• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just completed Resident Evil 8. *Spoilers* Great game but questions for Resident vets.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I really like Resident evil 7 and 8. A reboot to the franchise and 8 seems like a spiritual successor to Resident Evil 4. (the best) After part 8 I have numerous questions:

-WHo the hell is the Duke? He does not fear the monsters in the village, he does not fear Miranda (bringing in newspapers knowing she didn't like it), has all kinds of inside information about all the houses, Was on a guest list visiting the tall vampire chick, Knows Ethan and his story, knows the merchant from resident evil 4 , and seems invincible. Shoot at him and he just laughs. You also got to wonder if he died when Ethan blew up the whole village. I hear rumors he may have been part of a 5th unannounced house in the village. He seems to want to help Ethan stop Miranda. Is he mad she is killing off all of his customers or something deeper?

-Ethan Died in the start of Resident evil 7 and became mold. Every single person infected with the mold had some kind of weird reaction but Ethan seems normal. Why?

-At the start of the game, Miranda takes rose and leaves Ethan alive inside the crashed car. Why? Why not kill him?

-Several times throughout the game Ethan runs into a creepy old hag. WHo is that? If Miranda why not just kill Ethan?

Arachnid

-We don't know anything about the duke. Just that he seems to come from some weird group of not human merchants that the RE4 merchant was a part of.

-You don't necessarily need to get too crazy with the mold abilities. Ethan is just super hard to kill like Jack was. Not much more to it.

-She probably assumed he died in the crash or something. Either way, she didn't have Mia's memories so she didn't understand just how big of a threat he was. Then he started killing the lords and wiping the slate clean for her, which is actually something she wanted according to Heisenberg (she also said it herself right after he killed Lady D, and she gave him a key to send him on his merry way). They were just all failed experiments. It was also stated in-game that she wanted Ethan to become her Lord as replacement of all the failed ones. Basically she's a typical nutty RE villain.

-The hag is Mother Miranda. She was watching Ethan.

Last edited:

OrionNebula

Duke was originally planned to be a 5th boss as well, but ended up only being merchant in the end (which is fine, he’s entertaining enough as is)

I still prefer a merchant to that lame-ass excuse of a store for RE5, where you just magically can just buy and sell anything only because it’s the end of a chapter/act

Ultimately, they both only serves to help you customize your gameplay

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I really like Resident evil 7 and 8. A reboot to the franchise and 8 seems like a spiritual successor to Resident Evil 4. (the best) After part 8 I have numerous questions:

-WHo the hell is the Duke? He does not fear the monsters in the village, he does not fear Miranda (bringing in newspapers knowing she didn't like it), has all kinds of inside information about all the houses, Was on a guest list visiting the tall vampire chick, Knows Ethan and his story, knows the merchant from resident evil 4 , and seems invincible. Shoot at him and he just laughs. You also got to wonder if he died when Ethan blew up the whole village. I hear rumors he may have been part of a 5th unannounced house in the village. He seems to want to help Ethan stop Miranda. Is he mad she is killing off all of his customers or something deeper?

-Ethan Died in the start of Resident evil 7 and became mold. Every single person infected with the mold had some kind of weird reaction but Ethan seems normal. Why?

-At the start of the game, Miranda takes rose and leaves Ethan alive inside the crashed car. Why? Why not kill him?

-Several times throughout the game Ethan runs into a creepy old hag. WHo is that? If Miranda why not just kill Ethan?

- He's a mysterious character and it doesn't really explain where he came from.

- Ethan, Mia and the Baker family never passed the mid-rage infection where they become completely molded. This is likely because Eveline wanted everyone to be part of the family, including Ethan. Lucas was able to take some type of serum that wouldn't allow Eveline to control him. Lucas was working for someone else behind to scenes to help spy on the Baker family.

The initial state of rapid healing and the second stage is hallucinations. The fact that he was able to see Eveline in her true form in RE7, shows Ethan was infected early in RE7.

- Heisenberg said Miranda was testing him to see how strong he was against the other lords of the village. Miranda finally decided to kill Ethan after learning all that she could from Ethan.

Heisenberg - "Don't you get it? It's a test, to see if you're strong enough to be part of Miranda's Family"

Miranda - "Why did Rose come to be? Was it because of her parents? And you are truly a special case. But I've learned all I can from you. Your worth as a lab rat has run out."

EDMIX

-WHo the hell is the Duke?
The game states he shows up to do business one day with them and he basically funds their gear, it gives not much info on him as he is made to be a fun mystery. I'd say its better not to know and leave it to wonder.

Ethan Died in the start of Resident evil 7 and became mold. Every single person infected with the mold had some kind of weird reaction but Ethan seems normal. Why?
Thats not true at all, Ethan also lost several body parts in RE7 with zero explanation on how he lived and how they are back on him....until RE8, that was a mystery, even IN RE8 he loses a hand, that should show you clearly he is actually NOT normal at all.
She wants to see what his powers are and how he adapts to the situation.
Its Miranda, she doesn't kill him as she wants to see what his powers are and she is guiding him to learn more about his mutation as it will in turn give her a good idea of what her Child's powers might be when put into the baby.

Overall, the RE series has had more bad stories then good lol RE7 and RE8 next to Code Veronica might be the best stories ever written in the RE series.

RE8's story is very Metal Gear Solid 2 in regards to Solid Snake Simulation aka S3 plan, where the bad guy wants the good guy to continue to simply test something out and observe the main character to understand their ability, powers etc

DForce DForce lol beat me too it

Last edited:

OrionNebula

I find hilarious when Ethan’s hand get cut off by lady D, and puts it back, that that healing liquid also puts back his coat perfectly at the same time, as if nothing ever happened 😆 I swear, he’d sell his coat to duke and could pass it as ‘’New’’ 😆

Dacon

Banned
I find hilarious when Ethan’s hand get cut off by lady D, and puts it back, that that healing liquid also puts back his coat perfectly at the same time, as if nothing ever happened 😆 I swear, he’d sell his coat to duke and could pass it as ‘’New’’ 😆

He did the same shit in the first one, just rub some Slurm on his parts and shove em back together.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa
The Duke was originally supposed to be introduced as one of the Lords as well, or so I've read. All of that was scrapped in the final version of the game, though.
Mother Miranda had no idea that Ethan was anything else than a regular human being. That's why she assumed he'd die in the crash, and she apparently took an interest in him as she started watching him as the old hag throughout the game.

Excess

I consider this "deus ex machina".

It doesn't need an explanation.

Mozzarella

The writing of Resident Evil games after 3 throws plausibility and logic out of the window so just turn off your brain and enjoy the game, its a very good game with fun gameplay and great art direction, good soundtrack and sexy characters, that should be enough, Writing however is not its strong point, the only games that had decent to good stories are the first 2 and especially the first one.

Ethan plot armor is bigger than all shounen protagonists combined :messenger_tears_of_joy: The villains are all cocky and dont shut up with their ridiculous poses and ideals, then after their poses and laughs you kick their asses and they act surprised, its dumb but its hilarious too, and despite that, the games are good games and this franchise is one of my favorite franchises in gaming, probably my #1 too.

In short, treat it as you treat any Action mindless fun anime or movie, except when it comes to this, aside from the writing, you have other good things to looks for.

Astral Dog

1) my guess is that The Duke is one of the Village's original founders, (the one who was a Duke) he got infected with mold that would explain why he is so mysterious and has influence on the village,other than that he is a merchant and Ethan's ally.(also if he is the village founder that would explain why he turned on Miranda after she destroyed his village)

2)Ethan got infected with mold but overcame his infection and gained free will, like Lucas but without the serum, why? Its not explained 🤷‍♂️ other than sheer will.

3)Miranda's plan was for Ethan to KILL the four lords, she didn't really cared about them and wanted to find why Ethan was special, she also let Mia live for experiments(i hope this is elaborated next game)

4) the old hag was Miranda's disguise, again her plan was to use Ethan to kill the lords and she guided him, also uses that disguise to spy on the villagers.

Miranda probably had some feelings for Ethan, with all the stuff she stole from the house, she wanted Ethan to replace her 'children' but at one point lost interest, probably because he would never join her.

Last edited:

Jada_Li

Banned

-It seems to be implied that The Duke is a B.O.W. like Ethan Winters. Whether The Duke is alive or dead or rather the living dead is unknown but it is likely The Duke and the merchant from RE4 survived because they knew what was going on and left in a timely manner.
I suspect from his attire and hairstyle that he grew up in that village or at least in the surrounding area and may be as old, if not older, as Miranda.
The Duke likely knows about Ethan and his story from the 4 Lords and Miranda or so that's what I picked up on as he said something along the lines of Ethan is the talk of the town, though the villagers clueless and excluded.
Now him knowing the merchant from RE4 could be a hint of a whole network/guild of these types of merchants helping out people like Leon and Ethan.
The Duke originally was supposed to be the 5th Lord according to the extra content in the game like concept art, etc.
How could The Duke be upset at Ethan for "killing off all of his customers" when he stated after dropping Ethan off before facing Miranda? (Actually I don't remember the exact time or place he said something along those lines but I just remember him saying something like that.) that he would have to find a new place and new people to sell to.

-I thought this question was already answered in the game? Because Ethan's strength of will to reunite and rescue Mia and likely him being in denial despite being able to regenerate after severe injuries. It's hinted that Mia was trying to tell him the reality of the situation but he would always change the subject and focus on Rose. Or that's how I interpreted it by "We matter...YOU matter Ethan. But you just won't..."

-Because then what's the point of the game? Game Over.
On a serious note, Miranda wanted to study him because she thought him interesting. She said this before, during or after ripping his heart out. Of course she didn't have any further use for him so it didn't matter if he "died" at that point in time.

-Answer above. Also, using the 4 Lord's is how Miranda studied Ethan's uniqueness.

Artoris

Gold Member
Started the game on Village of Shadows difficulty, and it's very hard
and I am beginning to hate werewolves

squarealex

Village Story is a Garbage...

IDK why they kill Ethan (but Mia staying 3 years on Baker still Alive, yeah, sure...)
IDK why after Village & Castle the game get worse shit
IDK why they pretending Virus Progenitor (Virus-T/Virus-G) is child of Mother Miranda
IDK why they pretending Spencer is a student of Mother Miranda.

Village destroy all lore of Resident Evil.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

IDK why they kill Ethan (but Mia staying 3 years on Baker still Alive, yeah, sure...)
IDK why they pretending Virus Progenitor (Virus-T/Virus-G) is child of Mother Miranda

nah

gamer82

I just recently completed it myself and I feel a bit let down, I’m having more of a hard time with res 3 than I did with this and the boss fights seemed over to quickly bu t my god was Miranda a pain in the ….

Artoris

Gold Member
I’m shocked that people struggled with the standard game’s difficult. It’s one of the easiest games I’ve ever played. Total rollercoaster with 0 difficulty. I finished it on hard as well and it was exactly the same shit. Are you guys game journalists? It was one of the worst things about Village: the lack of difficulty and tension.

Whole game is a mess.
Try the last difficulty and you will have your tension

Mia stayed alive because of Evaline. She wants her mommy. Pay attention next time

I liked both 7 and Village.
Almost platinum on village (mercenaries S rank left).
Also "that boulder smashing asshole" - Heisenberg, I love Chris. :D

niilokin

cult of the black god sounded awesome but I was bit disappointed when Miranda was just another crazy scientist bitch in thend... the duke actually has me hoping there will be more of progenitor/mold/parasite etc affiliated individuals emerging in the games that are not just bioweapon experiments. we already know there's some of it that happened with the ganados cults of old for example. I kind of hoped the werewolves and such would have been at least mix of mutated wildlife and not all just Miranda's expirements.

Top Bottom