• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz: GTS Got 9.5 Million Users

ethomaz

Banned
From a Japanese site:

“As a result, we got 9.5 million users, but it didn’t sell explosively from the beginning, and it seemed that the understanding gradually progressed and the support increased over the three year”.

Actual number of accounts created on GranTurismo.com is around 12.8m excluding Beta only accounts.

So there is some metric in place for “users”.

GTPlanet’s article for English users: https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sports-9-5-million-players-20210201/

The game has still over 100k users doing the the weekly challenges plus there is push in new accounts this holiday.

Last edited:

ne1butu

Incredible game, this isn’t a mainstream entry for GT, just a hardcore online focussed game. Had some of the most competitive moments in online gaming playing this game. Really good worldwide following for this game, and the manufacturer support is unreal (GT visions etc)

What's people's experience with this on PS5? I tried but couldn't play it on ps4 pro because of all the lag in the menus.

And I'm kinda hooked on Forza horizon 4 because it's different.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What's people's experience with this on PS5? I tried but couldn't play it on ps4 pro because of all the lag in the menus.

And I'm kinda hooked on Forza horizon 4 because it's different.
It is very good on PS4... not lag in menu... it is weird to have this issue on PS4 Pro.

Thinking a bit more about the menu has online features in background... is not your internet making it lag?

It is very good on PS4... not lag in menu... it is weird to have this issue on PS4 Pro.

Thinking a bit more about the menu has online features in background... is not your internet making it lag?
My internet is fine. It's just switching in menus it takes forever to load new ones. I'm impatient these days.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Is this the biggest sim car community?

iRacing is huge i dunno about that

Oq3iIKS.png

Last edited:

FrankWza

My internet is fine. It's just switching in menus it takes forever to load new ones. I'm impatient these days.
This has been a GT issue since GT4 at least. That was helped by using HD loader and install. GT5 and GT6 and sport you needed to install SSD to see improvement and they were pretty much a necessity. I haven’t installed GTS on PS5 but it’s gotta be as fast as GTS on PS4 with an SSD.

FrankWza

Didn't even hear about that game. Also both aren't even 1 million here.
Iracing is pretty big and is definitely the most enthusiast related. More compatible with full rigs and settings can be changed and maxed out since it’s pc. GT has always been enough for me though.

ZywyPL

Banned
[...] and it seemed that the understanding gradually progressed and the support increased over the three year”.

That's because they kept shutting down the servers for older GT's, where a shit-ton, and I do mean shit-ton of people were playing their leagues due to waaay more cars and tracks to choose from, if only they could keep playing GT5 to this day they would never bother with GT6, let alone GTS. But it is what it is, PD got away with this practice the first time, so naturally they also got away the second time as well, and the numbers keep adding up despite people's dissatisfaction. But hey, given how castrated GTS is, I think no one will ever mind jumping on GT7 as soon as it shows up.

Three

That's because they kept shutting down the servers for older GT's, where a shit-ton, and I do mean shit-ton of people were playing their leagues due to waaay more cars and tracks to choose from, if only they could keep playing GT5 to this day they would never bother with GT6, let alone GTS. But it is what it is, PD got away with this practice the first time, so naturally they also got away the second time as well, and the numbers keep adding up despite people's dissatisfaction. But hey, given how castrated GTS is, I think no one will ever mind jumping on GT7 as soon as it shows up.
This doesn't make sense because GT5 servers were closed way before GTS release and GT6 was closed 6 months after. It wouldn’t take 3 years. GT is just an evergreen title.

perkelson

users lol.

They used to boast with their sales on polyphony site but since GTS came out they compoletely removed that. I wonder why.

That being said getting 9,5 mln people to play your racing game on system that has barely any racing games and it is supposed to be AAA exclusive and system seller it is definitely achievement. "How mighty have fallen" achievement.

Hope with GT7 they will get back to business but i doubt that with Kaz at the helm of their ship. Dude is more interested in spending time giving blowjobs to manufactuterers and spending time on various car festivals than actually developing game to heave meaningful content.

GT series used to be king of content that was its main selling point. It it had wheels it probably was in GT. Here is quick comparison:

Single PS4 console generation:
- GTS - Around 65-75 original cars for total of 150 variations, game released YEARS after PS4 launch

- Forza 5 - 140 original cars - released half a year after console launch
- Forza 6 - 460 cars
- Forza 7 - 700+ cars and with DLCs and free car packs 1000+

Forza 7 DLCs had more cars than GTS had cars in total.

GTS has its ups like online being great but aside from that is barely fraction of real GT game.

And the future:

- Forza team took extra 2 years to make FM8. They also completely overhauled engine and each model will be completely new from scratch. It will be released this year. It should have been released last year but apparently they had covid issues and decided for extra 1 year.
- GT7 is only rumored to come out this year. 2022 ? 2023 ? 2024 ? No one fucking knows. Polyphony released on GT6 fairly quickly which was basically patch for GT5 and got shat on by fans for that. We already know by trailers it will reuse GTS assets from PS4.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
users lol.

They used to boast with their sales on polyphony site but since GTS came out they compoletely removed that. I wonder why.

That being said getting 9,5 mln people to play your racing game on system that has barely any racing games and it is supposed to be AAA exclusive and system seller it is definitely achievement. "How mighty have fallen" achievement.

Hope with GT7 they will get back to business but i doubt that with Kaz at the helm of their ship. Dude is more interested in spending time giving blowjobs to manufactuterers and spending time on various car festivals than actually developing game to heave meaningful content.

GT series used to be king of content that was its main selling point. It it had wheels it probably was in GT. Here is quick comparison:

- GTS - Around 65-75 original cars for total of 150 variations, game released YEARS after PS4 launch

- Forza 6 - 460 cars

GTS has its ups like online being great but aside from that is barely fraction of real GT game.

And the future:

- Forza team took extra 2 years to make FM8. They also completely overhauled engine and each model will be completely new from scratch. It will be released this year. It should have been released last year but apparently they had covid issues and decided for extra 1 year.
- GT7 is only rumored to come out this year. 2022 ? 2023 ? 2024 ? No one fucking knows. Polyphony released on GT6 fairly quickly which was basically patch for GT5 and got shat on by fans for that. We already know by trailers it will reuse GTS assets from PS4.
Yet nobody plays FM7.

GHG

It is the best online simracer in consoles, period. And of course gives a run for its money to iRacing, taking into account pricing models and everything.

As someone who just dumped $40 into buying another 3 tracks on iracing for this weeks races I agree.

It's a structure that needs to be widely adopted across all racing games that intend to have any sort of competition structure.

The biggest flaw was the fact that they don't have enough weekly races, 3 is not enough. They should just emulate the iracing schedule and have hourly races for each category of car, with tracks rotating weekly spanning across 12 weeks (doesn't have to be 12 weeks but they should release the schedule beforehand). That way people can pick the cars they want to race in, practice and become competitive in them.

It would also be nice to have some endurance races over the weekend once a month or something.

John Wick

users lol.

- Forza 6 - 460 cars

And the future:

FM8 will be released this year? If that's the case why did they just put out a CG video of the game at the SX game reveals?

perkelson

I want to get a racing wheel but I want a good one but I don't want to spend $500+ on something I might use once and awhile

Well the first question would be: What is your platform ? Xbox ? Then you need to buy xbox branded wheels. PS4 ? you need to check compatibility before you buy.

Imho get G29. It is cheapest good wheel that gives you 97% of best wheel experience. There are version for both xbox and PS4 but they are not cross comp. Either of them will work with PC.

Yet nobody plays FM7.

Great argument. League of Legends is best racing game according to that logic.

If you want actual arguments for GTS:

- better online
- better wheel support
- slightly better graphics

And i played shitload of GTS when i had ps4 on my t300 wheel.

FM8 will be released this year? If that's the case why did they just put out a CG video of the game at the SX game reveals?

Every FM game was released every 2 years. FM8 is different because they wanted extra year to get game on next gen launch and to be showcase of next gen graphics. It was already tight shedule because they reworked their engine and had to do everything from scratch and launch game when next gen hits which by itself is an issue as you develop game on system that is yet to be finalized.

Then covid hits. Turn10 hires outsourcing companies to help them create content like cars and props and this is where covid hit them as some of those nations went into total lockdowns. Thus they needed extra year.

Imho i don't expect more than 150 cars with FM8 and maybe 20 tracks.

ethomaz

Banned
New numbers from PD 14 Million

FLKumoZWQAQzUkx
I'm not sure how it could "drivers" to be fair unless it is old numbers.
There are actually a bit over 15 million PSN accounts registered in GTS.
Maybe they count only accounts that played Sport Mode at least once?

In any case... the sales should be over 10 million at minimum.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I like GTS but find it ironic that people were calling out Forza horizon 5 for having users not sales. can't have it both ways.forza horizon has 15 million players for comparison, with GTS being sim based I would expect less players and GTS still and awesome game today

ethomaz

Banned
I like GTS but find it ironic that people were calling out Forza horizon 5 for having users not sales. can't have it both ways.forza horizon has 15 million players for comparison, with GTS being sim based I would expect less players and GTS still and awesome game today
The basic difference is that GTS doesn't had or have any form of play the game without you have a copy of it.
There is no trial or free weekend... and the Beta is separably from GTS profiles.

Unknown?

Players isn't an impressive metric if it's given out on PS+ or on a subscription service though.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The basic difference is that GTS doesn't had or have any form of play the game without you have a copy of it.
There is no trial or free weekend... and the Beta is separably from GTS profiles.

people lend copies of games, remember the video of how Sony showed how to lend games lol. io have GTS and I game share with my brother in law. so he is counted but hasn't purchased a copy

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
people lend copies of games, remember the video of how Sony showed how to lend games lol. io have GTS and I game share with my brother in law. so he is counted but hasn't purchased a copy
Yeap... lend, second hand seller, family, etc... that all increase the number of players accounts.
But I don't think these ones accounts for several millions.

It is different from a Trial that is open to everybody to try it.

The sales (I mean units of game sold) is probably over 10 million.... perhaps even around 12 million.
It is still lower than GT5 and GT3... the best seller GTs games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom