• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

CyberPanda

Banned
HyunA almost had a major wardrobe malfunction the other day it seems:
Hyuna-2.gif
😂 I bet it was intentional. Just to get the Korean press talking. She’s had so many scandals over the years.

Boss Mog

Sad what happened to BI, talented guy. Funny how YG terminated his contract immediately while they didn't for GD and TOP who also did drugs. I really liked "Love Scenario". Very chill song.

giphy.gif

Boss Mog

YG actually resigned, Han Seohee involved yet again; this is better than any K-Drama. I bet Somi's parents regret her leaving JYP for YG; her song sucks btw.

Boss Mog

"Birthday" is terrible but I'll watch this any day:

This should've been her title track:

Speaking of terrible, "Zimzalabim" is beyond terrible. They tried to do an IGAB for Red Velvet but failed miserably. Red Velvet's summer comebacks are like the only thing I like about summer, but I guess I'll just re-listen to "Red Flavor" this year.

EDIT: After re-listening to Zimzalabim and watching a few music show stages, it's not as awful as I thought it was, the chorus is still awful obviously, but the rest is alright I guess.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Perhaps not quite as good as "Gotta Go" but another fantastic track from Chung Ha, she keeps knocking it out of the park:

She guested on Running Man apparently, I'll have to watch that:

Last edited:

Boss Mog

New (G)I-DLE dropped. I would say it's their weakest track so far but when you had nothing but top notch songs since debut, you're bound to have a weaker one at some point. They look really good though. I wasn't sure if they were gonna be promoting it on music shows since it's a digital single but they had a showcase so maybe they will promote it.

Bonus 4K choreo medley vid:

Boss Mog

I just realized the 10th anniversary of Genie was a couple weeks ago. The song that cemented my love of kpop and legs.

Rose Upshur

Neo Member
I noticed that girl groups in Korea are much worse not in terms of gender distinction, but in terms of choreography and songs. The girls do not know how to move normally, they sing primitive songs, but they have a pretty face. Agencies earn them as cannon fodder.

Boss Mog

I noticed that girl groups in Korea are much worse not in terms of gender distinction, but in terms of choreography and songs. The girls do not know how to move normally, they sing primitive songs, but they have a pretty face. Agencies earn them as cannon fodder.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here and frankly whatever it is it sounds like ill-informed non-sense. Choreography is bad? As opposed to what? Western girl group choreographies? Yeah , no they're virtually non-existent. Compared to male Kpop choreographies? Well if that's your argument you'd have a little bit of a point since male choreos are generally more elaborate, especially in regards to footwork, but that's because the girls often have to perform in heels. They don't know how to move normally, wtf does that even mean? Sing primitive songs? Again wtf does that even mean. I seriously hope for you that English isn't your first language. In terms of pop songs, Kpop songs are often better than today's western pop songs, it's just a fact. While the girls are pretty, that doesn't mean they aren't talented. many Kpop girl group members are very strong vocalists, others are top dancers, they train hard for years before debuting.

Last edited:

broz0rs

You joined NeoGAF just to write this? :messenger_poop:

In birthday news, Taemin celebrated his 26th birthday on the 18th.

And Lucifer is nine years old today!

I still love the Lucifer album.

Back to 2019, and I've been watching a lot of (G)I-DLE Uh-Oh performances. Soyeon is of course fantastic in every performance and the other members have been improving in confidence with every stage, which I love to see.

Holgren

Sorry for two posts in a row but I just discovered Breakthrough and have been listening to it on a loop for like 3 hours omg i love Twice so much

So I guess all K-pop fans have heard about SM's attempt to beat BTS's success by now.

I am beyond annoyed. SHINee or even EXO should have gotten this huge push years ago. This new group can (mostly) dance but they will never be able to have SHINee's harmonies or on-stage dynamic. And I hate the fact that I will never ever get the opportunity to see this live.

Sorry, I needed to vent.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

So I guess all K-pop fans have heard about SM's attempt to beat BTS's success by now.

I am beyond annoyed. SHINee or even EXO should have gotten this huge push years ago. This new group can (mostly) dance but they will never be able to have SHINee's harmonies or on-stage dynamic. And I hate the fact that I will never ever get the opportunity to see this live.

Sorry, I needed to vent.

SM is desperately trying to make NCT relevant but nobody is drinking the Kool-Aid. They definitely should've pushed EXO in the West when BTS was starting to gain Western traction, like in 2016. "Monster" could have done really well in the West I think. Probably their best song if you ask me. I think the main obstacles are that nobody in EXO speaks English well and SM probably remember 2012 when they tried to push SNSD in the US and it failed. It was very important for K-Pop and definitely paved the way for BTS and BLACKPINK, but still regarded as a failure in SM's eyes. The worst part is that SNSD had two American members and actually sang an English version of their song and still wasn't enough to make it in the West. They were ahead of their time for that sadly, K-Pop just wasn't quite there yet in 2012 in the West.

SM is desperately trying to make NCT relevant but nobody is drinking the Kool-Aid. They definitely should've pushed EXO in the West when BTS was starting to gain Western traction, like in 2016. "Monster" could have done really well in the West I think. Probably their best song if you ask me. I think the main obstacles are that nobody in EXO speaks English well and SM probably remember 2012 when they tried to push SNSD in the US and it failed. It was very important for K-Pop and definitely paved the way for BTS and BLACKPINK, but still regarded as a failure in SM's eyes. The worst part is that SNSD had two American members and actually sang an English version of their song and still wasn't enough to make it in the West. They were ahead of their time for that sadly, K-Pop just wasn't quite there yet in 2012 in the West.

SM didn't try enough with SNSD. They thought that one English-languge song and two tv appearances would be enough to make it in the US. When it failed, they sulked and didn't try harder as they should have.

I wonder about SuperM's English skills. I think only Mark is fluent as he's Canadian? Taemin and the others could learn/improve their English the same way they've learnt other languages but that takes time. This was Taemin's level of English last year.

CLC comeback next week!! I love their concepts and sound so really looking forward to this.

SM has finally put SHINee's 2008-2010 albums on Spotify. Crazy to think that only now can you listen to the album version of Lucifer there. It's still missing one of their best songs though.

Last edited:

haadim

This is a earworm.

Debut song 'BIM BAM BUM' by Rocket Punch featuring Juri Takahashi of AKB48 fame.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

This is a earworm.

Debut song 'BIM BAM BUM' by Rocket Punch featuring Juri Takahashi of AKB48 fame.

Decent debut song for sure, but my favorite girl group debut so far this year has to go to Everglow, which also includes Produce 48 contestants as members.

They just made their first comeback a few weeks ago and the video already has 53M+ views. That's pretty insane for a new group that's not from a big company. I mean IZ*ONE's "Violeta" only has 47M views and it's been out since April.

It mixes hip-hop, EDM and this sort eastern European folk music. It's a shame that they had to cancel their KCON LA appearance, that would've given them a lot of additional exposure. Sadly it's pretty much a given that ITZY is going to win all the "rookie girl group of year" awards come year's end but honestly they're pretty good too so I can live with it.

I'm glad "Zimzalabim" wasn't Red Velvet's actual Summer Track. "Umpah Umpah" is much better. There's a should be another comeback relatively soon since they said there were 3 days in The ReVe Festival. I'm hoping Day 3 will be a velvet track that can rival "Bad Boy" or "Peek-A-Boo".

I could use comebacks from IZ*ONE and Dreamcatcher, it's been a while for both. Both are releasing Japanese tracks right now though so I'm not expecting anything soon, but hopefully before year's end. Twice is coming back in 2 weeks; I saw that their mini album will have a Korean version of "Breakthrough" which is cool, I like that song. Shame about Sana's blond hair though. I mean she still looks great but darker hair suits her more.
yewilulo3pl31.jpg

Last edited:

haadim

Right. Everglow title tracks are surprisingly catchy too.
They have strong producing team ... .... both chocolat and adios have that certain energy that is missing from alot of current girlgroup songs
Also their other album tracks are no slouchs either

Boss Mog

Been enjoying Queendom. They had the artists do covers of the other artists and it was pretty cool.

AOA doing MAMAMOO's Egotistic:

MAMAMOO doing AOA's Good Luck:

Park Bom doing (G)I-DLE's HANN

Boss Mog

I heard that Suzy was gonna be in a new drama with Lee Seung Gi called Vagabond and I was planning to keep any eye out for it. Turns out it's a Netflix drama and the first two episodes are up. I watched the first one and it was pretty good. They have that Netflix money, so the stunts and special effects are pretty nice for a K-drama.

EDIT: Trailer with more Suzy in it:

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Everglow got their first ever win on The Show today. I know The Show almost doesn't count but still, grats to the girls and good job on the live encore. The only downside is that their win came at the expense of Dreamcatcher who are also looking for their first ever win, which in my opinion is a huge travesty. They should've had wins for "YOU & I", "What" and "PIRI" at the very least.

Boss Mog

It was raining earlier and this track I really like but rarely listen to came on my random playlist

RiSe and EunB, 5 years this month...

Boss Mog

I'm not a really big Twice fan but I'm really digging "Feel Special". Great choreo too. A shame Mina isn't promoting though. Also Momo should never have bangs ever again, she looks so much better without them here.

Some 4K music show fancams:

full group

best girl Sana

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I stan Dreamcatcher.
They're such a great group and their rock concept is unique among kpop girl groups. They really stand out. Their choreos are always great and they're always on point while performing them. If you watch this guy's stage mixes of them some times your eyes miss the transition. I mean this guy is one of the best I think when it comes to seemless transitions but with Dreamcatcher they seem extra seemless.

Boss Mog

Taeyeon is on this JTBC show where she and some other musicians went busking in Germany. I'm so jealous of the people that were there, almost all of them probably didn't know they were in front of kpop royalty.

She did "11:11" (CC for subs)

She also did a cover of Adele's "When We Were Young"

Her voice is just so soothing to me.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

TWICE are done promoting "Feel Special" on music shows after just 2 weeks it seems :messenger_loudly_crying:. Their last stage was on yesterday's Inkigayo

The camera man was obviously forced to focus on Sana at the end cause she was just too hot (despite the pink hair of which I'm not a fan of). She's the thumbnail too, SBS knows what's up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom