• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keanu Reeves not starring in a live action short for Cyberpunk 2077 is a missed marketing opportunity

mortal

Gold Member

This recently occurred to me after watching the recent ad for the game featuring Keanu Reeves as himself. CD Project Red are currently working with and have access to Keanu , who is primarily recognized as an screen actor.
I did enjoy the wonderfully animated E3 2019 CGI cinematic, but if they're already willing to go for hyper realistic character models they might as well have went all the way with full realism.
Would be pretty cool if CDPR wrote or collaborated with a screenwriter for a live action short set in the world of Cyberpunk 2077 staring Keanu Reeves in his role as Johny SIlverhand?

Or even a series of live action ads Starring Keanu, and a different actor for V in each unique ad to represent the RPG aspect and unique character builds of the CP 2077.
Considering that Cyberpunk 2077 already started multi media marketing, the story could take place before the events of 2077. Even implementing the elements some ARG in each ads as Easter eggs.

With creative power houses like Weta Workshop or even Oats Studios proving creative visual effects and detailed props. I believe the Oats Studios x Cyberpunk 2077 would be sick.
EA even got Oats Studios to produced a live action trailer as marketing for Anthem. Their original shorts are also really well made with some really cool, visceral science fiction imo. No surprise there given Neill Blomkap and his studio's experience in the film industry.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I would have loved a Keanu Reeves led mini web series for Cyberpunk much like Remedy did with Bright Falls for Alan Wake.

mortal

Gold Member
Making something worth watching isn't easy.

Will backfire hard if it's terrible.
No doubt there's always the risk, but there is some fantastic creative talent that would pull this off.

I would have loved a Keanu Reeves led mini web series for Cyberpunk much like Remedy did with Bright Falls for Alan Wake.
Hell that would be pretty cool to see as well.

Last edited:
Yea sounds like an awesome way to spend extra millions you dont want to spend before the game is out. The marketing is out there, everyone knows about CP2077. It will literally be extra money thrown out.

carlosrox

Banned
Eh, the internet has really run Keanu Reeves into the ground anyway.

The internet ruins everything it touches with its dumbass memes and fad culture.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned

This recently occurred to me after watching the recent ad for the game featuring Keanu Reeves as himself. CD Project Red are currently working with and have access to Keanu , who is primarily recognized as an screen actor.
I did enjoy the wonderfully animated E3 2019 CGI cinematic, but if they're already willing to go for hyper realistic character models they might as well have went all the way with full realism.
Would be pretty cool if CDPR wrote or collaborated with a screenwriter for a live action short set in the world of Cyberpunk 2077 staring Keanu Reeves in his role as Johny SIlverhand?

Or even a series of live action ads Starring Keanu, and a different actor for V in each unique ad to represent the RPG aspect and unique character builds of the CP 2077.
Considering that Cyberpunk 2077 already started multi media marketing, the story could take place before the events of 2077. Even implementing the elements some ARG in each ads as Easter eggs.

With creative power houses like Weta Workshop or even Oats Studios proving creative visual effects and detailed props. I believe the Oats Studios x Cyberpunk 2077 would be sick.
EA even got Oats Studios to produced a live action trailer as marketing for Anthem. Their original shorts are also really well made with some really cool, visceral science fiction imo. No surprise there given Neill Blomkap and his studio's experience in the film industry.

In all this attempting to come off as a screenwriter you forgot there's a covid outbreak happening that stops filming.

Great Hair

Banned
That would raise the costs of the game. They spent part of that budget on other famous celebrities of our time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Do you not realize how expensive such a thing would be? Shooting a short with a an actor of Reeves caliber and be good would likely cost in the $100s of thousands if not millions. Is that really a good use of money? I don’t believe so.

Nah, they are walking a fine line with the Keanu reeves deal, along with the other “celebrity” appearances. Let’s not overplay the hand now, shall we?

Ultraslick

Neo Member
I just saw an Xbox commercial that was live action with Keanu talking about the world. During the nba finals game last night.

You asked for it, you got it

mortal

Gold Member
Do you not realize how expensive such a thing would be? Shooting a short with a an actor of Reeves caliber and be good would likely cost in the $100s of thousands if not millions. Is that really a good use of money? I don’t believe so.
How would a live action short or ads with Keanu as Johnny be an issue when he's already starring in the game and is featured in the new ad?
CDPR have confirmed that he has the most lines in the game already packed with dialogue. You make it seem like I just suggested a glitzy feature length film.
and thought "What the hell is OP talking about?"
So you really didn't even bother reading the very first sentence?

I just saw an Xbox commercial that was live action with Keanu talking about the world. During the nba finals game last night.

You asked for it, you got it
Yes it's linked in the very first sentence, but how's is that at all like a live action short?
You mean like this?

That's linked in the very first sentence of my post. That ad is just featuring Keanu as himself, not playing Johny SIlverhand.
It's essentially his appearance at E32019 but in the form of a video ad.

Nah, they are walking a fine line with the Keanu reeves deal, along with the other “celebrity” appearances. Let’s not overplay the hand now, shall we?
How are they walking a fine line? I don't care about streamers or other "celebrities" as you put it.
I just thought it could make for interesting marketing given that Keanu is already an experienced screen actor. I don't see that as overplaying it, just playing to strengths.

In all this attempting to come off as a screenwriter you forgot there's a covid outbreak happening that stops filming.
No need to be a smart ass about it.

You do realize people are still capable of being productive even with certain covid related restrictions in place, right? it can be done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom