• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KartRider Drift Beta

Vasto

You can access the Xbox One beta by signing up through the Xbox Insider App. For the PC version you will need to register on the official website.

Start your engines, the June Closed Beta has begun! Whether you're on Nexon Launcher, Steam or Xbox One, all of our Closed Beta participants can start racing! The Closed Beta runs until 6:00 AM PDT on Wednesday, June 10, so you have almost a full week to give it a go and let us know what you think!

Be sure to take a look at the Closed Beta FAQ article if you have any difficulties. We will update it with additional information as needed.

JUNE CLOSED BETA PERIOD:
  • PDT (UTC -7): 4:00 PM Wednesday, June 3 - 6:00 AM Wednesday, June 10
  • EDT (UTC -4): 7:00 PM Wednesday, June 3 - 9:00 AM Wednesday, June 10
  • CEST (UTC +2): 1:00 AM Thursday, June 4 - 3:00 PM Wednesday, June 10
  • AEST (UTC +10): 9:00 AM Thursday, June 4 - 11:00 PM Wednesday, June 10

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I saw an Xbox exec talking about this game on Twitter. Is this Microsoft’s Mario Kart?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
is this like that build you own tracks game on ps3 ?

i forgot the name ..
loved it

for 1 month XD

MiguelItUp

Ah, so the bananas have glasses. That's nothing like Mario Kart!

I mean, if it's good, it's good. I'll keep an eye on it. It would be cool to have a Mario Kart-like on PC. Last I played that I loved was Sonic Racing Transformed. Game was SO good!

Cool kart games are hella fun with the family/kids, especially now my kids are actually getting better at them. Although when you step into that online multiplayer, if it's anything like Mario or CTR, your dreams of being good are about to be crushed big time. It's insane how good some players are with kart games.

jigglet

Banned
Is it hard to get into this beta? I signed up the other day and I didn't get a key. I'm really looking forward to this.

Vasto

Is it hard to get into this beta? I signed up the other day and I didn't get a key. I'm really looking forward to this.

I got in the Xbox One beta by just going into the Xbox Insider App. Also registered for the pc beta but have not gotten a key yet.

Vasto

Just found this and it works.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Just found this and it works.

Thank you! That worked a treat.

jigglet

Banned
Ok I've spent a few hours playing this and my thoughts so far:
  • Make sure you play the drifting tutorial and don't attempt to play anything else until you've passed it. This will force you to learn the instant boost system as there is no way to finish this tutorial without using it properly. You can skip all the other tutorials, but make sure you complete this one. You know when you watch a noob play MK and they don't use drifting properly? That's who you will be if you don't learn to use instant boosts :)
  • The handling is exceptional. It's tight and responsive. The handling is totally different from Mario Kart though, and I've read opinions from people who didn't like this game cause it didn't handle like MK...which I think is weird, don't you want to try something new?
  • Match making is fast, but servers seem to be based in Korea? There's just so much lag. Their original plan to introduce this game to the West fizzled out, and this won't go any better if they don't properly invest in this.
  • The drift system seems solid, but this is the thing I'd like to spend the most amount of time contemplating. It definitely feels better than the boring CTR one, and the watered down system we have in Mario Kart post-MKDS. My thoughts so far is I'm enjoying it, which is what really matters. I have given up on the last few instalments of MK within hours because of how boring the drifting has become, whereas this one still has me itching to play more.
  • Monetisation system: it does not appear to be pay to win, which is great, however the free battlepass tier is extremely short. Although it's hard to be too upset at this as long as it's not P2W.
  • This plays surprisingly well with a keyboard. Movement seems to have been well optimised for digital input. This shouldn't be a surprise though given its Korean origin.
  • There is a NO ITEM mode! This is so good.

Negatives:
  • There's a fucking pop-up ad that appears every time you close the game. Really sours an otherwise positive experience.
  • There appears to be no option to turn off cross-play. But most of the players appear to be either local or Korean so far, so I'm not as worried about hackers (for now).
  • No single player AI mode. I know this game is free to play, but if it had an AI mode I would have happily thrown $60 at this as I love a good single player kart racer.
  • The music WILL get on your nerves. Thankfully there is a way to turn it off and leave the SFX on. Unfortunately there is no way to turn off the SFX of the character while you're on the home screen and it's obnoxious as hell.

Small quality of life issues:

• No ability to re-queue for a new game sucks, some bindings don't stick, load times seem a tad long for such a simple game, frame rate seems to fluctuate quite wildly with a really bad baseline, no push to talk option, limited team mute options, no options to reduce HUD size or remove some HUD elements, no text chat, app does not blink in taskbar when game is about to start, no option to mute sound while alt+tabbed to desktop, there is no speaker icon next to users' when they talk so I don't know who's talking, .

Overall I'm super impressed, but need more time to learn the nuances of the drift system and map design. If this were a paid game it would definitely have me contemplating a pre-order at this stage.

jigglet

Banned
This guy has created a bunch of excellent videos about the drifting system.

In particular, check out the second vid and how much nuance there is to it.

9 minutes worth of tutorials - this is exactly the sort of mechanical depth I've been looking for in a kart racer. After what they did to the MK franchise I may have finally found my replacement. Damn this is exciting.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
This guy has created a bunch of excellent videos about the drifting system.

In particular, check out the second vid and how much nuance there is to it.

9 minutes worth of tutorials - this is exactly the sort of mechanical depth I've been looking for in a kart racer. After what they did to the MK franchise I may have finally found my replacement. Damn this is exciting.

Definitely cool works

jigglet

Banned
Holy shit the controls are bad on PC when using a controller. It was fine with a keyboard, but when you use it on a controller they have literally mapped digital controls to an analogue stick, so you lose all the fine grained controls. If you want to use a controller, definitely stick with Xbox.

Top Bottom