• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Justice League' reshoots extensive; Up: Cavill comments on 'stache

ZeoVGM

Banned
I said it in the other thread but yeah he's screwed either way. It fails and Joss just couldn't right a sinking ship and if it's good then wow Joss really turned it around.

Unfortunately, that specific reaction falls squarely on Snyder himself due to his history of films.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
guys its okay, nothing to worry about, digital stache removal tech improves every year.
LOMYmvs.gif

I'd be happy if soupstache is allowed to stay though.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Interesting.

I imagined reshoots were inevitable, but with a director change, I also imagined that scheduling would be a bitch. These actors have lives and projects outside of any one movie, so it was bound to be messy once things went on longer than intended.

I'm not the biggest Whedon fan, but I think he'll do his best to make the film more cohesive. That new trailer made it look like a completely different movie from the previous trailers we had. I'm curious as to how much of the film is being reworked. If Whedon isn't getting a director's credit (unless I read that part wrong), then his contributions are looking less than 40%. I swore I read that if a director contributes 40+% to a project, they get a co-director credit?

I'm very curious to see how this turns out. I hated Man of Steel, and BvS, and Suicide Squad was mediocre (and a waste of a talented cast), but I absolutely loved Wonder Woman, and am eager to see more of her in JL. The new trailer had a humorous focus on her, which isn't a bad thing. I think Wonder Woman is going to be the new face of the DCEU going forward. Not like I can blame them. Her movie was a lot of fun, and will be the first DCEU movie I buy when it releases.

Interesting.

I imagined reshoots were inevitable, but with a director change, I also imagined that scheduling would be a bitch. These actors have lives and projects outside of any one movie, so it was bound to be messy once things went on longer than intended.

I'm not the biggest Whedon fan, but I think he'll do his best to make the film more cohesive. That new trailer made it look like a completely different movie from the previous trailers we had. I'm curious as to how much of the film is being reworked. If Whedon isn't getting a director's credit (unless I read that part wrong), then his contributions are looking less than 40%. I swore I read that if a director contributes 40+% to a project, they get a co-director credit?
I think Whedon is probably going to get a screenwriting or producing credit.

If Whedon isn't getting a director's credit (unless I read that part wrong), then his contributions are looking less than 40%. I swore I read that if a director contributes 40+% to a project, they get a co-director credit?

I think that's the WGA standard for screen writing credit.

The Director's Guild HATES to give co-credit unless it's by a pre-established team (Russos, Wachowskis, Coens). I honestly think Synder would have to basically beg the DGA to give Whedon co-directing credit.

Tobor

It's excellent that Whedon will fix the dialogue and now we'll be able to follow the plot.

It's too bad he can't fix the worst problems with the movie. The Flash is still all kinds of wrong and Cyborg has no business being in this movie at all.

But hey, at least the movie will make sense now!

Cuburt

I know people don't like to hear it, but between Snyder having to leave the film months ago and having Whedon take over and the original claims that there would be 2 months of reshoots being confirmed here, I think that original rumor sounded pretty accurate.

I think everyone is quick to try to debunk any rumor of reshoots just due to the perception that the film production is in trouble, but that leads to some pretty equally overeager attempts to accept the studio PR statement as fact, discrediting sources, and writing it off as simple gossip and intentional false or misleading stories to create bad PR. If we can all agree reshoots don't necessarily mean the film will be bad, why are people so anxious to prove it's false?

So first of all, the producer who "debunked" the original rumor of reshoots said,
“We haven’t done any additional photography up to this point,” Roven said. “Since we’ve wrapped, there’s been no additional photography."
He also said
“We’re just in the post-production process. That’s where we are. We’re in the middle of it, and I think it’s pretty common knowledge that we’re going to be doing some additional photography. The complications of trying to, you know—Henry [Cavill]’s on Mission: Impossible, and our Aquaman is making Aquaman, Amy [Adams]’s doing Sharper Objects [sic]—so everybody’s busy, and it’s that crazy Rubix cube of trying to find a way of getting everybody in the place to do the work that we need to do. Which is not that vast, the amount of work that we have to do, but it’s still really complicated that everybody’s in different places around the world.”
The only thing is that if they have planned pick-up shots, which they had said they have planned for early summer they would have planned for those to be at a time when all the actors are free. The conflicts are likely because the reshoot are going longer, into time that conflicts with other schedules/filming for the actors' other movies. Like this article says, reshoots/pick ups are typically only a couple weeks, but this is going on 2 months, which verified that time period and location (London) claimed by this report on reshoots being done by Whedon.

This all goes back to the original rumor by splashreport that people said was proven false, but let's look closer at their claims:
Speaking on a condition of anonymity, they said that in the 17 months between the start of principal photography and the final cut arriving in theaters in November that the film will have essentially been “remade…twice.”
This is the bulk of the quote from the anonymous source (which they said also told them about Affleck going to rehab for the actor himself went public with it and told them about the scope of the Rogue One reshoots) and it doesn't say the film had been remade twice at that point, it says that from the start of principal photography to when it releases, it will have been remade twice. From what we know, that sounds like it could end up an accurate description: following the reception of BvS we've heard reports of them reworking the film to add more levity and delaying Justice League part 2 (which seems to have been a straight up cancellation from what we just saw of the upcoming DC film slate, unless it's planning to be reworked into the Flashpoint movie or something), which meant some reshoots and rewrites on set during principal photography. Now maybe there is something I missed about who was brought in to help with all that, but it seems like (via Variety) Whedon was brought on prior to Snyder leaving to help plan for those 2 month reshoots. It's possible that Whedon had already been brought on to help with adding levity during the shoot and since he was already working with Snyder, he was in the position to fully take over when he had to step away. I see the "remade 2 times" quote meaning the first remaking of the film was a hatchet job done to cut elements that they no longer wanted as well as on-set dialog rewrites, but then it became clear that they really had to do the bulk of the changes in pickups which ballooned reshoots to 2 months to rework the film from it's original incarnation. So it was already in a state of flux when Snyder left, but they couldn't change it significantly at the time, at least outside of big set pieces they decided they needed or didn't. They were working with Whedon to course correct to a slightly different direction, but Snyder had to step away so while most of the principal photography had been done at that point, the film wasn't finished and without Snyder, it was left to Whedon to not just tighten up the film, but to pull it altogether, which is why there is apparently question about his credit since he's doing significant work with connective tissue, even if the principal photography is finished.

Now, that's not to say this is just "normal" filmmaking or that this is a "disaster" and the film will end up bad, the circumstances are pretty extraordinary even if they didn't have to attempt to reevaluate the tone of the film based on BvS, but I don't think this is nothing. Personally, I think it might end up interesting, especially since I think with Whedon's writing and ability for juggling characters combined with Snyder's eye for visuals and action, in more ideal circumstances for that collaboration, it could produce a really awesome film, but as it is now, they aren't out of the woods yet.

These reshoots are normal, but they're already being blown out of proportion in this thread, and it's pretty generally accepted that Suicide Squad got torn up in the editing room and with the script. Reshoots had nothing to do with it.

I mean, these reshoots aren't normal. The article points that out directly. Reshoots are normal. These are longer and more expensive.

That said, it doesn't have to be a problem. Whedon is doing what he's there to do. This is the kind of thing you expect when you trade in directors.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
As with Fant4stic, the production of this mess sounds like it will be far more interesting than the film itself.

What has been a mess thus far? It feels kinda fucked up to say him having to step down because of his daughter's passing is a 'mess', and other than that, it's Whedon doing these re-shots which isn't a mess at all. It's not at all like what happened with Fantastic 4.

Boke1879

Reshoots were always going to happen. These were planned. Whedon was going to help Snyder with character moments and dialogue. Snyder stepped down so Whedon is now doing the directing on these as well.

Yes they are longer, but it's Whedon doing what was always going to be done imo. Or maybe he's adding a bit more as well.

Do what you need to do, Joss.

"Like 'The Avengers', 'Justice League' is about..."

Never thought I'd read that sentence as is, in that order. What a time.

Snaku

Banned
Who cares, do what you gotta do to make a good movie. Rogue One is one of my favorite Star Wars films, and that was almost completely reshot. Don't care how many chefs it takes to make me a tasty meal.

Lokimaru

Well they pretended like Snyder had no hand in WW so...

If that's the price to pay for DCEU to get some peace, I guess Snyder is the hero we needed but didn't deserve.

As for the reshoots, they're meant to make the movie better, after they received some reviews from their screenings, so they're putting their money into the project and try to improve its shortcomings.

I also don't think they have much action sequences planned for those reshoots, sounds more like character scenes and "flow" than set piece. So the CG should be fine, outside of this mustache disaster.

Hopefully this time around they had the right people giving them the good feedback. Because whoever was fine with BvS needs to be fired forever.

No the person who chose to cut 30min out BvS needs to be fired forever. I mean how do you give a standing ovation at a screening of the complete movie then say cut it down?

Cuburt

Reshoots were always going to happen. These were planned. Whedon was going to help Snyder with character moments and dialogue. Snyder stepped down so Whedon is now doing the directing on these as well.

Yes they are longer, but it's Whedon doing what was always going to be done imo. Or maybe he's adding a bit more as well.

From what I understand, they were planned a few months ago when Snyder was still involved, but they weren't always planned, not even close.

If something close to two months of pick ups was always in the plan, they would have planned to have the actors schedules not conflict as much. They would have planned to shoot most of it during principal photography.

It doesn't mean the film will end up as a disaster, but this isn't normal procedure.

ZeoVGM

Banned
No the person who chose to cut 30min out BvS needs to be fired forever. I mean how do you give a standing ovation at a screening of the complete movie then say cut it down?

Is the "standing ovation" the director's cut that was released?

Because that was still crap.

Santar

The mustache part just seems insane.
Instead of just using a false mustache, a technique that's been used in movies since forever and looks real, they now have to digitally recreate a part of Cavill's face?!
And that's not a small mustache either, really hope this doesn't show in the finished movie.

Spaghetti

These films don't need much plot. Avengers was literally "stop bad guy using object."
You would be surprised how easy it is to fuck up something simple.

That said, BvS' plot problems were largely rooted in character motivations and actions so as long as Whedon has got a firm grasp on that stuff when reshooting this "connective tissue", then hopefully the film will be leagues (geddit?) more coherent than BvS.

Top Bottom