• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a PS5, DualSense is pure hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got a PS5 today, I was eager to try the DualSense controller after all the great reviews it got. I didn't buy any game because I'm not willing to spend $70 on a PS3 remaster or on a PS4 game expansion, astrobot is what showcases the controller anyway. So here I am playing for about an hour and I can't understand what's with all the hype. It's like these people have never used a device with haptic feedback before. I was way more impressed with the iPhone fake home button than with this. I'm starting to believe those reviews were paid, you can't feel the water or the sand or the grass sensation like they said, you just feel rumble changing from frequent to less frequent. The triggers are ok though, not impressive in any way.

This won't be a popular option round these parts. I too was not blown away by the new controller but it is nice and certainly better than the dual shock 4.
Well, obviously is better than the dualshock 4 but I'm betting lots of people will look for the option to just turn the haptic feedback off just like they did with rumble.

Shakka43

do_not_feed_trolls_by_hashemashour_dc528jq-fullview.png

DinoD

So I just got a PS5 today, I was eager to try the DualSense controller after all the great reviews it got. I didn't buy any game because I'm not willing to spend $70 on a PS3 remaster or on a PS4 game expansion, astrobot is what showcases the controller anyway. So here I am playing for about an hour and I can't understand what's with all the hype. It's like these people have never used a device with haptic feedback before. I was way more impressed with the iPhone fake home button than with this. I'm starting to believe those reviews were paid, you can't feel the water or the sand or the grass sensation like they said, you just feel rumble changing from frequent to less frequent. The triggers are ok though, not impressive in any way.

Sorry. I will have to stop short of calling you a name. But for fucks sake. Your logic is: "If I don't like something, everyone else is either paid to say otherwise or they are plain wrong". Man. Sometimes I think it shouldn't be hard to give up on humanity.

On Demand

Banned
Too bad it didn’t live up to your expectations. As I’ve said before it’s it for everyone. But the reviews and ownership experience speak for themselves.

Sorry. I will have to stop short of calling you a name. But for fucks sake. Your logic is: "If I don't like something, everyone else is either paid to say otherwise or they are plain wrong". Man. Sometimes I think it shouldn't be hard to give up on humanity.
I'm not gonna desagree with you. I genuinely believe that anyone who calls this controller revolutionary must be a moron.

jaysius

Banned
Playing Astro room in the level with rain reminded me of driving a shitty old truck with bad shocks over a dirt road, it wasn’t great at all. It’s not an enjoyable feeling. There is a ton of hyperbole surrounding it.

Overall it was pretty crappy feeling at least in the astro room.

For No Mans Sky, it barely did anything except add resistance when I tried to take off, it felt like I was destroying a plastic bottle and breaking the controller’s trigger.

Surprisngly Bug Snax has an OK amount of haptic feedback, it doesnt add much but subtle is best with this.

The guy from ACG didn’t love haptics, he said it was too busy in Spider-Man, it was meh in that game.

For a feature that adds too much weight and cost to the controller it’s a ton of hype with no pay off.

The dual sense is a heavy controller, maybe it’s the way the weight is distributed or something.

My friend with the PS5, his dual sense has annoyingly squeaky triggers too.

One good thing about the dual sense is that Sony finally made good L1 and R1 buttons. Is it worth all the dead weight and shitty battery life again? Nope!

Last edited:

Calverz

I agree OP. Iv played astro and demons souls and at first it was cool. But the controller is far from perfect. Its harder to hit r1 and r2 now so feels like a downgrade to ds4 in that regard. Battery life aint great either.
I also find its quite slippery. For me the xbox series s controller edges it. The triggers are cool though. But long term i see myself turning that off for shooting games since u cant feather it.

Nymphae

Banned
I think it's a pretty great feature, it's really cool to feel minute changes in the material your character is walking on in Astro, and the one controller demonstration where you play with the sixaxis and can feel the "weight" of the little guys inside shifting around as you rotate is really cool. It's a pretty cool extra layer of immersion and I really look forward to seeing how developers use it. CoD it seems pretty basic but overall I vastly prefer it to traditional rumble tech, something I've never really cared for.

Javthusiast

Banned
I obviously can't speak for the new controller, since I don't have a ps5 yet, but I am certain outside of first party the tech won't be used outside of regular rumble in the majority of third party games in 2-3 years.

Last edited:

CLW

I went in thinking it was a joke but honestly I was REALLY impressed. Will it get old? Will 3rd parties use it? Don't know but right now its honestly the ONLY thing right now that is different from PS4 gen

Kokoloko85

Did you not buy Resident Evil 1 or 2 remake’s because they are remasters??
You sound simple.

Controller is just a controller, I love it and way better than DS 4, so your not too wrong there but Demon souls is brilliant.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Having finished Astrobot and almost DS I think the controller is very nice, the haptics do a pretty good job. The triggers I'm not sure about yet. Tightening the bow in DS is weird. If you pull the trigger too fast there is no resistance, it has a lag before it activates which is weird, poor implementation I guess, it works better in Astro though and will probably see some great use down the line.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna desagree with you. I genuinely believe that anyone who calls this controller revolutionary must be a moron.

The haptics on VR was the first time I experienced it - so I wasn’t initially blown away either. But I like it a lot now - especially on the Astro game. Demons souls it adds something to as well - but I do think there is an outsized hype around it

This is a silly post. You’re opinion won’t and doesn’t reflect everyone.

You didn’t like it, we get it. Leave it at that.
Ok that’s it you’ve done it. Just what I’ve thought. You are a complete troll. Who sent you discord? lol.

Couldn’t I just as well call you a moron for having no taste in future technology advancement? GTFO.
Troll thread alert 🚨

Troll thread alert 🚨

Troll thread alert 🚨

Troll thread alert 🚨

Plot twist, you're the troll

Seriously, someone's opinion really triggers you doesn't it

On Demand

Banned
I went in thinking it was a joke but honestly I was REALLY impressed. Will it get old? Will 3rd parties use it? Don't know but right now its honestly the ONLY thing right now that is different from PS4 gen

This pretty much the universal opinion.

A lot of people thought it was a gimmick Sony was selling. Hands on impressions shocked everyone. Hardly anyone thought it was going to be as good as it is.

Did you not buy Resident Evil 1 or 2 remake’s because they are remasters??
You sound simple.

Controller is just a controller, I love it and way better than DS 4, so your not too wrong there but Demon souls is brilliant.
RE2 is a remake, not a remaster and it didn't cost 60 at launch, obviously not 70 either. I bought when it was at 19.99 which is ok for a 20 years old game that last for about 5 hours.

Don’t anger the cult.

I’m reserving judgment until my Christmas unboxing - I really hope it’s better than you say but am 50/50 on whether I’ll find it annoying or not and immediately start looking for the option to turn it off.

Well, obviously is better than the dualshock 4 but I'm betting lots of people will look for the option to just turn the haptic feedback off just like they did with rumble.

Who are these lots of people who turned rumble off. That sounds ridiculous, why wouldn't you play with rumble?

anaphase

Saw this coming. Haven't used it myself yet but all the glowing reviews were inspired by the novelty of it. I don't think anyone was paid lol.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I think it's more about the combination of effects that bring it all together. I agree that in effect you tune it out. But you have to admit the quality of feedback is much better. Some of the best effect I would say is the rain areas. Not only does the speaker sound nice but the rumble matches the light patter and increasing downpour nicely. The speakers, the haptics, the triggers on their own aren't earth shattering, but when used together it's pretty novel.

Though I was impressed and did like it, I also feel it was a bit much from the controller and if the game was longer may have turned it down, but it hasn't been a distraction on demon's souls yet so it's all on the default for me.

If you bought the console for the controller you were setting yourself up for disappointment from the beginning.

REDRZA MWS

I Actually did really like the features (adaptive triggers and haptic feedback), but sadly turned off the haptic feedback on Black ops Cold War. I noticed while playing online competitively, especially in that game where it’s full cross play, ppl on Xbox or pc didn’t have the resistance on their triggers so they were able to fire faster.For single player games and the like it adds a level of immersion, just don’t think for online multiplayer shooters it’s the way to go, puts PS5 users at a disadvange..

DinoD

The market (mainstream) will decide this. No one knows for sure. Wii controller was a gimmick (fad) but they sold a fckload of those. Kinect was popular too, but it faded away quickly and IMO tarnished Xbox360 legacy. Sony's new controller is better than the old one. Gimmicks may or may not catch on. Its a safer bet. Its not changing the control and games mechanics, as it can be turned off. If the only reason for it is to sell more PS5's based on the hype it makes sense. Hardcore gamers get better quality controller even without the gimmicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom