• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Josef Fares (Director of Brothers & A Way Out) rips into Microsoft over Xbox Series X name: ''It's a total f*cking mess''

Iced Arcade

I remember them talking about wanting to drop an additional name and just call it "XBOX" but then comes along 2 pieces of hardware and now you need to describe the 2 from each other.

they are confusing names for sure

Last edited:

Roberts

I wonder what he thinks of typical household appliance (TVs, washing machines etc.) naming conventions. X5DC00N7 or G5UINA56x? Hmm.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
qUZm90y.jpg

sircaw

Banned
It does amaze me that they are so bad at naming their consoles when they are so good at creating overhyped buzzwords like Velocity architecture.

Keep in mind this is the same guy. However, he has a decent point.

Dude seems like an amazing eccentric creator, something the world could have more of. If we had more people like him shouting fuck the bs Oscar's and other pretensious shit and more creative endovors maybe the movie industry wouldn't be hell bent on shit writing, gender and race swap crap reboots and actually make compelling original film like they did in the past (especially in the 80s and 90s).

As for gaming, luckily we do have people like him and others who are willing to make what they want, think outside the box and try something original and new. Sometimes these odd projects are bad like anything but at least it is tried and not just a rehash of battle Royale multiplayer #89.

Shubh_C63

I am not really sure these are THAT confusing.
I mean it's not confusing for us, we live and breathe gaming news.

And for normal folks, the price point is the deciding factor anyway. The costly one, the bulky one, the smaller one. They could care less what its name.

The only reasoning I hear that kids Christmas list might get misinterpreted by clueless parents.

SSfox

Can't say i disagree. But in a sens MS has always been trash on naming their console, i remember Xbox 360 was supposed to be named Xenon, i though it was cool name, there was even an easter egg at a DOA4 stage saying "xenon is coming", because DOA team tough it was gonna be the name of the console, but MS chose to name it Xbox 360, despites i liked the console and had great time with it (last Xbox i ever bought and last good Xbox console), always though it has a weird name at the start, after that i simply stopped thinking about the name but yeah it's a weird name.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Ack c'mon its a terrible series of names, Xbox 1, Xbox 1X, Xbox Series X Xbox Series S... it just doesn't roll off the tongue or invoke the same response as PS3, PS4.... *drumroll... PS5, i mean when we get to a mid gen refresh we'll get PS5 Pro, nice simple clear and concise.... what the fuck is MS gonna call theirs? better yet if we get another gen then what??

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I had the same thought PlayStation names basically let you know it’s a new generation.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Thanks for sharing this valuable perspective.

I wonder if eventually he’ll share his opinion on the Oblivion “Horse armor” DLC controversy

There are only 2 models either this guy is retarded or has brain damage to not differentiate 2 SKU’s.

You're saying the average consumer will know the difference between xbox one x and xbox series x? He's fucking right, most people won't. Moms and dads will surely not. People new to gaming surely will not. And so on. It's a stupid fucking name.

DESTROYA

You're saying the average consumer will know the difference between xbox one x and xbox series x? He's fucking right, most people won't. Moms and dads will surely not. People new to gaming surely will not. And so on. It's a stupid fucking name.
high quality GIF

Most average consumers with half a brain would notice the price difference and ask whats different about the models don’t you think ?
Maybe some people will be confused but you got to give more people the benefit of the doubt before thinking they are complete morons , I know I do .

high quality GIF

Most average consumers with half a brain would notice the price difference and ask whats different about the models don’t you think ?
Maybe some people will be confused but you got to give more people the benefit of the doubt before thinking they are complete morons , I know I do .

They won't. When series x launched there was a huge spike in purchases for one x. I think we even had a thread about it. With time naturally they'll figure it out but that does not change the name is ugh.

DESTROYA

They won't. When series x launched there was a huge spike in purchases for one x. I think we even had a thread about it. With time naturally they'll figure it out but that does not change the name is ugh.
I think that was completely overblown and of course a gaming forum would overplay that story.

synce

It is without doubt the most idiotic name in mainstream console history for multiple reasons, not the least of which is having 4 or more consoles on the market with similar sounding names at similar prices. I keep up with gaming somewhat and I stopped caring what each version is.

BlackGauna

The stupid names started with the 360 and by now they maybe fully embraced it and keep naming their consoles like that on purpose.

Zelent

The name is terrible and there is no defending it.

Games media professionals and journalists still get the names confused on almost every gaming podcast I listen to.
I don't even remember the WiiU being that bad.

The Alien

Banned
Not really a fan of the name either as I don't thinknit sufficiently differentiates it from the One.

Beyond that, don't find it overly complicated.
This guy needs to chill.

35cent

It's not the best name in the world but I don't see the problem here. A 2 second search on google will tell you the name of the new Xbox or all of those ads which tell you the name of the console should do as well.

SebastianM

Why they didn’t just call it XBox 5 will forever amaze me. This whole nonsense started from being afraid of XBox 2 vs PlayStation 3, but the Series S has now rectified that.

Exactly, One X was the fourth Xbox, should've gone with Xbox 5 and Xbox 5 Lite 🤷

Xbox - It's named after DirectX because they wanted to bring games to the living Room

Xbox 360 - It's named after you being at the center of the Xbox ecosystem. They also named it Xbox 360 instead of Xbox 2 because the PlayStation 3 was already announced and 3 is a higher number then 2. Remember, average people don't know the overall difference between these systems so most are probably think PlayStation 3 was a newer system.

Xbox One - That's pretty much just named because it's an all-in-one box. You can play games, watch movies and watch live action TV basically no reason to have a set top box anymore.

Xbox Series X - With this I think they're just giving up naming systems down the road now. Kind of like everything else in the world, You got an iPhone 12, Iphone 12 Mini and iPhone 12 pro. That's why when you launch the Xbox series X/S It just says Xbox.

Now granted I did do that where I called the Xbox One X the Xbox series X and the Xbox series X Xbox One X but I also did that with the PlayStation 5 with the PlayStation 4 only because it's the newer system is meshing with the older system. It's been 2 months since they been out and I have not made that mistake.

You know what really is a lazy one though is PlayStation. I mean we already know what the next one's going to be called 😉.

Last edited:
Top Bottom