• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished Final Fantasy VII Remake

No it is litterally a sequel to Advent Children.

The Sephiroth you see in Part 1 is Sephiroth from Advent Children. The fates at the end are from Advent Children. Sephiroth is always there to delay your actions to change the timeline.

For example in the begining. You encounter Sephiroth the first time you should have met Areith in the streets. He delays it so the Fates attack Arieth so you see her and can meet her. And this goes through the whole game. They also confirmed it that it is a sequel. And the reason why it is calls Remake is because Sephiroth remakes history.

People back then complained that there was no part 1 in the title. But it is not a Remake it is a sequel continuing the Story after Advent Children.

if you want the full dose. Here is some of it

Yeah no. It's the same story with some tweaks. Not a sequel.

Dunki

Yeah no. It's the same story with some tweaks. Not a sequel.
No it is really a sequel. They confirmed it. Even the first ART piece of the game has proven this cine it is a one winged Angel Sephiroth.

Sephiroth travled back in time. You can also see this when you take a look how obsessed Sephiroth with Cloud it. Because he believes he is the key to everything. This was not the case in the original. It is Advent Children Sephiroth and in the end the 3 harringers are the Advent Children. Again go watch the Spoiler Cast Max can explain it much much better than I can with mmy bad english ^^

No it is really a sequel. They confirmed it. Even the first ART piece of the game has proven this cine it is a one winged Angel Sephiroth.

Sephiroth travled back in time. You can also see this when you take a look how obsessed Sephiroth with Cloud it. Because he believes he is the key to everything. This was not the case in the original. It is Advent Children Sephiroth and in the end the 3 harringers are the Advent Children. Again go watch the Spoiler Cast Max can explain it much much better than I can with mmy bad english ^^
I'm actually playing the original again after finishing remake. There's nothing that confirms it to be a sequel. And I'm pretty sure it isn't because then everyone would get mad. All this time we've been expecting a remake and you give us a different story? No way. It just differs a little, it's an updated story but it's going to happen everything as in the original.

Dunki

I'm actually playing the original again after finishing remake. There's nothing that confirms it to be a sequel. And I'm pretty sure it isn't because then everyone would get mad. All this time we've been expecting a remake and you give us a different story? No way. It just differs a little, it's an updated story but it's going to happen everything as in the original.
EVERYTHING has changed already with Zack being alive in the end. but this is not the point.

Why not invest a few minutes and actually listen to this.

I even timed it for you. 32 Minutes in. If you watch this and still believe it I can not help you anymore.

And if you really want to go all in. Go watch the Dropped Frames Podcast

Last edited:
I'm glad we got spoilers so I didn't waste my money on the game. It was falsely advertised as a remake. It'ss basically a sequel to FF7, not a real remake, since Sepiroth knows everything thats going to happen. Your fight against hthe fates at the end basically means that the next games can do whatever they want, not follow the story we thought they were going to follow.

I'm also glad most wised up to this as sales dropped quite a bit after the launch week. Sold 3.5M in 3 days. Then took 4 months to sell another 1.5M. If done right, I have no doubt this game would already be at 10M+. Maybe closing in on 15M.

Square was mad to green light this story. The next generation version won’t sell much and I bet part 2 sales will be even worse.

Convoluted stories are one way ticked to bad and diminishing sales, that’s all I’m going to say. Just don’t do it. You can have complex stories that also make everything clear in the end. Don’t understand why so many Japanese devs do this.

Astral Dog

Really liked it, the cutscenes and characters are charming,music is fantastic,cool setting, its a good linear FF game,and better than the og imo( i played it after the REmake)

I was mixed on the graphics, obviously some rough spots here and there even if the overall presentation is fantastic, and the game expands but also covers a tiny portion of the original,even then there was some boring filler, finally the last boss feels uneccesary,i understand changing things up for the grand finale, but an Advent Children like fight with Sephiroth? 🤨 too much fanservice early on without proper build up

Anyways solid 8/8.5 out of 10

Last edited:
EVERYTHING has changed already with Zack being alive in the end. but this is not the point.

Why not invest a few minutes and actually listen to this.

I even timed it for you. 32 Minutes in. If you watch this and still believe it I can not help you anymore.

And if you really want to go all in. Go watch the Dropped Frames Podcast

We don't know if he's alive though. They show him alive but he might as well be dead by the time the second one starts. We'll see

Really liked it, the cutscenes and characters are charming,music is fantastic,cool setting, its a good linear FF game,and better than the og imo( i played it after the REmake)

I was mixed on the graphics, obviously some rough spots here and there even if the overall presentation is fantastic, and the game expands but also covers a tiny portion of the original,even then there was some boring filler, finally the last boss feels uneccesary,i understand changing things up for the grand finale, but an Advent Children like fight with Sephiroth? 🤨 too much fanservice early on without proper build up

Anyways solid 8/8.5 out of 10
Yeah, that's what I didn't like. The fitb with Sephiroth was completely unnecessary.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I really liked FF7r but I can't deny I expected a bit more from Midgar itself and the gameplay structure around it. We have tons of games nowadays having big city fully explorable and interconnected yet in Square they're still pursing a level design and direction more akin to FFX and XIII, games older than a decade or two. That's the real sin of this game for me even before the discussion about the scenario starts.
Not a single gameplay progress from 2001, I find it absurd given the importance of this franchise in the genre...

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
I really liked FF7r but I can't deny I expected a bit more from Midgar itself and the gameplay structure around it. We have tons of games nowadays having big city fully explorable and interconnected yet in Square they're still pursing a level design and direction more akin to FFX and XIII, games older than a decade or two. That's the real sin of this game for me even before the discussion about the scenario starts.
Not a single gameplay progress from 2001, I find it absurd given the importance of this franchise in the genre...
Yes, because open world = good, irrespective of the narrative adjustments and bloat that addition would bring. An open world makes zero sense for this section of FF7’s story.

Dunki

We don't know if he's alive though. They show him alive but he might as well be dead by the time the second one starts. We'll see
He did not die like he supposed to do because the fates to correct the history Sephiroth changed kept them in Midgar.

But seriously why not takea few minutes at least to listen to max in the first video at 32 minutes in. If you are interested watch the whole Dropped frames cast.

mxbison

It's my first Final Fantasy game and I'm enjoying it.

What drives me totally insane though is how the game takes the controls away from you like every 30 seconds. I don't mind watching lots of long cutscenes and stuff between gameplay, but this game constantly takes the controls away from you for no reason.
Press a button? You can't just press it, the game will take over and let the character press it for you.
Jump down somewhere? Sorry, can't just jump down, game has to take over and jump down for you.
Control that robot hand? 3 seconds of character getting ready to do it, then you can control.

It's just non stop. Let me play please....

Astral Dog

While thats true, FFVII handled much better than XIII, and i would argue its still a very good linear ish rpg that tell its story well with fun combat, compared to other lesser designed open world games that may have more freedom but are boring as hell.

Now, they need to completely change things up for the sequel , and make it much more open 😳 its gonna be interesting how they differ

A.Romero

Don't know if it could be called a sequel but it's not a pure remake. A lot of things changed in this episode and pretty much set everything up so the next one can be way different.

Lethal01

While thats true, FFVII handled much better than XIII, and i would argue its still a very good linear ish rpg that tell its story well with fun combat, compared to other lesser designed open world games that may have more freedom but are boring as hell.

Now, they need to completely change things up for the sequel , and make it much more open 😳 its gonna be interesting how they differ

Yeah, I absolutely did not think that the game being linear was a negative. It was exactly as open as it needed to be when it needed to be.

That said, I do, think that there were times the level design was just super basic and boring. There is little interaction with the world outside of running around and hitting switches which makes for really uninteresting "dungeons".

That said, making the game open really isn't the solution and wouldn't work for this game, Despite what people are saying they did a great job staying true to the linearness of the original...

Now, with the reasonable answer out of the way. Would I like if part 2 let me drive across Midgar and the rest of Gaia at high speeds with Yuffie on my back? FUCK YEAH. Let me see the upper plate during the day for one.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This game set the bar for jrpg combat. It's perfect. I don't want to fight with a slime gang for 5 minutes again.

But it has some long boring cutscenes in it's first 5 hours(i'm 10 hours in). I skipped some of it tbh. And it's mostly a linear game, i would prefer a semi open world enviroment like FF 12.

DapperSloth

The game was very good but I don't like that they are changing to much! When I want to play a remake or an upgraded version of the game I want to have the same storybeats, don't fucking change the story or who dies and shit!

SkylineRKR

Cloud has Buster Sword right? So it means there are either 2 Buster Swords now, which means Zack is a paradox. Or he does indeed still have to fall. Perhaps he puts up a better fight in remake than he did in the original. But I think its Nomura bullshit with different timelines going to be at play here.

Perfo

Yes, because open world = good, irrespective of the narrative adjustments and bloat that addition would bring. An open world makes zero sense for this section of FF7’s story.
We are talking of an open city first of all, which is slightly a different approach than that of a full open world. Regardless I think an approach such as that would've given Midgar, a supposedly huge metropolis, a... ahem, feeling like actual city? Imagine driving your bike around, catching the subway and such. For me that would be freaking exciting given the setting.

What we got instead was a re-imagining of the story in the same identical gameplay setup and level design of the original. For a title the prides itself about bringing something new to the table I'm not seeing much novelty at all aside from some unnecessary scenario twists.

It's a fantastic game but a super safe at that, where not many risks or challenges have been taken. For a series that can drive the genre forward, they really didn't move an inch from where they were in 2001 (/1997).

Last edited:
I wouldn't have liked an open world midgar at all, but there are some areas that look so small like hallways. They should at least look more open. I believe the problem Is on the different cities
We are talking of an open city first of all, which is slightly a different approach than that of a full open world. Regardless I think an approach such as that would've given Midgar, a supposedly huge metropolis, a... ahem, feeling like actual city? Imagine driving your bike around, catching the subway and such. For me that would be freaking exciting given the setting.

What we got instead was a re-imagining of the story in the same identical gameplay setup and level design of the original. For a title the prides itself about bringing something new to the table I'm not seeing much novelty at all aside from some unnecessary scenario twists.

It's a fantastic game but a super safe at that, where not many risks or challenges have been taken. For a series that can drive the genre forward, they really didn't move an inch from where they were in 2001 (/1997).
Lol wtf. Nobody wanted that. What they should have done though was design better the slums and wall market. They are practically identical to FFVII.

Perfo

Lol wtf. Nobody wanted that.

I wouldn't have liked an open world midgar at all, but there are some areas that look so small like hallways. They should at least look more open. I believe the problem Is on the different cities

Lol wtf. Nobody wanted that. What they should have done though was design better the slums and wall market. They are practically identical to FFVII.
I'm speaking for myself, but if you can really figure out what the whole fractured ff7 fanbase really wanted illuminate me. I've been a fan for decades and I swear there's never been a common ground on anything among us fans 😆

Jokes aside, we are obviously talking what we expected, and each of us as you can see have different opinions. I always been against, for example, a 1:1 remake as many claimed to want, so you can't be surprised if I wanted even more changes than what the remake brought to the table.

It's a remake right? Take your chance and make something really different or leave it to our memories.

Last edited:
I'm speaking for myself, but if you can really figure out what the whole fractured ff7 fanbase really wanted illuminate me. I've been a fan for decades and I swear there's never been a common ground on anything among us fans 😆

Jokes aside, we are obviously talking what we expected, and each of us as you can see have different opinions. I always been against, for example, a 1:1 remake as many claimed to want, so you can't be surprised if I wanted even more changes than what the remake brought to the table.

It's a remake right? Take your chance and make something really different or leave it to our memories.
I just don't understand the point. Why would I want something completely different from the original? Wouldn't that be just a new game then?

I've just completed FF7R, which is the first Final Fantasy game I've ever played - though it definitely won't be the last.

I had such a blast playing through the game, and getting to know and care for the likes of Cloud, Tifa, Aerith and Barret, and even Red XIII. Considering how good the source material was (or so I was told), I wasn't worried about the game's foundations; the story, characters, universe, art direction, soundtrack are some of the best I've seen in a video game. The combat system was fun and the boss fights were thoroughly engaging. And BAW GAWD, dat Chapter 9!

Graphics were uneven to say the least, especially coming off Control. The main characters, and the interior levels were well modelled, and the cutscenes sublime, but can't say the same about the NPCs, the jpeg-level backgrounds (particularly those around chapters 14-15) and the horrible texture pop-in issues. Given the game's rather limited "scope" (i.e., corridors, no open world), I was expecting the PS4 version (especially on Pro) to look like the PS5 version (minus the 4K and/or 60fps).

A few other (minor) points:
  • The side quests, particularly those in Chapter 3, were pretty bad - puts AC Odyssey's to shame. I wish they'd replace all the fetch side quests with perhaps an additional dungeon which they could have shoe-horned into the main story somehow
  • Feels to me like the progression system, especially with materia, was designed for New Game+ (Hard) in mind... especially given how scarce fighting actually was in the game and the limited grinding opportunities. it's a shame because I loved the combat system and was yearning for more fights throughout the game.
  • Some areas felt really empty - maybe I missed something, but why was Shinra's HQ not crawling with security beyond the garage area? I was expecting a Shenmue II Yellow Head Building-like fight through each floor, but instead just got some platforming and an elevator ride. Same with Chapter 15 to some extent, as we're led to believe that Shinra is preventing any ascent topside, and yet we easily made it.
  • Which leads me to pacing issues, again well-documented. It felt to me like the game was on speed or some shit through the last 4 chapters.
  • I hope they allow for a semi-open world in the next instalment. I don't necessarily mind the corridors every now and then, but it became a little tiring by the end. I hope this was simply a function of the game's setting in Midgar

Despite all that, I am very much looking forward to the next instalments of FF7 Remake. In the meantime, I'll probably go and play the original, and other Final Fantasy games.

Last edited:

Madflavor

It's definitely my favorite game of 2020, which is funny considering there are games that came out that year that are technically better made games. TLoU2 for example is better than FFVII Remake, but it's also a miserable nightmare, that stays a miserable nightmare from beginning to end. On the other hand FFVII:R is just an absolute joy to play through. It's got everything in it. Serious moments, comedy, cheesiness, darkness, heartpounding action, it's just a rollercoaster. I can't wait for Part 2.

Aenima

Playing it now on hard dificulty, and enjoying the extra challenge as you cant use items and ur MP dosent recover in benches.

The fact that the characters are already level 50 and have the weapons and materias evolved from the previous run, help in balancing the dificulty, so its not too hard, but requires a little more preparation.

PolterGhast07

Neo Member
I'd say it was alright. For taking so long to come out, I'd certainly expect more, but it was far from as mind numbing as KH3 was. 6.5/10

It's definitely my favorite game of 2020, which is funny considering there are games that came out that year that are technically better made games. TLoU2 for example is better than FFVII Remake, but it's also a miserable nightmare, that stays a miserable nightmare from beginning to end. On the other hand FFVII:R is just an absolute joy to play through. It's got everything in it. Serious moments, comedy, cheesiness, darkness, heartpounding action, it's just a rollercoaster. I can't wait for Part 2.
Final Fantasy VII is like fresh air. Finally someone makes a game that is actually FUN and not a fucking melodrama like GoW and TLoU. Games take themselves too seriously now. What happened to playing something because is fun and not because of the story? I swear this writers and directors seem like hollywood failures who wanted to make movies instead.

Perfo

I just don't understand the point. Why would I want something completely different from the original? Wouldn't that be just a new game then?

Well I guess the basic idea would be for the devs to make possible what technology at that time couldn't allow them to do.

Well I guess the basic idea would be for the devs to make possible what technology at that time couldn't allow them to do.
I don't see it. If the original were open world then yeah, sure, but it wasn't, at least midgard part. Obviously second one has to be open world a lot more.

Lethal01

I don't see it. If the original were open world then yeah, sure, but it wasn't, at least midgard part. Obviously second one has to be open world a lot more.

It's been 20 years, some people want to see a bit more of Midgar that just a couple street at night again. Don't have to be open world but they could have expanded on that way more.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Finally, after waiting for 7 years I finally finished Final Fantasy VII Remake and all I have to say is it was great. I don't know if anyone who didn't played the original would like it though, the game seems to be fan service, just a mean to tell you an updated story and it does a great job at it. I would say it's an 8 out of 10 with some 9s in between and a couple of 10s moments.

I don't get the hate for the game, those who didn't like it, what were you expecting? What I really loved is that it isn't just a boring copy of the original a la Demon's Souls, but the original reimagined. It still gives you the main point but you'll get it a little different which for me it was the best decision they could've be make because this way we get a new game, lets call it an alternate FFVII.

So for those who already finished the game what did you like or didn't like about it?

My problem with the game feels old on a cool outfit, more like this:

NxljxQ0.gif

Waiting for the PS5 version to continue playing it.

It's been 20 years, some people want to see a bit more of Midgar that just a couple street at night again. Don't have to be open world but they could have expanded on that way more.
That's the thing, there wasn't more of midgard. Wr were promised a remake, not an alternate FFVIII. As a remake I think it is great and on par with what we were expecting. Even non fans liked it.

NahaNago

Realistically they could have never made midgar city. Squareenix is just not great at making cities. They do great at making the cg views of a city but the actual city not so much. Granted I really was hoping to explore more of the city because of all of the city shots we got.

Ixion

Realistically they could have never made midgar city. Squareenix is just not great at making cities. They do great at making the cg views of a city but the actual city not so much. Granted I really was hoping to explore more of the city because of all of the city shots we got.

Yeah, Square might not have given us a fully open city, but one of the aspects of FF7R that stood out the most to me were the backdrops, which really left you with a sense of wonder. Granted a couple of them were low-res (and will be getting fixed for the PS5 version thankfully), but I think Square took advantage of the limitations to add to the dreamy and mysterious atmosphere. And ultimately, it makes the game stand out.

Ryu Kaiba

The ending is very chaotic. All that with annoying Aerith saying "we can do it" all the time. Sephiroth is not a mystery anymore, also Cloud's brainshit stuff is now so obvious. They even showed Zack... good God.

Not what I expected.
its a sequel.

Kev Kev

Yeah, Square might not have given us a fully open city, but one of the aspects of FF7R that stood out the most to me were the backdrops, which really left you with a sense of wonder. Granted a couple of them were low-res (and will be getting fixed for the PS5 version thankfully), but I think Square took advantage of the limitations to add to the dreamy and mysterious atmosphere. And ultimately, it makes the game stand out.
Sector 7 during the daytime backdrop is amazing. I never thought about what it would or should look like, but they nailed it. Every time I play through this game I stop and check out this backdrop for a couple minutes.

FINAL-FANTASY-VII-REMAKE_20200331005109.jpg

NahaNago

The limitation of the hardware during the ps1 era is what made squareenix creativeness in making the characters and cities so unique and charming. I honestly think it was more because of luck that they managed to create a dreamy and mysterious atmosphere. You get the amazing backdrop and then you actual travel around and the area is some narrow path that looks like an old ps3 game. I wonder if they would actually take advantage of the fact that they are great at making impressive views of a city or environment and use that to make a game. Pretty much playing to their strengths.

Lethal01

That's the thing, there wasn't more of midgard. Wr were promised a remake, not an alternate FFVIII. As a remake I think it is great and on par with what we were expecting. Even non fans liked it.

Like I said... Not asking for an open world. Just a bit more. Like give me just 20 minutes where it doesn't feel like the city is a bit wider and more vertical that what we got and I'd be happy.

This remake let us see the Slums during daytime, That's a huge expansion to me. I just wish they could have made Chapter 4 (which takes place on the plate) or a plate section in the Yuffie DLC also take place during the day so that just once we could explore it when it's not night.

I just think it's a small thing they could do that would mix things.

Last edited:
Huge fan of the original, still got my black label copy, I was 9. Huge fan of Remake. Clearly, some temporal tomfoolery is afoot, to what degree, I am not sure, but I like that aspect of it. My primary fear, was that it would be too Kingdom Hearty, but thankfully, that's not the case. I do wish Midgar would of been more explorable, but that would of been hard to do, as they obviously were gunning for a certain presentation quality aspect of it.

A few of my childhood buddies that I grew up with it have their gripes about it, primarily that it's not turn based in the classical sense, but that's all I've really heard as far as complaints go. Honestly, the biggest misconception that people have is that it's a remaster, and it's not, hence the word Remake, to Re-Make something for the purpose of changing things. Super excited for Intergrade and the additional DLC.

I am concerned, about anything Crisis Core making it into FF7 Remake Pt.2, because for me, it's mostly a cringe fest of story and characters, that stuff was dicey then, and it certainly hasn't aged well.

NahaNago

Like I said... Not asking for an open world. Just a bit more. Like give me just 20 minutes where it doesn't feel like the city is a bit wider and more vertical that what we got and I'd be happy.

This remake let us see the Slums during daytime, That's a huge expansion to me. I just wish they could have made Chapter 4 (which takes place on the plate) or a plate section in the Yuffie DLC also take place during the day so that just once we could explore it when it's not night.

I just think it's a small thing they could do that would mix things.
The slums were a disappointment to me. Honestly was expecting simply a lot more in this day and age. Like they should have maybe visited some slums in other parts of asia and africa in order to get a better idea of the size and density. I just want too much I think from an ff7 game. Then again the game honestly does feel like a ps1 remake but it should have been a reimagining since the game is so old.

Huge fan of the original, still got my black label copy, I was 9. Huge fan of Remake. Clearly, some temporal tomfoolery is afoot, to what degree, I am not sure, but I like that aspect of it. My primary fear, was that it would be too Kingdom Hearty, but thankfully, that's not the case. I do wish Midgar would of been more explorable, but that would of been hard to do, as they obviously were gunning for a certain presentation quality aspect of it.

A few of my childhood buddies that I grew up with it have their gripes about it, primarily that it's not turn based in the classical sense, but that's all I've really heard as far as complaints go. Honestly, the biggest misconception that people have is that it's a remaster, and it's not, hence the word Remake, to Re-Make something for the purpose of changing things. Super excited for Intergrade and the additional DLC.

I am concerned, about anything Crisis Core making it into FF7 Remake Pt.2, because for me, it's mostly a cringe fest of story and characters, that stuff was dicey then, and it certainly hasn't aged well.
Additional DLC? Has this been confirmed? I read somewhere that they weren't actually planning any DLC at all and that Yuffie chapter was always envisioned for the PS5 version, but that they weren't going to mkar anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom