• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just played Skyrim for the first time since PS3...

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Oblivion and Skyrim just dumbed down the game play systems too much for my liking. They also lacked variety in locales. Relying less on quest descriptions and in-game navigation in favor of in-game maps, waypoints and fast travel anywhere just killed the sense of exploration for me.
I never used fast travel in Skyrim this time.

So damn goooooood.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I rarely do in any open world game. The quest markers on the in-game map/HUD are a deal breaker though.
There's way too many quests, open world details and interactive NPC's in Skyrim not to have markers.

It's not like Elden Ring where NPC's just sit there.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Awesome game.

Especially better on next gen systems at 4k/60 fps, SSD speed loading time and mods. Lots of sweet QOL mods and 4k texture and weather mods.

But watch out for improved map mods. I tested out a bunch and two of them would crash the game. Too bad, since one of them was a 3D-ish map with colour coded symbols.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
100%. Yes, Fallout 4 is a weak RPG (and so is Skyrim) but it's one of the best exploration games ever made. With the right mods, Fallout 4 is amazing.
Well, while we don't agree on the Skyrim matter, I can't argue with you about F4. Game had weak RPG mechanics and the quests were forgetable, but man, it still kept me hooked for 80+ hours thanks to it's exploration.

I still think Skyrim is fun tho, loved exploring that world too.

Good game but I much preferred Oblivion and I know I’m in the minority with that one. It was a more pleasant place to be and I loved the guild quests, they were so good!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oblivion and Skyrim just dumbed down the game play systems too much for my liking. They also lacked variety in locales. Relying less on quest descriptions and in-game navigation in favor of in-game maps, waypoints and fast travel anywhere just killed the sense of exploration for me.

On the flip side, Morrowind is an incredibly obtuse game to get into now, hell it was back when Oblivion came out. A bit of accessibility and good user experience makes Oblivion and Skyrim much better experiences to revisit IMO.

Skyrim was a juggernaut when it came out, it was basically the go-to RPG for the years between it's release and until TW3 came out, even after that Skyrim has almost always be in popular discussion owing to its incredible modding scene and just how damn frequently the game keeps getting re-released.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess the alternative is the other site, where everyone has the same opinion as the mods, otherwise they're banned.
No No No GIF

When the thread proves OP is correct
I also expected it. It feels like the main demographic of people here are older than 30, which means Morrowind was probably more fondly remembered by them.

I personally find the older games way too wordy. Characters saying an essay's worth of dialogue after asking one small question. Skyrim simply did better in that regard. Padded out dialogue doesn't make a game better for making you do the exact same thing you were going to do in the first place, which is probably find or kill something.

bender

What time is it?
On the flip side, Morrowind is an incredibly obtuse game to get into now, hell it was back when Oblivion came out. A bit of accessibility and good user experience makes Oblivion and Skyrim much better experiences to revisit IMO.

Morrowind was glorious at launch. I probably spent 200 hours on the PC version and another 150 on the Xbox version when it eventually release (NPC drift and all). Quest text, in game signposts and Silt Striders as a limited, but lore appropriate fast travel system just let players explore. It wasn't afraid to let you get lost. It wasn't afraid to let you miss content. What's the point of an open world otherwise? Oblivion came along and threw away what gave previous titles that sense of discovery along with dumbing down the game play systems. Skyrim dumbed it down further. Morrowind's mechanics might be archaic to revisit, but I'd argue Oblivion and Skyrim have a lot of the same fundamental game play problems and none of the wonder and and aren't worth visiting in the first place, much less revisiting.

And I'm not really trying to be a snob here. Lot's of people love Oblivion and Skyrim and that's not without merit. I just don't think modern open world design takes advantage of their open world's properly.

Last edited:
Morrowind was glorious at launch. I probably spent 200 hours on the PC version and another 150 on the Xbox version when it eventually release (NPC drift and all). Quest text, in game signposts and Silt Striders as a limited, but lore appropriate fast travel system just let players explore. It wasn't afraid to let you get lost. It wasn't afraid to let you miss content. What's the point of an open world otherwise? Oblivion came along and threw away what gave previous titles that sense of discovery along with dumbing down the game play systems. Skyrim dumbed it down further. Morrowind's mechanics might be archaic to revisit, but I'd argue Oblivion and Skyrim have a lot of the same fundamental game play problems and none of the wonder and and aren't worth visiting in the first place, much less revisiting.

And I'm not really trying to be a snob here. Lot's of people love Oblivion and Skyrim and that's not without merit. I just don't think modern open world design takes advantage of their open world's properly.
Somewhere between ES 2, 3, 4, 5 and ESO lies the perfect Elder Scrolls game.

Despite their faults, TES games (including Skryim imho) just have a flavor of freedom/autonomy and adventure that is pretty one-of-a-kind. There's this sense of openness and mystery surrounding an interesting and ancient feeling lore-filled place, and it's incredibly engaging to inhabit, to take your place in that world. If you like it, you like it. :p (I like it.)

Oh and:

It's probably true. My theory has always been that you love you first TES experience and hate everything that comes after it.
But I didn't like Morrowind, at least not as much as Skyrim. It's because
198.gif

Then again, I came from games like Zelda 1, LttP, and Diablo 2 which pretty much said "here, take this one item and figure the rest out" which might have influenced why Morrowind didn't stick with me and why I eventually moved to souls games. Early ES games load the player up with tons of dialogue to the point of exhaustion.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I started playing through it again on game pass and I just don't have the feels for it like I did back then. I always thought it was a good game but it was feeling like a bit of a slog so I dropped it. Felt kinda sad.

I think Skyrim has some of the best sword and shield play in first person view.
I’m with you OP, no other game allows me to come up on a bandit camp and seeing the archer on look out and starts to fire at me I must deflect with my shield or just move out of the way as another bandit tries to flank me while telling me he can’t wait to count out my coin I defect his attack and time slows down as I cut them down and quickly turn my attention back to the archer on the cat walk I’m able to go into my quick menu, equip my bow draw the string back and release to be treated with a camera watching the arrow flow through the air and watch it get lodged into the neck of the bandit. All quite satisfying for me.

Arthimura

Well, I can see why people got amazed by Skyrim, but honestly it was too shallow compared to older TES games and by some open-world games being released at the same time.

It was ok for me.

bender

What time is it?
But I didn't like Morrowind, at least not as much as Skyrim. It's because
198.gif

Then again, I came from games like Zelda 1, LttP, and Diablo 2 which pretty much said "here, take this one item and figure the rest out" which might have influenced why Morrowind didn't stick with me and why I eventually moved to souls games. Early ES games load the player up with tons of dialogue to the point of exhaustion.

One of my favorite things in Morrowind, and it was probably unintentional, is that a quest give gave incorrect directions. It was frustrating, led me down a path I wouldn't have gone down anyway and felt remarkably authentic. Like getting poor directions in a foreign city from someone with a bad sense of direction. I also unintentionally wore a dress because I thought it looked like samurai garb and I loved how the NPC's reacted to my character wearing female clothing. There is a lot wrong with Morrowind but it had a wonderful sense of place. I loved being lost in that world and I miss that Bethesda, and most open world developers, don't want you to be lost anymore and how afraid they are of letting you miss content which is a folly in itself as most people will not finish your game much less track down every last piece of content.

Last edited:
After the super colorful and fun, crazy world of Oblivion I can’t believe they went snowy, gray and boring.

Oblivion definitely wasn’t perfect but it was interesting. To some, maybe for the wrong reasons but still interesting and very entertaining.

Skyrim is incredible and a lot of smart decisions were made to grant it such large appeal.

Unfortunately those decisions are some I don’t agree with or understand, rather it be 2011 or 2022.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
You might have thrown out the game? Lol you mean just toss it in the trash? I don’t think I’ve ever thrown out a game in my life.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of dislike for Skyrim. Back when it first came out I remember it being universally loved. Maybe that changed over time as it aged. I haven’t played it in years, but I never liked Elder Scrolls combat. Everything else was great though. Never finished the game. Played it so many hours and eventually got bored of it before I beat the main quest

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
You might have thrown out the game? Lol you mean just toss it in the trash? I don’t think I’ve ever thrown out a game in my life.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of dislike for Skyrim. Back when it first came out I remember it being universally loved. Maybe that changed over time as it aged. I haven’t played it in years, but I never liked Elder Scrolls combat. Everything else was great though. Never finished the game. Played it so many hours and eventually got bored of it before I beat the main quest
Yeah, I've tossed games in the trash before.

25e5.gif

Its not the best RPG and its not forgotten on the forums....game has been out for 12 years, multiple systems, of course its not going to get the attention other newer games get nowadays. Its been beaten to death actually.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

Amen man the forum hate is definitely a load of contrarian rubbish. There’s a reason this game sold over 30m copies. It’s the best fantasy game of all time (sorry TW3). Fantastic RPG. Still playable today.
The main reason it sold 30m is because it had about a million re releases on just about every platform imaginable

Damn. PS3. It has been too long since we last got a new Elder Scrolls game.
GTA V and ES:V. Both released during PS360 gen. Both remastered multiple times. Both multi million sellers. Both just about a decade old, and we all wait patiently for both franchises to finally reach number 6, hoping and praying they both won't have outdated gameplay mechanics and quest design after such a long wait.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The main reason it sold 30m is because it had about a million re releases on just about every platform imaginable

A bad game can get re-released 200 times and people won't buy it.

That's not the reason Skyrim is such a massive hit. The game is legitimately incredible and it kinda took the gaming scene by storm when it came out. You couldn't go anywhere without people not talking about it, kinda like how Elden Ring is all the rage in the gaming news circles these days.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Skyrim is okay, but IMO it's not one of the best RPGs ever made, nor is it Bethesda's best game.

My biggest issues with th game are melee combat is like having a pillow fight and most quests are poorly thought out fetch quests.

DelireMan7

I played the PS3 version. After few hours I dropped it. The first person melee combat is an heresy for me.
Also I played it after Dark Souls so it couldn't stand the comparison.

But now I consider giving it another chance. Is the new PS4/PS5 version really brings something new compare to the PS3 ?
I don't care about Framerate, graphics and others technical aspect (and I don't play on PC).

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Modded it's probably good but the game itself? Meh.

When ES VI comes out let us see of people 180 and swear Skyrim was amazing in comparison.

Top Bottom