• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought my first gaming rig, need games to play

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
There quite a few great Free to Play games. These were perfect for me after building my new PC since I was so broke lol. The only ones I really got into were MoBA's like League of Legends and Heroes of the Storm. There is also Dota 2 but really didnt enjoy that. I'd also recommend Halo 5: Forge and Forza 6 Apex. Both are free to play too! There are a load of other free games so check them all out!

Rocket League, Doom, and Overwatch are must tries! I think Overwatch is having a free weekend right now. It's an insane amount of fun. Elder Scrolls Online is also having a free weekend. It's an MMO and probably my favourite one. It has an optional subscription so if you want you could just buy the game and play it without spending any more money. Other MMO's are World of Warcraft, FFXIV, and Eve Online. Warcraft is my second favourite and I believe Eve is becoming free to play or it already has.

Give the Witcher games a go. They usually go on sale over at gog.com for real cheap. The first one can be really rough and feel dated. The second one is better but the third is so so good. A lot of people seem to hate the combat but it's really not as bad as it's made out to be.

Dark Souls. Try the first one. Try again. Try again. Don't give up, Skeleton. Prepare to have YOU DIED burned into your eyes. Fantastic games and honestly not as hard as they are made out to be. These games aren't PC exlusive but running at 60fps makes a huge difference.

Blam

Oh come on.

Anyways Overwatch has a free weekend right now. You may as well give that a shot.

I mean like real shit, it's just not worth it. If he really wants to be angry at all the smurfs/hackers in silver and on his first 10 games. Yeah I guess go straight ahead.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I mean like real shit, it's just not worth it. If he really wants to be angry at all the smurfs/hackers in silver and on his first 10 games. Yeah I guess go straight ahead.

That isn't everyones experience. I've never felt angry playing it. Even if I'm on losing streak it's still fun to play. Never found any hackers either. Not sure what you're on about.

Mix

totally forgot that Steam runs seasonal sales... I may have to jump in on wednesday and grab a few.

Looking forward to Doom, played it a bit on Xbox One, but once I figured that I could spend the money on a PC, I stopped playing. Overwatch was fun on console, excited to jump into it again on PC. I have never played a MOBA, but I'm interested at the very least.

I really appreciate all the suggestions, guys. Anyone have any idea how long the steam sales last for?

Titanfall 2.

Currently $32 directly through Origin if you enter TITAN20 promo code at checkout. It's a new shooter that has a great campaign and awesome multiplayer with all future DLC promised to be free.

I have a i5-6600K and a 1060 6GB and I run everything at Ultra at 1080p 60fps.

totally forgot that Steam runs seasonal sales... I may have to jump in on wednesday and grab a few.

Looking forward to Doom, played it a bit on Xbox One, but once I figured that I could spend the money on a PC, I stopped playing. Overwatch was fun on console, excited to jump into it again on PC. I have never played a MOBA, but I'm interested at the very least.

I really appreciate all the suggestions, guys. Anyone have any idea how long the steam sales last for?

Seasonal sales usually last 2 weeks. Although I THINK that Autumn's sales usually don't last as long? Can't remember. Anyway, by the end of December there'll be the Winter/Holiday sales, now those are usually nice.

Planet Coaster

Serious Sam 3 bfe

Starcraft 2

Carmageddon

Natural Selection 2

Banished

Cities Skylines

Dcs flaming cliffs 3

Duke nukem 3d megaton

Syf

Banned
Starcraft 2
With this it's worth noting that you can download a free version, which actually has quite a bit of content. I'd do that first to see if you like it. If you do, Blizzard just released a battle chest with all three expansions for $40.

Speely

Banned
Sorry OP... Missed your "free" qualifier when reading your first post. All my suggestions are therefore garbage.

Head.spawn

just saw that, I decided to install the Steep Beta, which is pretty cool.

Ahh, cool I didn't even see that myself. ty

If you've got $4.09 to spare you can also hit up Humble Bundle and scoop up:

Killing Floor
Dangerous Golf
Shadow Complex Remastered
the Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux
Adr1ft
The Mean Greens

Unreal Tournament 99

Okay, so maybe not something that will show off your PC. But it's still fun as ever. DRM free on GOG and on Steam. Goes pretty cheap on sale.

poodaddy

Witcher 2 is so cheap it might as well be free, and it's the GOAT so that's my answer despite you wanting a free recommendation.

Lime

got a 1060 and "contemporary" games you're recommending are KOTOR and Psychonauts? those games ran on my 2012 Macbook lol

yeah, just wait for Steam sales and humble bundles (monthly included) and you'll have way more games than you can handle in no time.

also, Unravel is gorgeous on PC

its a list from 2011, I just wanted to distinguish between 90-2005 vs 2005- and upwards. :p

Shengar

Free stuffs?

-Warframe

-Paladins

-Dota 2

But honestly I need to know your genre preference before I can start recommending tons of stuffs.

ISee

Free:
-Far Cry Blood Dragon should be free atm on Uplay.
-Heroes of the Storm.
-Killer Instinct is free on the win10 store
-Forza Apex 6 (again win10 store)
-Star Wars the old Republic. If you like Kotor1/2 roll a jedi knight or a sith warrior and do the main story. It's good!
-Team Fortress 2
-Mechwarrior Online

Blam

That isn't everyones experience. I've never felt angry playing it. Even if I'm on losing streak it's still fun to play. Never found any hackers either. Not sure what you're on about.

You must either be the luckiest person in the world or you just don't notice it.

Top Bottom