• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Justice League' reshoots extensive; Up: Cavill comments on 'stache

gabbo

So basically it sounds like Snyder's version of the movie was a mess and Whedon is going to be fixing it up, and not getting a big payday or much official credit for it.
The quote in the OP says the exact opposite of this in terms of what Whedon is getting.

Sounds like it'll have witty banter between ridiculous fights

tomtom94

These reshoots are normal, but they're already being blown out of proportion in this thread, and it's pretty generally accepted that Suicide Squad got torn up in the editing room and with the script. Reshoots had nothing to do with it.
They're not normal. The article points out that WB are using more money and more time than usual. And the Suicide Squad reshoots were evidence that the film had deep-seated problems, despite Ayer's bluster.

I burst out laughing at having to digitally remove a mustache. That's as insane to me as using CGI to open Wesley Snipes eyes during a scene for Blade Trinity.

Digitially erasing facial hair. That's a new one for me. Here's hoping things turn out for the best.

I've seen worse

CDEnIC6.gif

jackdoe

The most ridiculous part of the article is that Paramount wouldn't let Cavill use a prosthetic moustache forcing WB to spend a stupid amount of money CGIng it out.

I'm disappointed Synder couldn't finish this. Even if it led to another trash heap I'd rather have his completed vision than a compromised movie. Course it's easy to say that when I'm not really invested in DC and my money isn't involved. =P

I'm not sure a lot of people are actually comprehending what this article is about. I don't understand how one would think this is evidence that the movie is a mess based on this article.

strafer

man, now I will think about is that digitally erased mustache...it will not work out well for me. I wish they didnt say anything about that.

:(

Movie ruined for me.

Harmen

I think Josh Whedon is pretty good at determining what a film needs for a coherent plot. Even in the bloated Age of Ultron, most if not all scenes served a purpose in it's narrative, even Thor's not well executed subplot (which led to him aiding the creation of Vision). If Whedon has a clear vision of what this story needs to not be a mess, I think it can turn out fine or even better than it was going to be initially.

Dalek

I'm not sure a lot of people are actually comprehending what this article is about. I don't understand how one would think this is evidence that the movie is a mess based on this article.

If anything I think these reshoots are a good thing. It's just talking about how it's problematic to schedule them all.

From what I've been hearing from my friends in the movie business is that basically anything that isn't an effects heavy action scene is being replaced and the scenes that aren't getting replaced are getting punched up. I hope this ends up with a better film and films afterwards. I have a lot of faith in the people working on this but I'm concerned.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I burst out laughing at having to digitally remove a mustache. That's as insane to me as using CGI to open Wesley Snipes eyes during a scene for Blade Trinity.

Not too insane when you work in the industry

There are tons of invisible effects that no one ever picks up on

They're not normal. The article points out that WB are using more money and more time than usual. And the Suicide Squad reshoots were evidence that the film had deep-seated problems, despite Ayer's bluster.
Because it's an expensive movie and there's scheduling conflicts.

As for Suicide Squad, that reasoning is pretty bullshit, especially when it's generally accepted that there are two fairly different versions of the film out there. The final version and whatever Ayer put together. The reshoots didn't do the film any favors and just reframed the film to match the up beat tone of the trailers rather than the likely darker version that was originally planned.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, they schedule re-shoots for every movie. However, with Zack's situation that pushed everything back a month or more which kinda fucked up the actor's schedules since they already had plans to do other movies. It's taking longer because they have to wait for them to become available to fly back to London or LA. I'm sure Joss also added a few more things beyond what Zack wanted, but this isn't some doom and gloom scenario. It's just common sense about the logistics of how movies are made and the unfortunate scenario which caused it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was actually thinking about this earlier today. We don't know Cyborg, Aquaman, or Flash. Like literally their story has never been told to a large audience before. It's not like Batman or Superman where you can handwave it as something we all know. But even still, Batman V Superman spent a good amount of time introducing this Batman. And we got our Wonder Woman solo movie. Introducing 3 new leads, plus having them all team up, while also having good conflict build up is gonna be tough. I'm not the least bit surprised they're trying to get more character moments in, that's what'll make this movie sink or swim.

Nev

Banned
I think Josh Whedon is pretty good at determining what a film needs for a coherent plot. Even in the bloated Age of Ultron, most if not all scenes served a purpose in it's narrative, even Thor's not well executed subplot (which led to him aiding the creation of Vision). If Whedon has a clear vision of what this story needs to not be a mess, I think it can turn out fine or even better than it was going to be initially.

Age of Ultron is better than any movie Zack Snyder has directed except 300.

louiedog

I hope the reshoots are because they found a way to give Jared Leto a prominent role. He should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. And if he can't be inserted into every scene, when he's not on screen the Justice League members should be asking, "Where's The Joker?"

mjc

Any reshoots they're doing will hopefully make it a better movie, it just means that whatever Snyder shot was a dumpster fire.

I can only view extensive reshoots as a good thing as someone who hated BvS and dislikes most of Snyder's output.

Make it good Whedon. Or... try?

Busty

Banned
As the article says the action set pieces aren't being reshot. I bet that the line The Flash has in the new trailer about "pushing people" is from Whedon's reshoots.

I think WB have inevitably bowed to the 'grim, dark' criticisms of BvS and are making changes. Besides, if this is as radical a reshoot as Rogue One, which I'm having trouble imagining, then given the modern practice of studio filmmaking, even with Han Solo, this is pretty routine stuff.

Because:

1. All Snyder's movies are a mess
2. $25M is a lot for reshoots
3. Suicide Squad was a mess

Wonder Woman's success lives in a vacuum. Unless Patty Jenkins directs another DC hero, there's no chance of seeing that acclaim bleed over.

DeathyBoy

Banned
As the article says the action set pieces aren't being reshot. I bet that the line The Flash has in the new trailer about "pushing people" is from Whedon's reshoots.

I think WB have inevitably bowed to the 'grim, dark' criticisms of BvS and are making changes. Besides, if this is as radical a reshoot as Rogue One, which I'm having trouble imagining, then given the modern practice of studio filmmaking, even with Han Solo, this is pretty routine stuff.

Those changes saved Rogue One.

I mean they likely ruined Sol's character, but holy shit was that terrible hammy acting perfect for Star Wars.

"Jinnnnnnm"

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
RO reshoots were not normal. They cut a lot of that movie out, hence why a pretty large amount of footage in the trailers wasn't in the final movie.

Some of the non-film parts in the RO trailers were random shots that Edwards thought looked cool, such as Jyn in the tunnel of lights.

mjc

I would say any effect the reshoots had on Rogue One were minimal at best. (Tales from my ass, not knowing what was cut.) But I have a feeling a lot of it was in the first half, as that movie is disjointed as fuck until the final third act.

Nev

Banned
Wonder Woman's success lives in a vacuum. Unless Patty Jenkins directs another DC hero, there's no chance of seeing that acclaim bleed over.

There are a lot of directors that could make a film as good or better than WW. Wtf?

The problem was Snyder, he was the one who put this characterless grim dark mess in motion, but hopefully he's done with DC after JL as rumored.

They were already planning the change from "grim dark" to a lighter tone. Zach and Terrio are on record saying that JL would be lighter before BvS even came out and got the reception it did.

Top Bottom