• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished Final Fantasy VII Remake

Finally, after waiting for 7 years I finally finished Final Fantasy VII Remake and all I have to say is it was great. I don't know if anyone who didn't played the original would like it though, the game seems to be fan service, just a mean to tell you an updated story and it does a great job at it. I would say it's an 8 out of 10 with some 9s in between and a couple of 10s moments.

I don't get the hate for the game, those who didn't like it, what were you expecting? What I really loved is that it isn't just a boring copy of the original a la Demon's Souls, but the original reimagined. It still gives you the main point but you'll get it a little different which for me it was the best decision they could've be make because this way we get a new game, lets call it an alternate FFVII.

So for those who already finished the game what did you like or didn't like about it?

DonJorginho

Banned
Game was amazing, story was great, yeah it went a bit Nomura near the end but imo it's refreshing to see the story not be totally predictable to those that played the OG game many many times.

Has one of the best combat systems I've played in a JRPG, the soundtrack is amazing and they handled the expansion of the story in relation to parts in Midgar that have been fully realised.

Last edited:

Elios83

It was fantastic.
The only disappointment is that it's just part one and the story is totally open and it will take years for the whole project to be completed but they made a great game.

Obviously you can't keep everyone happy, out of 7 million of people who played the game you're definetly going to have the loud minority on message boards that has to be negative because the game was not how they wanted it to be in their minds.

Certinty

I felt it started off well then just got kind of dead? I mean, I know it's only the first part of the story but it's sold as a full complete game and story wise it just doesn't deliver in that sense.

//DEVIL//

I also liked it. I just didn’t understand some of it . I don’t remember the ghosts in the original . I didn’t finish the original I got bored.
Also . Why cloud say to Sephiroth the he can’t be alive at he beginning of the game ? Didnt they fight in final fantasy 7 and defeat him ? Why was he supposed to be dead ?

Whitecrow

Banned
I also liked it. I just didn’t understand some of it . I don’t remember the ghosts in the original . I didn’t finish the original I got bored.
Also . Why cloud say to Sephiroth the he can’t be alive at he beginning of the game ? Didnt they fight in final fantasy 7 and defeat him ? Why was he supposed to be dead ?
Ghosts are entities trying to mantain the original FF 7 story in this new timeline.

reksveks

trying to figure out if it's okay to spoil it but

it's not the same story and
aerith knows it
sephiroth knows it

TLZ

Banned
There's a prequel called FF Crisis Core on the PSP.

Kev Kev

I had a laundry list of complaints, but over all I enjoyed it. The hallways (still my biggest FF complaint), VA is great for video game standards but still cringe and doesn’t feel natural in general (to be fair, no video game has done this well... yet), the battle is too fast (I never even bothered using status ailment items because everything happened so quickly it wasn’t worth the time... and in general there is just too much going on and it stresses me out), the side quests are miserably bad (nothing else to say here, they are serviceable but not good or fun at all, unfortunately), and much, much more.

Honestly if they would have given us a more open world and got rid of all the hallways, I would have been a very happy boy..... but square just does not fucking get it when it comes to that hallway shit 🤦‍♂️. Everyone haaaaates that, yet they continue to do it in nearly every single FF game... smh. That alone is enough for me flip the bird to the whole company and call them “has beens”.

The fact that it is a sequel now, and not a remake, is a big negative for me. Ugh, I could go on and on with my complaints about this game... But there is a lot of good stuff in there too, and I’m looking forward to replaying it soon.

Last edited:

martino

Finally, after waiting for 7 years I finally finished Final Fantasy VII Remake and all I have to say is it was great. I don't know if anyone who didn't played the original would like it though, the game seems to be fan service, just a mean to tell you an updated story and it does a great job at it. I would say it's an 8 out of 10 with some 9s in between and a couple of 10s moments.

I don't get the hate for the game, those who didn't like it, what were you expecting? What I really loved is that it isn't just a boring copy of the original a la Demon's Souls, but the original reimagined. It still gives you the main point but you'll get it a little different which for me it was the best decision they could've be make because this way we get a new game, lets call it an alternate FFVII.

So for those who already finished the game what did you like or didn't like about it?
The hate comes from intransigent fan who cannot accept any changes.
They have right to this opinion.
I'm of those not seeing it as mandatory and like what they did with it (and i hope it will lead to more divergence)
I would have just wanted corridors the be larger and the game less linear (even if it was expected from original content for this part only).
It was also probably the price for this level of graphics on the previous gen.

Last edited:

Mmnow

This game did a lot of things which, while not bad, were going to upset people. 'Episodic' - although not really - was enough to frustrate a bunch of the original userbase ('Why don't they just delay a year and release it all together' is something I genuinely saw). Changing the story? Changing the combat style? Releasing it without blocky characters and with voices?!

The result was overwhelmingly positive, and personally it lived up to my wildest fantasies. But this was probably the biggest remake ever, based on one of the biggest games of all time. There was always going to be some level of upset.

//DEVIL//

Ghosts are entities trying to mantain the original FF 7 story in this new timeline.
That .... is kinda a strange twist to game that should be a remake of the original . It’s like kinda a new game .
Not that I don’t like it . But the ending gave the impression that they now control the timeline

GymWolf

It was an insult to the original game.

A lot of people like the utter shit that is the plot of kingdom hearts so i'm not surprised in the slightest that media and a lot of people liked the third rate fanfiction level changes they made to the original plot.

Last edited:

Mmnow

Why cloud say to Sephiroth the he can’t be alive at he beginning of the game ?
Wasn't the official story that Sephiroth had died? I guess it makes sense, after the most famous soldier of all time dropped off the face of the earth. Cloud also had good reason to presume he was dead (although I can't remember how much they dealt with that in Remake, so I won't spoil it for you).

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The amount of padding such as forced walking segments, stealth running down corridors or bringing back the stagger system from FF XIII so battles take X3 as long to artificially inflate the games length just makes me fucking hate it.

Really cannot see the praise for the soundtrack, it's over produced as fuck, the only tunes that sound identical to the originals were Aerith's theme and Don Corneo's themes so far and I'm at the end of Chapter 14. It's just Masashi Hamauzu going "WHAT IF WE USED ALL THE INSTRUMENTS??? LMAO."

For every one new additional scenario moment I generally liked there was one I dislike, cannot be mad at any scene with Marlene. But oh my god "Remember when Aerith rescues Marlene? What if it was PLAYABLE?" adds nothing to the game like... at all.

Also throwing in the Makonoids and making them go from scary as fuck Showa era Kamen Rider enemies to something from Kamen Rider Faiz is cringe and that whole extra new content was decent but then it got retconned by the whispers? Why even add it then? Fucking stupid.

Most of the mini games are great and all but the original FF VII is cluttered with them so... 👀

Battle system is kinda trashy also, only character who is fun to use is Tifa and maybe Barrett once you get that ability you can go hard on shooting the fuck out of something.

Last edited:

ToadMan

The things I didn’t like were

1. The fake environmental protectionism overtones. There’s one part where they threaten some office workers while conducting terrorism because “da trees” or some stupid shit. Not acceptable to promote that behaviour.

2. The female empowerment and simping from the males while the females are dressed in ridiculous over sexualised outifts. Stupid.

3. That it’s basically a whole load of boring looking corridors forming the backdrop for the combat and Traversal between zones

4. That the game doesn’t open up and let the player experiment with effects, weapons and combat until the final third.

5. Lack of interesting or deep side quests, customisation or other stuff to do.

I actually think I would have preferred a remake in the vein of demons souls - just take the old FF7, bump the graphics, tweak gameplay and sell.

I’ll say that I think the combat is a nice compromise between the classic FF7 combat and something new. And some of the non combat environments looked great.

But by the end I just wanted to finish it to say I finished it and I have zero interest in part 2 right now.

Last edited:

Arkam

Really enjoyed the game. Was like playing an epic interactive movie. Fun gameplay, great visuals..... but then there is the level design.... which is a rats nest at best. Hated traversing the world and going from one section to the other. Despite the game taking ~30 hours I never actually knew my way around. This was compounded by a few fetch quests and long load times.

I really hope SE ups their game for the next one when it comes to level design. Fix that and these games will go from good to great.

oh yea, and fuck those mechanical arm bits.... just speed bumps.

demonstr8

Hey mate, not trying at all to be rude but if you have finished the game how can you come to the conclusion that
it is an alternative FFVII when it is clearly a sequel, not only does the player know but also Sephiroth and Aerith knows as well.

Genuine question, but anyway as for me although I was skeptical at first but I really enjoyed it. It was a fantastic game and the only negative I can out on it was that it still had that feeling that it could have been longer or had more content. Putting summons in a VR combat zone was disappointing for e.g.

Kumomeme

enjoyed the game and the devs team made amazing job. definitely one of the best rpg last gen. the linear dont bother me as thats how first part of the original anyway. however it well done with feels like playing sony 3rd person linear first party game. only lacking is the low effort side quest. i put it 8.5 rating. 9 if there is no whispers ghost stuff, 9.5 if there is no that convulted destiny boss fight.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I beat it last year on Normal. Enjoyed the OST, battles and some characters but hated the level design, padding and some of the changes to the story.

I am now doing Hard mode on PS Plus version on PS5, and the battle system is still great. I enjoy hard mode more than normal mode as I'm fully decked out and battles generally flow quicker because of this. I don't mind not having to abuse items. I like it this way.

I am still indifferent on most of the rest. Some of the padding is seriously annoying, such as in WM, you have to wait, then you have to battle in a tournament and wait some more. And that guy who sends you on a goose chase in 14, yeah no, I didn't like such retreads. Side quests are hit and miss, some like Subterranean menace I liked because of new enemies and a challenging boss if you do it straight away. Most others are MMO tier of shit.

And fuck Jules. I will never get that second belt.

NahaNago

I got disappointed too much by the game and ended up not finishing it. I probably will still try and finish. Just not this month or next month cause I got tons to do.

SkylineRKR

This is a sequel, not a remake. Everything had transpired already, or is at least being visioned as such. Cloud flat out says he beat Sephiroth, and Sephiroth says he's well aware. Cloud sees visions of events that transpired in the original game and you even see the ending at some point. He gets tears all of a sudden when he thinks of an event with Aerith, but he can't pinpoint why just yet. The ghosts ensure the old scenario will happen again, which is why they stop things that tend to play out differently (like Cloud not joining the second bombing run, they ensure Jessie is benched). Sephiroth's goal, is ofcourse killing the ghosts. As in the original timeline he loses and he knows it. With the ghosts dead the writers have full liberty. I wouldn't rule out they make some drastic changes to the original plot.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

This is a sequel, not a remake. Everything had transpired already, or is at least being visioned as such. Cloud flat out says he beat Sephiroth, and Sephiroth says he's well aware. Cloud sees visions of events that transpired in the original game and you even see the ending at some point. He gets tears all of a sudden when he thinks of an event with Aerith, but he can't pinpoint why just yet. The ghosts ensure the old scenario will happen again, which is why they stop things that tend to play out differently (like Cloud not joining the second bombing run, they ensure Jessie is benched). Sephiroth's goal, is ofcourse killing the ghosts. As in the original timeline he loses and he knows it. With the ghosts dead the writers have full liberty. I wouldn't rule out they make some drastic changes to the original plot.
Ah ok. That makes sense. It’s more exiting to as remake part 2 should have new twists since they are no longer following the original 100%.
But to name it 7 remake and has new twists isn’t fitting lol.

SkylineRKR

Overall, despite the poor pacing and weird changes, I had a good time with the game... but the ending just makes me look back with disgust. It's one of the worst endings I've ever seen in any entertainment medium.

I didn't mind the ending much.

I think its interesting that they leave it all open for debate, as every old timer knows the original story and knows how it will all play out. This isn't exciting. Now, Sephiroth isn't bound by fate anymore. He's more threatening than ever imo. The problem is that its Nomura verse and FFVII is already being milked dry with DLC, mobile games and all. I fear this will go down the never ending KH road where everyone just stops giving a fuck.

I liked how Sephiroth was added, actually, since he's so popular. The fight with him and Jenova before that was pretty good. It wouldn't happen if they followed the original game. In the original, he was never much of a rival to cloud. He barely knew him. Cloud happened to luck out and beat him but Sephiroth never saw him as a rival as he was a faceless grunt on his squad. Remake sets them up as rivals straight away. I think thats okay, everyone who knows FFVII knows their struggle and wants them to duke it out.

As for people saying Sephiroth has less impact now because you already beat him, they're wrong. Sephiroth toys with Cloud, one shots him and isn't bound by the ghosts anymore. He can do w/e now.

DJTHEGREY

Honestly... The biggest problem with the game... Is it's not finished... So the changes to the original story or the Remake of the story makes no sense. I won't say the game sucks... But it's not that great. As a stand alone game it leaves too much to be desired. If I did not play the original I don't think the story would be interesting.

The wait for the next part is another issue. Waiting for episodes of Life is strange was horrible.... But with this Remake we could be waiting another year (or two). I'd be really shocked we get it this year.

I second that everyone should play Final Fantasy VII BEFORE playing this game. It's less of a remake and more of a sequel that takes place during the Midgar time-table of the original, but things are being changed due to mysterious forces (some which are explained throughout this game and some questions left unanswered for the sequels).

Last edited:
Great stuff! As a fan of the original this was a dream come true.

Feel like people need to revisit the original. The weird spooky ghosts were showing up there too. The narrative is also weird and confusing from the start.

As for people hating on it, every single FF has haters. It’s the nature of the franchise.

Last edited:

jm89

I'm glad they are going with a updated story, as much as i loved the original i wouldn't have much to looked forward interms of the story if it was the same. Hopefully they do more side story stuff with characters like jessie,biggs and wedge and other characters who didn't get enough screen time in the original.

Having said that please no hanky panky with the big aerith and sepiroth moment. Also the final fight with sepiroth felt bit a bit too fan sevicey, shinra turks or some robot from shinra should have been the final boss, too early for a character who got so little development to be the final boss. As a new player it would feel a bit out of place.

Last edited:
Feel like people need to revisit the original. The weird spooky ghosts were showing up there too. The narrative is also weird and confusing from the start.

Not the same ghosts. The ones in remake are new and are only there because someone is attempting to change history - the history we knew to be true in the original.

AmateurPong

I'm one of those guys that just wanted a remake of the origjnal in HD. After following the developmental trainwreck over the last decade+ it become clear that was never going to happen, but even with those expectations in check this still ended up being one of the worst disappoints for me last gen. I'll give the battle system a pass, even though I don't really like it, but the padding, ridiculous changes, and cringe dialogue/characters were just too much. I get that they had to expand a ten hour section of the original game into 30, but I really didn't give a damn about Cloud tracking down stray cats for some guy in the slums. I must have played the original over a dozen times to completion, but I doubt I'll ever finish this.

sephiroth7x

Y'know what - I loved it. The battle system is a thing of beauty, how it merges the old school with something fresh. The game looks amazing barring the odd issue here and there. The story has always been amazing. The Soundtrack is off the charts, especially the faithful recreations of the original songs.

I think people who shouted about it were mostly those who got so hung up on it being split into parts (how many times have we seen/heard 'I will only play it when its fully released... bla bla'). Then there was the battle of fans where one side shouted 'The games story shouldn't change! What have they done to this person or that person' and the other side shouted, 'They haven't changed it enough. There is too much padding. What is that side quest!? Its only Midgar? That sucks!'

Honestly - in the end - it felt like all those people who screamed and shouted saying that FFVII was overrated on release just attacked everything they could about the remake. 'Look at that door texture! - that must mean the whole game is crap!' - 'Wow look at that padding of side quests - no other game has fetch side quests'.

Sadly, because of all these voices shouting all the things that are normally associated with remakes of games that are beloved, it comes across as negative which is really sad and is more an indictment of the gaming industry at the moment that no one can just 'enjoy' something.

I do however have some issues with it.

1 - As OP stated very correctly, if you haven't played any of the original game or are not familiar with a lot of the game, you may not be so enthused by certain characters are scenes in the game. For me, seeing the ruins of Midgar's streets after the first reactor was massive. Yet for anyone who played the original - they won't have that feel like many nostalgic players will.

2 -
There was absolutely no need to add Sephiroth into the game as they did and absolutely no need to have him as a boss. This was the only decision that I truly hated. There was a real chance to start Part 2 with a bang with it all being set in the past, with Cloud and Sephiroth entering Nibelheim and then it cuts to them all in Kalm. Ready to head into the swamp to take on the Midgar Zolem

3 -
The biker Roche is fucking horrible and not needed in the slightest.

4 - They didn't need all the side quests they put in. I didn't mind them like some people clearly, but they weren't needed. They didn't flesh out any of the world at all and were just tagged on. The story of Midgar and the rise of Avalanche was long enough. I think personally, they got caught between trying to make an RPG and an on rails adventure game.

Hey mate, not trying at all to be rude but if you have finished the game how can you come to the conclusion that
it is an alternative FFVII when it is clearly a sequel, not only does the player know but also Sephiroth and Aerith knows as well.

Genuine question, but anyway as for me although I was skeptical at first but I really enjoyed it. It was a fantastic game and the only negative I can out on it was that it still had that feeling that it could have been longer or had more content. Putting summons in a VR combat zone was disappointing for e.g.
What do you mean a sequel? Do you mean that there's going to be a sequel? I believe everybody knew that.

Lethal01

This is actually the same as the original.
In the original Sephiroth the world thinks sephiroth is dead and Cloud remembers killing him. no changes really happened to that aspect.

in the remake he also says "I killed you with my own two hands" right at the start.

I think the remake story is a lot less confusing that peopl say, they just miss details and refuse to accept the one or two questions that are actually left open.

Lethal01

I like it a lot.
If I could change "one thing" I would have made more environments in the upper Midgard, where the city is cool and makes me want to explore it.
Agreed, I give this game a 10/10. The sequel is the game I'm most excited for.

But it's been 20 years, I wanna explore the upper plate during the day just once.

Last edited:
Top Bottom