• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished Final Fantasy VII Remake

I think you got it wrong. Cloud did beat him but that was before the original FFVII events, that's why he's supposed to be dead. That's how the story playa out on the original too.
Yeah, for some reason people don't seem to realize that eah, for some reason people don't seem to realize that
Sephiroth is dead the entirety of FFVII. When you see him encased in the materia in the Northern Crater is the first time you actually see him.
Personally, I thought there were some areas where the Remake could have been improved, but overall I thought they did a really good job. They exceeded expectations in areas I would have never imagined they would (world building, character designs, the "feeling" of Midgar, music, battle system), but then it ended up as I feared in others (the padding, the ending). I am actually ok with the implications of the ending (things changing), but the actual ending is such generic anime crap that it sort of leaves a sour taste.

Really excited to see where they go from here, hopefully with a better budget and tighter direction so that they don't have to pad so much.

Last edited:
The game is absolutely brilliant my only complaint and it is personal as it does not affect the game in any negative way is the combat system is not really my cup of tea but as a whole it fits the game perfectly and I did not let that detract from my complete love of the game.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Winking at the players? You the fanbase that already played the original many times over the past 23 years and were demanding a remake since the 6th gen? God forbid you change some story beats to surprise the sweat heads that have been obsessed with your game right? And you call expanding the story and the characters of Jessie and the rest of Avallanche, fleshing out Midgard, the world building of the game and giving you more bang for your buck a waste of time? You people love to whine Thank God you're a minority.
Who gives a fuck about some shit side characters that die 3 hours into the original game? Oh boo hoo, Jessie wanted to be an actress. First of all she's from a privileged family frauding and her personality is "I wanna fuck Cloud" or "I make tech." Midgar is hardly fleshed out. Running around Sector 1 at the start was cool, and the underground of Sector 7 could have been good if the retcon ghosts weren't like "Gooooooooo baaaaaaaack." Everything else is the same. The Wutai focus is rectifying a mistake from the original but it's making them seem like a secret super power instead of a downtrodden people.

Also I'm not even a big fan of the original game, I grew up with it but I don't froth at the mouth or start nostalgia crying about it.

Last edited:
Yeah, for some reason people don't seem to realize that eah, for some reason people don't seem to realize that
Sephiroth is dead the entirety of FFVII. When you see him encased in the materia in the Northern Crater is the first time you actually see him.
Personally, I thought there were some areas where the Remake could have been improved, but overall I thought they did a really good job. They exceeded expectations in areas I would have never imagined they would (world building, character designs, the "feeling" of Midgar, music, battle system), but then it ended up as I feared in others (the padding, the ending). I am actually ok with the implications of the ending (things changing), but the actual ending is such generic anime crap that it sort of leaves a sour taste.

Really excited to see where they go from here, hopefully with a better budget and tighter direction so that they don't have to pad so much.
I guess they never played the original and are just repeating things they hear.

That's why they are showed as nemesis, because Cloud was the one that stopped him and killed him before the events. Also, Zack's part happened before the events of FFVII.

A.Romero

I just finished it last night and I was planning to do a LTTP thread but this works as well.

-- Context of what FF7 means to me, not really about this game.
First of all: FF7 has a really special place in my heart and gaming history. When I was a kid I rented Chrono Trigger and fell in love with it. I didn't have money for games and that kind of game was really expensive in my country (Nintendo had a really shitty way to deal with Latin America back then) so I could never really finished it and despite later on trying to relive the experience with other games like breath of fire it just wasn't the same.

A few years later a friend of mine got a Playstation and I heard of FF7 so I decided to get it and play it on his console. Now, back then I barely understood English and my access to gaming media was pretty limited but Final Fantasy was guaranteed to be a good game in my mind, after all, it was from the creators of CT. It really didn't disappoint. It became an instant classic for me, fell in love with the story, the characters and even the villain. Because I didn't have a Playstation I could only play when I visited my friend and the fact that we didn't have a great handle on the language it took a long time but we eventually finished it. My friend liked it so much that years later he 100% it. First time I got to see a game time counter maxed out.

It wasn't until Crisis Core's release that I finally knew that I really didn't understood FF7 (I never got around to play it again). After Crisis Core the game became even more interesting to me. Tried to play it again but I couldn't handle the gameplay mechanics anymore (too slow, too long for my taste) so I settled with reading interpretations and explanations online. When the Remake was announced I was hyped. When I found out it was supposed to be episodic my hype went lower but still interested. So I got in touch with my friend (the one I shared FF7 with back then) and told him about it. He is not into games anymore, we are both into our late 30's and live in different cities but we had a plan: he would take a plane so we could play together. The pandemic came and we had to cancel our plans so I decided no to get the game, specially after playing the demo and not being instantly hooked. I'd wait for the PC port and maybe once it was released my friend could come and we could play together. However, having the game on Plus is too much temptation so I called him and told him I would play it anyway.
-- Conext ends

I started playing the game blank on anything related to it. Didn't read reviews, story descriptions or anything. I just looked at the trailers and that's it. I knew it was episodic and I knew it would cover the events on Midgar only. Wasn't really happy about it but still, it's FF7. I'd take a modern remake in whatever shape or form it happens if anything just for the nostalgia. I mean, I have spent hours on meaningless shitty games, right? The game played OK (much better than the original battle system), it looks great (at first) and has really good production values. Despite knowing the overall story I don't really remember the details so I knew the Avalanche crew existed and the fact that some of them died at some point so I feel I'm not bound to compare it to the original. I also remember what is the deal with Cloud, Sephiroth (one of my fav characters ever), Tifa, Aerith and the rest of the gang but just at a very high level.

So I pushed through the game. Not really enjoying it that much because it all happens in Midgar and I hate backtracking with a passion. Still, decided to go through al the side quests and stuff. It was fun to play. Very action packed. Dialog is not that good but the original one wasn't either. Learn the mechanics with the materias (pretty much the same as the older one), upgrading weapons, etc. However, when reaching the last chapter I couldn't quickly find the quest triggers for the last 5 or 6 quests so I decided to go to the last section. I constantly thought "that's it, this is the last section of the game" but the game just refused to end. I spent 13 hours sitting in my couch today. Last time something like that happened I was playing Uncharted 4 and I was high on LSD. Not because the game is that engaging but I wanted to be over with it for some reason. Then the actual final part of the game came.

To be honest it blew my mind. It was so much better that I could have expected. Yes, it's anime writing, it has many potential plot holes and a lot of things don't make sense (I really wonder how people without any experience on the FF7 universe assimilated all) but it was a great way to make FF7 Remake into it's own thing by nodding to it's predecessor but at the same time opening up for any number of ways to continue on. If the game itself is a 7 (lol) for me, the ending took it to a 9. I'm now really interested in what happens next.
Will they bring Zack back? Will they kill Aerith or not? (My theory is that you will have to fight Zack in order to kill Aerith so the earth has a chance).
The game had a non sensical story originally (but at least it was fun and had some degree of congruence within it's own boundaries) so I don't think anything was lost. Quite the opposite, I believe they can make everything so much better.

I really disliked the way they handled the backdrops when you are climbing to the upper plates or whenever they want to represent something far away. Not only they were playing fucking pictures but they seemed to be so lower res than the rest of the game (playing on a OG PS4/4K screen). I mean, WTF. It's a 2020 game, wasn't there a better way to deal with that? I seriously hope they improve the tech vastly for the follow ups, specially if they are opening up the world.

YukiOnna

I really disliked the way they handled the backdrops when you are climbing to the upper plates or whenever they want to represent something far away. Not only they were playing fucking pictures but they seemed to be so lower res than the rest of the game (playing on a OG PS4/4K screen). I mean, WTF. It's a 2020 game, wasn't there a better way to deal with that? I seriously hope they improve the tech vastly for the follow ups, specially if they are opening up the world.
Are you talking about the textures? Thankfully the PS5 version fixed that based on the videos, lol. The backdrop already looked better in Youtube video alone.

A.Romero

Are you talking about the textures? Thankfully the PS5 version fixed that based on the videos, lol. The backdrop already looked better in Youtube video alone.

Well, textures do take some time to load but it doesn't bother me that much. What I found really annoying is the backgrounds that you get to see in some missions when the environments are more open. For example, when in the upper plate you can see the slums in the background and it just looks horrible. Really breaks the immersion and messes up the presentation.

This is an example (not my pic, stolen from google):

y2jmjpj.jpg

Shit like this can be seen in several sections of the game but were particularly noticeable when looking at the slums from above.

YukiOnna

Well, textures do take some time to load but it doesn't bother me that much. What I found really annoying is the backgrounds that you get to see in some missions when the environments are more open. For example, when in the upper plate you can see the slums in the background and it just looks horrible. Really breaks the immersion and messes up the presentation.

y2jmjpj.jpg

Shit like this can be seen in several sections of the game but were particularly noticeable when looking at the slums from above.
Yeah. I believe they highlighted this is fixed:
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE – PS5 Features Video - YouTube

Celcius

°Temp. member
Best game of last generation imo. I really like the changes they made with regards to giving Jesse a much bigger role in the story. The music and graphics are amazing as expected, and the gameplay is much better than I thought it would be.

MrJTeera

Love the gameplay, the mission structure, but I can’t stand the meta narrative they’re going with near the end.

It fails to explain newcomers properly.

It fails to entertain me as a returning fan.

It confuses everyone in the end, but no, if you hate the ending, you’re just a tryhard fanboy.

Games can no longer be in your heart, it belongs to the masses now, define by votings and polls and popular opinions.

I miss the days when devs take criticism harshly and seriously, instead of scrolling to see some ass-kissing post and feel better.

y2jmjpj.jpg

Well, why you just don't look at it?

Mozzarella

Its good game but i had some issues with it the bothered me, the original is better imo.

I liked:
- Soundtrack
- Art Direction
- Some of the characters
- Gameplay (Minigames and Combat)

Neutral:
- Story (had some good segments and some bad ones)
- Some of the characters
- Some of the gameplay choices like respawning enemies, didnt mind to fight them over and over but it kinda makes the levels a slog if you like to backtrack.
- RPG elements like materia systems and skill trees
- Level Design

Disliked:
- Side Quest addition (ridiculous, awful to stretch out the game, damages the pacing because they feel unnecessary and stupid)
- Party A.I is awful
- Changes from the OG FF7
- Addition development on shallow characters like Jesse felt unrewarding and not needed.
- Cringy lines that takes off the experience during important moments.

I could write more but thats just what came to my mind at the moment. Instead of changing it like that i wouldve liked a more branching storyline and a more interesting variety in items/tools and in rpg mechanics, but no somehow they decided to add awful side quests and story pieces that makes no sense.

Overall i think its a pretty good game, but in gaming websites i rate it 4/5 but my personal rating goes between a 7 and 8 depending on what i remember, if i listen to the awesome soundtrack then its 8, if i remember the side quests, changes, padding especially during later chapters then it goes to 7.
But its still a good JRPG compared the the mediocre JRPG games we have been getting since the year 2005+ And its also good compared to the previous mediocre Final Fantasy games like 13 and 15.

Silvawuff

Loved it! I enjoyed the original FFVII and thought Remake did everything right. Excited for the DLC. Call me a fangirl, I will accept this.

Sometimes you have to dive in and enjoy something for what it is — a love letter to the people who like FFVII, and a good introduction to the world and characters for neophytes to the franchise.

Neff

I think the teams explanation for that was plausible. Everyone knows Sephiroth already.

New human beings are born all the time. I literally had to explain to a 19 year old at work who Sephiroth was since the game gives zero context or explanation regarding his inclusion except for a hasty summary near the end.

I don't buy their reasoning, and the way he was presented was a waste of a great character.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hopefully they nail Sephiroth in part 2 and give him the character development he deserves. Great opportunity to do that from the start with the Nibelheim flashback and Kalm.

Xeaker

Sephiroth barely even knew who Cloud was. From Sephiroth's POV, Cloud was a grunt he only got to know because they shared a ride, and Cloud was the type of pansy that got motion sickness in a van.
Cloud later summoning the strength to throw Sephiroth into the Lifestream comes as a complete surprise to the legendary SOLDIER, because he had already forgotten Cloud existed.
To Cloud, Sephiroth is an arch-nemesis. To Sephiroth, Cloud is just a means to an end.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I borrowed the game from a friend and truth be told, I put it down and walked away.

While I do like seeing Cloud and Tifa characterized better, the overwhelming stereotyping of other characters was painful and entirely a turn off. The combat system is great and I have no complaints about it, so good on them. For me the nail in the coffin, so to speak, was the seemingly endless bits of new content that felt like badly written fanfiction. To be frank, I liked Advent Children for all of three watches and subsequent games had me gritting my teeth until it became unbearable. Some characters feel like sorry attempts at anime tropes and others feel like blatant rips of anime characters reskinned. I dis not pick this up to suddenly be playing a weird amalgamation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and the endless stream of Shonen anime that is popular right now. I understand that it is probably a large influence, but come on...I can't take take this game seriously.

All of this combined with an incredibly toxic fanbase that's been around since the base game came out (I admit that being a convention goer and a tiktok user makes this a bigger deal for me than others) has just turned me off the story as a whole. And now with Cloud and Sephiroth in Smash, I'm just done with VII entirely. I'll keep the few good fans I know close to me, but I no longer have any interest in this game. I'm really disappointed in you Square Enix.

And before I leave: I really don't judge anyone for liking it, it really is a fun system and has a lot of good things in it. This is not an attempt at an attack and I am cheering you all on as you continue to love the story.

Last edited:

Green_Eyes

I get that people have differing opinions and all, but I really can't fathom how anyone who was even a slight fan of the original could like this game. Even from a gameplay perspective, the game really just plays itself 90% of the time. The game has no atmosphere, especially when compared to the original.

Everything about the game was so damn shallow, and I don't wanna be an asshole but damn guys, up your standards a little...

Last edited:
I'm glad we got spoilers so I didn't waste my money on the game. It was falsely advertised as a remake. It'ss basically a sequel to FF7, not a real remake, since Sepiroth knows everything thats going to happen. Your fight against hthe fates at the end basically means that the next games can do whatever they want, not follow the story we thought they were going to follow.

I'm also glad most wised up to this as sales dropped quite a bit after the launch week. Sold 3.5M in 3 days. Then took 4 months to sell another 1.5M. If done right, I have no doubt this game would already be at 10M+. Maybe closing in on 15M.

Ixion

One of my favorite games of the last generation. Replayed it immediately after beating it, which I rarely do.

The combat, music, characters, and just overall style of the game are top-notch. And while there are certainly a few sections of the game that could have been cut, the game makes up for that by also having some of the coolest sequences I've ever played. The original FF7 is one of my favorite games, but I'm able to enjoy FF7R as something new and separate.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Well, why you just don't look at it?

I guess I like to suffer by not ignoring something that takes up to 40% of the screen at times.

I forgot to mention that I was annoyed at how they handled Sephiroth as well. I love that he knows what's coming and he is trying a different approach. I don't like that we got to fight him in this game. It's too early. Maybe they should have made it clear that it wasn't him by having him turn into one of those hooded guys. Sephiroth needs to feel like an unbeatable threat. At least it's how I remember feeling in the original game. That's what makes the final fight so sweet: after dozens of hours and challenges you get to fight (and hopefully beat!) this huge mad monster. I felt it was too easy this time.

I revisited some of the FF lore recently and there are a few things to consider and have been mentioned in this thread:
- Sephiroth didn't give a shit about Cloud. He was actually a kind of decent guy until he found out what his origins were. Cloud attacked Sephiroth from the back after seeing Tifa on the ground. Even if Sephiroth was surprised, still Cloud wasn't a match for him. Sephiroth fell to the lifestream and Cloud laid there agonizing.
- After that Cloud gets more powerful because he is subject to experiments (together with Zack). This is why Cloud finally gets to be something similar to a First Class Soldier and why he has a relationship with Sephiroth/Jenova and why he calls Jenova mother in one of his hallucinations during FF7 Remake.
- Zack escapes carrying Cloud and eventually sets to Midgar to rejoin Aerith. However, Shinra's army gets in the way, killing Zack. Just before he dies he gets to talk to Cloud and gives him the Buster sword (which was Angeal's family heirloom). Cloud loses his memory afterwards and somehow thinks he is Zack. He continues towards Midgar and this is where FF7 begins.
- So basically while Sephiroth did know Cloud, he didn't care about him. He cares now because he evidently knows the future of the original timeline. I, as many here, think that Sephiroth manipulated Cloud and the rest so destiny, through the whispers, would not intervene so actually has a shot now at both, destroying earth and continue with Jenova's mission.

Fbh

I thought it was amazing.

It's clearly not perfect, some of the sidequests could have been better, the level design is way too linear and the visuals are very uneven (it goes from being one of the best looking games I've played on Ps4 in some areas, to borderline looking like a Ps3 game in others)

But overall it was a fantastic experience. The combat system and bosses were amazing, it's one of the very first team based real time combat systems I've truly enjoyed in a JRPG, the presentation is mostly great, I loved the soundtrack and even though I don't like some of the story changes introduced towards the end, I did enjoy the overall storytelling. I also love how they kept most of the silly stuff, as I was afraid they'd go for a overly serious tone.

I understand people that wanted a more faithful 1:1 remake but personally I tend to find those boring. I get more enjoyment from stuff like a cool new battle system and way cooler boss fights than just playing the exact same game again with nicer visuals.

Last edited:
I guess I like to suffer by not ignoring something that takes up to 40% of the screen at times.

I forgot to mention that I was annoyed at how they handled Sephiroth as well. I love that he knows what's coming and he is trying a different approach. I don't like that we got to fight him in this game. It's too early. Maybe they should have made it clear that it wasn't him by having him turn into one of those hooded guys. Sephiroth needs to feel like an unbeatable threat. At least it's how I remember feeling in the original game. That's what makes the final fight so sweet: after dozens of hours and challenges you get to fight (and hopefully beat!) this huge mad monster. I felt it was too easy this time.

I revisited some of the FF lore recently and there are a few things to consider and have been mentioned in this thread:
- Sephiroth didn't give a shit about Cloud. He was actually a kind of decent guy until he found out what his origins were. Cloud attacked Sephiroth from the back after seeing Tifa on the ground. Even if Sephiroth was surprised, still Cloud wasn't a match for him. Sephiroth fell to the lifestream and Cloud laid there agonizing.
- After that Cloud gets more powerful because he is subject to experiments (together with Zack). This is why Cloud finally gets to be something similar to a First Class Soldier and why he has a relationship with Sephiroth/Jenova and why he calls Jenova mother in one of his hallucinations during FF7 Remake.
- Zack escapes carrying Cloud and eventually sets to Midgar to rejoin Aerith. However, Shinra's army gets in the way, killing Zack. Just before he dies he gets to talk to Cloud and gives him the Buster sword (which was Angeal's family heirloom). Cloud loses his memory afterwards and somehow thinks he is Zack. He continues towards Midgar and this is where FF7 begins.
- So basically while Sephiroth did know Cloud, he didn't care about him. He cares now because he evidently knows the future of the original timeline. I, as many here, think that Sephiroth manipulated Cloud and the rest so destiny, through the whispers, would not intervene so actually has a shot now at both, destroying earth and continue with Jenova's mission.
I was kidding. But I just don't agree on this sequel thing. What sequence or flashback tell us something about the feature? If I remember correctly it shows only past events.

base

Banned
Sephiroth barely even knew who Cloud was. From Sephiroth's POV, Cloud was a grunt he only got to know because they shared a ride, and Cloud was the type of pansy that got motion sickness in a van.
Cloud later summoning the strength to throw Sephiroth into the Lifestream comes as a complete surprise to the legendary SOLDIER, because he had already forgotten Cloud existed.
To Cloud, Sephiroth is an arch-nemesis. To Sephiroth, Cloud is just a means to an end.
To Cloud Sephiroth will always be his arch-enemy. The guy killed his mom, stabbed Tifa, burned down his hometown and on top of that he ruined Cloud's dreams about becoming second Sephiroth. He was legendary to him.

A.Romero

I was kidding. But I just don't agree on this sequel thing. What sequence or flashback tell us something about the feature? If I remember correctly it shows only past events.

It shows future events going by the OG timeline.

Of the top of my head:

- Red XIII (or his descendants?) running toward Midgar from the end of FF7. I think he even comments on it saying that "this is what the future holds if we fail" or something to that effect
- Several flashbacks of Aerith being killed
- The actual meteorite event from the end of FF7

I mean... It's not a Remake once stuff changes as drastically as it seems it did but it's also not a sequel as it doesn't continue the story from the original. I guess it could be called a reimaging.

Aenima

Also just finished my 1st run. Yeah im gonna play it again on hard dificulty now. I loved it.

As a huge fan of the original game, this "remake of the 1st CD" of the original, was quite great. Loved the characters designs, the music, the amount of diferent enemies and bosses, the combat was actually much better than i expected, but i would still rather play it in a true turn based instead of this hybrid action system that uses alot of the mechanics used in the original turn based system.

For the fans of the original, is great to remember the story, characters and locations beautifully recreated in modern 3D with real time cutscenes that look as good as CGI.

I dont know how anyone new to the FF7 world will feel by playing just this game. What made FF7 a classic and one of the best games ever, is that it was an epic story and adventure that takes the characters to all corners of the world, and FF7 Remake, was just the beginning of that epic adventure.

Curious to see how are they going to aproach the game mechanics now that the future games stories are outside Midgar. Are they going open world, or keep telling the story in a linear way?

Last edited:
I dont know how anyone new to the FF7 world will feel by playing just this game
You found one. Never played the original and didn’t have a clue about any of the characters or story except some of their names. I did play the demo that I regret doing because it spoiled me very impressive intro. Finished the game at 3AM last night (because game just refused to end in the last few chapters) and watched the spectacular finale.

Safe to say creators of this thing sure didn’t care a lot explaining much about anything to the newcomers. Actually, this is like sticking a finger in the eye of any innocent newcomer just wanting to play shiny new FF. Yes, you can follow the story despite oddities and unexplainable occurrences (like what is this guy just occasionally creating and vanishing himself out of thin air in front of me as he pleases and why does he hate me and everything else so much). But, it’s all tolerable up until you finish that last highway battle and cross to other realm I guess. From then on, it’s complete bonkers. I had no freaking idea what’s going on. You end up on another planet (or moon)? What? 😆

But as an information nerd, I studied the whole thing afterwards on FF fandom and now it makes more sense but still, it would’ve felt better knowing all this beforehand because all the stuff happening right from the beginning would made much or all the sense.

Now, my biggest complaint is that game is painfully old-school linear. Corridors after corridors with slight detours for chest or boxes. Combat is stellar in my opinion but should’ve been a bit harder on normal, I died 2 times I think overall in 40h, that doesn’t sound good. Perfect combination of turn-based and live action though. Also, can someone explain how, in a game filled with such a sexual tension, we didn’t get a proper romance between Cloud and someone? Like Tidus and Yuna for example. Unbelievable really.

Materia system is very good and weapon abilities, it all fits well. Why only 3 character parties at the time, why not 4 though? Strange. Mini games and side quests were satisfying, no complaints. Cloud has some Geralt similarities. Graphics mostly top-notch with some already mentioned jarring exceptions. Cutscenes still the best in the industry.

Looking forward to Part 2. Not sure if I should but I’m FF junkie so...😁

Last edited:

Paulxo87

some of my friends are now playing it for the first time.. I'm getting strong cravings to finish my hard mode game I haven't touched it since last summer but I'm 'gonna be strong and wait for the ps5 upgrade in june.

Aenima

Now, my biggest complaint is that game is painfully old-school linear. Corridors after corridors with slight detours for chest or boxes. Combat is stellar in my opinion but should’ve been a bit harder on normal, I died 2 times I think overall in 40h, that doesn’t sound good. Perfect combination of turn-based and live action though. Also, can someone explain how, in a game filled with such a sexual tension, we didn’t get a proper romance between Cloud and someone? Like Tidus and Yuna for example. Unbelievable really.
Glad you enjoyed it.

The thing is in the original all that happened in Midgar is much more fast paced and you do it in 15 or 20 hours. Its also very linear in the original but once you leave midgar you are free to explore the world and find new locations. Its like one of the biggest exciting moments of the game. The original FF7 has a date option that happens further in the story where you can choose if you go out in a date with Tifa or Aerith. Im actually pretty curious to see what they gonna do with the location where the date happens as its one of the most iconic locations from the FF7. But they dont put too much focus on romance in this game. FF8 is the one with big focus in a romance story.

AmuroChan

For me, it was a good 7/10 game. I liked the reimagined combat and the soundtrack was fantastic. What I didn’t like were the mostly terrible side quests and the game elements that were intentionally designed to slow you down. The game would’ve been an easy 9/10 for me if they had just removed the bloat.

SkylineRKR

I just beat Hard mode. That def was easier than Normal because of loadouts and knowledge. The no MP thing was never daunting, except for Chapter 17 for obvious reasons. That chapter was easier as well, I absolutely steamrolled most parts but some MP regen between all those fights might've been nice. Well, in hindsight you don't need MP at all. Chakra and prayer can pretty much carry you throughout the game. Cure is more for being lazy and not wanting to build 2 bars for a party heal. Elemental attack kind of offsets magic casts, it builds stagger as well and later on when elements do nothing anymore just put it on armor. Bio was pretty useful in a few fights this time too (such as on the coloseum boss, and the duo). I ended up finishing the game using physical attack builds (Hardedge, knuckles).

Bosses mostly target the player character, this is highly abusable, make him a tank and let the others keep ATB for Pray heals or buffs. This is also because the later bosses are very one dimensional, and kind of require you to abuse counter. I enjoyed the earlier bosses more.

You found one. Never played the original and didn’t have a clue about any of the characters or story except some of their names. I did played the demo that I regret doing because it spoiled me very impressive intro. Finished the game at 3AM last night (because game just refused to end in the last few chapters) and watched the spectacular finale.

Safe to say creators of this thing sure didn’t care a lot explaining much about anything to the newcomers. Actually, this is like sticking a finger in the eye of any innocent newcomer just wanting to play shiny new FF. Yes, you can follow the story despite oddities and unexplainable occurrences (like what is this guy just occasionally creating and vanishing himself out of thin air in front of me as he pleases and why does he hate me and everything else so much). But, it’s all tolerable up until you finish that last highway battle and cross to other realm I guess. From then on, it’s complete bonkers. I had no freaking idea what’s going on. You end up on another planet (or moon)? What? 😆

But as an information nerd, I studied the whole thing afterwards on FF fandom and now it makes more sense but still, it would’ve felt better knowing all this beforehand because all the stuff happening right from the beginning would made much or all the sense.

Materia system is very good and weapon abilities, it all fits well. Why only 3 character parties at the time, why not 4 though? Strange. Mini games and side quests were satisfying, no complaints. Cloud has some Geralt similarities. Graphics mostly top-notch with some already mentioned jarring exceptions. Cutscenes still the best in the industry.

Looking forward to Part 2. Not sure if I should but I’m FF junkie so...😁

Its wise to play the original, how dated it might feel today. You won't understand much about Sephiroth and their struggle otherwise. I have no idea who they wanted to target with this remake, probably both newcomers and vets. You can't call it a remake as they throw many late game hints and events of the original game in this. Which don't make any sense if you never played it. But the ending doesn't make sense for anyone, its Nomura fanfic levels of bullshit.

If you know the original story you can see this as a sort or reimagining or pseudo sequel.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

So I'm on Chapter 14 and have used no guides or looked up anything. I've obviously missed summons materia. I'm sure some of it has been me rushing and especially on side missions.

Can I go back and get them?

Should I just finish or start over using the internet which is something I hate doing with games.

Last edited:

Aenima

So I'm on Chapter 14 and have used no guides or looked up anything. I've obviously missed summons materia. I'm sure some of it has been me rushing and especially on side missions.

Can I go back and get them?

Should I just finish or start over using the internet which is something I hate doing with games.
You dont get many summons, and most are tied to the kid that creates materia for you when you complete the batlle challenges or whatever the name is.
I think thers only 1 in the game world to pick up, its kinda hidden but thers a cutscene that shows it where it is, the path to reach it is more tricky but i managed to find it just exploring without any guides.

Just get some from the kid, and once you finish the game you can select any chapter, so it will be much easier to find the ones you missed.

One of those battle objectives the kid ask u to do is to level up to the max all ur 12 green materias, and once you finish the game your materias level up 3 times faster, so its better to do it after u beat the game.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

You dont get many summons, and most are tied to the kid that creates materia for you when you complete the batlle challenges or whatever the name is.
I think thers only 1 in the game world to pick up, its are kinda hidden as they are not in your face, but i managed to find it just exploring without any guides.

Just get the ones from the kid, and once you finish the game you can select any chapter, so it will be much easier to find the ones you missed.
Ok thanks.

Yea Chadley. I just got bummed because I looked it up and seen you get them through four of his battle Intel challenges.

I was just hoping I could still get some of the ones I missed. It looks like I'll have to finish and do chapter select like you said.

Last edited:

Aenima

Ok thanks.

Yea Chadley. I just got bummed because I looked it up and seen you get them through four of his battle Intel challenges.

I was just hoping I could still get some of the ones I missed. It looks like I'll have to finish and do chapter select like you said.
You will find the kid later on the game as well, so you can still get them before the game end.

Bit_Reactor

Finally, after waiting for 7 years I finally finished Final Fantasy VII Remake and all I have to say is it was great. I don't know if anyone who didn't played the original would like it though, the game seems to be fan service, just a mean to tell you an updated story and it does a great job at it. I would say it's an 8 out of 10 with some 9s in between and a couple of 10s moments.

I don't get the hate for the game, those who didn't like it, what were you expecting? What I really loved is that it isn't just a boring copy of the original a la Demon's Souls, but the original reimagined. It still gives you the main point but you'll get it a little different which for me it was the best decision they could've be make because this way we get a new game, lets call it an alternate FFVII.

So for those who already finished the game what did you like or didn't like about it?

I think it does a pretty bad job at telling a story that's "updated" and really takes all the fangs and maturity out of the original while peddling weird extended universe stuff in no real meaningful/interesting way.

The Bombing Mission starts off on the wrong foot to begin with. You go to the mission, you drop the bomb, then the audience is shown Heideggar blowing the bomb up and reactor. Then they play the Shinra theme on the way out of the tunnel, which really changes the entire tone of the rest of the midgar chapters.

In the original you bombed the reactor and then the whole trip through the city has this playing in the background:

You see some posts for Avalanche and you see the chaos you've wrought. But that's okay right? Because it's for the planet. Shinra is the baddies. Right???

The nuance there is missing in the new entry entirely, which seems to be a trend with modern day writing in general. We can't have bad guys have depth, and we can't have good guys be morally apprehensive at times unless it's a gritty dad sim or something. By making the bombing mission basically "it's all Shinra's fault" there's really nothing to be said about Avalanche's methods and/or if they're doing the right thing, which is a HUGE part of Barret's arc throughout the entire game. Barret is an extremist and his story develops as he finds that he's not the only one with problems with Shinra and maybe there are "other ways" to handle it.

For new players I imagine things like this don't matter. As I imagine things like playing the WORLD MAP THEME in the opening exploration chapter in midgar won't matter to them. As I'm sure having you backtrack through the sewers with not noctis instead of getting new/interesting developments with Tifa/Barret/Cloud/etc won't matter either.

For me though, I'm just so fucking sick of Midgar that watching Square just jerk themselves off for it YET AGAIN just kinda left me tired. The worst part is they barely did anything with it. It's all junk hallways and garbage backgrounds, which we rightfully shit on FFXIII for, and that was only the FIRST half of that game. FFVII is all "walk down a hallway" for the most part.

Things like Time Ghosts, how the Drum exists in the Shinra building, Jessie and the rest of Avalanche being given really weird nonsense side plot lines, more of Nomura OCs that add nothing to the story, etc. I'm just baffled. At one point it looks like the new chapters they want to try something new, but then they didn't have the balls to REALLY lock down into it so they pretend like they don't exist in the parts where the game resembles the original more. Combine that with the fact that everyone goes "we're in uncharted territory now" and "the writers wanted to do something new" with the then quoted interviews of "The rest of the story will closely follow the original" and you have a Remake that's kind of playing cat and mouse with its audience.

I think they should have just said this is a new FF7 project and called it a day, but they called it a remake because it will make billions more money that way. There's tons to like about it, Aerith is great, some of the new interactions are great, etc, but with the weird changes of things like Wall Market and Shinra, and the gameplay mission areas not really "working" with the dissonance the plot line gives I just don't enjoy it as much as others.

And that's not even getting into things like the fight system which is basically a dumbed down Xenoblade/cooldown management fight system with lack of aggro/character/ai management, bloated overdesigned UI for weapon upgrades, the stupid "break" system for enemies, and just overall baffling narrative decisions several parts of the story.

I don't hate on people who "enjoy" the game because it's a "high budget" JRPG which I know we need more of, but when I compare it to the original I see nothing of value really gained by spending half the game supposedly "developing Midgar" which boils down to essentially the menu sidequests from Crisis Core.

y2jmjpj.jpg

STuff like this is funny because people talk about how "gorgeous" the game is but if you take out the skyboxes there's very little ACTUAL geometry in Midgar in the game, and textures STILL can't load properly.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I beat it. I'm glad it was free because it was bad. Weird how FF XIII is shit on but when you put a VII reskin over it the praise it gets is universal. When I finished it I never felt a sense of accomplishment or told myself it was a good game, I just felt a void in my heart.

Final Fantasy VII is dead.

"I just finished Final Fantasy VII remake, and boy, is my one-winged angel tired."

I wrote a lot about why I feel the way I do in the GotY voting thread, but I loved it. I know about as much as anyone could know about the original FFVII without actually playing all the way through it and being a fan (never got past the golden saucer,) and that moderate amount of nostalgia translated into utter delight at the beauty and quality of this game. Wasn't really anticipating the first entry but now I'm waiting eagerly for Remake part 2, which Square will probably find a way to screw up.

Skifi28

About 3 hours in. I like it so far, my biggest complaint is the hideous textures i the environment and cloud's hair that seems really ugly from gameplay distance.

Finished it yesterday. Never liked FF, but this one did it for me. I'd give it a 10/10 if it didn't have a few pacing issues in 2 or 3 chapters (too long/slow for my taste). Otherwise they knocked it out of the park, amazing work. Made it into my top 10 favourite games of all time.

Dunki

I believe you got it wrong, this is not a sequel. It's basically the same story but with some added stuff and little tweaks. Some else said it was a sequel because cloud knew S, but that's.the way it is in the original too
No it is litterally a sequel to Advent Children.

The Sephiroth you see in Part 1 is Sephiroth from Advent Children. The fates at the end are from Advent Children. Sephiroth is always there to delay your actions to change the timeline.

For example in the begining. You encounter Sephiroth the first time you should have met Areith in the streets. He delays it so the Fates attack Arieth so you see her and can meet her. And this goes through the whole game. They also confirmed it that it is a sequel. And the reason why it is calls Remake is because Sephiroth remakes history.

People back then complained that there was no part 1 in the title. But it is not a Remake it is a sequel continuing the Story after Advent Children.

if you want the full dose. Here is some of it

Last edited:
Top Bottom