• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamya rage moment about Switch

Pimpbaa

I love the Switch, but he's right. Baffling how much resources it takes. I mean it would have been worth it if it meant minimal ram and cpu resources used by it.

He complains about the switch yet he takes that sweet Nintendo money to make Bayonetta.
I love his games but he can be a dick sometimes. You all know about his blocking thing. Imo, not funny.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
He is right. After all this time they still haven’t updated it. Why are there no folders? Why can’t I order my games like I want to?

kunonabi

Yeah the menu/UI is complete ass. The funny thing though is the Switch doesn't actually do anything well. It's just the concept of the thing is so perfect that it gets a pass on everything else.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the menu/UI is complete ass. The funny thing though is the Switch doesn't actually do anything well. It's just the concept of the thing is so perfect that it gets a pass on everything else.

What's funny is that in many ways you could consider the minimalistic UI as a feature.

How many times we've heard this gen Xbox users complaining about the UI being too convoluted with so many options most people don't even use? PS4 UI isn't that much better either.

Nintendo's approach isn't wrong here. You buy the system to play games, the UI needs to be as fast as possible to let you access the games quickly.

I hope PS5/XSX will follow the same philosophy: who needs the "smart" features when all modern TVs are already smart and comes with all the apps you need? Just let me remove all the bloatware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
How many times we've heard this gen Xbox users complaining about the UI being too convoluted with so many options most people don't even use? PS4 UI isn't that much better either.

Quite disagree on the latter, especially functionality vs speed and organisation wise. Let alone, I can read the change logs mostly on the UI instead of maybe be notified on an update and guess what may have changed.

Multimedia and especially social features are also a league above on both Xbox One and PS4.

Nintendo's approach isn't wrong here. You buy the system to play games, the UI needs to be as fast as possible to let you access the games quickly.

Lack of folders makes harder not easier to get to the games you want, it is also quite punishing to devs as their games lose important real estate when they get pushed off the main screen into the All Games section.

How do games and gamers benefit from a 720p UI in docked mode?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Quite disagree on the latter, especially functionality vs speed and organisation wise. Let alone, I can read the change logs mostly on the UI instead of maybe be notified on an update and guess what may have changed.

Multimedia and especially social features are also a league above on both Xbox One and PS4.

Lack of folders makes harder not easier to get to the games you want, it is also quite punishing to devs as their games lose important real estate when they get pushed off the main screen into the All Games section.

How do games and gamers benefit from a 720p UI in docked mode?

Multimedia and social features should ALL be optional imo.

Between this gen and the last one we've seen soo many features on both PS and Xbox which are just unnecessary, and they should give the user more option to remove if they don't want all of that.

That's what we've learned this gen with all those complains about "having too many steps before reaching your games", that was especially an Xbox issue but even Playstation UI before the 4.0 update was a bit cluttered.

I do agree that the 720p UI sucks, that's for continuity, to have the same looking UI on both handheld and docked which also helps to improve performance, and i also agree that a folder option would be nice too. I wish Nintendo considers adding more feature rich themes as additional downloads, just in case.

The whole being on the all games category is "punishing for the devs" is some horseshit though. LOL.

The "All games" category is reserved only to the games you play less, and most importantly it helps keeping the home screen clean.

Nintendo explained they specifically didn't want to have the very first home screen to look crowded as it is on other platforms.

Also i've my own theory on why the Switch OS is THAT lightweight and it's about the CPU performance of the Tegra chipset which just hasn't been great on Android with more tasks to handle at the same time, so i guess Nintendo's solution was just to remove all the clutter.

Ryu Kaiba

Imagine blocking everyone that's being nice to you? Imagine complaining about literally everything? What a prick
Don't take it so personally. It's a treasure that he goes off on twitter and treats it like the joke that it is. He exaggerates everything thats his personality.

-MD-

Funny thing is I prefer the Switch's menu over the other consoles lol.

I haven't touched Xbox's shit in like 10 years but PSN is slow as fuck and honestly just garbage.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

I haven't touched Xbox's shit in like 10 years but PSN is slow as fuck and honestly just garbage.
Same, people want streaming service, Netflix, social media or other junk and honestly I have smart TV for that type of stuff fi I need one and these days it harder to find TVs that are not Smart.

My gaming system needs to do one and one thing only and is to play games and if the menus are basic in order to be fast and smooth and easy to get to my games then I welcome it....what else do I need?

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Same, people want streaming service, Netflix, social media or other junk and honestly I have smart TV for that type of stuff fi I need one and these days it harder to find TVs that are not Smart.

My gaming system needs to do one and one thing only and is to play games and if the menus are basic in order to be fast and smooth and easy to get to my games then I welcome it....what else do I need?
I swear people that ask for Netflix just want it because they think it "make sense" to be on their not because they even want to use it. Just whining for whining's sake.

Tigerlord

Gamexplain also covered Kamiya's tweet and gave their opinion on it.
In my opinion, I prefer the faster, uncluttered menu of the Switch.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I would not mind a bigger game grid, theme and menu song. Why not miiverse... make the switch feel online God damnit

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Kamiya can fuck off. He's always complaining and shitting on everything like if he's the superior
Based. Doesn't help he hasn't REALLY made shit in years. INB4 BUT HE WAS A SUPERVISOR!!! No fuck OFFFFFFF!
The Switch is garbage, he is correct.

AxLGfkW.png

ml3NQVk.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Cannot believe people are white-knighting a menu's honor.... you guys take this shit way too seriously!

Mista

Banned
Cannot believe people are white-knighting a menu's honor.... you guys take this shit way too seriously!
It’s not about that, it’s about how you could’ve said it better without sounding like a cunt. But an asshole will always be an asshole

I don't know how much of an impact it'd make on the Switch OS but one of the things I liked about both the PS360 and the Vita is their ability to store and play back mp3s as custom soundtracks.

On 360 it's completely uninhibited AFAIK meaning you could play it in any game, even those that don't have a music volume slider and the music would get muted and your own music would play, unless it's a prerendered cutscene. PS3 had the most limitations and Vita is in between the two IIRC.

I'm mentioning this because if the Switch could do it, I would be pretty happy. Though I reckon Nintendo doesn't want their game's music to be replaced so to speak, majority of them don't even let you turn the music off.

SALMORE

i think he knows that Nintendo will change it in the rumored upcoming OS update , that's why he said it

Pallas

Gold Member
He’s not wrong but there’s obviously a reason why the Switch has a strip down, lightweight OS. He could be less of an ass about it though.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
He’s not wrong but there’s obviously a reason why the Switch has a strip down, lightweight OS. He could be less of an ass about it though.

What is the reason considering how much faster than PS Vita the Switch is and how much more RAM it has and PS Vita OS is just as fast if not faster and more fully featured?

What is the reason the UI renders in 720p even when the system is docked (such a pleasure on a 1080p LCD let alone a 4K TV)?

lyan

He is not saying it should have fancy animations and features, why are people talking about simplicity lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Multimedia and social features should ALL be optional imo.
Ok you can choose not to use them, Nintendo chooses not to even give you. The choice.

Between this gen and the last one we've seen soo many features on both PS and Xbox which are just unnecessary, and they should give the user more option to remove if they don't want all of that.

That's what we've learned this gen with all those complains about "having too many steps before reaching your games", that was especially an Xbox issue but even Playstation UI before the 4.0 update was a bit cluttered.

I can understand your desire to reduce clutter, but even before the 4.0 update the PS4 UI was fine (it could be even faster had they not gone for more and more HTML5/WebGL based UI though). I think social and multimedia features, like streaming and sharing, get a LOT of use on PS4 for example.

I do agree that the 720p UI sucks, that's for continuity, to have the same looking UI on both handheld and docked
Why would the layout change? I do not get that... the system still has to “switch” between docked and handheld modes anyways... switching the home UI resolution just as games so far worse when you undock them.

which also helps to improve performance
How does it non trivially improve performance? The system can breeze through some 1080p games at 60 FPS and rendering that OS UI at 1080p would be a problem now (the HW is fast and we are dealing with static UI elements with list views and grid views of static images as the biggest components)?

I will give you that they “may” have to use
higher resolution assets for the game tiles and thus it would require a bit more work to swap between game and system UI.

The whole being on the all games category is "punishing for the devs" is some horseshit though. LOL.

The "All games" category is reserved only to the games you play less, and most importantly it helps keeping the home screen clean.
If you install a new game, automatically on the eShop maybe from your mobile as you downloaded a few demos or whatever, if a game gets updated the game gets put in the main screen and pushes the other ones down.

Last edited:

vkbest

lol. Psn is several times faster to loading than eshop on Switch. Psn is shit, but eshop is even worse

Pallas

Gold Member
What is the reason considering how much faster than PS Vita the Switch is and how much more RAM it has and PS Vita OS is just as fast if not faster and more fully featured?

What is the reason the UI renders in 720p even when the system is docked (such a pleasure on a 1080p LCD let alone a 4K TV)?

The reason? Not to have a sluggish, slow and heavy OS/UI. Which is probably because of the weak CPU and low RAM(with 1GB dedicated to the OS I believe)of the Switch. Sure they could have added a ton of shit but we would be having a thread asking why they did that.

I don’t know how the Vita was,I do know it had 512MB’s of RAM(But saw that later models might have been reduced to 2 compared to Switch’s 4GB of RAM(3 of it dedicated to games)

you’d have to ask someone who has had extensive experience with both.

-MD-

lol. Psn is several times faster to loading than eshop on Switch. Psn is shit, but eshop is even worse

Nintendo's shit loads instantly for me, PSN takes like 15+ seconds and has for like the past decade.

I just used PSN earlier for the first time in a long time and it's just so fucking sluggish it's disgusting.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nintendo's shit loads instantly for me, PSN takes like 15+ seconds and has for like the past decade.

I just used PSN earlier for the first time in a long time and it's just so fucking sluggish it's disgusting.
I figured out a trick for the slow as ass psn store. (Recently got a pro)

Go to internet settings. (Test connection)
Now the psn shop loads normally.
I kid you not this works always.

I do it every time i load the fing psn store. After playing for a while.

At least the eshop loads on switch.
That UI tho.
Wtf xD

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The reason? Not to have a sluggish, slow and heavy OS/UI. Which is probably because of the weak CPU and low RAM(with 1GB dedicated to the OS I believe)of the Switch.

The Switch system has a lot more RAM than Vita (4 GB vs 0.5 GB of total main RAM [...and 128 MB of dedicated VRAM for PS Vita]) and a LOT faster / monster CPU by comparison (4 Cortex A57 at a base clock of 1 GHz vs 4 Cortex A9 at base clock of 333 MHz, Cortex A57 is a 64 bit wide architecture from 2013 and the A9 is a 32 bit much narrower 2007 design).

The Switch should run so many circles around PS Vita to make the latter dizzy especially in docked mode where it is not running under clocked. You seem not to have much faith in their OS developer if you really think that anything more complex OS GUI wise would slow the system down to a crawl.
I should be able to expect Switch to run the same level of layout complexity, features, and speed as PS Vita or much much better actually: yes, I do appreciate there must be a small browser runtime loaded and some memory dedicated to video and screenshots capturing.
Also, the Switch has well over 2x the RAM dedicated to the OS than PS Vita (PS Vita dedicates a fraction of its 512 MB of RAM to the OS while Switch has “shrunk” its dedicated OS RAM reservation to 1 GB).

Having docked Switch OS display its UI in 720p max when games can render MUCH more complex scenes at 1080p is also Again very puzzling. They should have plenty of memory and render time headroom to render the UI in 1080p at 60 Hz without much additional latency in transitions (if at all really, the UI is really really straightforward, static, and uses very few resources memory wise).

References:
* Switch: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....talfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis
* PS Vita: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/psvita/system/system-specs/
* PS Vita clock speed: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/47804/sony-underclocked-ps-vitas-cpu-frequency-444mhz/amp.html
* A57 vs A9: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ARM_cores?wprov=sfti1
* Cortex A9: http://meseec.ce.rit.edu/551-projects/spring2013/2-2.pdf
* Cortex A57: https://www.anandtech.com/show/8718/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-exynos-review/5

Last edited:
Top Bottom