• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just played Skyrim for the first time since PS3...

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Just played through the game over the last few months for the first time after only a little bit of time with the botched PS3 port back in the day.

The PS3 port was so bad I swore the game off. Not sure what happened to it I think I may have threw it out or traded it.
Smile Tommy Boy GIF - Smile Tommy Boy Chris Farley GIFs

This game is insanely underrated on forums (even though it has good reviews) where so many people claim it's trash.

Hold my beer.

It's one of the best rpg's ever. Especially the game as it is now with all the bugs patched out and better graphics and load times.

1. The NPC's are more alive than any other action RPG
2. Combat is underrated. It's not amazing, but it's fun, weighty melee, good bow and magic.
3. There's a lot to do. Huge detailed world to explore. Epic music. Lots of towns to visit that seemed very realistic with people living on schedules or joining you on fights in Skyrim. I joined the stormcloaks, got married, kids, a house, became a vampire, a werewolf oh yeah.

Last edited:
One of the most overrated games of all time to me, without a doubt. I just can't understand why it was so well reviewed. I played it on PC when it released, it was the worst TES I ever played.

The game has no depth at all, all gameplay systems break down extremely easily.

I'm glad that overtime people are pointing out how bad it is, because when it released only a handful of people pointed out all the glaring flaws.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
One of the most overrated games of all time to me, without a doubt. I just can't understand why it was so well reviewed. I played it on PC when it released, it was the worst TES I ever played.

The game has no depth at all, all gameplay systems break down extremely easily.

I'm glad that overtime people are pointing out how bad it is, because when it released only a handful of people pointed out all the glaring flaws.
I also recently tried Morrowind since it was so recommended but it's just way too old.

I guess it's just a game people appreciated more for nostalgic purposes.

I thought Skyrim destroyed it.

Last edited:
I also recently tried Morrowind since it was so recommended but it's just way too old.

I guess it's just a game people appreciated more for nostalgic purposes.

I thought Skyrim destroyed it.
Morrowind released in 2002 what does Skyrim does that is much better? I don't mind the bugs at all, I don't think they matter, my problem with the game is how shallow it is and how poorly thought out the game world is and how it is completely disconnected from the gameplay. Level scaling, the greatest cop out in game design.

is this neogaf . gif ?
Skyrim and Resident Evil 4, I just can't hold back on them.

Last edited:
Popular games get trashed more. I thought it was a great game. The best thing about the game was the world they built. It felt alive and real, and well lived in. Something that games like cyberpunk couldn't capture.

The next game will get slated even more now MS own it

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Popular games get trashed more. I thought it was a great game. The best thing about the game was the world they built. It felt alive and real, and well lived in. Something that games like cyberpunk couldn't capture.
Yeah I'm sorry.

Cyberpunk didn't have 1/100th the living world of Skyrim.

and Elden Ring is cool and all, but JFC the only thing you can do is fight.

I've dodge rolled my brains out of existence.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Honestly you did the best jump possible.

The Anniversary Edition adds a shit load of content that anyone coming from the PS3 would be blown away (heck, i went from the main vanilla game to the GOTY edition and i was blown away)

People pick up on Skyrim because it aged badly and it got a shiton of re-releases, but it's still a fantastic game with hundreds of hours of content.

Last edited:
Honestly you did the best jump possible.

The Anniversary Edition adds a shit load of content that anyone coming from the PS3 would be blown away (heck, i went from the main vanilla game to the GOTY edition and i was blown away)

People pick up on Skyrim because it aged badly and it got a shiton of re-releases, but it's still a fantastic game with hundreds of hours of content.

I don't even think it aged badly?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just played through the game over the last few months for the first time after only a little bit of time with the botched PS3 port back in the day.

The PS3 port was so bad I swore the game off. Not sure what happened to it I think I may have threw it out or traded it.

This game is insanely underrated on forums (even though it has good reviews) where so many people claim it's trash.

Hold my beer.

It's one of the best rpg's ever. Especially the game as it is now with all the bugs patched out and better graphics and load times.

2. Combat is underrated. It's not amazing, but it's fun, weighty melee, good bow and magic.
3. There's a lot to do. Huge detailed world to explore. Epic music. Lots of towns to visit that seemed very realistic with people living on schedules or joining you on fights in Skyrim. I joined the stormcloaks, got married, kids, a house, became a vampire, a werewolf oh yeah.
Amen man the forum hate is definitely a load of contrarian rubbish. There’s a reason this game sold over 30m copies. It’s the best fantasy game of all time (sorry TW3). Fantastic RPG. Still playable today.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game is great, the sense of scale was amazing back then (and today), there are lots of things to do and cool places to explore. Also the game is kinda pretty, and the OST is great too.
That said... the game could be better.

The RPG mechanics where dumbed down a lot compared to previous entries. The combat system is very simple, and doesn't feel very weighty compared to other titles like Dark Messiah, which came out 5 or so years before Skyrim.
Also the "we make 4 types of dungeons and fill the map with copy pasted versions of those" is a design philosophy that needs to die, makes exploration very boring in the long run.
Sidequests weren't very hot too, but I guess that's what happens when you compromise the writing because now every NPC needs to have their lines voiced.

Anyway, still a great game. I must have put around 200 hours in it between multiple playthoughs, and I've never beaten it.

Yeah, super realistic.

I went to the mall this afternoon and every third person told me how they took an arrow to the knee.

One dude pissed me off, so I bumped him. He then fell through the floor.
Poor soul... He's comming to get ya.

enmisonh7dg61.jpg

Guilty_AI

Never liked the combat, the writing would also be quite terrible if it weren't so memeable. However it does have an incredible scale and huge amounts of unique content. But i don't think it really loses out on those regards to previous bethesda games.

EDMIX

Hold my beer.

Agreed.

I owned like 2 copies when it first came out, one for PC, one for PS3.

Easily one of the best RPGs ever made, always will be in my top 5 for a long time to come. That world, the towns people...that made it for me, if nothing else...that concept is what I love with the Elder Scrolls and Fallout IPs (hoping Starfield does the same btw) as at any time you can go to a town, talk to a random person and they give you some quest and adventure times begin lol

I like knowing that when I do something, a consequence exist and the world responds back.

Yeah I'm sorry.

Cyberpunk didn't have 1/100th the living world of Skyrim.

and Elden Ring is cool and all, but JFC the only thing you can do is fight.

I've dodge rolled my brains out of existence.

This 1000x

Having a pretty world means nothing with shit AI and NPCs that don't even know you exist, its basically window dressing. I'd rather have a world that looks like its a PS3 game that has good AI, they a good looking world that basically a tech demo with no AI.

SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo nahhhhh. I love both games btw especially Kingdome Come Deliverance, but they are not even in the ball park of the Elder Scrolls series. Keep in mind, I do hope that KCD2 adds more elements from that series with their NPCs as I feel its the closest and can do this with a bigger team with some talented staff add ons or something, but neither game really has enough of those elements, in fact most games don't have enough of those elements imho when it comes to NPC's, routine, behaviors. Either way, KCD is relatively close, but Fallout and Elder Scrolls are just on another tier of world building and NPC AI.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've mentioned it before but I was never into it much. Just too overwhelming and I only played like 2 hours when it launched on PS3.

Recently got it for PSVR and good lord is it fun, the immersion made it so I don't really care if I'm missing out on anything. Just a total blast to explore caves and stuff. Music too, just absolutely sublime. So yea, consider me a part of the 'Skyrim is awesome' camp.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hope they announce DD2 this year already.
Some time ago, Itsuno was offered working on DD2 or DMC V, and chose the later.
Now Itsuno is (into) free after his work on DMC V is done.
The game was on the Capcom leak.
The game was on the Nvidia leak.
Next month is the 10th anniversary.

It has to happen my man. I really hope it does, and that this time the man gets the chance to actually complete his dream game, instead of shipping a half-baked (but full of soul) game like the first DD.

And if it doesn't... well I heard some guys are trying to revive Dragon's Dogma Online by developing a private server, so we have that at least. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Is it bad ive only played an hour of Skyrim during the whole times its been out, just feel exhausted looking at it

lem0n

I liked Skyrim a lot. I've played a few hundred hours of it over the past 10 years. I really enjoy the atmosphere, snowy worlds are always my favorite in any game. Cool dungeons, neat cities, decent amount of variety in weaponry etc. My issue with Skyrim though was it never stood up to Oblivion. As flawed as Oblivion is, it's so special. I absolutely adore it in every way.

EDMIX

Some time ago, Itsuno was offered working on DD2 or DMC V, and chose the later.
Now Itsuno is (into) free after his work on DMC V is done.
The game was on the Capcom leak.
The game was on the Nvidia leak.
Next month is the 10th anniversary.

It has to happen my man. I really hope it does, and that this time the man get's the chance to actually complete his dream game, instead of shipping a half-baked (but full of soul) game like the first DD.

And if it doesn't... well I heard some guys are trying to revive Dragon's Dogma Online by developing a private server, so we have that at least. :goog_relieved:

Oh I didn't know it was on that leak, nah fuck that...its happening lol That isn't a maybe, that is a when at this point then. Easily one of the craziest gaming leaks in history.... publishers for now on regarding those features will just code what those titles are.

bender

What time is it?
Oblivion and Skyrim just dumbed down the game play systems too much for my liking. They also lacked variety in locales. Relying less on quest descriptions and in-game navigation in favor of in-game maps, waypoints and fast travel anywhere just killed the sense of exploration for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom