• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

just ordered a OLED Switch, looking for advice

new Switch owner here, just managed to order a OLED Switch from Target

going to leave to pick it up in a couple hours, wanted to get feedback on other stuff I should grab.

Was thinking of grabbing the following while at Target:

BotW
Animal Crossing Horizons
Pro Controller

haven't played either game and was looking forward to playing both. I'm guessing the pro controller is a necessity as the joycons look extremely uncomfortable. please let me know if I'm wrong since I wouldn't mind saving the money since the pro controller is expensive.

should I get a screen protector? will be playing primarily at home, not sure how easily the screen scratches.

any feedback is appreciated. haven't owned a nintendo system since the wii u, and I got rid of that years ago

Impotaku

They joycons are useable but a pro controller feels a lot more comfortable for longer play, when playing at home i tend to use the pro more than joycons unless the game requires me to use them. As for a screen protector i'm sure some will say there's no need but to be honest for how cheap they are i'd get one on it as you can end up scratching the screen if you remove it from the dock, the only thing to look out for is to get a protector that is one of the silicone backed ones that attaches by clinging and not adhesive backed super cheap ones. To be honest most are pretty high quality even the cheap ones. With the price the switch costs it's not worth the risk, they don't affect the operation or the look of the screen if you get it on without any bubbles under it.

Not sure if all newer switch consoles have one sitting in the box, my original switch console didn't have a screen protector in the box but when i upgraded to the mario red switch i found that nintendo actually included a screen protector in the box i'm not sure if oled switches they did the same thing. It might have been just for that edition as it did include extras like a mario carry case so it might have been why they bundled one in.

Last edited:

Xellos

Pro controller is expensive yes, but it is much more comfortable than the joy-cons. Using a screen protector is a good idea since the removing/inserting the Switch in the dock can scratch the screen. The new dock that comes with the OLED revision is better than the original dock, but scratches are still possible.

cireza

Banned
Before getting a super expensive Pro Controller, I would give the joycons + grip (which is bundled in the box) a try, it is not too bad.

Best recent game is Metroid Dread. Otherwise there are many great niche games, but well, not too sure that you are interested in buying Aleste Collection or Shiren the Wanderer.

Last edited:
BOTW
Link’s Awakening Remake
Super Mario Odyssey
Metroid Dread
Luigi’s Mansion 3
Octopath Travellers
Xenoblade Chronicle 2 Torna
Astral Chain
Bayonetta 2

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

HORI Split Pad Pro if you ever plan for long undocked play sessions
iu

iu

If you get the Split Pad Pro and plan to take your switch with you

Last edited:

Fbh

I think I'm in the minority but I don't really like the pro controller.
The one thing it has going for it is stellar battery life but I've always found the analog sticks too loose and the Dpad fucking sucks.
There's adapters like the 8BitDo that let you use controllers from other consoles in case you already own some. Though I haven't tried it out myself.

I know you said you got rid of your WiiU, but if for some reason you still have a WiiU Pro controller I would highly recommend getting this adapter. It’s $20 and I’ve been able to use my WiiU Procon with the Switch no problem.

MAYFLASH Magic-NS Wireless Bluetooth Controller Adapter Converter for Switch/OLED Model, PC Windows, NEOGEO Mini, PS Classic. Support PS5 Controller, Xbox Series X Controller. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079B5KHWQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I did research on Switch pro controllers and it’s almost impossible to find one that’s wireless and has rumble (my personal parameters), that’s not the official Nintendo one. I got this controller as a secondary one for $28 off Amazon. It’s a weird brand called Binbok but it does have Rumble, Wireless, and even gyro.

HO4Vv8T.png

The only thing I don’t like is that the sticks don’t have rubber, it’s just plastic so for the first time in my life I may get some of the stupid rubber stick cover things.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I personally hate the pro controller and think it's grossly overpriced but the Joycons are such a step down from the wiimote and nunchuk I can't blame people for buying one. I can make the joycons work but it requires using the grips and button remapping.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
BotW
Animal Crossing Horizons
Pro Controller
Trust your instincts, these are great picks!

should I get a screen protector? will be playing primarily at home, not sure how easily the screen scratches.
I play 70% docked, 30% handheld and am glad I put a screen protector on mine because that has saved it from a few scratches I think. Original model here though, not sure about the new surface you will have.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
HORI Split Pad Pro if you ever plan for long undocked play sessions
iu

iu

If you get the Split Pad Pro and plan to take your switch with you

This is the best advice if you plan on playing handheld. Completely changes the machine. But yes you also need a real controller for tv play, the joycons suck.

Last edited:
Thanks guys decided to hold off on buying the pro controller to see if any Black Friday deals come up

playing botw with the joycons and it’s not terrible

looks like there are a few ways to get my xsx controllers to work on the switch? Might look into that too

Top Bottom