• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JRPG vs WRPG - Who is the current king?

Who is the current RPG king?

• JRPG

Votes: 191 55.0%
  • WRPG

Votes: 156 45.0%

• Total voters

DelireMan7

Definition of RPG and JRPG are something really broad nowadays.

I love the Soulsborne but don't consider them JRPG.
Same go for Nioh and Nier.

Also Horizon Zero Dawn is not RPG even if it's branded as one.
I would argue that Anthem is not a RPG neither.

The genre RPG is too easily given nowadays in the west. Put a skill tree and it becomes a RPG... It doesn't work like this for me.

Concerning the poll I don't know. I tend to play more JRPGs but also appreciate WRPGs. There are great games in both category.

bender

What time is it?
Dark Souls is almost WRPG-like in its design and Stardew Valley is massively influenced by Harvest Moon (Japanese). Seems like there's very little meaningful definition to how you use JRPG and WRPG.

Mechanically? Most western developers don't come close to Japanese developers in terms of deep, action-focused combat.

bender

What time is it?
WRPG = no anime

Wins by default

giphy.gif

bitbydeath

Definition of RPG and JRPG are something really broad nowadays.

I love the Soulsborne but don't consider them JRPG.
Same go for Nioh and Nier.

Also Horizon Zero Dawn is not RPG even if it's branded as one.
I would argue that Anthem is not a RPG neither.

The genre RPG is too easily given nowadays in the west. Put a skill tree and it becomes a RPG... It doesn't work like this for me.

Concerning the poll I don't know. I tend to play more JRPGs but also appreciate WRPGs. There are great games in both category.

That is the definition though. Any game where you define the character development is considered as an RPG.

I haven’t played Anthem but that is part of the gameplay of Horizon with picking skill attributes and clothing.

Yoboman

Yes, I'm being a little facetious.

If Dark Souls and MHW are JRPGs then Breath of the Wild is also in there and I just can't imagine any of those games fitting into that group.

Risky post is risky lol
I dont see how Dark Souls and MHW aren't RPGs?

bitbydeath

• Persona 5
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Bloodborne
  • Demons Souls Remake
  • Nioh 1 and 2
  • Octopath Traveller
  • Xenoblade 2
  • FFXIV Expansions
  • NieR Automata
  • Monster Hunter World
  • 13 Sentinels
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Yakuza Like a Dragon
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Paper Mario the Origami King
  • Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel series

Umm... Those games I crossed out are not JRPGs. They're Japanese games, but they are not RPGs, they're classified as action/adventure games, that's like saying Zelda is an rpg which is not correct. Fire Emblem is a tactical strategy game, can't speak for 13 Sentinels and Paper Mario the Origami King since I haven't played them, but I bet they're not true rpgs either. Even Nier Automata is not really JRPG, it's more actiony than role-playing. Many of these game have some rpg elements, but that doesn't define them as rpg. I swear kids these days can't tell the difference, but it's not their fault they haven't lived the 90's...

Why would you not count Kingdom Hearts but include Final Fantasy? What’s the difference there?

theclaw135

Banned
Top down D&D-likes are a snooze fest. Baldur's Gate, Divinity, or whatever, zzzzz.
Knights of the Old Republic however is great. The heritage is acknowledged, yet nudged to the background.

One simple guideline has served me well. A game's quality is inversely proportional to its resemblance to the works of J.R.R. Tolkien.

bender

What time is it?
Top down D&D-likes are a snooze fest. Baldur's Gate, Divinity, or whatever, zzzzz.
Knights of the Old Republic however is great. The heritage is acknowledged, yet nudged to the background.

One simple guideline has served me well. A game's quality is inversely proportional to its resemblance to the works of J.R.R. Tolkien.

While it's not Shadows of Amn, KOTOR was great but that nudge sent them down the wrong direction that lead to things like Jade Empire, Dragon Age 2, Andromeda and Anthem.

NahaNago

Why would you not count Kingdom Hearts but include Final Fantasy? What’s the difference there?

If were going by history final fantasy main line everyone would swear that every game from 13 under was an jrpg except for 11 of course. Kingdom hearts though would be be debatable if its just an action game or a jrpg. Although I would personally label it an rpg mostly because of the party you fight with. Most of the debates around if a game is a jrpg half the time is when the game doesn't have a party.

theclaw135

Banned
While it's not Shadows of Amn, KOTOR was great but that nudge sent them down the wrong direction that lead to things like Jade Empire, Dragon Age 2, Andromeda and Anthem.

Heh, it is funny. While Jade Empire has its merits, Sonic Chronicles ended their detour into Asian territory faster than a chili dog.

HE1NZ

Banned
JRPGs these days are just WRPGS made by Japanese. Traditional JRPG is a primitive and outdated genre.

bender

What time is it?
Heh, it is funny. While Jade Empire has its merits, Sonic Chronicles ended their detour into Asian territory faster than a chili dog.

I forgot about Sonic Chronicles. Jade Empire has not merits save for serving as a warning to the torrent of dreck their future releases would become. And for Bioware fans, yes they've had good games during the trash tornado but the bad has far outweighed the good.

Senhua

1. JRPG non Anime art style: FF VIIR / NieR / NioH / Souls / Ryū ga Gotoku 7: Hikari to Yami no Yukue / Monster Hunter etc
2. JRPG Anime : Shin Megami Tensei / Tales / Dragon quest
3. WRPG : Cyberpunk etc (mainly eastern europe develoepr games)
4. Pass American and western europe games as usually been filled with leftist propaganda bullshit.

Lethal01

Really curious to ask, what makes Final Fantasy 7 Remake a better game WITHOUT the Cyberpunk issues (bugs and performance)?
I liked FF7 Remake but if i put these games face to face i think Cyberpunk easily takes it.
Writing wise: Main quest and Side quests i would give to Cyberpunk, disagree? why? (im 50 hours in cyberpunk so far and i finished FF7 remake) The stakes are higher with CP and mission design is more interesting, the side missions gives you option to explore different characters and know more about their character and their life, it goes as a series of quests with natural evolving events, while FF7 side quests makes you go looking for cats and grind fight lame monsters. No contest easy win for CP.
Characters: about equal, but i think Cyberpunk characters feel more natural to me, it could be a matter of preference but from FF7 i felt all the characters were just cool anime type of characters, Cloud barely talks, Barret just shouts, Tifa is okay, Sephiroth is like a cringy edgelord, Aerith is okay too (i liked her) what else? (Keep in mind we are talking about the remake only and not the old FF7) that would be another case for those characters as they would be explored better then, but we are talking about part 1 of FF7 Remake here.
Gameplay: I understand that Final Fantasy 7 Remake combat is fun and enjoyable, but it does not offer any change or alternative, its the same part combat where you fight group of enemies every quest, fight a group of robots and beat them to big robot boss and thats it, the humanoid boss fights were the best part of the combat. Other than fighting with your party the gameplay is nothing else. Ahh forgot the minigames those were fun i guess.
Now Cyberpunk is not some kind of god tier in that either but it offers more choice and different tools to play, I would say due to that fact and the mission design itself Cyberpunk is slightly better here.
Soundtrack both amazing but is hard to judge, different genres.
Visual wise both are fucking gorgeous. But i think Cyberpunk is more impressive given its scale and scope.
What else is left?
Care to make a case for why FF7 Remake is better?

I think without the issues Cyberpunk is having (poor performance and bugs/glitches) its easily better than FF7 Remake.
I'm not about to properly dissect the games so this post may get messy and have some repetition.

I had expected I would also have easily given Cyberpunk the win when it comes to main story but no, Delivery really is everything, and Cyberpunk's delivery often feels as stilted and lifeless as it's world, the weak pacing, animation and cinematography also took me out of it from early on. It feels stapled together during key moments. To throw out some very random examples from early game to avoid big spoilers. -The way they transition to the intro montage at the start feels sudden and disconnected from the scene, The scenes in that montage don't flow well and the music doesn't work, it felt like it was meant to be a key element in selling me on V and Jacky becoming friends and really becoming part of Night CIty, so it was a really miss that it didn't acheive that. -The scene where Johnny first encounters Adam Smasher and it cuts doesn't feels like you are faster forwarding it feels like something went wrong and you skipped the scene. The chase scenes also feel extremely scripted and unexciting. They often don't even let you pretend like you are really a part of them. They tried to have a cool scene of the guy with first guy with mantis bladed jumping to your hood and you shooting him of but you never really feel like any of it matters, it always just feels like inconsequential filler. At least the Bike sequences in FF7 felt like real gameplay. The moment to moment dialogue does feel natural I'll give it that, but what the actual content of the conversations often doesn't feel like it actually matters, doesn't feel interesting or entertaining. The jokes don't land. I just feel like I'm trying to get info on my next objective while dealing with the characters attempts at being funny or being longwinded in an attempt to establish their character. I will hold off on going more in-depth on why the characters seems bad to me for brevity and just incase it gets too subjective. Overall FF7 story just mostly felt more well put together and I definitely enjoyed seeing the characters onscreen far more. I was hungry to hear every line the characters had to say in VII where in 2077 I felt like I was just selecting dialogue hoping that I find something that actually gets me to care about the people or plot more.

I should note I played 7 totally in Japanese (voice and subs) and thought the voicework and acting was mostly fantastic. Since it was such a smaller scale game I'd say it ends up being more consistently good than what's in 2077. Bearing in mind it does get a bit more exaggerated. For every line in FF7 that felt rough to me there are 10 example of something feeling off in cyberpunk.

I will say Cyberpunk easily wins when it comes to the writing on the side quests but I find that doing side quests in FF7 does still end up being more fun than 2077. The delamain side quest for example, It truly hooked me with the intro and I was surprised and excited. but In the end it's driving to some location and going towards a car to get a piece of fun dialogue. It is technically more of an "adventure" than much of the stuff in FF7 but it simply doesn't feel good to do and honestly the writing is better than FF7 but it still isn't anything spectacular to me the more story focused ones just have me in a constant state of mild curiosity and wanting to see it to the end. To be clear, I find the driving, combat, stealth and hacking of CP2077 to all feel mediocre. If you were to take the shooting or stealth of 2077 and create a game where that was the main focus then it would be a 4/10 to me vs FF7's combat which ended up being one of my favorite combat system in years. So yeah Cyberpunk may have better set up for it's sidequests and they feels more like real adventures. but I do have way more fun simply doing a quest to clear out colosseum in FF7 due to it's top tier battle system. I don't see myself getting tired of fighting even once part 2 or 3 come out so I don't really think 2077 wins just because it has more variety in gameplay. There is literally a quest in FF7 that is about you clearing out a rat in some backyard. But the rat boss actually ends up being a fun fight so it ends up being a very enjoyable quest.

Of course Cyberpunk has the win when it comes to the amount of content. But I just don't find the content to be very good. For me the best thing about Cyberpunk was by far the absolutely fantastic visuals of the environment, the city is stunning. I am totally jealous that I can't ride around a Midgard that looks as good as night city. But in the end the minor lines you get while walking around the Hubs of FF7, having guys hit on cloud as he walks past in a dress or hearing the whole town talking about the bombing in the background pulled me in, felt very immersive to me, they are clearly just fake npcs with a generous amount of dialogue based on where you are in the story, But having something simple that actually works as intended was way better than than the constant jank of Night city. A thousand people walking around who all fall apart if you blow on their AI too hard but the game give you every tool it can to break the flimsy illusion.

Last edited:

Tschumi

It's WRPG, no doubt, outside of one or two outliers, JRPGs are samey, outdated and often reliant on an uninteresting mode of gameplay.

That said, those outliers - Personas 4 and 5, for instance - are the equal of just about any WRPG.

But, really, even a debatable WRPG title like Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is still more interesting to me than most JRPGs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would’ve thought FF is now too since moving away from turn based to action fighting.

Yes and no, at least in FF7R case it's an amalgamation of real time and turned based. It still has an ATB system and a menu system, in classic mode you literally only use the menu commands to do the action in a very traditional role-playing style.

kuncol02

Banned
JRPGs
  • Bloodborne
  • Demons Souls Remake
  • Nioh 1 and 2
  • NieR Automata
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Dark Souls 3
WRPGs
  • Stardew Valley
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
That aren't RPG games. And NO, what publisher says don't matter. If you would believe genres assigned by them, then Tomb Raider and Hitman are puzzle game. If that games are RPG then Ubisoft is doing only RPG games. Valhalla probably has more choices in it than Horizon and Monster Hunter together.

But then the Souls games would be WRPGs and Stardew Valley/Golf Story would be JRPGs... It's all wacky.
Both of you are actually wrong. Not only because half of that games are not RPG, but also because jRPG is specific subgenre of RPG and it don't matter where game was created. Cthulhu Saves the World or Septerra Core are jRPGs even through they were made in US.
Stardew Valley is clone of Hervest Moon. If SV is wRPG then HM is wRPG to. That makes no sense. That's not how genres work.
Game genre also don't depend on graphic style. Fallout wouldn't suddenly change into jRPG with anime graphics and Final Fantasy 7 wouldn't suddenly become wRPG with Dragon Age graphics.

Thats like saying its not a WRPG without point and click mouse and keyboard controls
There is loots of people who would argue, that it's true. There are even people who don't consider Witcher 3 as wRPG game. You never heard about site called RPGCodex?

If Dark Souls and MHW are JRPGs then Breath of the Wild is also in there and I just can't imagine any of those games fitting into that group.
If Dark Souls is RPG then almost every modern game is RPG and that makes whole genre not existing. It would have status similar to music genre of "music with singing".

Last edited:

KàIRóS

JRPGs win.

Let's be clear here, The Witcher 3 has been carrying the entirety of WRPGs since it came out, there have been some good WRPGs since then like Disco Elysium and The Outer Worlds last year but let's be real, nothing comes close and probably nothing will beat Witcher 3 until maybe The Elder Scrolls VI comes out.

On the other hand JRPGs have made a huge comeback in the past 5 years, ever since Persona 5 came out we've had the best JRPGs since like the ps2 era: Xenoblade, Nier, Dragon Quest, Trails, Tales, Octopath Traveler, Fire Emblem, even FF is starting to turn things around after that awful XIII trilogy, and this is without even counting the more lesser known and indie JRPGs like the Utawerumono trilogy (god I loved those games)

Null Persp

Games in OP are not really RPGs, however my favourite are WRPGs. I still enjoy some JRPG games though.

Last edited:

Hexa

PS3/360 gen console JRPGs were pretty weak with most all the great ones being hand held focused. They made a solid come back on PS4/Switch though. Meanwhile, WRPGs were at their best on 360 but really declined in the PS4/XB1 gen. So right now I'd say JRPGs are better.

Last edited:
I'm not about to properly dissect the games so this post may get messy and have some repetition.

I had expected I would also have easily given Cyberpunk the win when it comes to main story but no, Delivery really is everything, and Cyberpunk's delivery often feels as stilted and lifeless as it's world, the weak pacing, animation and cinematography also took me out of it from early on. It feels stapled together during key moments. To throw out some very random examples from early game to avoid big spoilers. -The way they transition to the intro montage at the start feels sudden and disconnected from the scene, The scenes in that montage don't flow well and the music doesn't work, it felt like it was meant to be a key element in selling me on V and Jacky becoming friends and really becoming part of Night CIty, so it was a really miss that it didn't acheive that. -The scene where Johnny first encounters Adam Smasher and it cuts doesn't feels like you are faster forwarding it feels like something went wrong and you skipped the scene. The chase scenes also feel extremely scripted and unexciting. They often don't even let you pretend like you are really a part of them. They tried to have a cool scene of the guy with first guy with mantis bladed jumping to your hood and you shooting him of but you never really feel like any of it matters, it always just feels like inconsequential filler. At least the Bike sequences in FF7 felt like real gameplay. The moment to moment dialogue does feel natural I'll give it that, but what the actual content of the conversations often doesn't feel like it actually matters, doesn't feel interesting or entertaining. The jokes don't land. I just feel like I'm trying to get info on my next objective while dealing with the characters attempts at being funny or being longwinded in an attempt to establish their character. I will hold off on going more in-depth on why the characters seems bad to me for brevity and just incase it gets too subjective. Overall FF7 story just mostly felt more well put together and I definitely enjoyed seeing the characters onscreen far more. I was hungry to hear every line the characters had to say in VII where in 2077 I felt like I was just selecting dialogue hoping that I find something that actually gets me to care about the people or plot more.

I should note I played 7 totally in Japanese (voice and subs) and thought the voicework and acting was mostly fantastic. Since it was such a smaller scale game I'd say it ends up being more consistently good than what's in 2077. Bearing in mind it does get a bit more exaggerated. For every line in FF7 that felt rough to me there are 10 example of something feeling off in cyberpunk.

I will say Cyberpunk easily wins when it comes to the writing on the side quests but I find that doing side quests in FF7 does still end up being more fun than 2077. The delamain side quest for example, It truly hooked me with the intro and I was surprised and excited. but In the end it's driving to some location and going towards a car to get a piece of fun dialogue. It is technically more of an "adventure" than much of the stuff in FF7 but it simply doesn't feel good to do and honestly the writing is better than FF7 but it still isn't anything spectacular to me the more story focused ones just have me in a constant state of mild curiosity and wanting to see it to the end. To be clear, I find the driving, combat, stealth and hacking of CP2077 to all feel mediocre. If you were to take the shooting or stealth of 2077 and create a game where that was the main focus then it would be a 4/10 to me vs FF7's combat which ended up being one of my favorite combat system in years. So yeah Cyberpunk may have better set up for it's sidequests and they feels more like real adventures. but I do have way more fun simply doing a quest to clear out colosseum in FF7 due to it's top tier battle system. I don't see myself getting tired of fighting even once part 2 or 3 come out so I don't really think 2077 wins just because it has more variety in gameplay. There is literally a quest in FF7 that is about you clearing out a rat in some backyard. But the rat boss actually ends up being a fun fight so it ends up being a very enjoyable quest.

Of course Cyberpunk has the win when it comes to the amount of content. But I just don't find the content to be very good. For me the best thing about Cyberpunk was by far the absolutely fantastic visuals of the environment, the city is stunning. I am totally jealous that I can't ride around a Midgard that looks as good as night city. But in the end the minor lines you get while walking around the Hubs of FF7 felt way more immersive to me, Having guys hit on cloud as he walks past in a dress or hearing the whole town talking about the bombing in the background pulled me in, they are clearly just fake npc with a generous amount of dialouge based on where you are in the story, But having something simple that actually works as intended was way better than than the constant jank of Night city.

Expectations has alot to do with Cyberpunk 2077 core issues, I really wanted to like Cyberpunk 2077 but, Cyberpunk tried to be a little bit of everything, and by doing so I felt it lost its identity, like it doesn't know what it wanted to be, does it want to be Deus Ex or GTA? In the end it falls flat at both imo, the world was convoluted buggy mess, the npcs felt lifeless, it was too ambitious for it's own good, the hype was overblown, the expectations were shattered when the game didn't deliver in the same way it was presented, it's FFXV all over again. At least the narrative in FF7R was an immersive story driven game, roller-coaster ride from start to finish, linear games tend to succeed in this. I had to role my eyes at every gay/lesbian sex scene to appease the woke crowds, shit like this really breaks the immersion for me, and those were intentional not glitches, I really thought we had more choices with interaction with npcs and the world around them, but it all feels very limited and scripted. GTA did it better as far as open world freedom, and Deus Ex did the cyberpunk and rpg better. So I guess my point is FF7R knew exactly what game it wanted to be and executed it flawlessly, while Cyberpunk was a bit too ambitious and didn't know what it trying to be, thus a "disaster" imo. However I do hope they address these issues with patches, but even then I doubt the can fix everything I wanted, so it will never be a perfect game, at least for me. If all goes according to plan FF7R part 2 could be open world, hopefully they learned their mistake with FFXV and deliver something that could possibly even humble Night City, just the prospect of getting more is something to look forward, this ride is not over yet!

Handel

Currently I'd say WRPGs have the higher highs, but less overall quality titles due to Bioware and Bethesda dropping the ball in recent years, plus the failure of CP2077. Larian and Obsidian did a lot of heavy lifting for WRPGs in recent times.

Buggy Loop

I can't stand 90% of JRPGs anymore because of anime and a storyteling so cliche and reliant on convoluted nonsense that tries to make it deeper than it is.

I made my way through Xenoblade 2 with so much cringe. I finished only because i really enjoyed the battle mechanics. So JRPG only really has the Souls series standing out imo.

So WRPG all the way. But again, i'm a super fan of CRPGs. PIllars of Eternity I & II, Torment Tides of Numenera (yes i enjoyed that!), Disco elysium, Divinity Original Sin 1 (i have not played 2 yet but it's better in every way it seems). Or even the more full fledged 3D RPGs like Kingdom come, offer a more immersive and interesting world.

How many more fucking times JRPGs will make you go fetch crystals? What the fuck is up with Japan and crystals? Earth/Water/Air/Fire :pie_sleeping:

gtrwll

JRPGs all the way. There are certainly some gems in WRPGs but lately they have been scarce. And past few years of JRPGs has been great for me: Xenoblade, Trails and Fire Emblem to name a few series.

How many more fucking times JRPGs will make you go fetch crystals? What the fuck is up with Japan and crystals? Earth/Water/Air/Fire :pie_sleeping:
Go play the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games if you want original and mature stories.

There are all kinds of JRPGs, not everything is weeby shit with huge titties and cringe characters.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Go play the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games if you want original and mature stories.

There are all kinds of JRPGs, not everything is weeby shit with huge titties and cringe characters.

I did, at least on PS2. I tried SMT IV and was not impressed. What's recent? Persona? Please, school sims..

edit:
To be clear, I would say it varies generation to generation which one i prefer. But currently? WRPGs for me.

Chrono Trigger is still like in my top 3 best games of all time and i basically grew up with it. I'm not saying there's no good JRPGs, but lately they simply do not click with me.

Last edited:

Alexios

Banned
Yakuza: Like a Dragon stands above everything this generation so JRPG. NieR: Automata, Dragon Quest XI (definitive debacle aside) and Trials of Mana were nice too but probably wouldn't win so definitively against the likes of Divinity: Original Sin 2 and a few other great WRPGs. Gamers win :)

You're missing way too many games. A WRPG list without Wasteland and Torment sequels, lol. Also, Yakuza has always been called an RPG by SEGA even before Like a Dragon's turn based shenanigans so the Kiwami games and 0 count too and are pretty great themselves adding to the victory.

Last edited:
I did, at least on PS2. I tried SMT IV and was not impressed. What's recent? Persona? Please, school sims..
Oh well. No, I was talking about the mainline games, but if you were not impressed by Nocturne and IV then maybe they are not for you.

And Persona is cool, but I wouldn't say they are mature at all. Some mature themes here and there, but lots of power of friendship too.

Buggy Loop

Oh well. No, I was talking about the mainline games, but if you were not impressed by Nocturne and IV then maybe they are not for you.

And Persona is cool, but I wouldn't say they are mature at all. Some mature themes here and there, but lots of power of friendship too.

I liked Nocturne actually, even if i did not finish it. I loved the Digital devil saga games too, they were a wild ride. Just that SMT IV did not click for me. Now if it's a matter of taste changing with time or the quality of the games, i'm not sure.

But you know, it's not like because there's a maximum number of "RPG" that has to split between JRPG/WRPG as a battle each generation, there's plenty of choices for everyone for every tastes. Mine's been fluctuating more towards WRPGs with the recent CRPG renaissance on PC since Pillars of Eternity.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned

edit:
To be clear, I would say it varies generation to generation which one i prefer. But currently? WRPGs for me.

Chrono Trigger is still like in my top 3 best games of all time and i basically grew up with it. I'm not saying there's no good JRPGs, but lately they simply do not click with me.
I would suggest Octopath, or the original Xenoblade. Less anime cringe.

Thats like saying its not a WRPG without point and click mouse and keyboard controls
Exactly. W just means from the west, J just means from Japan. Dark Souls is from Japan, end of story.

People who try and act like JRPGs are only menu-driven Final Fantasy games are using an extremely skewed metric. It basically by definition ensures that JRPGs will always be seen as inferior and dated just because of a faulty definition. When a game like Dark Souls comes along and pushes things into modern territory, they literally try and act like it's a WRPG. There is no WRPG that plays like Dark Souls first of all, and it resembles Monster Hunter more than anything. Mass Effect and Cyberpunk can be action game shooters and no one tries to not call them WRPGs. It's a rigged definition to try and hobble Japanese game rankings.

Just rank it from the region it came from, or retire the terms entirely.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
WRPGs for me.

I’m not a fan of the vast majority of anime-styled stuff (graphics os common story themes/tropes) and don’t like turn-based combat (especially menu-driven stuff) so that eliminates a lot of JRPGs for me.

Alexios

Banned
WRPGs for me.

I’m not a fan of the vast majority of anime-styled stuff (graphics os common story themes/tropes) and don’t like turn-based combat (especially menu-driven stuff) so that eliminates a lot of JRPGs for me.
That eliminates plenty of the best WRPGs too, so you're left with plenty great games on both sides even with that criteria. So kind of silly to pretend anime and turn based is all there is on one side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom