• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Xbox Update – Reveal Secret Achievements Anywhere You Play on Xbox (Is this a good thing?)

kingfey

Banned
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/05...?ocid=Updates_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_5.31.3

Team Xbox is excited to continue bringing new ways to make Xbox better, with you at the center, as we refine the experience and deliver brand new features based on your feedback. The June Xbox update offers the ability to reveal details about secret achievements. You will also see improvements to the speed and reliability of detecting available updates, both in your collection and when you launch a game.

Secret Achievements

Starting in June, you can choose to reveal secret achievements.

If you don’t mind spoilers and want a hint on any of the achievements in the games you’re playing, it’s easy to find the secret achievement details on your Xbox. From within a game, open the guide and go to Game activity > Achievements. When you see a secret achievement, you can now reveal details like the title, achievement description, and Gamerscore. And after you peek, you can go back and hide it or continue to display the details.

You can reveal secret achievements anywhere you like to play and track your achievements, from Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One consoles, the Xbox app for Android and iOS, the Xbox app for Windows PC, and Game Bar on your PC.

tZMPCEr.png

YVXRCAW.png

Yes, it’s a convenient feature , which adds to the user experience particularly for players.into achievements.

Not sure why the question is being asked tbh

Reactions: TLZ

Belthazar

About freaking time, it was a thing on Playstation since the PS3. And it's optional, so nothing is lost for people that don't want to see it. It definitely saves the time googling it if you want to complete a game.

I thought it was already this way.

Then again, I'm pretty into trophies, but ignore achievements as they feel pointless as there is no platinum and any future DLC will take away my 100% completion anyway.

Last edited:

Banned
You don't care about achievements, but you passionately care about others caring about them?

well in some ways they have replaced meaningful unlocks. why add more content to your game if you can just slap an achievement to a certain in-game action and be done with it.

so certainly many devs use it as a way to artificially stretch gametime without much work.

back in the day games also had achievements, but they were in-game unlocks. like unlocking new costumes by doing certain things, unlocking new items/gadgets.

the infinite ammo RPG in Resident Evil is one example, or alternate costumes in MGS.

so I get that some people have the feeling sometimes that that stuff has been replaced by meaningless achievements

well in some ways they have replaced meaningful unlocks. why add more content to your game if you can just slap an achievement to a certain in-game action and be done with it.

so certainly many devs use it as a way to artificially stretch gametime without much work.

back in the day games also had achievements, but they were in-game unlocks. like unlocking new costumes by doing certain things, unlocking new items/gadgets.

the infinite ammo RPG in Resident Evil is one example, or alternate costumes in MGS.

so I get that some people have the feeling sometimes that that stuff has been replaced by meaningless achievements
That stuff isn't out of the games because of achievements. That stuff is out because they can now sell it to you as DLC.

Banned
That stuff isn't out of the games because of achievements. That stuff is out because they can now sell it to you as DLC.

I say it's a mix of both.
the achievements are used as a cheap substitute and the content is removed for additional profit down the line

Last edited:

Helghan

I'm definitely revealing all of them then. Sometimes those achievements aren't spoilers but just hard to get achievements made even more hard by not revealing them.

Who Cares about achievements

Totally agree. Had a mate that would install games and go for the lowest hanging fruit for achievement points. Just looking things up, banging them out and moving on. All the way to 1Mil only for him to say years later he felt he wasted his time and life doing it, all while not enjoying it either.

elliot5

Totally agree. Had a mate that would install games and go for the lowest hanging fruit for achievement points. Just looking things up, banging them out and moving on. All the way to 1Mil only for him to say years later he felt he wasted his time and life doing it, all while not enjoying it either.
Is your friend Rand al Thor

BigBooper

Good. You know you can kinda already do this by finding out more about the hidden achievement? It tells you the name and searches for it with Bing.

anthony2690

Banned
I use to really care for acheivements, but now I just ignore collectible ones now, unless I happen to nearly grab them all in a playthrough naturally.

And I won't grind for acheivements anymore, once a game feels more like a chore or I stop having fun, I move on.

That being said I'm about to hit half a million gamerscore, but I don't actively go for the completions anymore.

I got a few time consuming ones like gears 2 & 4, I gave up on 5, after seeing seriously 5.2 (got seriously 5.1) but when I play gears I want to play PvP, and not horde/escape.

TLZ

Banned
About freaking time, it was a thing on Playstation since the PS3. And it's optional, so nothing is lost for people that don't want to see it. It definitely saves the time googling it if you want to complete a game.
Basically this.

bender

What time is it?
The value is 50pts which is so tiny
The amount of achievements you would need to even get anything worthwile would have to be like 50000 gamerscore lol

They are bricks in the wall. By themselves, about $20 a year. By my calculation that's more value than "don't mean jack shit that all" and that's setting aside the value of people who enjoy collecting them.

They are bricks in the wall. By themselves, about $20 a year. By my calculation that's more value than "don't mean jack shit that all" and that's setting aside the value of people who enjoy collecting them.
$20 a year is still tiny still what can you get for that maybe 1 good game on sale
Come on the amount of work for the return is not even close to worth it

bender

What time is it?
$20 a year is still tiny still what can you get for that maybe 1 good game on sale
Come on the amount of work for the return is not even close to worth it

For 5-10 minutes a day, you can rack up points. AMEM is a brick in that wall. I did 19,971 points last month, somewhere around 107K for the year. Even if you are casual with points collection and stick to Bing searches and the daily activities, it would be really easy to collect enough points to get GPU (35K for 3 months). Earned achievements, even without breaking your gaming routine would add drops to that bucket. That wouldn't be "work" either like other activities. While you want to be dismissive of people enjoyment of Achievement hunting, not that I understand it myself, they still have value even if they aren't your cup of tea.

jaysius

Banned
about fucking time

no negatives, as if you dont wanna know just keep it a secret, if you do wanna know you don't have to go google it anymore!
You didn't have to google it for ages, you could look for help for any achievement and it would bing it right there on your Xbox and open it in the awesome Chrome based Edge browser.

Starhowl

I don't understand this happening at all - no one even asked for it. It's like they let us talk to a wall and completely ignored any requests we made on "Xbox requests". I mean - WTF even?! :mad:
(n)

Kimahri

Banned
yeah, this is one of those things that annoy me that rare time I care about doing achievements. Much simpler to just be able to reveal them. and when I'm at that point I've usually finished the main story anyways.

For 5-10 minutes a day, you can rack up points. AMEM is a brick in that wall. I did 19,971 points last month, somewhere around 107K for the year. Even if you are casual with points collection and stick to Bing searches and the daily activities, it would be really easy to collect enough points to get GPU (35K for 3 months). Earned achievements, even without breaking your gaming routine would add drops to that bucket. That wouldn't be "work" either like other activities. While you want to be dismissive of people enjoyment of Achievement hunting, not that I understand it myself, they still have value even if they aren't your cup of tea.
i love the rewards, i used to do 2 accounts and send them over to my main account i use on xbox but they stopped family sharing, now i used my main xbox account for all gaming purchases ( never paid for gamepass always free, and lots of cheap games in sales ) my other account ive had 2 very expensive mountain bike lights and some camping gear all for free from halfords uk....i hope they never go away )

cormack12

Gold Member
Secret achievements should be things you will naturally get in 99% of playthroughs (or story/chapter spoilered). Nothing worse than uncovering one and it's some obscure shit that you never would have got

Rockondevil

Gold Member
I like this.
I always hated when they hide achievements that are so obscure you'd never find it. I don't mind story ones that you'd get regardless hidden but having this option is great.

Calverz

This is good. Too often there are secret achievements for dumb activities so good for the gamerscore hunters.

It's a good thing. They already do this on PS. It's entirely optional.

Really the only things that should be secret should be explicitly story related achievements that you're going to get automatically. It's dumb to make it secret when it's some obscure thing.

Top Bottom