• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Justice League' reshoots extensive; Up: Cavill comments on 'stache

ZeoVGM

Banned
The most worrying part of the article is this:

The set pieces Snyder shot are said to be usable, but Whedon has been working on “connective tissue” that was needed to link sequences.

To me, that means that Justice League, much like BvS and, to an extent, MoS, is just a collection of action scenes that jump from one to the next without anything of importance between.

Slaythe

Just let him keep the fucking beard OMG.

10acf6e0ded75cea68e1beeb343bcc1f.jpg

This mustache removal is going to be a disaster isn't it ?

They're gonna fuck up Superman again.

There are a lot of directors that could make a film as good or better than WW. Wtf?

The problem was Snyder, he was the one who put this characterless grim dark mess in motion, but hopefully he's done with DC after JL as rumored.

I'm talking about expectations for the DCEU as long as Synder is at the helm...calm down sis.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Digitially erasing facial hair. That's a new one for me. Here's hoping things turn out for the best.

Yeah they should just put make up over it like they did Cesar Romero in the 60's Batman show when he refused to cut his mustache.

VeeP

Suicide Squad?

The whole point with RO and WW is the reshoots were normal and punched out of proportion by the media. The point here (as it was with Suicide Squad) is they're not normal.

GAF before JL releases:

"LOL Snyder? Gonna be a train wreck. You guys saw BvS right?"

GAF after its announced Whedon is doing reshoots to add more "connective tissue" between set pieces:

"LOL reshoots? Gonna be a train wreck. You guys saw SS right?"

strafer

It would make sense for Superman to have a beard since he's been dead and not been able to shave in his coffin.

Nah, I don't like this one bit.

Kinyou

Just let him keep the fucking beard OMG.

10acf6e0ded75cea68e1beeb343bcc1f.jpg

This mustache removal is going to be a disaster isn't it ?

They're gonna fuck up Superman again.
They probably filmed some scenes back in the day where he was clean shaven. So it's either even more extensive reshoots or a cg removal for a few scenes.

(Or they could add a cg beard to the old scenes, lol)

Cuburt

Everyone will just be talking to Superman off-camera like Alfred at the end of the trailer.

Problem solved. Cavil only has to record some lines when necessary, no stupid mustache CGG, everyone wins.

Given that the film was only a few weeks away from starting production when the disastrous BvS reviews started coming in, I'm not surprised that it needed heavy reshoots.

I'm sure the script was heavily rewritten on set in an effort to lighten the tone and keep it from turning into another Snyder mess up its own ass with Serious Artistic Pretension, but on-set rewrites can only do so much when the overall shape of the story and the big set pieces are already locked in.

kiguel182

The most worrying part of the article is this:

To me, that means that Justice League, much like BvS and, to an extent, MoS, is just a collection of action scenes that jump from one to the next without anything of importance between.

Like every Snyder movie? Did people expect him to become a good director all of a sudden?

commedieu

Banned
They probably filmed some scenes back in the day where he was clean shaven. So it's either even more extensive reshoots or a cg removal for a few scenes.

(Or they coukd add a cg beard to the ood scenes, lol)

It's removal and animating a upper lip.

In this case I don't think it's such a big deal as I don't think Snyder was completely done when he left.

Any reshoots they're doing will hopefully make it a better movie, it just means that whatever Snyder shot was a dumpster fire.

The part that is being left out is Zack was fighting with the studio from day one. Whether or not it was going to be a "dumpster fire," the studio was never going to allow him to do the job they hired him to do. Whether or not he should have been hired in the first place is a reasonable argument. Its just that if its good or bad, you can't lay much of the blame at the feet of Zack.

Randdalf

The most expensive moustache of all time?

I wonder if at any point they had to weigh up how much it would cost to remove it versus how much it would cost to reshoot the scenes where he didn't have it. Surely digitally imposing a moustache is easier than digitally removing one.

Though it would be pretty funny if there's a scene where Superman is reborn but has inexplicably grown a finely groomed moustache in the resurrection process.

J_Viper

If this means more Ben and Gal, and less Ezra, I'm more than okay with that

Because of this, a mustache he grew for his character in the “Mission Impossible” sequel will have to be digitally removed in post-production

LOL

I need the cut of this movie with the mustache intact

This went well the last time.

There's a huge gulf in talent between Whedon and the interns of a trailer company

Instead of removing the mustache, they should just add it to the scenes they already shot. Explain that the mustache's power helped bring him back to life.
Boom.

Really hope this doesn't turn into a SS situation where it's clear the effects companies were working against an impossible deadline.

Legit laughed out loud at the mustache part.

Ricky_R

While extensive re-shoots like these obviously aren't a good thing, I feel like it's better news that it's Whedon doing them instead of Zack.

Busty

Banned
It's also worth considering that if, as some in here suggest, Justice League is an utter disaster why would Whedon want his figure prints all over it?

He doesn't need the money and he still has that Avengers heat so while put himself through this?

I would say any effect the reshoots had on Rogue One were minimal at best. (Tales from my ass, not knowing what was cut.) But I have a feeling a lot of it was in the first half, as that movie is disjointed as fuck until the final third act.

They reshot 40-60% of Rogue One just months before the film was released. They made so many changes so late in the game that it was too late to change things about the merchandise to reflect the alterations.

Hence one of the Jinn action figures has her listed as Major Urso.., or whatever her name is.

mjc

The part that is being left out is Zack was fighting with the studio from day one. Whether or not it was going to be a "dumpster fire," the studio was never going to allow him to do the job they hired him to do. Whether or not he should have been hired in the first place is a reasonable argument. Its just that if its good or bad, you can't lay much of the blame at the feet of Zack.

Link? I'm curious, haven't heard much about Zack fighting with WB on this one.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
What the hell is WB thinking? Instead of digitally removing his mustache they should be digitally adding mutton chops.

Kibbles

They couldn't have a fake mustache for Cavill for Mission impossible? Would be a lot easier than digitally removing it, but I guess Paramount don't give a fuck about WB anyway lol

At this point, all I can think is, why not? I have no doubt the original Snyder version was a bit of a disaster, so I don't doubt that shooting new scenes with Whedon probably wouldn't make it any worse then it is already.

They were already planning the change from "grim dark" to a lighter tone. Zach and Terrio are on record saying that JL would be lighter before BvS even came out and got the reception it did.

Do people actually believe this shit?

Like, sure, maybe it had as many jokes as MoS and BvS combined before they started the on-set rewrites and the emergency non-embargoed set visits. That wouldn't be a high bar to clear.

Top Bottom