• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June NPD: The Last of Us 2 #1, Grand Theft Auto 5 #4

Thirty7ven

Banned
EdISpRbVAAARv0s

EdISe1qUwAEH4zi.jpg:large

Marvel Spiderman had 7 more days.

Last edited:

Algorum

Neo Member
Nintendo still slaying.

Animal Crossing currently holds over 400+ hours on my switch. Doubt any other title on that list could reach that glory.

Klik

Wtf how much money they already made from GTA 5 sales+online? This is crazy..

GTA 6 better be good😁

Woopah

That change in position for Ring Fit Adventure is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

GetemMa

Who in the fuck is still buying GTA 5 at this point?

NPD measures total revenue earned from a title, including all MTX spending.

People aren't buying GTA a lot anymore, but the people who are still playing GTA online are spending huge amounts of money on MTX.

GTA's economy is one of the most grindy around. It's like 2 million dollars the high end cars and you earn like 20K for doing missions.

YCoCg

With all that money why can't Rockstar buy back the licenses to the music from the older GTAs?
Because they don't care about older titles, most of the people who worked on them are no longer at Rockstar North, it's all about GTA Online baby.

Woggleman

Because they don't care about older titles, most of the people who worked on them are no longer at Rockstar North, it's all about GTA Online baby.
You would figure that they could buy some good will and if all the original songs were there they might even get some sales on PSN. GTA IV is on X Box as well.

YCoCg

You would figure that they could buy some good will and if all the original songs were there they might even get some sales on PSN. GTA IV is on X Box as well.
They could also easily port GTA3, VC and San Andreas (and Bully) to Switch too but they don't, they don't care about good will or small sales from older games when GTA Online earns enough revenue to compete with new game releases every damn week.

Woggleman

They could also easily port GTA3, VC and San Andreas (and Bully) to Switch too but they don't, they don't care about good will or small sales from older games when GTA Online earns enough revenue to compete with new game releases every damn week.
True. To me Rockstar has been more disrespectful towards the GTA franchise than ND ever was towards TLOU. At least we won't get a patch years down the road that removes stuff from their games that was their upon launch.

Texas Pride

Banned
NPD measures total revenue earned from a title, including all MTX spending.

People aren't buying GTA a lot anymore, but the people who are still playing GTA online are spending huge amounts of money on MTX.

GTA's economy is one of the most grindy around. It's like 2 million dollars the high end cars and you earn like 20K for doing missions.

That's still insane to me. I thought NPD tracked game sales not total revenue?

Last edited:

GetemMa

That's still insane to me. I thought NPD tracked game sales not total revenue?

To be very specific. NPD can track total dollar sales. It depends on the publisher. For Instance Blizzard and Nintendo do not report any digital sales what so ever for their games. It's all down to the publisher. I'm not sure even Sony reports digital spending, if memory serves, they don't.

For the ones that do report all digital spending, the specific MTX numbers are not divulged to the public. They just lump them into a total dollars figure.

There is also the weird caveat with GTA V specifically that buying Shark Cards is often cheaper when you buy it as a bundle with the game. Often digital store fronts will put the shark card/GTA bundles on sale, but Rockstar keep the price of individual Shark Cards the same within the game, so it makes sense to just buy the bundle and just use the Shark Card code that comes with the bundle.

NPD is kind of a mess when trying to figure out where all the money is going but they are getting better. It's just that a lot of big publishers don't fully participate probably because they don't want the public to know how much money they are making from MTX.

Top Bottom