• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joseph Staten is leaving xbox.

I liked infinite as a game tbh - it was really fun, love the grappling hook - but the story wasn’t good. And it was missing a TON of basic features that are standard for halo games.

I guess the main thing is I actually don’t think any of the halo stories are good, at least in the games they were always like b-movie sci fi to me - I get that he’s a part of halo history but yeah. 343 is a sinking ship Id be more stoked if he got back with bungie and did the OG bungie crew for a new marathon game

the thing with infinite was more dire. this dude went to 343 to ship the god damm game.

it seems he and bungie are not in good terms. but who knows

Fredrik

Halo is so completely and utterly dead.

Put that motherfucker on ice for ten goddamn years. Wake it up when someone other than Phil Spencer is in charge.
I would do this:

1. Halo VR - launch a new high spec VR headset with an exclusive VR Halo game, Alyx world/object interaction, grapple, gear/suit upgrades, Metroid Prime-like action adventure, not just shooting, Master Chief is out on his own on alien planets.

2. Halo RPG - hire Neon Giants to make a twin-stick Halo action RPG like The Ascent. Futuristic, gritty, punchy action, visually awesome.

3. Third Person Halo - make The Coalition show off their UE5 skills in a new Gears-like third person shooter Halo, heavy cover action, lots of different biomes, visually amazing.

4. Give Halo to id. Doom Slayer and Master Chief almost look the same anyway.

reksveks

Joseph went to 343 to get Halo Infinite shipped, (game was mostly done before he got there) then went to head up Xbox Publishing. Wonder what happened at Publishing that would make him leave Microsoft?
I think he was a senior member of XGS Publishing (Senior Creative Director) but I think the head is Peter Wyse.

Back to my thoughts, talent retention does seem to be a bit of an issue. 343 has seemed to be a place that's drained alot of energy out of these people.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

It will be interesting to see what Joe works on next, if he stays in the industry.

The initial showing of Halo CE on Xbox hardware with Jason Jones and Joe Staten was magical.

Joe also wrote one of the better Halo novels.
halo-contact-harvest-9781982111694_hr.jpg

Corndog

Banned
wow dude, chill out. . did you read the questions I was replying?

this person doesn't understand why this story is significant.

I was just saying this Joseph Staten IS NOT an ordinary chump.

he WAS seen as the savior (by the community) of infinite BEFORE releasing.

6tYKKNE.jpg

he was seen as figure of leadership inside Xbox

yezz dont get all crazy
And I’m saying learn how to read. Multiple people said he hasn’t been at 343 since January. I posted an article about it.

If you had made this post in January then you would have a point. But it isn’t January. All you’re doing now is trolling like normal.

So much flat out false info in this thread.
Staten joined the Infinite team at the tail end of the development - took a leadership role post the first major delay - basically he got the game shipped.
Plus Staten left 343 already, earlier this year - that news was the shocker to old timer Halo fans. That crowd was hoping he was the savior (me included) - when it appears he was just "the shipper".
Even more broadly - Staten already left and rejoined MS in the past.
Does make you wonder why he's leaving (again) though - he is getting older I think.

Its not all doom and gloom for Halo though because the dude who fixed the MCC is now in charge of 343.

Yes mate, educate these ill informed GAF fools regarding Halo and Staten.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
I would do this:

1. Halo VR - launch a new high spec VR headset with an exclusive VR Halo game, Alyx world/object interaction, grapple, gear/suit upgrades, Metroid Prime-like action adventure, not just shooting, Master Chief is out on his own on alien planets.

2. Halo RPG - hire Neon Giants to make a twin-stick Halo action RPG like The Ascent. Futuristic, gritty, punchy action, visually awesome.

3. Third Person Halo - make The Coalition show off their UE5 skills in a new Gears-like third person shooter Halo, heavy cover action, lots of different biomes, visually amazing.

4. Give Halo to id. Doom Slayer and Master Chief almost look the same anyway.
I agree with all this, but no way to VR.

Bye Joseph! Bye 343!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
People saying going to bungie?

Lol, isn't Joe who demoed destiny on stage and they literally threw out all the work he wrote on destiny one to change it all last minute and destroy years of his work. Or am I getting mixed up?

Do people actually follow the gaming industry or just post hot takes.

Also, who else has left Microsoft recently? I'm totally confused by all these posts.

Is it that Bonnie Ross woman who needed sacking years ago?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's amazing as Microsoft is losing all this crucial talent, the higher ups responsible are safe and overpaid. Been saying for years that Xbox management needs a complete overhaul. Yes, starting with Spencer himself. There comes a point where ignoring all the signs is just ignorant.

Who is all the crucial talent? I've obviously missed so much. I'm properly confused haha

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Shinji Mikami just left Tango after 12 years.

Half of the AAAA Initiative’s staff has left.

I can keep going historically if you like as far back as Rare.
Oh, shinji of course. Yeah, seemed like he wanted to go ages ago. Was talking about retiring a lot.

Not sure on that initiative I know that insomniac guy left.

People leave studios all the time. I mean, you could go through any studio and see people have left and moved on.

It just makes more sense to have the Activision publishing team take over the publishing side of Xbox when the acquisition is finalised.

You don’t need two large teams and one of them is clearly stronger than the other. There’ll be a large round of layoffs, but I suspect it’ll be mostly Xbox guys that’ll go in the end.

Bethesda manage themselves
ABK manage themselves
Xbox has been and is managed poorly from a portfolio point of view.

I do wonder where he’ll end up. Would be wild if it were SIE, but could equally be with another start up.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
Halo Infinite multiplayer is the Xbox game i have played the most.It's just pure fun.It's just sad that arena shooters are a dying breed now and people only care for battle royale.

if he wanted to work at bungie again, now is the worst time.

Bungie is as much of a shadow of its former self as halo is.
Well now Bungie is a thousand people multi-project juggernaut, I doubt they can be the shadow of when they were way smaller and nearly imploded due to massive crunch during Halo 2 development

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Yeah I realize he was important to the series.

But, the reasons I liked Halo have nothing to do with the story. I find it to be pretty crap tbh.

I liked Halo because of the engaging sandbox gameplay
That's great. Different people like the series for different or multiple reasons, though.

Robb

Gold Member
Too bad, he seemed like a genuine guy from the little I’ve seen of him. Hopefully 343i is on a better path now though.

Top Bottom