• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my Switch...somebody explain to me how this happened?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ok, so for some reference:

thumb_list-of-synonyms-and-antonyms-of-the-word-kanye-straight-52110270.png

WTF. So apparently Nintendo told investors that there would be no Switch Pro. I've been holding off for a while. If this ends up being the case, which from what I can tell...seems to be how Nintendo plans on moving forward. I guess it makes sense. They are still selling the Switch and V2 very well. no reason to do a mid-gen refresh.

So suppose I should just get it then right?

I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer. I own all systems except for the switch (outgrown it...sorry) and a gaming PC.
You got me, I was never buying a Switch. I thought about it though. lol

WELL, WELL...WELLLLLL...Now I have Gaming PC...and my Switch just arrived. Something very strange is going on. I turned it on, signed up for a brand new account, started my 7 day trial of online. First thing I do is down Nintendo Entertainment System. Why!? To Confront my Nemesis!!! For further Reference:

Ninja Gaiden on NES (The Jacquio) could never quite make it to him with the super slash item equipped. I still plan on finishing it.

I've never beaten Ninja Gaiden on the NES. I was like 7 and just couldn't get to the Jacquio with the "S" slash. I have Ninja Gaiden Black and I should really unlock that game and finish it.

I still haven't fully beat Ninja Gaiden on the NES. I'm gonna buy the Ninja Gaiden collection just to unlock the original games and beat all of em. I was 7 years old when I kept getting curb stomped by "The Jacquio" boss.

39 now...time for reveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenge!!!!

EDIT: Nevermind...the master collection does NOT include theoriginal NES games. I'm is sad. Gonna need to do it on Ninja Gaiden Black.

So I fire up The NES...go to play Ninja Gaiden. AND THE DAMN GAME STARTS ME OFF ON "THE JACQUIO" BOSS! I get absolutely shredded. I'm not focused, I can't figure out for the life of me how the system knows where I was stuck at. Last time I played a Nintendo was about 6 or 7 years ago, on my GF's Wii. I faintly remember playing Ninja Gaiden back then. Is it possible that the Switch remembered where I left off?

Edit: Also can you guys recommend me some games pleaseeee. I got Smash, Zelda, Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart on my list so far.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What games are you into OP? If you like JRPGs, I've really liked Octopath Traveler and Shin Megami Tensei V.

Rodolink

So I fire up The NES...go to play Ninja Gaiden. AND THE DAMN GAME STARTS ME OFF ON "THE JACQUIO" BOSS! I get absolutely shredded. I'm not focused, I can't figure out for the life of me how the system knows where I was stuck at. Last time I played a Nintendo was about 6 or 7 years ago, on my GF's Wii. I faintly remember playing Ninja Gaiden back then. Is it possible that the Switch remembered where I left off?
How the heck that happened I would also want to know! that's crazy, are you using your same Nintendo ID?

blacktout

NES Online includes special remixed versions of some games in addition to the originals. You can tell the special version from the original because they have a big red "SP" banner over the top of the box art. The special version of Ninja Gaiden basically warps you to the 6-4 boss. Think it's supposed to be a way for players to see the end if they can't handle the game even with save scumming. You can play the original too. Should be a row down from the SP version on the game select menu.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
What games are you into OP? If you like JRPGs, I've really liked Octopath Traveler and Shin Megami Tensei V.
I like RPGs, Action Adventure, Shooters, Fighting. I'd say my tastes are pretty eclectic. I play pretty much everything. Probably just best to mention your favorites. Nintendo doesn't seem to have their main games on sale much, but I plan to pick some up used from Gamestop. Shin Migami, that's the one in the Persona Universe?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
NES Online includes special remixed versions of some games in addition to the originals. You can tell the special version from the original because they have a big red "SP" banner over the top of the box art. The special version of Ninja Gaiden basically warps you to the 6-4 boss. Think it's supposed to be a way for players to see the end if they can't handle the game even with save scumming. You can play the original too. Should be a row down from the SP version on the game select menu.
WHAT!? Yes I got the big ass SP. So it's not remembering where I got stuck, just does this to everybody? That's crazy! Thank you for the insight.

ReBurn

Gold Member
You chose the wrong version of the game. You chose the special version that starts you at a more challenging part of the game.

WHAT!? Yes I got the big ass SP. So it's not remembering where I got stuck, just does this to everybody? That's crazy! Thank you for the insight.
Yeah, lol. Nintendo's online structure is nowhere near that elaborate.

SP versions of games are just Nintendo's marketing scheme to advertise "new" versions of games without doing anything. All they are are some random mid-game save files, equivalent from renting a game from Blockbuster and starting the game off where whoever rented the game last left off.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Shin Migami, that's the one in the Persona Universe?
You hurt me. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
It's actually backwards, Persona is a spin off of the main SMT titles. Imagine Persona but without the visual novel highschool stuff, this one's much more about exploration, combat and demon fusion.

Other games I've enjoyed... Not many exclusives but I'll list them anyway:
Hollow Knight
Gato Roboto
Ikaruga
Streets of Rage 4
Monster Hunter Rise
Blazing Chrome
Cyber Shadow, which I haven't played but kinda reminds me of Ninja Gaiden, at least by the looks

Lots of people seem to also like Astral Chain, but that wasn't my cup of tea.

For me the Switch is my Nintendo-exclusive games + indie titles machine, some of the later feel very good on a handheld, like the aforementioned Hollow Knight.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You hurt me. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
It's actually backwards, Persona is a spin off of the main SMT titles. Imagine Persona but without the visual novel highschool stuff, this one's much more about exploration, combat and demon fusion.

Other games I've enjoyed... Not many of exclusives but I'll list them anyway:
Hollow Knight
Gato Roboto
Ikaruga
Streets of Rage 4
Monster Hunter Rise
Blazing Chrome
Cyber Shadow, which I haven't played but kinda reminds me of Ninja Gaiden, at least by the looks

Lots of people seem to also like Astral Chain, but that wasn't my cup of tea.

For me the Switch is my Nintendo-exclusive games + indie titles machine, some the later feel very good on a handheld, like the aforementioned Hollow Knight.
Fuck dude, I sound like those kids who think Naruto is from Fortnite.

Hollow Knight - Beat on Pc
Gato roboto...hmmm what's that about?
Ikaruga, got it on Xbox
Streets of Rage - Gamepass
Monster Hunter Rise - got it on PC
Blazing Chrome? I'll look it up, thank you
Cyber Shadow, will check it out. Thank you man.

RIGHT Astral Chain. I said I was gonna buy a switch for that game.

TintoConCasera

Fuck dude, I sound like those kids who think Naruto is from Fortnite.

Hollow Knight - Beat on Pc
Gato roboto...hmmm what's that about?
Ikaruga, got it on Xbox
Streets of Rage - Gamepass
Monster Hunter Rise - got it on PC
Blazing Chrome? I'll look it up, thank you
Cyber Shadow, will check it out. Thank you man.

RIGHT Astral Chain. I said I was gonna buy a switch for that game.
Gato Roboto is a cheap, short and sweet Metroidvania which is also kinda challenging. If you get it on a sale you'll make a good deal.

Blazing Chrome is basically a Contra game, very cool. Oh and add Katana Zero to the list too! Specially if you like trial and error games kinda like Hotline Miami.

You also have weirder games like Ape Out, or Baba is You, a puzzle game that filtered me so hard it still hurts.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Gato Roboto is a cheap, short and sweet Metroidvania which is also kinda challenging. If you get it on a sale you'll make a good deal.

Blazing Chrome is basically a Contra game, very cool. Oh and add Katana Zero to the list too! Specially if you like trial and error games kinda like Hotline Miami.

You also have weirder games like Ape Out, or Baba is You, a puzzle game that filtered me so hard it still hurts.
Nice...and you just reminded me. Just downloaded the Metroid Dread demo. Checking it out now.

TintoConCasera

Nice...and you just reminded me. Just downloaded the Metroid Dread demo. Checking it out now.
How could I forget about Dread lol. Game's awesome and the Switch's a very nice system, have fun! :)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo can’t go forward with switch they have to announce a next gen console at e3.

This is off-topic, but seems relevant. I was in the process of relocating last year and had to stay at my mom's for a couple months while getting my circumstances fully sorted. I stayed in her basement that had a back door entrance. While there I ordered a couple of amazon packages and they left them by the back door - where I entered. My mom said that Amazon had never done that before, and I asked her after leaving if they ever did that again, and she said that they haven't. I mean, WTF. That's some scary stuff right there.

On topic: Congrats on the Switch.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
OP got bamboozled.

Like those card tricks where the magician is on TV and tells you to pick a card from your own deck - then reveals a random card. Statistically, for one out of every 52 people that guess is gonna be the right one.

Dr Bass

I think the fact you think you can "outgrow" the Switch, actually shows you have a bit of real growing up to do.

But congrats on the purchase, it's still the most fun console available right now IMO.

As far as the Ninja Gaiden thing goes, did you play Nina Gaiden "SP"? The online service has these "special" versions of games that can start you off in weird places, or with abilities that aren't normal for the rest of the game etc. "Regular" Ninja Gaiden would be further down the list ...

levyjl1988

Banned

That video is old.
Posted: Jan 31, 2020

It's 2022.
I can see the next Switch to have hardware updates and no Pro until then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom