash screens and all taking maybe a little bit longer.

The OP has the bolded (below). Sorry not being rude to you if English is not your first language. Both consoles will make life alot easier for those who want to quickly run through a game.

"First up, there’s the matter of load times. Sony has touted the speed of the PS5’s solid-state drive, and how it virtually eliminates long loads. In practice, we watched as Kena was launched from the PlayStation 5 system menu. It took about two seconds. That’s not resuming a suspended game, but launching the game fresh."

Suspend resume should feel almost instant in comparison.

Suspend resume should feel almost instant in comparison.
This has to be the case if cold boot takes all of 2 seconds. I mean the resume should be instant. I don't even think there will be time for any animations to play out which leads me to believe the game will be resumable right there in that sub menu as per the PS5 Ui patent that was floating around recently.

I mean, this is as "real life" as you can get, these aren't even that impressive though for you to be saying this.

PS5 here is way more impressive than this Xbox Series X video, also Digital Foundry did say that this video doesn't tell the whole story because State of Decay 2 doesn't take full advantage of XSX SSD speeds & architecture.
Ofc DF would say that.

Chiggs

Hot take: I would have rather had more storage space than this extra fast SSD.

Buuuut....2 seconds is awfully impressive.

nochance

Banned
Sounds awesome.

If they can keep it that way across the board and there is no matching technology from competitors then they have finally brought back an argument for why you would want to own a console instead of a PC.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Where's MrFunSocks to downplay this?

"SeX will do it in 3secs"
I feel like you haven't seen the specs of the SSDs in both consoles? The worst case scenario is the Xbox Series X version takes ~2x as long, based on figures that both Sony and Microsoft provided, so it would boot in less than 4 seconds on the Series X. This ain't rocket science mate. We know how much RAM these consoles have, and we know how fast they can fill that RAM from the SSDs. The PS5 does it faster, but we're literally talking a second or 2.

If you don't MrFunSocks MrFunSocks how will he know what you said about him?
I'm living rent free in some peoples heads here already, feels good man.

2 second boot time is impressive. Pretty irrelevant, but impressive. I can't say I've ever been annoyed by boot times on games this generation, even on a standard HDD. Maybe I'm just not changing games enough, PUBG has me hooked haha.

Last edited:
I feel like you haven't seen the specs of the SSDs in both consoles? The worst case scenario is the Xbox Series X version takes ~2x as long, based on figures that both Sony and Microsoft provided, so it would boot in less than 4 seconds on the Series X. This ain't rocket science mate. We know how much RAM these consoles have, and we know how fast they can fill that RAM from the SSDs. The PS5 does it faster, but we're literally talking a second or 2.

2 second boot time is impressive. Pretty irrelevant, but impressive. I can't say I've ever been annoyed by boot times on games this generation, even on a standard HDD. Maybe I'm just not changing games enough, PUBG has me hooked haha.

So your saying the XSX can't do the same? Just curious if you have a theory on how the veloce rape architecture can help make the XsX I/0 catch up to the PS5s.

What we have seen of xsx ssd is 6 seconds for swapping games and 10.5 second for sod2 boot up .
Xsx ssd could just not be as efficient as sonys solution in data streaming and latency on top of speed.

Sorry we need to wait and see if ms can show anything impressive

Last edited:

INC

Bloodborne says hello

Elginer

Just let me preorder this beautiful mofo already Sony. I’ve been in a warpath getting digital games with free PS5 upgrades like Cyberpunk, Avengers, AC Valhalla and Far Cry 6.

MrFunSocks

Banned
So your saying the XSX can't do the same? Just curious if you have a theory on how the veloce rape architecture can help make the XsX I/0 catch up to the PS5s.
No it obviously can't do it in the same speed, we know the SSD speeds. It can do it slightly slower, to the point where the difference is irrelevant.

Bloodborne says hello
Haven't played it, not my type of game being single player and all.

Last edited:

INC

No it obviously can't do it in the same speed, we know the SSD speeds. It can do it slightly slower, to the point where the difference is irrelevant.

OK bf1, the load times were even worse between rounds

Depends what you define as slightly slower and what's irrelevant to you.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Depends what you define as slightly slower and what's irrelevant to you.
I count 1 second vs 2 seconds as slightly slower and irrelevant. Hell I'd even count 5s vs 10s as slightly slower and irrelevant. There's nothing that a game can do because of the SSD speed on the PS5 that it can't do on the XSX.

I count 1 second vs 2 seconds as slightly slower and irrelevant. Hell I'd even count 5s vs 10s as slightly slower and irrelevant. There's nothing that a game can do because of the SSD speed on the PS5 that it can't do on the XSX.
Says the arm chair dev on the forums lol 😆 there will be around 3 times difference i load times but that's not important, the low latency and io data streaming is where ps5 shines . But again all this will be seen soon in the first 3 years of game dev cycle

Last edited:

It can be done but half as fast. Plus I'm not sure if they addressed all the bottlenecks along the way.

Screenshot_2-c024.jpg

This is what I'm not sure about with the velocity architecture.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It can be done but half as fast. Plus I'm not sure if they addressed all the bottlenecks along the way.
They addressed them enough for the biggest GPU manufacturer to work with them.

It's amazing that all of a sudden there are all these magical bottlenecks that sony eliminated that no one else has ever thought of lol. I guess if people think Jesus Cerny invented the idea of faster I/O they'll believe anything.

Goddamn I've seen I/O more in the last month than in my entire life up until then. Fanboys gotta cling to whatever makes them feel better I guess.

They addressed them enough for the biggest GPU manufacturer to work with them.

It's amazing that all of a sudden there are all these magical bottlenecks that sony eliminated that no one else has ever thought of lol. I guess if people think Jesus Cerny invented the idea of faster I/O they'll believe anything.

Goddamn I've seen I/O more in the last month than in my entire life up until then. Fanboys gotta cling to whatever makes them feel better I guess.

So that means you don't have an intelligent answer to my question?

When you answer questions like this it means you either don't know the answer or don't want to admit it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom