• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Josef Fares shares his genius game design philosophy, reveals why It Takes Two is a "fucked up game"

Bartski

Gold Member
“MY ROLE IS TO PUSH EVERYBODY TO FUCK SHIT UP.”
Josef Fares, Hazelight Studios

J: COULD YOU EXPAND ON YOUR “FUCK SHIT UP” MANTRA?

It's actually quite simple. If you look at people who play our games, they're like, “whoa, what the fuck?” That's what I mean — taking everything to the next level. Don't take your first idea and say “Okay, let's do that.” Let's go for the second, the third idea. How can we make players ask, “What's going on?”

Many developers are way more fucked up than they think. Fucked up is a good thing! My role is to push everybody to fuck shit up. It Takes Two is a fucked-up game, in a good way.

That's how you create a game that’s full of passion, love, creativity, and mad ideas.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
F*** You Geo.... I mean Oscars. Man is nuts but people do enjoy the games he releases , whatever he's on I need some of it.

nowhat

Man is nuts but people do enjoy the games he releases
Oh absolutely, I've played about 8 hours of this with a buddy both online and local co-op, and It Takes Two has been an absolute blast. Now mind you, we may have been quite intoxicated (not Josef Fares level though), so we may be taking our sweet time with the game, but laughing about the whole thing and purposelly messing up each others actions is at least for me definitely a part of the fun.

saintjules

Great game so far, been playing with my Brother. Game needs online matchmaking for those that don't have friends who want to play this. You're pretty much SOL at that point.

bender

What time is it?
I think there's a method to his madness, and you can get into it too!

It starts with "C" and rhymes with "ocaine".

Goddamnit.

Still:

giphy.gif

Top Bottom